Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Highlighted
New Poster

Data usage has increased for NO reason

I have been with comcast/xfinity for over a decade and have never gone over on data usage. I do check my usage from time to time but hadn't during August. I received a text telling me I was over. I checked and I was over, which again was odd, as I have never been over nor close to being over.  September 5th my usage was 207GB and 10 days later it was 811GB. From the 5th to the 15th it jumped 604 GB, with all of my usage the exact same as it has been for over a decade! I called "customer" service only to be told what I already know, but with a push to buy more data (hmmm increasing my uasge to get me to buy more!?). Called their "customer security team" was told the same thing and again pushed to buy more data.

Maybe someone from this format can help  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Data usage has increased for NO reason

I was wondering if I use wifi instead of ethernet connection to both TVs. I have Orbi mesh network so the wifi speed is pretty good throughout the house. Will using wifi reduce my data usage (perhaps a stupid question)?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No it will not.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

@AndyTex 

The resolution that you decide to stream will reduce your data usage.

The device you use for streaming will not reduce your data usage.

Highlighted
New Poster

This happened to me. I have been dealing this on a daily basis for the last three months. I AM HACKED AND MAYBE YOU HAVE BEEN AS WELL. I live in a small apartment complex that is well hidden and isnt managed like your typics corporate apartment housing. Dont get me wrong, I love this place and the management is great, but they arent onsite, so they dont necessarily experience or deal with the same stuff the residents do.  We have about 30 units. about 4 months ago, I saw my data usage and it showed that in May I used about 600GB of data!!!! I  am not even a gamer! I use wifi on my phone. I am one of those that streams tv, and am on my phone mostly, with the occasional checking emails on a laptop or computer. No heavy workload at home as I have an office. I showed 600GB. Thats when I knew something was up. The spike was so out of place in the graph.  I started investigating why and trying to get comcasts help by explaining the things I uncovered along the way.... but the inept service organization and  Long story short, I was right. My building is hacked. Its a group of hackers, some are on the inside of comcast and other companies like Microsoft. I really doubt their employers know nor would they approve, obviously they are rogue and abusing their privilege. They installed two business modems jacked in to the main line in from comcast, spliced it, and fed into two Arris TMO8 modems that fed into telephone panel. When I called comcast, the CSR said the only business account here was onsite leasing, which they took offsite, and it was one land line that was forwarded to a cell phone. PRetty basic. I asked him so why are there two broadband business modems, with 6 cat 5 wires, and those 6 plugged specifically into certain units - mine being one of them. I do not have a land line nor do I use DSL... There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why there should be two modems. who uses landlines excepty your grandmother??  it didnt even need that one business modem. Anyway, his reponse was that he cant do anything about it because he doesnt work on business accounts. I said well why did you come out here then?? Also, the guy that came out was the exact same guy that I spoke to when I called in like 4 days prior. I said why are the cables cut and jacked into the phone in such a shoddy amateur way? and WHY WHY WHY are there two if there is only one phone line. He finally said "i looked and it shows that one of them is supposed to be DISABLED but there is alot of activity on it" I said that doesnt strike you as suspiciously odd and criminal? I told him I have been noticing a broadband signal here that usually isnt, its hidden. But every once in a while it reveals it self to mess with me online. Well... im not scared of keyboard cowboys. I will just say this, for nearly two months I did not realize I had someone remoting into my computer and accessing all my data, stealing it, My identity is offically reported stolen and on life lock. Ive closed two bank accounts. I have reformatted every computer and device in my possession from home to work, and he is still there. Why? because of the two modems in the maintenance room, plugged into the telephone panel. At first it didnt make sense to me why the old telephone panel when we all use cellphones. Then I went to go buy a new router, and it had antennae and it just clicked that he is using the buildings thephone copper wiring as a giant antenna, and one of them is plugged into my units line.  The comcast guy says you shouldnt worry about it, youre not paying for it. Its not on your account! BUT how did he know it was or wasnt? Anyway, Ive just been calling them and doumenting everything, doing my due diligence. showing I brought it to everyones attention. when I walk into the investigaors office, I will have done most of the heavy lifting for him. im not getting paid, im not even appreciated by most. but this was all still worth it and it will be so freaking great when they shut those modems down and hopefully able to catch who is associated with it. But here we are 3 months later, Ive lost a lot, but Ive learned a lot too. I learned so much about the technology that exists today and strategies that hackers take.  I put in extra hours all week basicallly only sleeping when I cant keep my eyes open. ITS SO STRESSFUL and EXHAUSTING. But yea, you guys are still fairly young. Im a 40 year old man that has his own company and just became President and CEO of a non profit homeless reource center for young adults between  18- 24.  dont know why i didint see more as but I dornve head that they are tyring toto now wieht thenw banking is place. My suggestion: pay attention to detail, when I caught my hacker i just started to desroy all the thigs I could software wise so it became inoperable and he had to rebuild it. i lived for four  months with him in everything, including my phones, and if you dont think apple Is hackable, think again, its out there, many of you will just never come across it. Most people dont even know theyve been hacked. So why was my data so High if im a light to moderate user? well ive come to learn He reselling some of it, and he also turns your computer into a server while youre asleep and a lot of random people you dont know are now granted permission by someone who has no authrity. Dig deeper if you know something isnt right! My IT guys who was a friend Jason Lecompte at Jamaju IT turned his back on me without even looking at my networkt that he built.  IF he did, maybe I wouldnt have suffered such a hard blow.  People will call your crazy but you maybe talking about things they dont understand. When I told people I was hacked, and nobody believed me until just very recently when I had the second comcast guy come out truly me out, look at my documentaion, go and see the Modems in the maintenace room, he and his supervisor both advised me to call the FBI. Because at the end of the day Comcast leadership do not care about cybersecurity. ITs not smart business for them. IT costs them a lot of resources to go after hackers. They just want to be the hightway, but not the police. Statistics show that cybercrime is the fastest growing segment of crime today. and that my industry the healthcare industry is seeing growth by at least 20 percent each year. WHY? because its easy and very hard for them to get caught. 43 percent of all businesses in America get hacked. That is almost every other business with losses in the hundreds of billions, they just dont talk about it or they wont tell you. Protect your stuff. It is scary thinking about what they can do your Identity on the dark web.... I know that mine has been sold and now there is some weird connection with Ukraians, Nextiva VOIP phone company, and these hackers. I just have this weird feeling because of how its all going. This VOIP phone company, with these ukranians are very well mannered, knowledgeable and provide excellent customer tech support, some of the best customer experience, but some things are off... After I started talking about my hacking experiences with them and how telecommunications security is so important in my business, they assigned me one tech guy, same guy. he calls me nearly everyday to find out whats going on. Is he really interested or is he just handling me?  there was a lady at godaddy who I screamed at because my emails were being sabotaged again literally after a few minujtes of recovering them.  some of you still being intercepted and redirected after i paid like 300$, this godaddy rep who also does real este, she told me she expeienced the same thing. EXCEPT THEY WERE RUSSIAN! NK!  anyway, i have to go to FBI I dont want to. But if I dont this, nobody will and they will just continue to get away with it and no one will know the truth. Video, bit coins, serving, are  some of it, but they are dealing with big companies and big money so you know why I am so  just shocked and scared. Anyway enough Im just so tired. Living with no privacy and just and FYI know that he is listening aright your head up. everyday for  3going on 4 months. IF you dont squash it early on, it will infiltrate everything. They can be everywhere and nowhere. and they are hard to catch.  Omg i almost dozed off and he has been editing some where i cant see ugggh ....All of this is real. protect yourself. find out exactly why your data is high, download wifi tools and Ip address tools from the app store and look around you. those signals are all around you, you just cant see them. gonna see if i can attache some ppics.    OH, and if you dont care about technology, you should start to and start paying attention. Sorry if this was too long, i just need people to know this could happen to you.  because everybody is talking about a jump in data but I have seen anyone ask if youve been hacked. peace!                                                                                                                                                                         

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Wow! I don't have the patience or the skills you have. I am wondering if there is any software I can install to monitor my daily data usage. I am ready to throw in the towel and go with their unlimited plan. I don't have any other provider in the area that offeres gig internet other than Comcast.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@AndyTex do you need 1 gig service?  So far, I've only seen you mention TVs, so you might consider slower internet plus unlimited for a price similar to what you're paying now.  (Netflix says they need about 5Mbps for HD video.)

As for software, it depends on what you have.  For example, as far as I know, Windows 10 keeps track of its data quite well (settings/network and internet/data usage).  Many other OS's have similar data tracking.  Of course, this is per device.  For the whole home, your best bet is probably the kind of stuff that @flatlander3 mentioned. 

There's also the process of elimination.  Personally, I wouldn't sign up to pay for unlimited before I had determined the cause.  It would be a shame to pay money because someone hacked into your cameras or your thermostat or doorbell has a bug, or a PC has malware etc.

Highlighted
New Poster

Our household experiencing same "high data" useage issue withought any change in our habits, infact the TV is off more than it was months ago.  Xfinity had to have made a change.

Highlighted
New Poster

So did you ever get a solution?  I'm having the same issue.  UGH.  Multiple phone calls and chat with no solution.  I have 600gb from March to July.  NO changes except that my husband actually started working at the office 3 days a week and not at home.  And we were gone 8 days out of the month of August, yet we used 1700 gb.  September, same story.  I'm so frustrated.  They just want me to upgrade to unlimited for my "peace of mind".  Makes my internet bill $80 a month.  That is not piece of mind for me.  I have my own modem, no gaming, 2 fire sticks, 3 tablets, 2 computers and a sonos music system.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Yep same issue for me and several people in surrounding neighborhoods are having the same problem.  Very frustrating as there is no other option in our area.

Highlighted
New Poster

Who do I have to contact for security issues?

I’ve tried to address my concerns with excessive data being used even though my PC has been not working for months. I’ve never used 150GB at times 200GB in a month ever. Like who is using all that data and doing what? Is this why my PC isn’t working? I tried to ask an agent at the xfinity store in Corvallis, Oregon... his name was Jaime, he was no help whatsoever. Instead of sounding concerned and willing to try to get to the bottom of it he began telling me that I was the problem and that I had to be smarter about my internet usage. What’s wrong with that picture... I am a customer with a problem with one of your services, it’s clear to me I can’t fix the problem, why didn’t he have a solution for me?
Highlighted
New Poster

Spike in data use

We have not changed anything in our behavior or use from July to August to September but our data use has gone way up.... seems like something has changed on your end

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We don't "need" gigabit speed. We used to Uverse 450 (AT &T 45MB). I t was pretty expensive. So we decided to switch the carrier and strictly went to streaming. Paying Comcast for this service is still cheaper than the old arrangement. We have two TVs, 3 Phones (Verizon) and two tablets. We do use WIFI for phones and tablets when home. So its a mystery of excessive data never to be solved.

Highlighted
New Poster

Hi Data Usage and No Help From Comcast Xfinity

I have been complainting for months about this issue and they do nothing but hang upon you, rude and say you are the problem. Its just two people in our household and I don't watch that much streeming. Comcast claim its because of COVID-19 and people now working from home, but I've always worked from home so nothing has changed in our home and they refused to believe. Today I made 4 calls and 1 chat. 3 of the reps hung up on me and the last rep told me to run malware on my devices and change my password and that will make the diffreence. I refus/ to believe this.  I have had comcast for 3 years and never an outage until the past 4 months. Now every month we are over. This is a Comcast issue and they refuse to address it head on.  I made a complaint to BBB and the next day got a call and they just pasified me on this and promised some one would come out. But its COVID and I dont expect that. Anyway no one came, just a call telling me to run malware, change paswords, etc. Nothing viable. My sister said Comcast told her to get the unlimited package or she would have problems.  Our options are to pay the extra and get unlimited or continue to be over and get charged or move to another carrier. I'm exhausted wasting time talking to these people. I'm considering moving back to AT&T.😭

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Hi Data Usage and No Help From Comcast Xfinity

I want Comcast to bring back the unlimited data now!!!!  With everyone at home now, they should bring that back like they did when COVID first hit.  It amazes me how they can't supply this to everyone.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm baaaaaaccccckkkkk! Comcast banned me from this forum for 1 month due to my urging for everyone to file a complaint like I did to get results since customer service is an absolute joke and not helping anyone. It doesn't look like much has changed. When I was banned there were 16 pages worth of complaints and now I see 18 BUT there might be a solution!

Our data shot up a ton for July and for August, we came in just barely under the data limit of 1.2TB's of data, I think 5 or 10 GB's which we knew was impossible like everyone else and this is not something we want to deal with every month and shouldn't have to either. I didn't even have Wifi on my phone for most of the month of August because the data shot up in just a week and it was somehow more than July. So this time, I filed my complaint with the BBB since I wasn't getting anywhere with Comcast directly. I will say this, my complaint with the BBB was taken seriously and I was contacted from someone on Comcast's Security team also at the very end of August, a team I have never been directed to ever. 

While this rep said all the same things about possible issues as everyone else and I knew they weren't reasons for our data being so high, he was very nice. More imporatntly, he also changed my firewall settings, something I was not able to do on my own as he needed to direct me to a specific site and give me login credentials. I do not know if this is why our data for September is as it should be or if Comcast knows I'm not playing around anymore but here we are at the end of the month and our data is right at 800GB's for the month. We did not change any of our media habits and they better believe I'll be checking our usage every day, multiple times a day moving forward to make sure it stays this way.

It's also worth noting that Comast told the BBB that they went through a software upgrade in August and discovered at some point this month that there was a bug that affected select users and their data though they claim mine wasn't affected. I don't necessarily believe that because they have not made anything like this known to their customer base and considering all the complaints, very sketchy!

So to wrap it up, I would advise to do what you can to get connected specifically with someone on Comcast's Security team and have them send you credentials to set the firewall settings. This is the ONLY thing that has been changed in the last month and it took filing a complaint to get it done. Hopefully it stays this way for us and works for everyone else

Highlighted
New Poster

Same thing happened to me.  The intersting thing is that I use a nighthawk router, which also tracks my data usage, and it's showing I've used a fraction of what comcast is reporting.  Seems VERY scammy.  Support and their securities team is not help, as they just tell me it's my fault.  Reading everyone's comments on this forum, and looking at the data my router is reporting Directly to me, I beg to differ.  Outside of filing a complaint with the BBB, I also plan of contacting a lawyer if this continues.  I have all the data I need to easily get my overage fees back in a small claims court.  I've already spoken to a lawyer about this as well.

I really hope someone from Comcast sees this, and starts to take their customer service a bit more seriously.  

Highlighted
Contributor

@lassi505 

"More imporatntly, he also changed my firewall settings, something I was not able to do on my own as he needed to direct me to a specific site and give me login credentials"

This is of extreme interest to me, as I have been working it with another solution.  Can you be a bit more specific on this?

Were you directed to log into your gateway with a browser?  An internal network address like a 192.168.x.x IP address, or something external with an https://xxxxx.com address?  Also, can go back in and tell me what firewall settings you were directed to change?

Are you using Xfinity supplied gear, or your own?  I find it extremely odd if someone at Xfinity would be able to give you login credentials for customer owned gear.  Also odd if they could tell you what your password was for Xfinity owned gear.  At best, they should only be able to reset the password for you and provide a temporary one -- provided they have the ability to blank and default setup, and then reprovision Xfinity owned gear.  I don't know if they can do that or not from their end.

If there is something "upstream" from my gateway/modem with settings I can modify......well.....I need to know that, and specifically what that device or account setting is.

Thanks

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Crazy high usage

What if we refuse to pay for data overage unless they can provide indisputable records proving over use?  It would seem a court would rule in our favor if we are required to pay for a service we did not receive.  What if we go to arbitration?  What if we find a firm to file a class action lawsuit?  I am having the same problem, told I am approaching my allowable data limit when I know I am not.  When asked for proof I get the run around and for whatever reason no proof is revealed.  The burden of proof is on them.  It's a scare tactic to get us to pay for more or unlimited data. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@flatlander3 

Exactly right, I was directed to log into the gateway via browser and the IP address was similar to the example you provided. I don't remember what the settings were except there were 3 options and I'm almost certain the options were Low, Mid, High and my settings were originally on Low and moved to the Mid. 

I'm using Xfinity equipment and if memory serves me right, they had my user name and a password that I had to change in order to get in.

That's literally all that has been changed. I know we're only at Oct. 4 but it's already looking exactly like it did last month which is the way it should be

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Proof of Data Usage from Xfinity directly

Hello, 

I've had a tier 2 support ticket open for a month now. The person I was in touch with at 888-565-4329, and his unique 7 digit extension has yet to reach back out to me going on 3 weeks now. 

Xfinity says my husband and I (2 people) are using 1300+ GB of data a month. Using Xfinity's data calculations (2.2GB of 1hr streaming in 4K, about a GB for HD) - we dont have ANY 4K capable devices here - we still wouldnt surpass the 1200GB data cap, even if we watched 10hrs of netflix everyday of the week, along with our 8hr workdays - which in and of itself is kind of out there, considering Comcast is the ONLY ISP that holds their customers to a data cap. Our personal router (we don't use Comcast's) alerts us to new devices connected to the network, and in fact I've blocked new devices from coming on to our network without approval - so it's not that.  Whats even funnier is all of a sudden after opening a ticket, my usage was cut in half to about 600GB for the month of September, but now reporting unusually high just like previous months (more than 50GB a day, no matter how much we stream). 

I've asked for proof with a report of our data usage and Xfinity has stopped at nothing to avoid providing me with this reporting of my usage. Safe to say, the lack of trust with Xfinity is growing with every phone call I have. My bill is due on Monday and I refuse to pay for overages that they cannot prove. Does anyone know if the CPA has reach to get Xfinity to provide me with the reporting I need to see if they are gauging the numbers to force their customers onto an unlimited plan that is in fact not necessary. It's almost like they count 1GB as 2GB, which makes everyones data usage spike. 

Is everyone who has 1GB speed experiencing this? Or do folks with lower speeds also experience unusally high data usage as reported by Xfinity? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Internet usage

Hello - has this been re-run to see if new customers have been affected? I started with Xfinity in June 2020, and have seen nothing but data overage, with 2 people living in a home and no 4K capable devices, I find it difficult to believe we use 1300+ GB a month. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Proof of Data Usage from Xfinity directly

@vbat2,  The numbers I see for Netflix are 3GB/hr in HD and 7GB in 4K.  These are 3 to 1 ratios vs your numbers so that might account for your discrepancy.

I've never heard of anyone getting any specific proof beyond what the meter says.  There have been a few cases where someone has given day by day breakdowns but I've never seen reports from Comcast broken down by URL or protocol if that's what you're looking for.

Highlighted
Contributor

@lassi505 

Never was a fan of default passwords.  Changing it is good.  Go back in and change a few more things.  I don't have Xfinity gear, but perhaps some other folks can give you more detail on what the pages look like on your router.  You want to change:

Firewall settings --> from med to High

If there's an option to block portscans, turn that on too.

Disable ICMP.  They may call it "respond to ping".  It's a bad idea to allow that and it isn't nessessary in the first place and a sync/ack and flood ping attack risk.

Disable any kind of remote access to your gateway.  No, you don't want to be able to mess with settings from another offsite location.  If you want to be able to do that, there's other secure ways to accomplish that.  Never expose anything that runs a web server, or any other service to the internet without other gear to protect it, and the ability to update the service with full control of the software.  You don't have that with an Xfinity gateway.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am already at 327 GB for this month. I am on a gigabit speed plan. This time around, I will not be granted courtsey overage..

Highlighted
Contributor

@AndyTex 

Well.  How about an experiment?  After the previous post, I started looking at the manuals for Xfinity gear.  You can find yours here if you are using one of their gateways.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides?

So let's look at one.  How about a TC8305C user guide?  That's technicolor.  They got ARIS and others too.  Flip your gateway over, see what model it is.  Probably has a bar code with a default username and password on it too.

Here's the manual:

https://secure.xfinity.com/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/wireless_gateway/HOW5220_TC8305C_Us...

I'd say this goes for ALL gear, not just Xfinity.  If you want different, then I hope you know what you're doing.

Login to your gateway.  A web browser to http://10.0.0.1 with a default username=Admin, password=password (facepalm.......gahd!!!!) on this model.

Section 3.2 page 28 change that password.  Seriously.......

Now let's look at the firewall configuration section 5.2 and page 41.  Although the firewall on a gateway is truly junk and shouldn't really be trusted for security, notice the default setting.  It's set to a predefined default of "low".   That is of zero help to anyone.  I was surprised to see it.  You want this changed to "High".

Maximum Security (High): Blocks all the applications including voice applications (such as Gtalk, Skype) and P2P applications. Allows Internet browsing, email, VPN, DNS and iTunes services.

So now you've disabled:

1. ICMP pings

2. UPnP -- it was a bad idea when it came out, it's still a bad idea

3. You may have closed port 443 if they're talking about skype and possibly some higher UDP ranges, but that is really untested.  In any case, you want to set this to "high".  This one doesn't have a "block portscan" or "Block DoS" attack or other options.  If yours does, turn all those on too.

Make sure you hit SAVE.

Check section 6.1.1 UPnP.  Make sure that setting is really disabled.  (SAVE again).

Section 6.1.2 Port Forwarding.  Make sure that setting is disabled (SAVE again)

Section 6.1.3 Port Triggering.  Make sure that setting is disabled (SAVE again)

Section 6.1.4 DMZ host.  Make sure that setting is disabled (SAVE again)

This model has no "Remote Access" feature -- configuration from a remote location.  Good!!!  If yours does, Disable that too.

Look at your usage now on the Xfinity site -- they claim a 24 lag, so yesterday hasn't shown up yet (perhaps).  Look at it two days from now.

Did the difference in your usage reported look lower than 300+G in 7 days?  I'm horrified at the default settings.  Perhaps they are all that way.......you know.....to make stuff Easy for an end user and avoid support calls.........dunno.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Looks complicated, but I will try it before running out to Xfinity store. Thanks.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sorry to say that I give up. Yesterday I went to Xfinity store and signed up for additional $11/month unlimited plan. I was already at 527 Gig. This time around, when I go over the limit, they would have been happy to charge me $10/50 gb.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone. Since this continues to be an ongoing issue for everyone, I just wanted to post a follow-up now that we're half-way through October and I'm very happy to say our data usage is still as it should be, close to 400GB's and right on track to be around 800GB's for the month.

Again the ONLY thing that has changed (back at the very end of August,) was our Firewall settings from Low to Mid and it took getting connected to Comcast's Security team to provide credentials. Our Media and Internet usage have not changed in the slightest.

I don't know if that's what officially fixed things and can't imagine what it's doing to keep the numbers in check but since it's been working so far, do anything and everything you can to get directed to this group. For me personally, it took filing a complaint with the BBB to get to that team and the Security rep even read the complaint word for word to make sure he knew what my problem was. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have only had Xfinity Internet for a month or so, and am nowhere near the data cap. I have my own router (ASUS AX3000), and have the Xfinity Gateway in Bridge mode and turned off it's Wi-Fi, so everything goes through the ASUS and gets logged by device, by hour. The total the ASUS shows tracks pretty closely to what "My Account" shows. Without that sort of information, it is a guessing game. Somebody poaching wi-fi? rogue device/app?  No way to tell, but some of the numbers people have mentioned make me think one of those.

I have found that my average "web surfing" data use went from about 3 GB/day to about 4. Likewise, my wife's iphone gaming went up from 3 to almost 5 GB/day. My suspicion is that all of the video ads can now come in much more rapidly, so they show us more of 'em.

Highlighted
New Poster

I recieved the data usage warning last week. I checked the usage data and it shows I used almost 1TB 20 days into the billing cycle. this cannot be possible.  The spike started in Sept but I hit the 80% threshold and got the email warning this month. We don't stream movies other than occational watching youtube clips which we have been doing for years. I have been checking my everyday data usage since I got the first notification, and it shows I was using anywhere ffrom 30-50GB per day(that's a lot of HD movies! to watch) . Our usage pattern hasn't changed and I don't see unrecognized devices connected to my router(although I changed my wifi password out of precaution). I called xfinity Security Assurance team but they just repeated what I already know. I asked for a breakdown of the website and IP addresses which consumes most of the data and they don't have those information.  I am an IT professional and I know it will require a lot of HD streaming to use even 30GB of data per day(we don't have 4K TV). Now it's all what xfinity says against what I say and I see this is as a losing battle. I am waiting for their level 2 support to call me back. But if I don't get a satisfied answer, I will jump ship and switch to AT&T.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@charlie_y for "typical" people, I recommend a process of elimination to see where the data is going.  However, since you are an IT professional, you'll probably want to look at the posts from @flatlander3 as it sounds like you could have fun tracking this down.  Please let us know what you find!

Highlighted
New Poster

thanks. I changed the firewall setting to typical(medium) as I have Ooma VOIP as a backup home phone and cannot set it to maximum(high). Will see if this makes any differnece. I will report back in a few days.

Highlighted
Contributor

I'd love to see the meter broken down into days and even hours so we can better understand what might be causing the problem. 

It would also be useful to enable short-term logging (say for an hour) of traffic by port and address, but that can be expensive if done on the head-end router in Comcast's data center. I've used that on my personal router running OpenWRT to try to figure out which device and port is using my connection. I wish the Comcast router offered similar abilities.