Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

ComcastMichele
Official Employee

Re: New Plan or Scam

@nathan200 Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your billing & promotional concerns. I very much appreciate your patience and greatly apologize for the delay in our response. I know how important the services are to your home and we want to do all that we can to assist. We always have offers and options, available for our current customers I would love to get you set up with an account review. Can you please reach out through private message (this link will advise how https://comca.st/3c95hSv) with your first and last name, name on the account if different, service address and account number? If you’re having trouble locating this information, you can also reference our world-class MyAccount app to view all of your account details by the simple touch of your fingertips! Please follow the process here to learn how to obtain that information: https://comca.st/39itrIp;

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
skywurz
New Poster

Courtesy month conveniently vanishes.

I too have had abnormal spikes in useage. However when i was getting close to the cap early in the month due to known added traffic i checked and saw that i had 1 Courtesy month avalible. After i hit the max i went and checked on my account and see that the courtesy month has conveniently disapeared and i now have the text "You have been charged $100.00 for the additional data provided over your data usage plan."  I cant seem to get any reps to talk to me about this. 

logically
Frequent Visitor

Data Usuage

In the last 6 months, I am averaging 766 GB.  This particular month my usage will be up to almost 1100 GB and I am receiving email warnings about it possibly costing me an extra charge.   Do I get a refund for not using all of my data in the previous months?  Why are you not offering rollover GB for unused bytes? I think it is only fair to offer this enlight that we all are not habitual users of the internet and that there are customers with students needing good WI-Fi for school purposes...

Gambit66
Problem Solver

Re: Data Usuage

@logically wrote:

In the last 6 months, I am averaging 766 GB.  This particular month my usage will be up to almost 1100 GB and I am receiving email warnings about it possibly costing me an extra charge.   Do I get a refund for not using all of my data in the previous months?  Why are you not offering rollover GB for unused bytes? I think it is only fair to offer this enlight that we all are not habitual users of the internet and that there are customers with students needing good WI-Fi for school purposes...

There is no roll over for unused Data at Xfinity.

logically
Frequent Visitor

There should be. It is not right to overcharge when usage is high and not credit when usage is low.  You are a utility company and should adjust billing like the power companies and water companies do. Bill based on usage.  You have a monopoly in this area and are abusing the control.  My daughter has unlimited internet at a much lower cost.  It will not affect your bottom line but gain more respect out of you exisiting customers.   

strega7
Regular Contributor

@logically, it's interesting that you want billing based on usage, because I think more people in this thread want more like the opposite – unlimited with no metering. It think it would be interesting to see how habits would change if your internet bill was for example, $32/month if you used 102GB, or $157 if you used 1.5TB. All totally made-up numbers of course, but yeah, more like the power bill. I'm sure many people would get better at monitoring their data. (But I think a lot of people don’t want to.)

There are data plans that roll-over. However, the ones I've seen give you lower amounts of data per month than comparable plans that don't roll. I think we both know that if Comcast were to start rolling data, they'd likely do the same to make it all work out about the same "on average". Ie: We roll over data now "woo hoo!" Oh and the new cap is 700GB, but thanks to roll-over data, if you're frugal, you could save up enough to use several TB in a month!  (Like the prices above, 700GB is a pure guess.)

EM2020
New Poster

High internet date usage over 6 months

We live in a house of 2 people. One person works from home and has been since April. Our data usage has increased significantly only the past 6 months from 650GB in July to 750 to 800 to 850 back down to 700 in Nov then it went up to 1000GB in Dec. Now Jan we have reached 1200GB. We do not seem to understand why our data is so high... when speaking with an xfinity rep, he was unable to explain nor give us a list of our devices using our data. I am also unable to find our devices on our app. The fact that our data has increased so much since July with no change to our lifestyle is concerning, especially with data caps coming in 2021. Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.
logically
Frequent Visitor

Being retired and not a gamer the prices do matter to retirees.  Having grandchildren over to do their online classes since my internet is more reliable than Hughes Net is also a contributing factor;  The price that we would be charged for unlimited internet is obscene to what other companies charge.

Spectrum 49.99 no data cap

Which providers have data caps?
Provider Type of service Data cap Monthly data cap Overage fees
AT&TDSL, FiberYes1 TB–Unlimited$10/50 GB
RCNFiberNoUnlimitedNone
XfinityCableYes1.2 TB$10/50 GB
FrontierDSL, FiberNoUnlimitedNone
Google FiberFiberNoUnlimitedNone
CenturyLinkDSL, FiberYes1 TB–UnlimitedNone
WindstreamDSL, FiberNoUnlimitedNone
SpectrumCableNoUnlimitedNone
Cox CommunicationsCableYes1.25 TB$10/50 GB
OptimumCableNoUnlimitedNone
sephiroth726
New Poster

Massive Data Usage

Starting last month Xfinity started telling me I’m using all of my data. They charge $10 for 50GB once you go over which is a huge rip off. We’ve changed nothing we’ve streamed almost everything we watch for years and NEVER come close to 1.2 TB but now I magically go over every month!? Last month is also the first time I’ve ever got an AD for their unlimited plan that’s never available. I’m hearing many reports from people about the same thing happening to them. Something isn’t right on their end, my highest month ever was 800 GB last year (until now), normally it’s 600 or below with 3 TVs streaming. To use that much data I’d have to have thousands of hours of movies streaming, it’s nearly impossible. I’m honestly tired of Xfinity but there’s not really another option around here.
cfa2
Regular Visitor

High Data Usage for no reason - No one can help me.

My data usage has averaged 70G to 250G since January 2020.  In November and December, this started to increase for no apparent reason even when i had less devices on my network.  On 1/15/21, i received notification that i was at 75% of 1.2TB.  Realizing that was impossible, I began to call xFinity for days.  I have kept a diary/log of my calls with screen shots and am frustrated that no one can tell me why my data usage is showing so high.  Today's usuage with a few more days left in January is 1826GB.  On 1/22/21,  have filed a complaint with the FCC.   I will not be paying additional money to xFinity for data usage that no one can explain.   Anyone have any other ideas?

sephiroth726
New Poster

Re: Massive Data Usage

Maybe thousands of hours is a bit much lol but it’s still difficult to use 1.2 TB. We’ve still never came close to it in the past. Either way it seems very unethical to roll out these limits on people when a lot of people have stayed home more than usual. I’m 99% positive we are not using that much data. According to my router it appears to be MUCH less.
sephiroth726
New Poster

Re: High Data Usage for no reason - No one can help me.

Same here, I’m about to file a complaint as well. It’s all over the place... it’s clear Xfinity is scamming thousands of people and CS isn’t helpful. I’ve had almost everything shut off for a couple days but have magically used 100GB more (extra $20). I started seeing this problem in December & now I magically go over every month. We haven’t changed anything & normally average 800 GB or less.
strega7
Regular Contributor

@logically, keep in mind that the $49.99* with Spectrum is their new customer promotional price.  If you follow the asterisk to the bottom of the page, it tells you that after 12 months, "standard rates" apply, but doesn't say what those rates are. I didn't follow it any further since they don't serve my area anyway.

Just for comparison, my new customer promotional price with Xfinity was 29.95 for 24 months. 

flatlander3
Regular Contributor

@cfa2 

Suggestion?  Sure.  Did this for a friend who had to find a hijacked device problem in his house.  Yeah.  A camera.  Firmware exploit:

Assuming you configured your gateway correctly and aren't using the horrid default settings causing the problem, (Firewall -- highest level, portscan block enabled, disable ICMP, disable UPnP, disable any kind of remote access,  disable any kind of file sharing like netgear readyshare, no port forwards, changed the admin password.....etc)   Advice is cheap.  Engineering time isn't. Here's a $0 data logger solution to help track the problem with stuff you already likely have: 

Spare laptop x64, or one you aren't currently using.  8G USB stick minimum -- larger is better.  Ethernet cable. (i386 laptop solution is different)
We don't care if the hard drive works, in fact, we won't be using it.  When you remove the USB stick we create, it's back to normal. We just want the CPU, WiFi and RAM on the laptop.
Down and dirty.  Stock Linux.  Couple of packages.  Edit one text config file.  That's it.

Hardware Setup:  Xfinity-Gateway ethernet port <-ethernet cable-> Laptop

Theory:  We turn the laptop into a WiFi access point.  You connect groups of devices to it.  Phones/tablets first. See if they are the data pigs.  Then add stupid stuff like "alexa" and "smart devices..plugs/outlets/thermostats.." See if they are the problem.  Then remove those, and add a laptop at a time.  This has limitations.  About 9-12Mbps throughput max through the access point.  Enough to blow your 1.2T cap though in a month running 24/7. Also, lots of devices connected at the same time are hard on this setup on a USB stick.  If you actually install on a hard drive, it would work better, but you don't have to.  Just boot from the USB stick.  It also has limited physical range. This is not a whole house solution.

You are going to make a bootable USB drive with a free utility called unetbootin.  Find it on github (search) or here is their website: https://unetbootin.github.io/  (windows/mac/linux).  From the top dropdown window, select Ubuntu for a distribution.  Select 18.04_Live_x64 for a version -- yes, use that one.  You want to  add a "Persistance" file so your install can remember your configuration between boots.  Type 3000 in the box  for 8G USB.  Type 4000 or more for larger USB sticks. (ubuntu itself will use 4+GB on the stick). It downloads and makes the bootable USB drive with one click.  This Erases the USB Stick!

Now boot the USB stick.  F12 or F8 on power up to get a boot menu.  Sometimes F2 or Alt-[some key].  
Depends on BIOS.  You may have to look it up for your laptop.  On the blue unetbootin menu that comes up, use default, or Try Ubuntu.
NOT INSTALL!!

When Ubuntu starts, the button in the lower left on the screen is where your programs are.
show applications --> software & Updates
Check the box that says "community-maintained free and open source software(universe)" -- you need stuff. Hit close, and then hit the button that says "Reload" to update the package cache.

show applications --> terminal  
Type this at the ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ prompt:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install net-tools sockstat darkstat vnstat tcpdump  

(y=yes to install)

Ubuntu can be an access point.  In the upper right corner, hit the down arrow symbol. Select the tool symbol  wrench/sdriver.  Now look at the top of that window. There are 3 horizontal lines between the switch off symbol and the window buttons (min, max close) on the top of the page.  It's a menu. Click it and Select turn access point/hotspot on.  The SSID=ubuntu.  The wifi-password is shown and is auto-generated.

We're going to setup darkstat to listen to the ethernet interface.  In terminal type:
ifconfig

The ethernet interface is enp3s0 on this box -- you will be different.
enp3s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
       inet 192.168.10.48  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.10.255

The wireless interface running the hotspot is here -- you will be different too.
wlp2s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
       inet 10.42.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.42.0.255

You need the device name for ethernet (enp3s0) on this laptop, and it's IP address 192.168.10.48.

In terminal, edit darkstat's configuration file:
sudo nano /etc/darkstat/init.cfg

Remove the #'s to uncomment lines to make them work.  # is a comment and ignored.  Since my ethernet port address is
192.168.10.48 and the device is enp3s0, I change the INTERFACE, LOCAL and BINDIP lines to say  

INTERFACE="-i enp3s0"
LOCAL="l 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0"

BINDIP="-b 192.168.10.48"

You change the last octet of the ethernet ip address on the LOCAL line to zero (192.168.10.48 to 192.168.10.0).  Your network topology may be different.

Here is the complete configuration file -- match your network and devices, don't just copy and paste:

# Turn this to yes when you have configured the options below.
START_DARKSTAT=yes
# Don't forget to read the man page.
# You must set this option, else darkstat may not listen to
# the interface you want
INTERFACE="-i enp3s0"
DIR="/var/lib/darkstat"
PORT="-p 666"
BINDIP="-b 192.168.10.48"
LOCAL="-l 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0"
# File will be relative to $DIR:
DAYLOG="--daylog darkstat.log"
# Don't reverse resolve IPs to host names
DNS="--no-dns"
#FILTER="not (src net 192.168.0 and dst net 192.168.0)"
# Additional command line Arguments:
# OPTIONS="--syslog --no-macs"
(CTRL-X to save)

Will the enp3s0 ip address change?  Maybe when you lose power or reboot your gateway, but probably not often. You can make a dhcp reservation for the laptop from your gateway for it and it won't.

Now in terminal, restart darkstat:
sudo /etc/init.d/darkstat restart

If everything went OK, you can open a web browser on your network to your ethernet ip address:port 666: http://192.168.10.48:666  If you get nothing, your config file isn't right, or you typed in the wrong IP:port.  Take another look at the config file, fix it, then restart darkstat. Quotes/syntax is important.   You get historical total graphs, and data tables that show you what is currently talking.  Also, every location talking to your laptop IP out there in the weberverse. It could be an evil connection from outside your network messing with you, or devices connected to the WiFi access point.  Look for it.

OK great.  Now whatever connects to the access point is data logged, so lets start by connecting groups of things.  Make sure "AutoJoin" is off on your devices, or 'forget' your gateway wifi password so they don't switch to the regular wifi.

Find your data pig. If it's in the group of devices currently connected to your access point, the data counter will go insane.  It's one of those.  You can also change the config file to just lisen to the wireless wlp2s0 interface (on my laptop) and 10.42.0.0 network, ip address 10.42.0.1 too (INTERFACE,LOCAL,BINDIP lines).  That will show you the specific device on your access point spewing data. You will only be able to see darkstat from the laptop then -- http://10.42.0.1:666  but you can narrow down specific devices.  You also have a full linux, portable distribution on a USB stick for other tools like wireshark if you really want to get into data probing. (sudo apt-get install wireshark)

By the way, if you've done this, you are one step away from a real time adaptive firewall / data throttling solution that fixes this issue for good.....but that's another story......

HISTORY
      darkstat  was written in 2001, largely as a result of a certain Australian cable Internet provider intro‐
      ducing a 3GB monthly traffic limit.
--enjoy

logically
Frequent Visitor

I left sprint because they offered promo offers to new customers while not rewarding their loyal customers.   The old carrot/donkey treatment is insulting to most.

cfa2
Regular Visitor

@flatlander3 thanks.  It's very technical but I have a friend who maybe can help me.  

johnviet
Contributor

Overages on Data plan

I don't believe that I am going that much over my data plan. What is Xfinity trying to do? This is highway robbery. I'm going to start shopping around.

Gottahavit
Regular Contributor

Re: Overages on Data plan

be greatful if you live an area where you can shop around.  The only option we have here is a 3mb dsl, although starlink will be here in a month and I may start looking at that.  For the prices we pay there should be no cap and no metering.

Deegeee
New Poster

Xfinity wants to pretend that this 1.2gb limit is a huge amount of data. It is not, especially for a family with numerous children being forced to stream all day school, parents that need to work from home, and a global pandemic forcing social interactions strictly via the internet. Xfinity’s talking point is “only 5% use more data”. What they don’t state is that 2 yrs ago this number was 1%, nor do they share how many people are using right up to the 1.2 limit. This is a cruel policy to impose in the mists of a global pandemic when families can not vacation, kids can’t play sports, and mental illness is on the rise because of social isolation. Suggestions:
1. If you are near the data limit during this grace period (when any overage fees are waived), blow pass the limit. Use the same amount of data as you need. Suppressing usage gives XF more talking points that using more data is rare.
2. Write your state and federal representatives. XF is a monopoly utility in lots of areas. Imposing this limitation during a global pandemic when data needs are crucial, and rising, is immoral. Congress and some states are already considering legislation and this needs to be encouraged.
3. If you do have a worthy option, even if you are not near the cap, consider changing. Data usage goes up every year as video resolution increases and we become more dependent on fast, robust internet. It may not affect you now, but it soon will.
interscust8549
New Poster

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

So I have not seen this idea kicked around yet , does comcast remove cloned modems from the usage meter? I have some cable experience, and cloned cable modems may cause phantom usage on accounts, isn’t that right?
So the people that are seeing their usage continue to grow, with the modem offline, might be victims of this? Or has the data metering improved enough so that modems outside the head end are eliminated from the data cap? My reported usage does not add up. all my computers added up to ~ 150GB of data, not even close to 1.2TB of data. I have ignored the usage meter, as it has never been an issue for my household, except now my usage has steadily grown, with no major changes in our internet behavior.
I have secured my modem, router, new passwords for comcast. but it still rises. As i own my modem am debating about buying a new one, so that any cloned modems would not add to my usage.

strega7
Regular Contributor

@interscust8549  There have been a few reports over the years of people switching modems and having their use drop dramatically.  Various theories as to why that might be have been mentioned, so I think results are definately not guanranteed.  If you do it, please let us know the result.

BocaMin
Frequent Visitor

Sorry. It is now 2021 and the same issue continues, at least, in South Florida. This feels like a manmade pandemic. Any solutions yet?

Ikisis
New Poster

I'm also in South Florida.
I received a notification at 10:30pm last night about 100% my data and they gave me 50. Gb for free, by the time I woke up in the AM I have used all 50gb in my sleep with no services in use or connected.
I called them this morning, checked my network only 3 devices connected (my pc ,gf phone and my phone) they told me it could be hackers.... I literally see who's connected changed my password anyways and my data usage is still climbing so they can hit me with another $10 charge. I guess this is how they get their money back for not using their modems.
So some how for the last 5-6 years I've never used over 900gb of data the 1 month I have had their Flex box it has went over the 1.2T and now onto a extra I guess 100gb.
So they are leaking my data through the Flex box I'm guessing by keeping a constant 4k signal being sent to it regardless of what you're watching or if it is idle.
Seeing 5gb being used up every hour with No devices connected is crazy and I'll just send this stupid box back and get a smart tv.
Ccalvert23
Frequent Visitor

I can confirm. We were averaging 600 GB per month then Oct 2020 we hit 1000 GB by the 20th. I measured usage across router and found the offender was actually the data usage through cable (watching Netflix, peacock, and on demand) through xfinity. I was able to see a huge difference watching Netflix through smart TV. Since you can't measure data usage across cable and the xfinity data meter is useless, its hard to say if the amount used is correct or not. In November, I was given a 2 year deal to use xfinity modem with unlimited data replacing my Surfboard modem and magically, our data usage hasn't exceeded 400GB in a month since. So there's that.
logically
Frequent Visitor

Then why are you on this feed since it is for xfinity users!

flatlander3
Regular Contributor

It really wouldn't surprise me if watching Xfinity cable on an xFi box uses more data than watching content on a 'smart tv' app over a wifi connection.  Just being hardwired in general on a 'smart tv' allows for a faster stream than with wifi, and since they are serving the content, there are very likely less "hops" between you and the streaming server location -- so more data can be shoved down the pipe faster than fishing it off a cloud server somewhere.

I don't use their cable lineup, so I have nothing to test with, and don't know if there is a setting to allow you to limit bandwidth used, or if it's just a full speed "pull what it can" device.  Perhaps there is a data rate limit setting on it you can try.  If there isn't, there was a beta app for RoKu, and perhaps others you could try on a smart TV and see if that was the issue.

Another problem could be if these xFi boxes have the same insecure horrid default settings as some of the gateways out there and they get hammered with sync-ack attacks and probes looking for a way to tip themover. 

Benziane22
New Poster

Re: Courtesy month conveniently vanishes.

The first time ow ent over, not being able to break down my data usage. I was able to get through the phone, they gave me a credit
pibu128
New Poster

I`m also looking for data usage per device in xfi but I do not find one. For the past 3 months I`m exceeding my montly usage and I want to track which device is consuming more and I do not have the data.

Xfinity, please address this issue asap. so many requests but still no update.

oh_my_goodness
Regular Visitor

Re: High internet date usage over 6 months

I am having the exact same problem. It has been increasing over the last few months, and now I am over their cap. Before pandemic, I averaged 400GB. After pandemic, it went to around 700GB, which I would expect from working from home. But it has been increaseing to just under my cap for the last couple of months, and now I went from 90% to 100% usage in just 48 hours, with something like 60GB per day. One of those days was a saturday while no one was home and all electronics were off. I would basically need to be watching two HD streams 24/7, including while I'm asleep. I have been monitoring the traffic through my router and it only comes up with about 1/10th of what comcast is stating. I would believe that my router's monitoring might be a bit off, but I can't imagine the difference being that extreme. I'm going to continue monitoring it myself and if this issue doesn't seem to go away then something with their equipment must be faulty. We just had a big storm that knocked out their service across the whole city for around 24 hours, so maybe that is the case.

ashmateja
New Poster

Data Overage seems fishy

Our data usage was averaging around 600 gigs up until December of last year, when it suddenly shot up to 1200. We're not using any additional devices, nothing's changed, but in January we went over 1.2 terabytes. Considering that xfinity says 1.2 terabytes is sufficient for about 95% of users, it seems strange that we'd be using so much data. We're not twitch streamers or anything, I'm a Salesforce admin who works from home, my partner works at the office.

Last month I changed our internet password thinking that maybe someone was using our internet unauthorized, but we're halfway through the month and already used over 900 gigs.

I'll upgrade to the higher package if that's what I need to do, but it just seems fishy so I wanted to check beforehand with those that may know better than I. Thanks in advance!

strega7
Regular Contributor

Re: Data Overage seems fishy

@ashmateja Scroll back through the thread for various ways of tracking your data.  There are a lot of variables depending on what you have and how "technical" you want to get.  I would guess that in the last year, more than 5% have been going over, but even using the 5% number, that’s more than 1.5 million customers. I have a pretty good idea where the data is going here and can tell without looking at the meter when a month is going to come in high or low.  Other people have gone for years without thinking about it, so it may all seem like a mysterious mess at first.

wasl
New Poster

Data Overage and Missing Data

We have been Xfinity customers for the last year and a half and just recently started receiving notifications that we are going over our data limit.  We are 16 days into February and just got a notification that we've almost hit the terabyte limit.  We have been working from home since March due to the pandemic and not changed our daily practices yet somehow these last two months have seen us doubling our data usage according the Xfinity.  The other weird thing is that Xfinity no longer has any data on our usage prior to November so I can't even look back at what our average usage was.  I can say that in November we used 453 gb of data.  In January we supposedly used 1950 gb of data with literally zero difference in our day to day.  How does that happen?  Is Xfinity broken?  Where is our past month usage information, Xfinity??

srathers
New Poster

Re: Internet usage

I'm in colorado springs and the data usage is reading high usage.. only my wife and me live here we don't internet alot never in 6 years .. I took all my items off line but the xfinity app showing that everything i took off line still drawing data until I reset the modem.
Aldenn
New Poster

Internet Usage

I really need help here guys.

Xfinity internet usage is showing me I have already consume 1200+ GB of internet but my router is showing me cleary only 580+ GB as you can see in this picture.

Internet usage 

I`m tired of paying every month extra $$$ for this and pretty sure I have not used that amount ,xfinity is doing something wrong annd they refuse to help me, what can I do ?

goodgut2k2k
Regular Visitor

Had this issue months ago - personally, I feel Comcast is creating this problem so they can move you (charge) to their "unlimited data" plan. Which I finally succumbed to. Had outrageous data useage for a few months for no apparent reason - of course, if you pay for their X1 modem, they promise to be able to teack (I was using my own approved purchased modem). I purchased google wifi mesh router network in my home ot be able to track useage. One thing I would check - if you are using a device from your cell company (I had a Tmobile "Cell Spot") - apparently those devices act as a virtual cell tower for your cell phoine company and you cant restrict who can acceess data cell network through it - in other words, your neighbores could be watching movies using their own cell (non -wifi) and it may be going through your Wifi without your (or your neighbors knowedge) and using your data. The cell companies give these out free ususally to avoid having to build out their network where customers are experincing challenges. You cannot restrict who uses the "Cell Spot" its essentially a mini cell tower for anyone within range but goes over your internet data connection. Onme thing to watch out for. Ironically, asd soon as I subsribed to unlimited data, I've never had another month where data useage was high like before - how convenient Comcast. 

river12
New Poster

Re: Sudden increase in data usage

Yes, for the last 2 months.  The first month, xfinity waived the fee. The following month was an extra $60.  I still can't figure out why.  I've downloaded the app to see what device is using how much and when but it's not telling me comparison usage so I'm not sure what's more than before.

goodgut2k2k
Regular Visitor

Re: Sudden increase in data usage

In my opinion Comcast is scamming the customers with incorrect data usage metering - that being said, good luck ever figuring it out. I just pay the extra now for unlimited 1 box and sleep at night . Not worth the headache - Comcast should be investigated Jmo but I can’t fight the system.
bebebets
New Poster

Data usage

Have spoken to 3 people at Xfinity so far to no avail. My monthly data usage has been around 300GB per month since March 2020. January 2021 - 1400GB, February 2021 - 850GB so far. What is causing this jump? No one can find an explanation. We have watched the same amount of TV movies, used our devices about the same. No one else has been accessing our data. Can't figure out what changed in January and February. Any suggestions?

mgomez20
New Poster

Sudden data overage charges

I have been an xfinity customer since 2018 and my parents were customers for many years before that. I had never been charged with “data overages” until recently. We have the same exact devices & use the same amount of internet but now we are charged for over using it? We are in the middle of a pandemic. I can not afford these fees. I’ve already switched to unlimited but why am I suddenly being over charged now? I’ve noticed that there are many other customers who agree that they are being charged overage fees only recently and never before. I understand that a lot of people are using there internet for school and work because of lock down but no one in my household works from home and we use our computers the same as before lockdown.
c2k2
Frequent Visitor

Comcast says we used up 300G in 6 hours from 12am-6am!

So, like many others in this thread, we've been averaging about 800G since pandemic started with two adults working from home and two kids required to be on zoom video class all day.

last night we get email notification at 12am saying we are at 75% usage.  Then at 3am, we get another message saying we are at 90%. Then another message at 6am that we are over 100%...  so how in the world does one use up over 300G overnight when everybody is asleep?  And now, as of noon were 100G already over the 1.2Tb cap.

how does one use up 400G in less than 12 hours!?

called Comcast and all they say is we used up one one courtesy over limit waiver, one day before the billing cycle ends.  and no explanation how one use up 300G in 6 hours and another 100G in 6 additional hours!  This is just ridiculous.  We don't have 4K (just plain ol 1080p).  Great way to treat a customer of over 15yrs.

AT&T just sent us mail we now can get fiber to the home.  We are definitely going to look into switching to them.

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Comcast says we used up 300G in 6 hours from 12am-6am!

@c2k2
The notifications aren’t real time, about a 24 hour delay

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
flatlander3
Regular Contributor

Welp.  That's roughly 29 Mbps if you pulled 300G in 6 hours.  Pretty much do able with 100Mbps service.  You can do it faster with better service.

I had an iPhone go insane while trying to download an update that failed from IOS 14.2 to 14.3.  That burned 90G speaking gibberish to Apple before I caught it, but my firewall emails me when excessive load is going on, and also daily status.  Software you install also likes to "phone home for updates", and that can hang too. 

Been there, done that with centrylink.  Wasn't a big fan of DSL speeds.  StarLink is $499 up front for hardware and $100/month.  Maybe that will come down at some point. 

c2k2
Frequent Visitor

How do you monitor and throttle/alarm if you have excess network activity?

if it's caused by something like handshake error, how do you stop it before it gets out of hand? Most of our stuff is Mac or iOS.  Is there a software we can load on the laptop and iOS that will warn you if you go over some reasonable limit?