Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Unusually high data usage first day of service.

And to compound the issue, I have three kids who are now, for the foreseeable future, going to be "going to class" via video conference (one college, one high school, and one elementary) from home over the internet.  So with that, the overage from February, and what appears will likely be an overage for March, I have been looking at adding true unlimited to my plan, which brings up a few other issues.  While finding references to unlimited data on the Xfinity web site is relatively easy, it is very difficult to work your way to a web page where you can actually add unlimited data for the extra $50 per month.  Everything I see on Xfinity web site says that anyone who has a data cap is eligible to upgrade to unlimited for $50 per month.  However, whenever I go to "manage my plan", I find no options for adding this.  Through several different searches on xfinity articles/information pages, I finally found a link to click to add the unlimited plan.  However, when attempting to do so, the page would go through several iterations of "checking availability", "reviewing your plan", or other such things and eventually ended up with a blank web page.  I tried again today and got this:

"We're sorry.

It looks like this product isn't available for you to purchase right now. Please check back again soon."  

So essentially, the amount of data xfinity says we are using does not appear to match up with what we think we are using, and unless we pay an extra $50 per month we could get overage charges as high as $200.  But even if we concede the numbers are legitimate and try to add unlimited, it won't let us.  Xfinity is our only real option for internet sufficient for what is needed.  Even if we decided we were fed up with this and chose to forego any and all other broadband to ditch xfinity, we cannot with our kids needing internet access to attend remote classes.  They literally have us hostage and I can't even add unlimited to avoid the massive overage charges.  

I can count on 1 finger the number of times that I have had quality costumer service by calling so I am avoiding that at all costs.  I have had very good customer service at the local brick and mortar office in the past.  I plan to stop by there on my way home from work today to see if they can add unlimited to our plan.  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

RobertWy,

I agree that an idle Roku (at the home screen with one of the default screen savers) doesn't appear to use much data.  I can't say anything about others.  Since you have multiple TV streaming devices, a simple test is to just unplug one of them for a couple of weeks and see if there is a significant difference.  (ie: watch the same amount of TV – just do it all with one of the devices disconnected.)  It might be one of them, but it might be some completely different device as well.  The Roku here uses a lot of data in the winter (lots of TV watching) but the data plummets in the spring (much less TV time).

Highlighted
Contributor

Another thing you can do with the little cheap $24 Roku is use a really short USB cord and plug it into the TV USB port.  (most TV's with HDMI will have a USB port).   The TV can usually only source about 500mA according to the specs on my TV's, but it seems to be enough.  The Roku will tell you if it isn't enough with a "Low Power" warning screen.  Try to use the shortest cable that will reach.

Then, TV Off will kill power to the Roku and you won't have to worry about it at idle at all, or if there's an app open.  Won't work for the larger Roku base station.  You're going to need to source an amp or more inrush current at startup for that.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'll just leave this tidbit here. <Edited>

If Xfinity thinks they'll be able to cash in big now with the virus and people being home more till it dies down, I think they've got another thing coming

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2020/03/12/att-becomes-first-to-lift-fees-for-going-over-data...

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Data plan paused for 60 days.  Expanded Internet Essentials:

https://corporate.comcast.com/covid-19

From the link: "Pausing Our Data Plan: With so many people working and educating from home, we want our customers to access the internet without thinking about data plans. While the vast majority of our customers do not come close to using 1TB of data in a month, we are pausing our data plans for 60 days giving all customers Unlimited data for no additional charge."

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

Thank you

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have both AT&T Uverse and Xfinity. One thing I love about Uverse is I can see my daily usage. When I only had Uverse, we went way over the 1T in a month. I was able to find 4 days where the usage was 200-250gig each day and figured out that my son got a new Xbox and was redownloading ALL his games Yikes.

Anyway I WISH Xfinity had a daily usage meter like AT&T

Highlighted
Contributor

Just adding my name to this Megathread.  Im in roughly the same boat as everyone else.  What ive also noticed is that most of these issues all started around the same time.  End of Nov 2019 and into March of this year.

Surprisingly though my data usage went down this month!  ive been almost capping the 1TB limit for almost 4 months now (previous to that i was in the 400 to 500gb range) and had pretty much given up on getting any resolution.  Then when the pandemic hit i was 100% postive that i would be going over that cap (knowing caps were lifted) with both my wife and I working remotely.  So i was completely shocked when i saw not only was my usage lower it was back down to not even 400gb for the month!

So riddle me this.  In a time when internet is so needed why would my data usage go down?  Furthermore,  Xfinity has removed the data cap during this time and has said that their infrastructure is handling the increased usage well.  If thats so why impose the caps in the first place?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

A riddle-answer consistent with the reported info is that comcast has made very recent software bugfixes and enhancements to the accuracy and reliability of the software which provides the byte-counts visible to their customers.    

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Yickster wrote:

So i was completely shocked when i saw not only was my usage lower it was back down to not even 400gb for the month!

So riddle me this.  In a time when internet is so needed why would my data usage go down?  Furthermore,  Xfinity has removed the data cap during this time and has said that their infrastructure is handling the increased usage well.  If thats so why impose the caps in the first place?

It appears that the implementation of "pausing the data plan" was simply turning off the meter.  Ours stopped going up when they said that data plans would pause and our use for April is 0.  Other people have reported the same.

Xfinity says their infrastructure is handling things.  Some posters here seem to disagree. In any case, they simply charge more for using more. I don't think they claim that their system would fail if they didn't.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@strega7 wrote: ... It appears that the implementation of "pausing the data plan" was simply turning off the meter. ...

Maybe. In South-Central PA my meter registered 0 on April 1-5, but began counting again yesterday (April 6).

Highlighted
Contributor

Welp, looks like my data has "paused" as well. Wait, I've seen commercial after commercial and received lots of emails about being able to track data usage but now it's frozen. I understand it doesn't matter right now but should we not be able to still see the usage they reportedly say we are using?

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Yickster 

With so many of our customers working and learning from home, we want you to access the Internet without thinking about data plans. While the vast majority of our customers do not come close to using 1TB of data in a month, we are pausing our data plans through May 13, 2020, giving all customers Unlimited data for no additional charge.

More info here: https://www.xfinity.com/prepare

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastTeds 

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Yickster 

With so many of our customers working and learning from home, we want you to access the Internet without thinking about data plans. While the vast majority of our customers do not come close to using 1TB of data in a month, we are pausing our data plans through May 13, 2020, giving all customers Unlimited data for no additional charge.

More info here: https://www.xfinity.com/prepare

Thanks for the response!

I think I speak for most that we are all appreciative of the cap being lifted during this time.  Although, I must say, for people like myself who come very close to/go over the limit each month pausing the meter that you say is the way for customers to track seems a bit silly.

In my opinion, this is the time I think we should all be monitoring it more.  In this way, people can get an idea of what they are using when everyone is at home and using more data.   When/if everything returns to normal it can be compared to what their extreme usage looks like.

Pausing the data tracking just further clouds what is already kind of amibigious.  Especially for folks who do not rent Xfinity Equipment and cannot take advantage of your Xfi app.  There is little else people can do to track their usage without having further knowledge of such things.

Just a thought.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Since Comcast calculates download usage on a month-to-month basis, starting on the 1st of the month and going to the end of the month, and Comcast says that limits are suspended through May 13, 2020, what happens between May 13 and May 31 ?

It seems to me that limit suspension must end on the end of the month.

Please explain this.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Since they simply turned the meter off, they will probably just turn it back on. 

Our meter showed less then half the typical usage in March (since it stopped in mid-month) and still shows 0GB for April.  So, assuming the date holds, I would expect about half a month's worth of data on our meter in May.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-extends-comprehensive-covid-19-response-policie...

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Comcast Extends Comprehensive COVID-19 Response Policies To June 30

Comcast Extends Comprehensive COVID-19 Response Policies To June 30

As shelter in place continues to be the norm and schools remain closed across the country, Comcast announced today it will extend its commitments for Xfinity customers through June 30 to help ensure students can finish out the school year from home and remain connected to the internet during the COVID-19 crisis.

More details at the links below: 

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-extends-comprehensive-covid-19-response-policie...

https://www.xfinity.com/prepare

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I too am having the same frustrating issue. Here is the past 6 months of my data usage:

• Sept 2019 = 252 gb
  • Oct 2019 = 293 gb
  • Nov 2019 = 651 gb
  • Dec 2019 = 2,384 gb
  • Jan 2020 = 2,415 gb
  • Feb 2020 = 2,364 gb

For no reason, my data usage goes through the roof in December. Nothing has changed, no new equipment, no unusual increase in wifi activities. I've called multiple times, spoken to multiple people in different departments, had tickets opened and the issue investigated. Xfinity employees will admit that the usage spike is odd and indicates a problem, but when they can't find an immediate answer based on the limits of their reach, they shrug their shoulders. They came out in March and replaced all my equipment, but before I could monitor whether or not that addressed the data problem, they shut off data monitoring due to the pandemic. However, that didn't stop Xfinity from charging me a $200 overage fee on my bill for February. I called and asked that the fee be put on hold or waived until monitoring resumes so we can determine if the issue was in fact the equipment, but that request was denied. The xfi app is rather useless as it only indicates which device is using the most data of that particular day's overall usage but not where the high data use is coming from (i.e, downloads, video, etc). In my case it says my computer uses the highest percentage of data on a daily basis. I have changed passwords, shut off any auto-anything, run malware, etc. and started pausing this and other devices constantly to avoid any background data draw. If my devices were the issue, the data should have gone down. While many of the Xfinity customer service reps and technicians are very kind, they don't seem to have the ability to address the problem. Something is up with Xfinity's data calculation. It'd be a pretty amazing coincidence that this issue is happening for so many customers all around the same time. I'd also like to add that my household has only 2 people in it. This does not make sense and it is very dismissive for Xfinity to simply say, "well, our records says you used that much data, so that's what you used." I might also add, for general reference, I used Xfinity's own Data Usage Estimator, in which I entered these ridiculously high amounts of hourly use for the following:

• Surf the Web: 8 hours/day
  • Use Social Media: 8 hours/day
  • Game Online: 12 hours/day
  • Stream HD video: 12 hours/day
  • Stream Music: 8 hours/day
  • Send/Receive emails: 100 emails/day

Doing ALL of the above activies EVERY day...the calucated estimate of MONTHLY data usage was 703.2 gb.

So please Xfinity, how is it remotely possible for me to use more than 3x that amount of data in a month?!! And until you can answer that, you shouldn't bill me for overage fees.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Caedmom 

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above. Agreed that is a lot of data being used.

As a courtesy, I have provided credit on your account for the February data overage charges.  I also reversed any late fee charges incurred on the account over the past 18 months.  

If it helps for you to track this down , I can see very little data usage on/about  March 8th (under 10 gb) and slightly lower than average usage on/about March 7th (65 gb). There is significant usage on/about March 9th (about 115 gb).   Please keep in mind that our metering sytem can be delayed by about 24 hours (see below) so the dates might be slightly off from what I posted. 

The rest of March (through March 12 - when we temporarily suspended the data overage charges) shows consistent usage of anywhere from 70gb to 115gb per day, the average is about 80 gb/day.   

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it is part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

Comcast data metering accuracy reports at the link below:
https://www.netforecast.com/comcast-internet-usage-accuracy-reports/

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Data backups (including cloud backups)
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

You may want to also reset your password for your wifi. to see if that has an impact. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

The data plans are now back, but have increased from 1TB to 1.2TB.  The unlimited data option (for those who don't use the xFi Gateway) has decreased to $30.

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

I assume the meter is now back on.  (Ours is showing zero, but since they just started today and "Data used in the last 24 hours may not be displayed", that's probably to be expected.)

Highlighted
New Poster

Data Cap

With the knowledge that Comcast's infrastructure is robust enough to handle the increased load of COVID19, it seems irresponsible to reinstitute the data cap. I realize some bones were thrown of 1.2 TB and $30 extra for unlimited, with the ownership of a personal modem. This seems like a money grab. I have read that Comcast states most of their customers do not exceed the limit. If other customers are like me, they have modified their data consumption to stay under the limit. During COVID, I did my best to maintain my status quo. I do not stream in 4K, I try to stream in a low resolution, and I try not to download or upload large files. As Comcast has a monopoly in our area unlike the Northeast, we seem to pay the price of location. Please, Comcast, treat us fair. As a loyal customer, I would love to stay that way.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Cap

I click link to add unlimited data for $30 (Not happy, but better than $50) and says "Temporarily unavailble"... so when will it be available?

I refuse to call because I don't trust doing anything over the phone. Any time I do my bill gets messed up or the rep doesn't have a clue what they're doing or I'm pushed to get something else in addition.

Highlighted
New Poster

There's definitely something suspicious going on. Here is my data table

January 698 gb

February 558 gb

March 237 gb

April, May, and June said 0 gb until recently which has now updated to

April 0 Gb

May 1218 gb

June 1276 gb

Because of May and June they have now told me I have used up all of my courtesy months and I must pay for unlimited data to prevent having to pay for an overage in August

This doesn't seem suspicious considering we have had no new equipment added and we're streaming about the same as we always have. On average before Corona virus we were using about 700 to 1000 gb a month in the previous year

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yes, it looks like the numbers for the "missing" months have been repopulated.  Although, as above, it looks like March and April haven’t been – at least not yet. (Meter was turned off around March 13th, so current March numbers are about 40% of that Month – at least for now.)

I was surprised at how typical they look.  For example, with a bunch of classes, meetings, and family/friend chats on zoom and skype (that never happened before COVID) our data use is not very high.  Our numbers are usually higher in the winter and plummet in the warmer seasons – this year they are more even due to being home a lot even when it's warm, and adding those video meetings.  Extrapolating the video conferencing increase plus our usual Winter usage, we'll still be well below the limit.

I noticed that in Zoom, there is an option to send HD video – it's probably best to leave that off if your numbers are tight.  There are probably similar settings in other apps. I believe some video apps take whatever your webcam produces so it may not make sense to buy the highest resolution camera you can get.

It may be a glitch that repopulating those numbers, caused the system to automatically charge you for courtesy months in the past.  At least I HOPE so!

Highlighted
New Poster

I talked to them on the phone today and they gave me some runaround. He told me starting July 1st only 1 courtesy month will be allowed. He still would not give me a courtesy month. It turns out these "Free Data months" offered by xfinity during the pandemic were not actually free. They failed to tell you they would later re-calculate them starting July and try to force customers into purchasing an unlimited data package. I should have known they would cash in on this pandemic eventually. I'm glad my contract expires in September.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@nolesjs17  Apologies for any confusion we may have caused.

In reviewing your account, I don't see any data overage charges from September 2019 through the present. Your July usage (currently at 314 gb)  appears to be on track to be under 1.2 TB for the month. 

There are no courtesy months used on your account.   Customers are now allowed one monthly courtesy overage allowance with the 1.2 TB usage. The maximum overage charges per month will now be $100 (used to be $200).

As a courtesy, I have a applied a small credit to your account. I hope that helps.  

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@ComcastTeds wrote: ... Customers are now allowed one monthly courtesy overage allowance with the 1.2 TB usage. The maximum overage charges per month will now be $100 (used to be $200). ... 

For reference: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Sudden high data usage

I got an e-mail saying my data usage is almost full for July, and threatening extra charges for excess usage. I checked my meter, and my usage for July so far is 5-6 times higher than it ever was in previous months. I don't even have a cell phone. The Xfinity Assistant has been completely useless on this matter. How could my usage be that much higher if I'm not doing anything different?

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Sudden high data usage

@swanda wrote: ... How could my usage be that much higher if I'm not doing anything different?

@ComcastTeds's post at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/m-p/3334431#M32... has a lot of good information about devices that use data and tools for monitoring data usage.

Highlighted
New Poster

Unusually high data usage

I disconnected both roku devices and the computer so that my DHCP client list showed only a printer and my usage still went up 29GB overnight.  Why can't Xfinity come clean about data usage?  I spent an entire day talking to various individuals and it turns out that Xfinity is claiming data usage even when data is not being used.  I spoke with Motorola, the maker of my modem and they indicated that this has been an ongoing problem with Xfinity being an our word against theirs on data usage.  The Motorola tech said to disconnect your devices and print out out your DHCP client list which I have and usage still went up clost to 30 GB in one 12 hour shift from12am to 12pm.

Motorola even told me they have advised disconnecting the modem when I am out for the day and watch that they will still charge data against the account even with the modem disconnected.  We continually argue over connected devices which they show as 6 or 7 depending on the tech when it is only 4 maximum because we keep our phones on verizon.

Also the xfi app does not work if you are not leasing an Xfinity modem per Xfinity technician when I spent the day talking to various people including their tech department.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Unusually high data usage

Keep in mind that the Xfinity meter says it may not include data used within the last 24 hours.  So, the proper test method with such a limitation is:  Disconnect device(s).  Wait at least 24 hours.  Now record the data use (this is your starting data use).  Now wait at least 24 hours more.  Check data use again. 

Things that happened overnight or in 12 hours aren't convincing due to the 24 hour limitation.

Also, some of their cable TV boxes use internet data too and they have their own modems built-in.

Highlighted
New Poster

Need to add my 2 cents
I use UniFi gateway, switches and 2 AP I collect my traffic at the end of the month usually 10:30pm to midnight I will reset so my traffic is reflecting the current month
As of today July 11, 2020 2:20 my controller shows 351.24 GB xfinity my account shows 472GB
Why such a discrepancy? Is my set top box counting toward my data? Why would that be we do not use any of the apps I. The x1 platform. We may have used it for Netflix until for some reason we are churning thru data since they raised the limit to 1.2 TB! (Last three months we ave 800 GB)
Thoughts? Anybody?
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Fratinize, I would start by scrolling up to ComcastTeds' post in this thread on Unifi routers.  (Summary: they have "features" that can cause them to use a bunch of data on their own and they don't include that data in their metering.)

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm going to start off by saying I haven't read the most recent posts in this thread in great detail and I will once I have posted this.  What I brought me here is because I'm 12 days into the month and already at 509 GB usage.  Thats roughly 42 GB per day.  The last month we were metered was February and I averaged 34 GB per day.  I am not aware of anything that has changed in my house and in the last three days I have systemativally intentionally used less and less internet and we were even without power for a couple of hours mid-day Saturday and yet no change in our usage.  It really seems fishy to me that we are on track to hit 1.3 TB the 1st month back after keeping under 1TB for almost a year pre-pandemic.  I'm in IT so I'm aware of how data usage works and I am not working from home this month.  I've also throttled my home router and yet the number doesn't seem to change.

With that I'll go read the most recent comments and suggestions.  Next step is shutting off my router for a day to see if things still go up.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity: Please double check your Data Meter

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/services/internet#usage

It is very very wrong, and over accounting for traffic.  My belief is that code changes were made for Covid, and you have a bug in the meter.  It is magnitudes off.

I am in IT, and currently running vnstat on my router, and monitoring TX/RX traffic at the interface level, as it hits my cable modem.  I am easily averaging under 3G downstream a day, across all my devices.  That includes Web, Netflix traffic, Zoom, etc.  My upstream has increased recently due to Zoom calls.

I check the Xfinity Data Meter on a daily basis, and see it consistently increasing by approximately 30G every 24 hours!  That is impossible!

That is a factor of 10x!  There is something very wrong with that Data Meter, and causing undue concern for your customers.  

Thank you!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yes, something is very wrong with the usage meter on the xfinity site. I had the same issue. One month, all of a sudden the meter showed impossible high data usage. I was monitoring my traffic on my router, and I was only using a small fraction of what they were claiming. Read this thread, it full of people with the same issue.

Calling support is utterly useless. They give you the runaround and transfer you back and forth. They keep insisting to check my network for malware or intruders. That would make sense, if I did not have my own metering to rely on. Then they offer to rent you their 💩 modem+router+AP bundle to "find out what in your network is using the data".

I own my own modem, and I saw someone mentioning on this thread that they made the issue go away by changing their modem. I took a leap of faith and replaced my modem, and sure enough the problem went away.

I can only speculate to why the issue is tied to the modem. Maybe their meter is not compatible with some of the modems (even though the modes are supported by xfinity). Or maybe someone is spoofing the mac address of the modem. I don't know. I also don't know what I will do if the issue returns (which I'm sure it will), except hoping there will be another ISP offering service in my area by that time.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello @ilovereality and @Dinghydeb

We appreciate you both for using the Xfinity Forum to bring this to our attention. Thanks for providing the details of your experience and what you've noticed regarding your data usage.  I can understand why you'd be concerned. This isn't the experience we want for our customers. I'd like to chat with you both in a private message so I can investigate to help find a resolution.  To get started, please send me a private message with your first and last name and the street numbers associated with your address. To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click send a message. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Data Usage Concerns

Back in December, I started noticing upticks in the internet data usage amounts being reported on our account. These amounts were inconsistent with our prior usage, and never had any concerns with exceeding or approaching limits like these as long as we've been customers (6+ years).

Since then, our account has been reported as exceeding these limits. Thankfully we were afforded unlimited usage during these trying times so I didn't have to worry about it. However, now I do. So reading your website for context on how much data usage is needed in order to exceed the current 1.2TB limit, I am having difficulty figuring out where all this data usage is coming from that is showing up on my account. I feel our usage habits have not changed significantly from what we have done historically; nowhere near significant enough in how it is being reflected on our account. I cannot conceive how our actual usage lines up with what is being reported on our account.

Please advise.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same experience,

175GB used on July 1,

Yesterday, my Nest WiFi shows ~11GB used,

Xfinity meter was >30GB

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It's almost as if the meter defaults to 33 GB/day

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm on Gigabit plan using my own Arris SB8200.

I noticed the huge spike of 175GB in my usage on July 1

Nest WiFi recorded 33GB used that day,

since then my average usage according to Nest has been ~15GB/day

I can think of 2 possibilities

1) Usage meter is just using my peak usage on July 1

2) Usage meter is using an estimated usage that falls just below 1.2 TB, also explaining the 0.2TB bump on July 1

Highlighted
New Poster

I wanted to chime in my experience as of 7/16/20

I received an email last night stating I was already at 75% of my 1.2 TB data usage for the month of July 2020 and we're only half way through the month. After looking at my data usage, I noticed that it showed a growth in June as well. The ONLY thing that changed in June was cancelling TV service and keeping internet service. We don't stream 4k in our household and we don't have any backup systems constantly updating. We do have two gaming consoles that have done some downloads, however the average usage/downloads of these consoles has not changed much since January.

I find it very odd that we are seeing a spike in data usage right after our TV service was cancelled. Also of note, by using the data usage calculator provided by Xfinity,  I purposely overestimated usage on every category for the month by almost 2x of what ne normally use and it was around 1TB for th whole month.

For reference, here is our current year of usage:

January - 390gb

February - 218 gb

March - 358 gb

April - 241 gb

May - 489 gb

June - 595 gb

July - 941 gb (as of 7/16)

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Internet Data Use

It's funny others are having the same issues.

Incorrect data usage displayed for May and June and Now July they are warning me about using my courtesy month. I am thinking about switching to this new fiber optic that is available in my area. I'm tired of this. I have less than 300GB remaining i've used almost 1TB of bandwidth this month playing online games with one PC that says i've used not even 30GB of data on Windows 10... OUTRAGEOUS XFINITY FIX IT OR QUIT CHARGING CUSTOMERS OVERAGES. YOU CHARGE US ENOUGH for your SCAM CABLE INTERNET.

Highlighted
New Poster

My husband read that if you change the display type for your streaming option from 4K to 1080P it saves you data.  This semed to work for a few days but than it shot right back up.  Truthfully in today's world there should be no data caps.  I know Xfinity claims it is for consumer fairness but if that were true ALL private consumers would have data caps.  I understand that, if you use more data, you pay more however by Xfinity's own admition data caps are not universal but determined by zip code. If you happen to live in a zip code thathas no dtat caps than this is not an issue for you.  It also generally means that the consumer has other options.  It is only for those zip codes in which Xfinity has a monopoly that they institute data caps.

You can try downgrading to 1080P for your television/streaming viewing and see if it helps but in today's worl where nearly all new TVS are 4K we should not have to do this and if phone plans can go unlimited data than so can Xfinity.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yes, there is a huge difference between a 4K stream and an HD stream – check if your setting got changed.  Sometimes streaming gizmos get an update and go back to default settings.

By the way most unlimited phone plans aren't unlimited in the way you may think.  Ie: You'll typically get 20-50GB and then they slow down (usually a lot).  Also, if they allow hotspotting, they typically limit that to even less (sometimes below 1GB) because they know you want to use lots of data on bigger devices than phones.  But, lets hope they get better/cheaper because that would make Comcast react.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just received a notification that I hit 75% of my data usage this month on the 17th.

For the beginning of this year, my usage was.

Jan 192

Feb 393

Mar 355

Then when the full shelter in place came in effect.

Apr 1052

May 578

Jun 608

Jul 927

April I took as an anomaly as my family had to come to terms with a ton of video conference meets/classes.  I wasn't aware of April since Comcast decided to stop showing actual data usage when they were providing 'unmetered' service. (only to show the usage again after their 'generosity' ran its term)

I'm suspicious on the average going up, considering I haven't change my not work related habits.

Streaming movies, games, normal internet usage has remained the same.

Even factoring in video conferencing, it doesn't explain the July spike, when my kids no longer have to video conference for class and are not online for most of the day.

I have a netgear router that indicated I only used 650GB in July, which is a far cry from the 927GB the web page currently reports.

I'm going to get a new XFi modem, since mine seemed to stop working in bridge mode.

It does not give my router an IP address unless I disabled bridge mode.

Is there a way to get the measurement from the XFi modem itself?
I installed the XFinity XFi app, but I was unable to find any meters.

Just a useless network activity graph that goes from Zero - Very High.

Anyone else find a data usage problem on Comcast's side recently?
Most of the recent posts were about making changes to their video streaming options to not stream at 4k, which doesn't apply to me.

FYI:

I noticed that Comcast defines bandwidth as the total of upload and download.

Even though their marketing seemed to imply the 1.2TB cap is only for download.

I had measured this using my router when they first started the data cap limits.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have the exact same thing happen - I got a 75% data cap hit email yesterday

I checked all my devices - the grand total is around 350 GB, and the app is saying I've used 940GB 

Historically I've used June (424GB), May (273), April (515)

Yesterday there was an outage during my working hours - I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone. Anyone else with the same problem have any luck?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sky high (and wrong) data usage

I just got an email stating ive used 75% of my data 15 days into the month. I know I typically use about 400gb a month, plus or minus 100gb in any period, so nowhere near my limit. I go online to see the usage an it shows I was 100gb over 1TB in June and 955 in July!
No way!
My usage should be the same or lower than May or April which were 570gb and 489gb.
No way I doubled my usage, physically impossible.
I had an issue almost a year ago when they showed usage jumped to over a TB while averaging about 300gb a month.
After complaining my usage the following month went back down to 300mb.
This is crazy, something is wrong with your systems. Please help and correct this.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Usage Meter seems to have been fixed in the last 24 hours.

I usually average 15-20 GB / day,

but Xfinity was showing 44 GB / day.

The last 24 hours, Nest WiFi reports 7.3 GB Download & 3.0 GB Upload = 10.3 GB

Xfinity shows 15 GB used.

Close enough 😜