Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Regular Visitor

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

It seems my data usage for October has been wiped clean. Before, it was at 168GB when I was really using about 5.9GBs. Now it is back to 0GB. I just hope they will refund me the courtesy month used up in September

Proof (Screenshot)

Frequent Visitor

@RSucher wrote:

It seems my data usage for October has been wiped clean. Before, it was at 168GB when I was really using about 5.9GBs. Now it is back to 0GB. I just hope they will refund me the courtesy month used up in September

Proof (Screenshot)

Same here.  I began tracking my data usage hourly in a spreadsheet this morning.  I got to 106 gigs around 2pm today and it stayed there until 5pm.  I just checked my usage again and it has been reset.

I am still showing an overage for September, which is not acceptable.  There was clearly an issue with how data was being calculated and I should not lose one of my grace months because their systems were messed up.

New Poster

Thank-you for the update, Jessie.  Its good to see Comcast at least temporarily taking some ownership of the issue.  I noticed, as several others have posted elsewhere, that they reset the October Usage numbers to 0.  Maybe I won't have to switch to a business account from a residential account after allSmiley Wink .

Frequent Visitor

Same here.

What's confusing is that I did get my courtesy month back (for a day).

Then they took it away again.

Contributor

@FlickNFreckles wrote:

Same here.

Zero here too.  What Xfinity giveth, I suppose comcast taketh away from the other guy who lost a free month.  Thank you O donor of the free bytes

There is some bot traffic picking up from what I see.  I got two nailing my firewall now.  103.31.12.91 is Japan utility -- some telco, and another one 13.124.235.225 is an Amazon cloud service, Korea based.  SYN Probes.  About 5 hits/sec each.  Probably hijacked virtual machines. 

Does it count as data cap traffic?  Probably. 

Regular Contributor

My math is a little fuzzy these days but I think 5 syn probes a second at about 60 bytes per packet would be less than 1 Gb/month of data.  So yeah, it probably counts, but they'd have to ramp it up to be a significant part of your TB.

Contributor

Yep.  It's the little things.  Then there's a whole lot of little things and bandwidth is flooded with the max pipe of the little things.

That's how the script kids roll. 

New Poster

Our October data was reset as well! Happy to see this resolved.

Regular Visitor

My October data was reset as well. Here is a history (tabulated) that shows how in September I supposedly  'used'  almost 3x what I normally use:

Monthly Data Usage (Screenshot)

New Poster

My October data was reset as well, after hitting >45 in less than two days (one of which the modem was unplugged).

They took back the courtesy month they refunded as well, though. Pretty disappointing, considering they are admitting their data tracking is flawed.

Hopefully we can get answers, and at least some kind of assurance that this won't happen again!

New Poster

I was at 100+GB on Oct 1st, and now on Oct 3rd I'm at 4GB 

New Poster

Same here yesterday, at 7:45am I was at 54GB, and courtsy months back to 2.

This morning at 7:30am at 2GB and back to 1 of 2 months left!!!

New Poster

Expecting a free month with all the headaches trying to fix this for a month now
New Poster

Wow- I have been seeing exactly the same thing and thought I was going crazy. We've always had 100-300GB/month usage, and then suddenly in mid-to-late September, Comcast's meter started showing around 70-100GB/day! On September 30, Comcast showed 1800GB use for the month while our Google Wifi router showed less than 200GB. Several calls to Comcast resulted in no advice other than run virus checks, change wifi password, switch to xFi, etc. No explanation as to why our own router was showing such drastically different numbers.

At the end of the day on Oct. 1, the October meter already showed 70GB for just one day. However, at some point on Oct. 3, that changed to 14GB, and it's been "normal" since then, knock on wood.

I'd appreciate hearing if anyone is able to get Comcast to remove their "used" courtesy month from their account as a result of this fiasco.

Frequent Visitor

I think this all started around the time that Comcast increased download speeds in my area.  I get that speed doesn't  affect how much data you use, but it seems like something got messed up with how they calculate our data consumption when they changed our speeds. 

I supposedly used 80 gigs in one day, after I had scaled back our usage because of going over the previous month. Since the data usage reset on Oct 2, my family has gone back to our normal viewing habits.  We're using about 20 gigs a day.

Out of curiosity, where does everyone experiencing this data usage spike live?  I'm in the metro Atlanta area.

Regular Visitor

I live in the greater Albuquerque area in New Mexico. 

New Poster

San Lorenzo Valley, Santa Cruz, CA 95006

Frequent Visitor

We are in West Palm Beach, FL.

I agree about it happening right after they sent the email saying that our download speed was going to increase.

Now I just got to call and try to get our courtesy month back again.
New Poster

We had high data September as well.. normally use less than 70GB but in September they say it was 1024 GB. Been on the phone with them well over 7 hrs getting the run around. Unbelievable..
Regular Contributor

So not everybody got their data reset?  I'm at almost 200GB used for October already.

New Poster

Internet usage

Since the last update Xfinity did my internet is draining, daily up to 50 GB we don’t to much it’s mostly phones and no movies or YouTube at all
What’s happening help please
Contributor

@jth182 wrote:

So not everybody got their data reset?  I'm at almost 200GB used for October already.

To tell you the honest truth, a counter reset isn't what I was looking for.  I was looking for an accurate billing cycle.

Is it real data?  Is it not? (I know the answer)  If they "reset" a counter, why?  What's the point of that?  There's zero communication here.

I'm watching the usual weberverse traffic banking off my firewall.  I've got portscans, shell exploits flying by, dns cache poisoning attempts, the usual general virus propagation traffic.  It all counts on your data cap.  Usually, it's not a large amount of data.

What ticks me off is paying $10/50GB when a botnet attack happens on my subnet, and I don't control the upstream hardware to shut it off or mitigate the traffic -- yet they'll bill you for it.

Expert

Re: Internet usage

@Ella206 wrote:
Since the last update Xfinity did my internet is draining, daily up to 50 GB we don’t to much it’s mostly phones and no movies or YouTube at all
What’s happening help please

If you have a rented Comcast gateway, you can check Xfinity xFi for device usage at https://internet.xfinity.com or use the xFI App from the Apple or Google app stores. If you have a personal router, check with the manufacturer if you have the ability to see usage stats. 

If you have an X1 cable box, remember that any show you watch that's marked "Internet" will use data. 

If you have certain devices like the Amazon Fire TV or XBox/Playstation game consoles, or certain online backup services such as Backblaze, OneDrive or Google Drive, note those are notorious data hogs. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

New customer.  Had no idea how much data I used until I signed up at the end of August.  September showed that I  averaged about 17 Gigs/day which seemed like it could be possible.  We are not cord cutters so we have a bunch of X1 boxes in my house.  I figured there was no way we would ever go over. 

Checked today and I am averaging 35 Gigs/day in October.  Basically double, nothing has changed month over month.  I recognize all the devices on my network.  I was told that yesterday/Saturday I used 120 Gigs of data of the 177 Gigs registered for the month.    What happened Saturday?:

I worked until 4 pm then streamed the UNC vs GA Tech football game via Sling since Comcast doesn't have ACC Network then went out dinner and streamed 1 Showtime show and maybe a little Youtube.

Wife was home but she doesn't stream

Son was out all day and spent the night out

Daughter worked a double.  Maybe streamed later but probably not much

I was told by Comcast that the game took 51 gigs/hour if it was in HD.  Not totally sure if Sling is true HD.  Picture was good but I find it hard to believe it could possibly use up to 150 Gigs for 1 game streaming.  

New Poster

I disabled the hotspot in my Xfinity account. I’ve had Xfinity out to my house twice in the last week. They have no explanation as to what is causing the high data usage but he replace the modem and he hard wired a new little square wireless box. Last night while We were sleeping my husbands phone was using an extremely large amount of data despite the hotspot being off and no apps running. As soon as he left for work, the high data usage started coming from the modem instead. The technician checked the outside connections and could not find any reason as to why I was having this problem so he gave me some new equipment. Hopefully all of these changes will help. We also have a new user name and password of coarse with the new modem
New Poster

They did not charge me for my technician. And they have been out twice this week
Frequent Visitor

@cbell2112 wrote:

New customer.  Had no idea how much data I used until I signed up at the end of August.  September showed that I  averaged about 17 Gigs/day which seemed like it could be possible.  We are not cord cutters so we have a bunch of X1 boxes in my house.  I figured there was no way we would ever go over. 

Checked today and I am averaging 35 Gigs/day in October.  Basically double, nothing has changed month over month.  I recognize all the devices on my network.  I was told that yesterday/Saturday I used 120 Gigs of data of the 177 Gigs registered for the month.    What happened Saturday?:

I worked until 4 pm then streamed the UNC vs GA Tech football game via Sling since Comcast doesn't have ACC Network then went out dinner and streamed 1 Showtime show and maybe a little Youtube.

Wife was home but she doesn't stream

Son was out all day and spent the night out

Daughter worked a double.  Maybe streamed later but probably not much

I was told by Comcast that the game took 51 gigs/hour if it was in HD.  Not totally sure if Sling is true HD.  Picture was good but I find it hard to believe it could possibly use up to 150 Gigs for 1 game streaming.  

There is no way a video game used 51 gigs an hour.  4k movies don't use that much data.

Frequent Visitor

I meant a football game that I had to stream via Sling. Still from the ads that you see, you can stream 21 hours a day and not hit the cap.  I have been watching my usage for any random spikes.   Yesterday we used 21 gigs which seems more in line since my 2 kids stream a lot since there is no tv in their rooms.   I just don't understand the 120 gigs in 1 day.   

I can see what each device does on my network except I can't see the Xfinity X1 boxes so if I stream youtube or SHO through the Xfinity box, it doesn't show me how much usage is coming from that box.  Or am I missing something. 

Regular Contributor

My X1 boxes are listed among the other devices here:

https://internet.xfinity.com/devices

You may not get that if you don't use a rented router or don't have xFi in your area.

Frequent Visitor

@cbell2112 wrote:

I meant a football game that I had to stream via Sling. Still from the ads that you see, you can stream 21 hours a day and not hit the cap.  I have been watching my usage for any random spikes.   Yesterday we used 21 gigs which seems more in line since my 2 kids stream a lot since there is no tv in their rooms.   I just don't understand the 120 gigs in 1 day.   

I can see what each device does on my network except I can't see the Xfinity X1 boxes so if I stream youtube or SHO through the Xfinity box, it doesn't show me how much usage is coming from that box.  Or am I missing something. 

Live TV only streams in HD, which is about 1.7 gigs per hour.  A 4k video stream uses between 5 to 8 gigs of data per hour.  Unless you had 9 tv's watching a 4k movie, there's no way you used 51 gigs in an hour.

Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

My X1 boxes are listed among the other devices here:

https://internet.xfinity.com/devices

You may not get that if you don't use a rented router or don't have xFi in your area.

Right, but it doesn't show how much data those boxes are using.  I typically stream some youtube and Showtime on my X1 boxes.   When I look at my xFi devices, the X1 boxes are not listed so I can't account for the streaming from the X1 boxes unless they don't count(which I doubt).  My Roku tv is listed as well as all of my other devices.  

Contributor

Sounds like a good reason not to use X1 boxes and just stream everything.  Run everything through a separate firewall including wifi (don't use wifi on the cable router).

Then you'll know what every device uses, when it used it, and the aggregate.  You can also set bandwidth limits by device if you're worried about it.  Sling doesn't load so much (3-4Mbps) but other apps will pull what they can for streaming in the 6-8Mbps range..  Phones will too -- 25+Mbps if they can.

Frequent Visitor

Many of my tv's are not smart tv's and wifi firestick is pretty clunky and doesn't always get the best signal.  X1 boxes are much easier to use less my 1 Roku tv as they are not dependent on a wifi connection.  

Regular Contributor

@cbell2112 wrote:

Right, but it doesn't show how much data those boxes are using.  I typically stream some youtube and Showtime on my X1 boxes.   When I look at my xFi devices, the X1 boxes are not listed so I can't account for the streaming from the X1 boxes unless they don't count(which I doubt).  My Roku tv is listed as well as all of my other devices.  

If you click on a device it should show the usage.  Not actual numbers, just a low/high graph and percentage of total, but you should be able to tell what uses the most and when.   The X1 boxes count if you  are streaming with the internet apps, but would not count normal channels or dvr usage.

In case you missed all the other comments here, a lot of people are having errors in their usage, so be sure you have called customer support and complained about it.  Maybe they will figure out what everyone has in common and fix it.

Contributor

@flatlander3 wrote:

@FlickNFreckles wrote:

Same here.

Zero here too.  What Xfinity giveth, I suppose comcast taketh away from the other guy who lost a free month.  Thank you O donor of the free bytes

There is some bot traffic picking up from what I see.  I got two nailing my firewall now.  103.31.12.91 is Japan utility -- some telco, and another one 13.124.235.225 is an Amazon cloud service, Korea based.  SYN Probes.  About 5 hits/sec each.  Probably hijacked virtual machines. 

Does it count as data cap traffic?  Probably. 

You know, with all the posts about data usage here and in the billing forum, followed by referrals to Comcast Security - I'm starting to wonder if a group or advanced persistent threat org of some sort gained access and/or control over part of the Comcast infrastructure.  Perhaps the data meter discrepancy is a mass data exfiltration of customer traffic.... 

Expert

@Synical wrote:

You know, with all the posts about data usage here and in the billing forum, followed by referrals to Comcast Security - I'm starting to wonder if a group or advanced persistent threat org of some sort gained access and/or control over part of the Comcast infrastructure.  Perhaps the data meter discrepancy is a mass data exfiltration of customer traffic.... 

If that were true, we'd see widespread, across the board spikes in internet traffic, yet that's not that case.

I, for one, never saw the unusual data usage spikes in September or October. (I have xFI Advantage with unlimited data now so that's no longer a concern)

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

@cbell2112 wrote:

If you click on a device it should show the usage.  Not actual numbers, just a low/high graph and percentage of total, but you should be able to tell what uses the most and when.   The X1 boxes count if you  are streaming with the internet apps, but would not count normal channels or dvr usage.

I can see those graphs under the xFi section but the X1 boxes do not appear under that section at all.   I can see the X1 boxes under the Devices section of my account on the customer.xfinity.com website.   All I can do is troubleshoot.

How much of a delay is there in posting the data usage to the website.  I looked at my usage at 11:43 Pm before going to bed then again at 10:25 AM  this morning.  Literally nothing was done except standard HTML traffic during that time but my meter has changed from 216 gigs to 228 gigs.  

Expert

@cbell2112 wrote:

I can see those graphs under the xFi section but the X1 boxes do not appear under that section at all.   I can see the X1 boxes under the Devices section of my account on the customer.xfinity.com website.   All I can do is troubleshoot.

That's because xFi only sees the devices connected to your Xfinity Gateway. The X1 cable boxes use a different internet portal and don't appear under xFi, but any internet use they have will still count against the cap. 

@cbell2112 wrote:

How much of a delay is there in posting the data usage to the website.  I looked at my usage at 11:43 Pm before going to bed then again at 10:25 AM  this morning.  Literally nothing was done except standard HTML traffic during that time but my meter has changed from 216 gigs to 228 gigs.  

There's a 24 hour delay, typically. 

Regular Contributor

@darkangelic wrote:

That's because xFi only sees the devices connected to your Xfinity Gateway. The X1 cable boxes use a different internet portal and don't appear under xFi, but any internet use they have will still count against the cap. 

Mine show in the list with the others and show a usage graph.  Maybe it depends on which device is acting as the MoCA hub.  It is enabled in my router and the devices show up there too,

Frequent Visitor

@darkangelic wrote:

@cbell2112 wrote:

@cbell2112 wrote:

There's a 24 hour delay, typically. 

To be clear then, it is normal not to see the data usage from X1 boxes when using streaming apps within the X1 system.

And there is a 24 hour delay for usage to post to your account BUT you can look at the graphs for the devices that are connected to your network and it will show you when you used data in last 24 hours.   Honestly, that doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Official Employee

Apologies all for the issue and the experience that many have described above. Thanks for posting many details here, that was very helpful in having our teams research this issue.

While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly.

We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right.

Impacted customers have been identified.  We are working to identify customers that may have purchased xFi or unlimited data as a direct result of this error.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thank you! I'm glad we finally have an actual answer instead of the random nonsense that flatlander guy has been spewing about botnets causing this problem.

Frequent Visitor

Glad there is an answer to what's been going on.

I still haven't got my courtesy month refunded though?
Frequent Visitor

September usage was much much higher than normal,  1 Movie streamed on Amazon Prime video thru X1 box that i know of

and October so far this month about 140gbs--on 9th day,  a little Youtube streaming,  a few PC not too huge updates,  and such

No sign of Credit though here if entilted to it, not sure as i cut out streaming and so did my son towards end of September to prevent going over, or using a Courtesy month, as wanna save those for future PC clean installs or large PC update month in the future

Contributor

@RSucher wrote:

Thank you! I'm glad we finally have an actual answer instead of the random nonsense that flatlander guy has been spewing about botnets causing this problem.

Is your actual internet usage reported on Xfinity correct, or you just don't have any means of keeping track? 

Seems they are quite happy billing you when it isn't, and they have zero track record for accuracy.  I'm glad they "fixed" their billing issue.  I'll continue to monitor that it is "fixed".

New Poster

I'm an i

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Apologies all for the issue and the experience that many have described above. Thanks for posting many details here, that was very helpful in having our teams research this issue.

While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly.

We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right.

Impacted customers have been identified.  We are working to identify customers that may have purchased xFi or unlimited data as a direct result of this error.  

I'm an impacted customer, how do I confirm credit is applied to my account?

Expert

@johnn2 wrote:

I'm an impacted customer, how do I confirm credit is applied to my account?

Check your bill at your account Billing page (requires XFINITY account login)  or the Xfinity My Account App. 

Frequent Visitor

Something is still not right with this counter:

4:52 Pm showed that I had used 246 GBs of data.   Since then we have watched a 1 hour Showtime show through the X1 box, kid has played Madden online for around 3 hours, and I played 1-1.5 hours of World of Tanks.  It is 9:53 and our meter now reads 273 GBs.   That's 27 GBs in 5 hours and we were gone for over an hour when we went out to eat.   According to the website.  

• Stream between 600 and 700 hours of HD video
  • Play online games for more than 12,000 hours

Does this seem right to anyone?

New Poster

Your data usage numbers for my account are still incorrect.

My network has it's own data usage meter and I've only used 354Gb of data in the past 30 days.  Your meter says I've used 426Gb in the past 10 days.  The numbers are not just off a little bit...they are outrageous.  I became suspicious because you claim I've gone over 1Tb of data both of the last 2 months and my network shows that I've NEVER gone over 500Gb in any 30 day period.  

New Poster

Re: Your data usage numbers for my account are still incorrect.

Maybe this https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-fo... has something to do with it?  

Anyway, I'd just like to say I'm very happy with the service I've gotten over the past year or two.  The bandwidth is superior to any other ISP in the area and I always (up to now) get what I pay for.  Hopefully, this is just a glitch and Comcast will get it fixed quickly and reset my 2 grace months.