Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Highlighted
New Poster

Sudden unexplained major spike (~500gb) in monthly data usage

Hello,

We recently received a "90% usage warning" text for the first time with our internet (1.2 terabyte data cap), and have absolutely no clue how our network could be using so much data!

After checking the data usage trends on the account page, our data usage spiked from 450gb per month in June (normal - I am working from home, my mother has stayed home and is streaming a lot of video) to 900gb in July, with absolutely no major changes taking place that month. The only new additions to the network have been a new smart TV in August, and a small personal server in September, both added to the network over a month after this initial spike. Our data usage has been steadily climbing by around 50gbs/mo since the big spike in July & we were blissfully unaware until just now, as we've never received any alerts for any other thresholds of this cap before (We've never even gone over 50% until July).

Short of one of our neighbors breaking into the cable box in our backyard and pirating our internet (wouldn't be shocking, they're not the best people), we have no clue what could have caused this. We have one router (a Netgear Nighthawk) that manages all of our internet traffic, both hardwired and wireless, connected directly to our modem (ISP provided, model# SMC D3GNV). There are no unrecognized devices connected to our network, and no obvious culprits for what could be using up so much data that it's completely doubled our highest average month on record. We have no open guest Wi-Fi network and our 2.4 & 5ghz bands do not use the default names or passwords. I highly doubt this is coming from our network.

I've enabled traffic monitoring on the router now so we can keep an eye out going forward to potentially prove we aren't using this much data, but that doesn't do much to help solve what's already happened, and we're only 10% away from going over the limit only halfway through the month now! We haven't done any major downloading of any files, I've scanned all our computers for viruses, none of our streaming services are in 4K; there's just nothing obvious that could cause such a huge & dramatic uptick! It's mind-boggling and extremely frustrating, especially since I'm working from home and cannot just avoid using the internet for the rest of the month to avoid any penalties for going over this cap, which has never before even been close to an issue for us.

If anyone has any advice for how to approach this, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Sudden unexplained major spike (~500gb) in monthly data usage

I ran into the same problem. I've posted my research and opinions on this thread earlier in October.
My suspicion is when using the Xfinity TV services to watch things marked Internet, such as Peacock or using other services like Netflix through the Xfinity service, the data is being charged as a really high level. You will not see this data usage through your router or any software like Glasswire. The usage is hidden from the customer. I did test Netflix through Xifnity for 1 hour and then Netflix through the wifi on my Smart TV and found Xfinity showed 5 GB for an hour versus 1.5 GB through wifi. We too had our usage double from 600 GB to 1300 GB with no changes in our habits. We stopped watching Peacock or watching things marked internet on Xfinity TV service and we were at 210 GB for first half of November supporting my suspicion. Xfinity changed something and hides the data usage through the cable so how do you know for certain. By the way, I even unplugged the modem while talking to their tech support and watched data climb 4GB per hour. That's when I found my wife was watching Peacock. We now watch Netflix through the wifi of the Smart TV.
Highlighted
Contributor

@juliebyrne 

I've been looking at this for over a year along with @Ccalvert23 and others.  There are several possible things going on to explain "I can't possibly use 1.2T of data".  Actually, it's much easier than you think it is.  1.2T in a month is 3.65Mbps running 24/7.  Stream in 4K?  You can run 12Mbps easily on one TV.  Turning off the TV might not cut a device connection so you are still streaming.  Outlet strip with a switch on it?  That always works.  No power is off.  An old Amazon firestick will keep streaming radio after you hit the home button for instance.  Sure, not much traffic but it's there. Sometimes a video won't actually stop until you select another app on one of mine.  Some apps time out sooner or later, others, not so much.  Roku behaves better -- at least the TV's and little express boxes I have.  Other things to check:

1. Your gateway security settings.  By default, lots of them including Xfinity gear have extremely  poor and frightening default settings.  If there's a firewall setting, set it to the highest level.  Disable P2P.  Disable UPnP.  Disable Remote access.  Disable ICMP 'pings'.  Disable any other feature it has (Netgear ReadyShare for example).  If it's got a portscan block setting, use it.  Change the default password -- that's what script kids are looking for.   Disable any kind of remote desktop application on your Gateway -- a cable gateway is not a VPN appliance and shouldn't try to be, there are other ways to do that.  1st rule of firewalls is to disable all traffic, then allow only what you need, and know WHY you switched it on.  Got a Nest device/camera?  Welp.....maybe cut down the bitrate or frame/s if you really need one and it's eating your bandwidth.  Other ways to do that too without 24/7 UPnP links to a China/Cloud server punching holes in your firewall.

2. ComcastTeds actually has a few good points with the default cut and paste answers.  Misbehaving devices on your network, stuck backups blasting traffic in a loop, windows failed update retries/windows P2P 'update sharing'....etc.....it all adds up.  Don't "share" updates (in settings).  Gamers might be surprised at how much data a new game wants you to pull down.  100's of Gb.

3. Hijacked Gateways/old gear with known exploits.  Gear with exploits that are now 'end of life'.  Try to update the firmware on your Gateway if it's 3rd party.  If it says "updates are managed from your cable provider", you can force an update.  1st just power cycle.  If that doesn't do it, try the 'reboot modem' on the Xfinity site -- if it's 3rd party, call them and have them reset the link from their end.  It should do a reprovision, and update then.  You can also remove, then re-add the device if you have alternate internet (phone.....hotspot etc).  They all have exploits.  us-cert.cisa.gov publishes the known ones.

4. Streaming devices:  In settings, cut the stream to 720p.  Should look "good enough".  Try it.  You might have to do it on a Per App basis.  Netflix/Amazon/Sling/Hulu....etc, all have settings.

5. Xfinity -- running a separate box independent of your Gateway looks like a major problem as @Ccalvert23 says.  If it's got the same frightening default settings as the Xfinity gateways, or no security at all, I'd pitch it in the trash.  There's a beta app for Roku, and perhaps other streaming devices if you can't live without it.  In any case, I wouldn't allow any traffic that doesn't pass through your Gateway so at least you have a counter of sorts -- even if it isn't all that accurate (my Netgear one isn't -- my separate firewall appliance is, and does match their numbers pretty well).

6. Unsolicited network traffic?  Yeah, it's there.  Dozen hits on my firewall in the last 24 hours.  Sometimes much more if it's a distributed attack (hundreds).  If you've got a decent firewall, it doesn't matter.  That's only a Kb of data since it was blocked, they found nothing interesting and moved on from my house to your house.  The script kids are either walking a subnet looking for gear to exploit, or when you visit a web site with milicious cross scripted ads (exist on totally legit sites too), they glean your IP address and now you're a target.  Ad blockers/script blockers help, but not entirely.  Not a big deal if you use #1.  Bonus round is running everything through a different firewall including wifi so you can monitor All traffic from every device used on your internal network.

Bad traffic.  Mailformed packets.  DNS hijack attempts.  Virus spam propagation.  Botnets.  Otherwise hostile traffic That's just the internet.

Highlighted
New Poster

Excessive Data Usage

For the 2nd month in a row I have come very close to exceeding my data limit.  Prior to this I have never even come close to using all of my data.  Nothing has changed in my household.  It is just me and I rarely ever watch TV or stream anything.  I can't understand what is going on and of course Xfinity is no help.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Now that I look back, the same thing was happening to customers (including me) in September & October of last year.  I never got any answer to my queries to Comcast/Xfinity but suddenly data usage went back to normal.  Does this strike anyone else as strange?  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Excessive Data Usage

@Molly1232, if it's just you, and you don't stream, it should be fairly easy to track.  Many devices have built-in monitoring of their own that can help, and if that fails, you can just turn a device off for a few days.  Note that because the Xfinity meter says it may not include data used in the last 24 hours, the proper procedure is: Shut device(s) down for at least 24 hours, now check the Xfinity meter and note this number as your starting number.  Now continue leaving these devices shut down for more than 24 hours and look again.  (A lot of people fall into the trap of: I turned everything off overnight or for a day and data still went up!  But because of the 24 hour limitation, this is actually common.)

It's difficult to give any more specific suggestions without knowing what you have or what you do.  Based on your description of yourself, I would think you would have no problem staying under 5-10% of the data cap, so apparently, you're doing something that I'm not guessing.  Of course, it may just turn out to be a program with a bug so you might not initially guess it either.

Last year there was a bug on Comcast's side and there were thousands of people complaining about it here and on other forums.  Now, I'm not saying they couldn't have a bug on their side again, but if you're not one of thousands seeing a sudden change, I would lean towards something on your end. (At least I think it's safer to assume that and start looking for a leak before they start charging.)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

TL;DR

Any advice on what else to do on my end, or who to contact at comcast that can actually help troubleshoot my current excessive data usage for the 2nd month in a row?

Longer story

I have 1TB monthly plan which has been extended to 1.2 TB this summer. I have not added any devices to my set up (in fact, Ive removed several as we got an ATT hotspot for my wifes Macs - and yes, she removed our home's wifi from her settings), and we have not changed our viewing habits. We were averaging 650-700 Gigs all the way through September. In October I installed a new PS4 game which included some updates so I attributed that months "overage" to that (even though I regularly install or d/l PS4 games), and my total usage for october was 1229 Gigs (this was my one courtesy month for the 9 gigs over lol).

When I noticed my data was at 600Gigs for the first WEEK of November, I shut down the PS4 and started looking for other leaks, and the numbers keep crawling up 50-60 gigs a day. I have tried turning off my main PC for a week, both our cell phones are on LTE, we have local cameras that use the LAN but don't connect to the internet and actually have access disabled (no changes have been made to any of the camera settings), the dedicated security cam PC has done a few regular windows updates but that's "normal" and it is not used to browse/connect to the internet. We have one smart FireTV that is used for either HULU or Netflix and we haven't changed our viewing habits or added any new channels/apps.

So..I'm really out of ideas on what to try next to track this issue down. The only thing connected to the internet currently is the FireTv, a windows laptop that I turn on a few times a week for browsing/not streaming any video, the security cam PC that is only online to get windows updates - we don't even browse on this one, and the PS4 I turned on today to verify settings - it has been off since November 8th. Any other trouble shooting suggestions? Is it possible its an issue on comcasts end??

FYI: We are using our own Netgear router with UPNP disabled, Remote Access disabled, ReadyShare disabled, default PW changed, Respond to pings disabled, and with no changes made except for a firmware update that Comcast pushed  like 2 weeks ago - which is after the daily data usage started increasing.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Need help with excessive data usage the last two months

I posted this in the pinned "excessive data usage" thread but just noticed its marked as solved/answered. I might be having a similar-but-different issue and thought I'd try making a seperate post to get more visibility. Let me know if there's a better way to get help/advice. Below is my original post:

TL;DR

Any advice on what else to do on my end, or who to contact at comcast that can actually help troubleshoot my current excessive data usage for the 2nd month in a row?

Longer story

I have 1TB monthly plan which has been extended to 1.2 TB this summer. I have not added any devices to my set up (in fact, Ive removed several as we got an ATT hotspot for my wifes Macs - and yes, she removed our home's wifi from her settings), and we have not changed our viewing habits. We were averaging 650-700 Gigs all the way through September. In October I installed a new PS4 game which included some updates so I attributed that months "overage" to that (even though I regularly install or d/l PS4 games), and my total usage for october was 1229 Gigs (this was my one courtesy month for the 9 gigs over lol).

When I noticed my data was at 600Gigs for the first WEEK of November, I shut down the PS4 and started looking for other leaks, and the numbers keep crawling up 50-60 gigs a day. I have tried turning off my main PC for a week, both our cell phones are on LTE, we have local cameras that use the LAN but don't connect to the internet and actually have access disabled (no changes have been made to any of the camera settings), the dedicated security cam PC has done a few regular windows updates but that's "normal" and it is not used to browse/connect to the internet. We have one smart FireTV that is used for either HULU or Netflix and we haven't changed our viewing habits or added any new channels/apps.

So..I'm really out of ideas on what to try next to track this issue down. The only thing connected to the internet currently is the FireTv, a windows laptop that I turn on a few times a week for browsing/not streaming any video, the security cam PC that is only online to get windows updates - we don't even browse on this one, and the PS4 I turned on today to verify settings - it has been off since November 8th. Any other trouble shooting suggestions? Is it possible it's an issue on comcasts end??

FYI: We are using our own Netgear router with UPNP disabled, Remote Access disabled, ReadyShare disabled, default PW changed, Respond to pings disabled, and with no changes made except for a firmware update that Comcast pushed  like 2 weeks ago - which is after the daily data usage started increasing. I have access control enabled and no unrecognized devices are connected. Also - I don't have any way to monitor traffic by device on this router. I have logs/events but there isn't anything there that doesn't look "normal", at least with my basic networking skills lol.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

So you do not have Xfinity TV service (cable)?

If you do, I would look at any and all streaming you or someone else might might be doing. We were actully using Netflix through our Xfinity service instead of through the Smart TV wifi and the data usgae was 3x higher than when we viewed through wifi. We also found Peacock through Xfinity was eating up 5+ GB per hour. No real way to measure any streaming (Internet based) as the data usage does not travle through your modem.

I used a couple of tools to measure data usage through our Modem (Owned Motorola SB6190) via Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000.

Tool #1 Glasswire. Free tool downloaded to connected Windows PC. This tools does a decent job of showing all connected devices and provides visual data tools displaying data usage at variable intervals (5 minutes, hours, day...). I found that some or all Smart TV data usage did not show up on this tool. 

Too #2 Router Tools: My Netgear router has a Traffic Meter and is accurate. I was able to watch data usage in real-time with the exception of our Xfinity TV's data usage when streaming (i.e. Peacock... anything marked as Internet). 

Our data was always under 600 GB until October where we blew the 1229 GB by the last week of the month. I started using the above mentioned tools on November 1. We stopped all Xfinity internet-based streaming and the result was that we only used 250GB by Nov 15.

I did notice some phone updates pulled 2-3 GB as well as Windows updates were larger than I knew. 

If you only use Xfinity Internet, I would recommend you update all hardware and change all router passwords. I am betting you've already done this but if not, I would just to be sure you don't have neighbors contributing to your problem. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We do not have cable - we have internet only and use this to stream HULU and Netflix on our FireTv (not the stick). At this point I only have this laptop Im using to research this issue, the security camera PC and the smart TV connected to the internet. I can try to see if the software you recommended is helpful, but unfortunately my router does not have any type of traffic meter. It only has "logs" and "events" unfortunately.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I will tell you I also have Hulu live TV which we use for our beach home. When measuring usage, I tested Hulu live TV viewing over my laptop at home and saw it was using 3-4 GB per hour. Initially I thought that was the culprit because I used this alot working in my office, like 6 to 8 hours per day. For PC and phone, you can use the Data Saver (under setting gear icon) and that reduced it to 1-2 GB per hour with no visible difference. I could not find a way to do this on a TV though. Netflix also has a data saver like setting but you have to set it via a browser.
Also be sure you are logging out of these services when done. I've heard they can hang on to a connection while TV is off eating small amounts of data but it adds up.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

thanks for the suggestions. Im just trying to figure out what the culprit could be since our tech/devices/viewing habits have not changed. I may have to suffer through a tech support call to see if they can provide anymore details (like time of day) on whats changed in the past two months, since my router doesn't have a traffic monitor. Im looking into Glasswire now to see what details on I can gleam using my laptop.

Also  as an FYI - I have access control enabled and dedicated IP addresses for all devices. There are no unrecognized devices or "blocked" devices listed (unauthorized devices, intruders or wifi leeches would show up here).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Forgot to ask - What netgear router are you using if you dont mind? Mine is a netgear modem/router combo and I'd be interesting in switching to something that includes data/traffic monitoring since it would help troubleshoot issues like this. Thanks for your help 🙂

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Modem is Motorola SB6190 and router is Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000. Both are 4 years old so probably newer models these days.
Highlighted
New Poster

For those writing that this is easy to do (exceed 1.2TB), particularly when normal usage is less than 1/2 of that figure, I would wholeheartedly disagree.  By the very fact that there seem to be a number of folks experiencing the very same issue, during the exact same time period, would suggest something more universally changed - either, something like a number of folks like myself who've recently migrated to Apple's Big Sur, or on Comcast/Xfinity's end, itself.

We've now been working/schooling from home for several months now and, suddently, my data usage exploded, on track toward 2.5x or more of regular monthly usage.  With no equipment changes whatsover, I'm sorry, that's just not possible....unless data is leaking, as I told the Comcast rep!  BTW, the number for this specific issue is 877.807.6581 - their data assurance security group or something like that.  

Moreover, I just checked my eero data consumption and it's 1/3 of what xfinity is saying.  While I have one machine that is occassionaly going direct to the Comcast modem, it's not possible that machine alone is responsible for 800gb, know what I do on it (and, don't) and turning it off every night.

If Big Sur, btw, was running something in the background, however, that would be indicated in my eero data stats, too.  So, again, I'm back to it being on the Comcast end.  To that end, I'm quite frustrated as I've called them twice, you have to be sent to level 2 support which apparently you can't seem to get into a queue for but rather have them call you back.  They told me they tried to reach the last time a couple of times which I told the rep was complete nonsense as I had nothing at all on my call indicator (no record of missed calls, let alone a voicemail).  I'm waiting another time for a call back by this afternoon (anyone want to start a pool?).  I've asked them to provide a complete, detailed log of where my data is coming/going from so that I can diagnose the problem, which rather interestingly, you can't seem to do using the online tools.  Hmmmmm

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Please update us if you get any answers on this. I'm going to try contacting comcast tomorrow via the number you provided but am not very optimistic giving their support history. It's very frustrating when nothing has changed on my end but my usage has doubled. I have removed all devices from the network except one smart TV (for HULU/Netflix) thats connected to internet, and one laptop that has access but only for windows updates - and I paused those for 30 days yesterday. The comcast usage is still showing 40+ gigs last night which is close to double what I had been using prior to october. I have less than 280 gigs left in my 1.2 TB left this month and will likely go over at current daily rates. I just can't believe comcast doesn't have a better data usage tracker other than a monthly total bar chart. Thats not very useful when users are trying to troubleshoot data usage/leaks 😞

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Be careful with measurements like 40 gigs "last night".  The Comcast meter says it may not include data used in the last 24 hours, so if you turn a device off overnight, you don't know how much (if any) of that actually happened during the night.  Some or all could have been in the preceding 24 hours and data used last night may or may not have shown up on the meter yet. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes you are right. I should have said in the past 24 hours. I turned the last few devices off over 24 hours ago but will have to check tomorrows bar chart to see if that affected anything. It's really unfortunate that we can't see the breakdown of daily usage. Even if it was delayed 24 hours that would go a long way to help track down issues.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

While I do not put anything past Comcast my data has stated consistent since switching to new xfinity plan in May as that's as far back as the chart goes. We started out hitting serious numbers as it was new 1.7 tb 1.5 tb then dropped to 1.0tb then held in the 0.75 tb range since then to date.<br><br>I do think people are using more since covid and may not realize how much their kids or spouse uses. Then again their could be something wierd with the algorithm. I think its a bit of both. Kind of hard for a person living by himself that unplugs their modem to still be using data a few days later.<br><br>They best way to compare data is billing period if your logging it. By law they have to properly bill for a billing period unless there is something specific that allows averaging like you can do with utilities. That will allow you to match to there as they will have the days to catch up.<br><br>Also I think if they try to do this $10 per 50 GB up charge for over cap usage and they take that up to $100 they will find themselves in court and will likely change policy to what Verizon and At&amp;t cellular now do. They tried pulling that. Now they can tech charge you up to the next data tier until they hit the unlimited plan cost. In other words they can charge you more thru overage charges than they would normally charge for that amount in a plan.<br><br>So if your current monthly charge before taxes etc was $75. Then you went say 400 GB over 1.2 tb cap they could not charge you $80 in overage charges when they are selling unlimited for$15 or $30 whatever is. They could charge you up to that in those $10 steps. Because otherwise it becomes a penalty vs a charge for use. You are late on your payment you can charge a penalty as that is a cost not part of a offered service. But they offer unlimited thus they can not charge someone more than that only up to it otherwise its a penalty but you have not created a not offered service so they are penalizing for a normal service and that is descrimination. I am sure there is a nice legal/ tech term but I forget what it was in the Verizon case.<br><br>But honestly people bad press and attention from elected officials is a way to get them to stop this profiteering practice during this pandemic. No one is going to see this any other way that they ate feeding off of a helpless public. Imagine the news article. Single Mom 3 jobs 4 kids. She's list 2 jibs from covid. Kids do all their school via streaming. Now mom HSS to choose between food electric bill or paying the $100 in overage charges so her kids can still do remote schooling.<br><br>Everyone should personally call write an email and a paper letter and send all of them to their state attorney general, governor, fed congressmen and Senators. Speak how in this time they are profiting off of your suffering. Heckbsend it to your state houses as well. You do that for 15 20 states and you will get serious attention and Comcast will in a very bad way. That will lead to some editorials and broadcasting. I promise you Comcast does not want that kind of attention and it will not matter if they have Biden in their picket with a few other fed elected seats. They will not be able to hush that up. No one is OK watching a person getting kicked while they are down especially by a big cocky bully. It also will not be dealing with just one investigation or prying eyes but each state plus fed. That's my suggestion if you feel this is indeed what Comcast is doing.
Highlighted
Contributor

I'm seeing intermittent spikes in usage and put a bandwidth monitor on my router. I'm using OpenWRT on a ZyXEL and installed the nlbwmon and luci-app-nlbwmon packages and narrowed down the source to a Win10 box connected to a corporate VPN. I think it's trying to read all the files on a remote share but I can't figure out what's causing it, whether it's a Windows bug or a bug in an app. I opened Resource Monitor and on the network tab it shows a lot of traffic for PID 4 on port 445, which means network share access. Alas, this is happening at the kernel level, and doesn't show me which application is responsible for it.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1811032-high-network-utilization-system-process-pid-4

A secondary source of high usage is animated web ads in Chrome. I'm going to install uBlock Origin, which I use on other machines to drastically reduce ad traffic. Web sites nag me to whitelist them in my ad blocker. I'm not letting them use all my bandwidth if I leave their site open overnight.

Highlighted
Contributor

Does anyone know a way to audit Windows file sharing from the client side? I found articles on how to do it from a server for the files and folders being accessed, but I'm trying to figure out which misbehaving app on the client is using up the network and I don't know which of several remote servers is involved.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I consider uBlock or Noscript a must – even if just for my own sanity.  I've been running noscript in Firefox for over a decade but sometimes I visit with someone and browse the web on their system that lets every script fly and it just amazes me how annoying and inefficient so many webpages are. Ie: you want a three-word answer to some simple question and you get sites that want to blast floating video thingies at you, and beg you to subscribe for updates to the three-word answer.

Highlighted
New Poster

We gleefully pay the 30 bucks for no cap because it was $50 before and we haven't used less than 1.2TB in a month in the last 8 years. They used to call to complain back before the cap and I laughed at them.  If you know you're using TB's a month $299 for fiber 2gbps symmetrical unmetered or $143-166 for 940mbps/40mbps with no cap depending on your region isn't too crazy.

Highlighted
Contributor

There's a very informative article recently published in Ars Technica that discusses the history of Comcast's Data Cap plan, including the recent announcement that beginning in early 2021 all 39 Comcast regions will have capped data.  Recall that several years ago, CC imposed a 300GB cap, then later dropped it after customer complaints.  Read the article, then scroll down through the comments...whoa, a huge amount of anger directed toward CC,  surprise-surprise:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/11/comcasts-data-cap-finally-goes-nationwide-in-...

Highlighted
New Poster

https://ibb.co/XL82Vsg img.bb is like imgur but without comments and way faster. behold it'sagreatdeal.png, so long as you really get your money's worth anyway.

Highlighted
New Poster

Also experiencing higher than average data usage. This will be my second month going over I can only assume (as of writing I am at ~1TB/1.2TB).

tl;dr: I stream games and watch anime.

I do gaming streams with a 6k constant bitrate upload for about ~4hrs at 5 days a week. I also watch anime at 1080p and occasionally leave it on overnight maybe once or twice a week. There's a lot of games on my PC that have auto-updates too, but my 3 main games' updates are normally 3-7GB every other week or so. I downloaded 5-7 games earlier this month with drastically different sizes, but I'd argue no more than 100GB each. I have no monitoring tools, so I'm probably forced to pay the extra fee for 50gb per. Is it possible to hit 1.2TB with this kind of usage?

I read a ton of other posts on the site, but haven't found another streamer on here. I had to fight tooth and nail to figure out an outage my neighborhood had for roughly a whole month without Comcast knowing about it. I'd hate to do the entire song and dance with Xfinity (call for basic troubleshooting, call again, wait for tech, wait for higher tech, etc) if their monitoring system is borked. 

I promise to keep an eye on this thread and just installed Glasswire (free version) in the meantime. If I don't have any evidence, how would I be able to argue with Xfinity anyway? 

EDIT: I totally forgot about Win10 has it's own built in Data Usage (Win Key > Settings > Network > "Data Usage" button under "You're connected to the Internet"). I'm currently at 668.74GB for the last 30 days. Where is the other ~400GB coming from?

Highlighted
New Poster

Suddenly using double the data?

After many years of being a subscriber, I received my first text warning me that I was soon to exceed my data limit. Surprised, I looked at recent data usage and found that there was an inexplicable doubling of my usage three months ago. Nothing about my actual usage has changed. I've been basically quarantined since March, yet usage apparently doubled and has remained at the new level for three billing cycles now. Can I access a more granular breakdown of usage (time of day or particular device)? It seems suspect that my usage would suddenly double and I would start to be threatened with overage charges.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Suddenly using double the data?

You got a warning? lol I never got one personally then went unlimited. I am even on unlimited for my phone But this month I got a alert for my xfinitymobile than some how I reached my 20 gb limit despoite being unlimited and I have no idea how I had done that seeing as I only  send a few texts here and there. and play cards that's isn't online  on my phone. So yea I feel like the data  thing isn't working right. I would love to See xfinity say my phone used up 20 GBs next month as I turned off data use. Desp[ite I know there is no way I used up 20 gbs . 

Highlighted
New Poster

Internet Data

Hello, I am new to streaming TV and I need help understanding internet data. They say almost nobody uses their data up for the month, but we have used ours up for both of

the months we have had it. There is nobody in my home except me and my husband, and we are both over 65. Can somebody please explain to me how we are using up all of our data? Thank you.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Internet Data

There are lots of ways to use data.  For streaming in particular, Netflix uses around 3GB/hour in HD and up to 7GB/hour for UHD.  That's just an example - other services may use different amounts.

Highlighted
New Poster

Very high data usage showing and have not changed habits

I am showing over 2781 GB of data usage - how is that even possible? If I understand correctly - 1,000 GB = 1TB so it is saying that we have used almost 3TB.....That is ludicris!! There is no way when we have not changed our usage habits. So my overage charges are going to be astronomical....Unfortunatly I cannot change providers since my hosuing development has an exclusive contract with Comast so I am stuck.  How is this fair trade democracy when you cant choose a procider?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Very high data usage showing and have not changed habits

The first thing you should do is find out if you are using that much data, and if so, whether you want to reduce that or continue.  If you want to continue, then paying for unlimited would be cheaper than paying overages every month.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is insane. My usage, too, has shot up 350GB a month or more and I am gone 12 hours a day. There is no way! I spend 2 hours on CHAT with a tech who told me to call the "dedicated data escalation team" and gave a number, but, he then said he created a call back. Naturally when I told the peron on the phone they had no idea what I was talkign about and swore up and down there was no such department. Even when I had 12 chats with "dedicated data escalation team" and the number to call. Xfinity is the worst. It is the 1st ISP I have that limits data, then pushes you to near limit, or over (becasue most don't notice) so they can jack up charges at some point down the line. 

I was told would be given a detailed report from the dedicated data escalaton team to show usage times, devices consuming data, etc. Then the woman on the phone said the ONLY thing available to us is the daily usage.....which I can see on the site myself! This is criminal. Not showing you your own data, only pretty graphs saying  "yep it went up!" 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

If you have the xFi app, you can get a break down by device.  If you find the right person, you can get a day by day break down.  If you want lots of details, you should probably use your own router.  Scroll back through this thread for ideas on those, including making your own router out of an old PC.