Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

I have noticed my internet usage almost triple from May to July.  I can't get anyone at Xfinity to tell me what changed.  Our habits haven't changed and if anything, the 3 girls aren't in class during the summer so less usage.  When I use the data usage calculator I can't get anywhere near the amount of data they say my house uses without streaming 4K.  I am not intentionally streaming 4K, so I would like to know how I turn that option off.  In other words, I don't want it to default to 4K and only stream HD.  If I am only streaming HD, then I have no idea how to possibly get to the data usage they are showing and feel something is wrong since it more than doubled in a month

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@rneuschaefer

Welcome to the same boat most of us are on.

We've seen a big increase once Comcast finally showed the data usage during the 'uncapped' months, but most people who paid attention to their usage patters saw a jump that doesn't correspond to any changes in their habits.

I myself saw a 2x usage jump during those summer months, even when school was no longer in session.  The only data usage going on there was normal work patterns and I definitely didn't see a large increase in video conferences.

Highlighted
New Poster

Unusually High Data Usage and No Help

Noticed that our data usage was increasing heavily with COVID, as most have noticed.

When I called, the resource on the phone told me that after July that COVID coverage has ended. However, COVID has not ended. My two roommates and I are all still able to work but must be online all day for our positions. We are basically having to pay more because we are working from home. When I asked why the coverage or grace hadn't been extended, the same resource told me my only option was $25/30 more a month for unlimited - why is this not being offered for $0 or why are no additional grace periods allowed?

Basically my only option was to pay more, because we are all having to work from home. This is not a solution. Neither was your resource telling me no supervisor or manager was in before pushing me to hold for an hour+ with no answer. I'm sure he completed the unlimited upgrade before he transferred me to his non-existent manager.

You need to resolve this as COVID is not over, your resources are misinforming Customers and you are unethically charging more for something outside of our/the Customers control.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well I docked the boat with the BBB and sent to my local senator. I doubt anything will change but a boy can hope...
Highlighted
New Poster

Just echo the same issue folks are reporting here - i'm aware of 24-hr trail, but here's the snapshot:

8/17:    252G remaining

8/18:    214G remaining

8/19:    180G remaining

I blocked access to my 3 security cameras and 1 Roku Premier+ last night, we'll see if metering will improve.  But we haven't changed our usage habits, prev months are << 1.2T.   I also turned on my Orbit router traffic meter to correlate with Xfinity meter last night. 

I chatted/called Xfinity and was suggested to dump my own Modem and rent Xfinity modem (to monitor usage per device) or folk out the overage charge.   I only wish we have alternative

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Don’t bother renting an xfinity router. My issues started when I upgraded to xFi triple play 1gb and they sent me new equipment. The only in-house changes is upgrading to 1gb, removing 1 tv and adding one new phone to the WiFi. With only those changes my usage went from 400gb a month to 700gb...
Highlighted
New Poster

Internet Data Usage is wrong

I have been tracking my data usage for the month of August, 2020 using the Comcast data usage meter. Reading the FAQ page on what is able to be done with 1.2 Terabytes per month, it states that you are able to stream HD video for up to 480-560 hours a month. With that being said, the very first day of August where I had barely streamed anything, I had checked the data usage meter and it stated that I had used 154 gb. My network is secure and hasn't been accessed by anyone else other than people living in my household. When checking on the data usage for different days, it ranges from using 18gb all the way up to 80gb when the same amount of streaming has been taking place. After researching/checking with multiple sources, streaming HD video from Netflix/Hulu/etc. all states that about 3.0gb should be used per hour when streaming HD video. Up to around 7gb per hour for 4k video is also the average. According to this and the Comcast FAQ page regarding the data usage, the data usage meter provided by Comcast is incredibly incorrect. I feel like Comcast is giving the wrong information regarding data usage just so that people will use up their free month and then allow charges to pile on for every month after. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Internet Data Usage is wrong

@j.turinetti

It might be something other than streaming.  Not everything that uses data is anything obvious that you can see.  You could try: stop streaming for 24 hours, read the meter, continue not streaming for another 24 hours or more, read the meter again.  If the meter continues rising substantially, then it's time to look at other things.  Checking the wrong option in Windows update, on-line backups, file sharing, etc. are some examples of ways of using lots of data.

Another issue some people have is they use a streaming device and just turn off the TV.  But the device continues to stream.

By the way, I think the 24-hour limitation of the meter is probably still present on the first day of the month, so some of that data may have been from the last day of the previous month.  Or it could just be another clue that streaming is not the real problem.

Just some ideas.  Please update us with whatever you discover.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue.  I've tracked my usage every month, and everything for August 2020 was normal from August 1-17, using 483gb.  From August 18th to today, the data tracker is saying we've used around 1500gb total.  That's over 1000gb in less than 72 hours, and we still have about 10 days to go...  I first noticed the rapid increase last night, so I disconnected everything, yet the data tracker is saying we used nearly 200GB while we were asleep.  

I was on the phone with Comcast for about 1.5 hours, 3 different people, until the last person created a data monitoring ticket for my modem, and they are supposed to contact me within 10 days.  Comcast field technicians have the ability to monitor modem activity and reach out to you too, but this is typically the result of an escalated or repeat service call.  During my phone call, my wife was simultaneously chatting with a different representative that told her the only solutions were to pay $30 for unlimited data, or upgrade to Comcast's new wifi device...

I recommend that each person experienceing this issue to call Comcast and insist they create a ticket to monitor your device and report back.  Also, I have activated the "activity tracker" in my Netgear router, and I am taking periodic snapshots on my laptop of the data use on the Xfinity site versus my router.  Additionally, I will turn off my modem tonight, and take snapshots of alleged data use before and after bedtime.  The longer you can keep your modem off, the better, since Xfinity's data tracker says it may not reflect activity that occurred within the last 24-hours.  

Best of luck to you all.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

At the end of July, I removed the XB6 Gateway and began to use my own modem (Arris SB8200).

My usage as of now is on par with what Comcast shows, but more importantly, it's closer to my pre-Covid numbers than during the 'untracked' periods of March 15->June.

With 10 days to go, I'm at 285GB.

In July, I received the 90% notice (over 900GB) halfway into July.

The only change was that school started this month, which technically should have increased my if the July usage was accurate, but it did not.

If the issue is on the XB6 (or whichever Comcast modem you are using), disconnecting the modem for a few days might not show any issue.

You might have to leave the modem plugged in, but make sure nothing is connected to it.

If the numbers are still going up in this scenario then it's either still in the Comcast system or with the modem itself (I still think it's their system).

I'm waiting to get my telephone wiring fixed up before moving over Sonic though.

When I returned the XB6 modem, I found that while Comcast removed the $5 charge for HDTV, they increased another fee by $5 to offset this.

Greed Inc. can't let go of their nickel and dime billing scheme.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I don't think this issue is exclusive to Comcast equipment, because my I have a Netgear cm1000 DOCSIS 3.1 modem.  I did, however, find a very interesting article regarding a bug in Comcast's data monitoring equipment that the author claims resulted in an investigation, and Comcast admitting the error was on their end.  This is said to have taken place just last year, so this does not seem to be a new issue.  The article states that the individuals that were affected received refunds.  Interestingly, this text box will not allow me to paste the link, but the article is on arstechnica.com, and I google search "comcast data usage spike."  I searched some more, and there are a lot of people over the past few years that have experienced similar data spike issues.

Since my post, I reconnected each device to my network one at a time, monitored data usage every few hours, and magically my data has only gone up by 4gb in the past since yesterday...  I have not been conctacted by Comcast regarding their investigation, but this is all very peculiar.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

High Data Usage

We are a family of four. In the past 2 years we have stayed below 500 gb per month and that was with a fifth person living with us. We just moved and started new service. Same usage patterns in this home. Xfinity is showing we are close to or over 1 TB a month now. I do not believe the numbers that the Xfinity usage meter is giving me. There is no logical explanation for the numbers showing up on the usage meter. The wifi is password protected. Can I submit a request to have this looked at?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@amir32 and anyone else interested,

The article you mentioned is what this thread was originally about.  The first page, is people complaining about a recent spike. On page 2 Comcast announces that they found and fixed that bug.  This thread replaced the old "terabyte usage" thread that had been going on for years.  Late last year it was very obvious that there was a very rapid increase in people complaining and even as a customer, I could tell that "something unusual" was going on.  So, they fixed that, many people were happy, eventually COVID happened, Comcast turned off the meter as part of their COVID response and the thread got very very quiet.  And then they turned it back on.

You're doing a great test, but I have to remind you of one thing: Comcast says their meter may not display data used within the last 24 hours.  So, reconnecting your devices and monitoring every few hours may give you confusing results. Also, only 4GB "since yesterday" might be accurate, or there may be more data yet to appear.  If you can. Try adding back the devices much more slowly.

Highlighted
New Poster

Data Usage

I am not able to get an answer from Comcast on why my data usage has skyrocketed the last 2 months. I received a notification that I used 940GB of data on August 15th, that’s over 60GB a day. We stream Netflix a few hours a day, and surf the internet. No gaming, no downloading any massive files, nothing different than the previous 6 months. Anyone else see their data usage go up lately?
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: High Data Usage

I have had the same issue the last 2 months. We used 400-600GB per month over the past year. All of a sudden July was 984GB and on August 15th Comcast said I used 940GB already. That’s over 60GB a day. We haven’t changed our internet usage at all. Something isn’t right.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@strega7 thank you for the information, I had no idea about the history of this thread.  At this point, I have all devices connected and our activity has been normal, yet, our data usage has only increased by 8gb total.  I checked my usage every three hours and it was reported as going up.  

I'm not sure if you saw my first post about contacting Comcast and having them setup a CM ticket to monitor my usage, but the data tracker was not turned off, rather the data cap was removed.  The tracker was still tracking from March through June.  In fact, before the upgrade to 1.2tb cap, we were tracked at going over the 1tb cap, but there were no notifications due to the COVID policy.  The tracker's color coded indicator tells me that the system was "reporting" data during the COVID months jsut as normal.

However, from August 18-20, before I had the CM ticket created, my data usage was reported at nearly 1100gb for those three days.  The evening before I called Comcast, I left the modem on and shut down the router to keep the pinging, but there was no activity from any device in the house.  Comcast registered almost 200gb of use.  Since I had the CM ticket created, my usage has started reporting properly.  At this point, I'm going to wait until Comcast calls me with the test results and go from there.  Thank you for the response, it was helpful.

@Janetbasas you should call in during normal business hours and ask to speak to the Customer Assurance team.  Tell them what's going on, mention this thread and that there are several people with issues; then ask them to create a CM ticket to investigate & track your usage.  Just a heads up, this is a very intrusive investigation as Comcast witl carefully look at all activity.  Also, if you happen to have a service call, Comcast technicians have several tools that are typically used for escalated calls.  One of them is a remote monitor that they can set up from their work laptops and it will track your modem activity for a set period of time (I think usually about 3 days.)  I believe this is a less intrusive tracker as it only looks at the up/down levels of your modem, general data use numbers, packet loss, etc.  They should reach out to you with the results.  I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you @amir32 !

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@amir32,

That's interesting.  Many people had zero data use reported during the COVID response months and only had that data back-filled after that expired at the end of June.  Thus, there wasn't much for many of us to talk about back then because we didn't even know who much Comcast thought we were using.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Unusually High Data Usage and No Help

Comcast just plain stinks.  We canned the TV part and now stream.  The 1.2TB limit is not enough when U cut the cord.  either that or as this thread says, Comcast is cheating people.  Oh well I have Centurylink coming on Monday.  4X the speed for $10 less and NO meter and overage charges.  See ya Comcast, you will lose customers when they have a choice.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@strega7 That's very weird.  I wonder if it depends on locality.  The internet traffic typically goes through the hybrid fiber/coax system (amps, nodes, etc.), and ultimately to the local head end that manages the integrity of the system.  I was able to check our data usage the whole throughout the COVID period because I wanted to see how distance learning and more streaming was going to affect our usage after the period expired.  My assumption, for us anyway, is the programs that monitor and report usage were left alone, and the billing department merely deactivated its auto-notice and auto-billing tools for overages.  This may be something I discuss with Comcast when they call.  Thanks again.

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm having the same issue. Last night at 7:45 pm I got am email saying I've used 75% of my data. Just three hours later got the notification that I've used 100%. I've never gone over 500gb in my years using Xfinity, so something is going on.
Highlighted
New Poster

Got same message a week ago about at 75% now it says I’m over the limit. I downloaded glasswire to monitor data usage over WiFi and I was averaging 2.8G a day while xfinity was saying 100G. We averaged 550-650G a month since March. Saw July spiked to 850G and August so far is 1.2T and counting. Called and was told to use a different modem to see if that is causing issue. Told them if I am getting a different modem, I’m switching provider. This is super frustrating as this seems to be a bigger Xfinity issue.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Bradyboy12, Do you have glasswire installed on every device on your network?  I have a feeling you are missing some.  2.8GB/day doesn't even account for your data usage before the spike.

Highlighted
New Poster

@strega7 didn’t know glasswire had to be installed on all devices? Thought it monitored all track all usage on WiFi network? If that is the case than 2.8g is only for my work laptop. Also notice my WiFi connection is bad the past two days, looks like might be modem router going bad. Just ordered a new one. Do you know if that could cause the unusual spike in data usage? I read on other forums a faulty modem router could cause that. I saw lots of critical pings when I looked at logged activities on the modem. Thanks.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Bradyboy12 The glasswire webpages aren't very clear on this, but I found a thread in their support forum that said it could only see data use on the device it is installed on.  (This didn't surprise me as general packet sniffing isn't that easy, and it's hard to take that packet-only data and turn into nice graphs of usage by application like glasswire does.)

I have seen several cases over the last few years where someone swapped a modem and their huge data use went away!  Maybe a flaky modem causes lots of retransmitted packets and the meter doesn't know or doesn't care about original packets versus retransmitted packets?  (Totally guessing on the mechanism, but like I said, several people have posted that swapping modems fixed extreme data usage.)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@strega7 

As reported, I swapped my XB6 out for my own modem and the data usage is on par with what my router is tracking.

Given that the problem seems like it was with the XB6 that I rented, I would argue that Comcast should own the issue and not blame the customers.

Since they can access the XB6, they should be able to see the data usage and recognize when something isn't right.

Especially when the device before the modem (customer's router) shows a different usage rate than their modem or their system.

Pretty sure that they have ML to mine our TV viewing patterns.

Shouldn't be too hard to put something that sends up an alert when our daily usage is higher than normal for several days in a row.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We also got the notification we were at 75% data usage, exactly as I predicted when I started seeing the ridiculous data usage earlier in the month.

I spoke to a rep back on the 13th who I chewed out and gave an ultimatum of legal action if this wasn't fixed at the end of the month. She gave me her name and operator ID and she had the nerve to lie and say our data usage would be reset to 0 on the 15th. That did not happen and like a ton of other people on the tread, we'll go over in just a few days.

So back on the line with them yet again. The rep was absolutely USELESS. He either played dumb or is literally stupid. Of course I got the immediate push of moving to unlimited, then he said well you do have 1.2TB's of data (this isn't new information,) and then goes on to say if we go over, we have to pay. I'm keep asking if he's even listening to anything I'm saying. So I finally get a manager. It might as well have been the same person, zero help and didn't care at all. Even said I could cancel the service if I don't like it.

So headed ups Xfinity/Comcast! Lawyer is on the way and so is the Better Business Bureau. If everyone files a complaint, it will get attention

Highlighted
New Poster

I too have gone from an average of 400-500gb per month of data usage to over 1250gb this month! To add insult to injury, I still have six days left for the month. Our household data usage has not changed at all in anyway in the last several years. Now out of the blue we, according to Xfinity, tripled our data usage in the month of August!? I've gone back and forth with phone/online representatives and have gotten nowhere.  Something is up, this is not right.  If comcast is actualy reading this.... here's my ticket number that hasn't been addressed yet...

level 2 security
ticket number
ih111840085

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Cannot state how important it is everybody just go online to the BBB and put in complaint. I have gotten 4 messages from Security Assurance Team to try and resolve. Of course they call when I’m not home and will not call my cell that I have requested them to do. This issue needs more light on it. I ask everyone to put in that complaint. It’s not hard. It took less than 10 minutes.
Highlighted
New Poster

Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData HarvestinG

First off I recieved my first data overage from Xfinity today and I think it is total garbage.  First I hear about a data cap is in the context of the great favor Xfinity has done us all by increasing our caps to 1.2 tb.   Caps what caps?  Then the pull the carpet out from under neath us revealing that any house with a gaming system will shatter 1.2 tb a month and now want me to pay an extra $40.  I have 3 teen boys all stuck home doing xoom meetings all day.   My husband and I both work from home as well.  Talk about price gauging??? 

Wait it gets better.....our signal drops out randomly and our log says this  Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData Harvesting......what the he ll is that? I thought cell phone companies were the biggest criminals besides the Trump administration but Xfinity you are proving me wrong.  Where the heck did this data cap come from, are they throtteling us too, and what Data is being harvested without my permission and by whom? This has FCC complaint written all over it.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData HarvestinG

Thank you for posting the link. I again will say this only gets fixed by running it up the flagpole.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData HarvestinG

Thanks @acutsing, I filed a complaint with the BBB the other day and it did not take long at all.  Just waiting for the response.    

Since our alleged use of over 1000gb through 3 days, I've taken screen shots of the usage tracker periodically.  Since my call to Comcast and demand for a CM ticket, my usage has tracked way down.  For instance, over the course of 48 hours, my use was tracked at 40gb, which sounds much closer to our historical use.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I got this when I tried to login to the data harvesting thread??? Hmmmm
5913EFF4-38D6-4EA0-B003-37A50BF9BC0B.png
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same problem. No change in usage over the last few months, then all of a sudden 75% and 90% warnings and now we’ve supposedly used over 400GBs in two days. Last month was nearly triple our normal usage.
Highlighted
New Poster

Internet data spike

I signed up Xfinity internet service since Feb. 2020. From my account’s record, my used data was 448GB in March, 770GB in Apr. 1024Gb in May, 949GB in June, 1031GB in July, and 1229GB in Aug.

Start from the end of Aug., I started to monitor the data used. I used 63GB during the daytime on Sep. 1st. Before I went to sleep, I unplugged all the Wi-fi devices in my house. When I wake up in the morning on Sep. 2nd. The data usage was 79GB.

During these days, 2 of my children took online classes via Zoom from 8:30 to 4:30. We only checked emails for our works. We did not watch Youtube, no video game, no Netflix. I also reset my username and password. But it still could not slow the data usage.

I called CSA at 877-807-6581 for 3x times on Sep. 2nd. My calls kept transferring to the technical department and back to the CSA again and again. In the end, it was around 9:30 pm. The Tech. Department told me that CSA was closed at 8:00 pm. please called back during the business hour between 8:00 am – 8:00 pm.

My data usage was unreasonable. And Xfinity's meter is un-trustable.  I am forcing to go to an unlimited plan and lower speed data plan I had before. Then I will switch to another ISP.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@kaijulvl5 you can try calling 844-963-0185 for Comcast's outsourced tier 1 customer assurance team.  Ask them to escalate it and do not accept their unsupported reason for the "data usage spike."  They will create an escalated ticket starting with "IH," then some digits.  Tier 3 is where you actually get a U.S. representative.  The problem is, if you miss Tier 3's call, they leave you the number to Tier 1, and it starts all over again.  Comcast's customer service is a joke.  They make it unecessarily difficult to get answers.  Best of luck to you.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I received 2 calls from 2 different male callers. Was not able to make out names or ext numbers. Then I received an email on 8/26 at 6:39pm from a woman in Chicago stating she had tried repeatedly to contact me. Also under the same email thread was a forwarded email from the 24th saying that I need to contact her by the 26th that never came to my inbox. I have emailed and left 4 vm messages for her and no response. So Comcast customer service doesn’t send an email until after your deadline to tell you your deadline is up? This might be the worst company in the world.
Highlighted
New Poster

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

We have been having really high data usage for few months now. We are hitting 1.2 terabytes of data. 

I have watched all my devices.  

Just watching Netflix for an hour shoots up usage by few Gigs. Some days it shoots up by 50G.

50G  is actually equivalent of watching 50 hours HD streaming continuously. 

I called comcast support. Replaced modem as per their suggestion. 

Next comcast guy came in today, called it's signal issue. Removed some of internal lines. 

He said there was filter put for our house that was creating the issue. He removed the filter and said all is fixed. 

The issue still keeps happening.  It's become a nightmare. We can't even watch a movie now without worrying how much the usage jumps. 

Can anyone help ? 

Thank you in advance. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

@pat49, the Netflix help page says "up to 3GB per hour" for HD (up to 7GB for UHD).  Also, if you use a streaming device such as a Roku, make sure to exit the streaming service – don’t just turn off the TV because many devices will keep on streaming. 

It's interesting that the tech is saying signal issues are causing your problem.  I've been wondering if retransmitted packets count and it sounds like they do.  Please let us know if removing the filter helps!

Did the tech mention what the (removed) filter was for?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@pat49 if you look at my post just above yours, you can try calling the tier 1 support to open an escalated ticket.  Although a bad or unnecessary filter can cause signal issues, this generally does not impact data usage.  Signal levels usually only determine whether the modem can connect.  Rare instances such as water in the cable lines, bad cables or equipment can contribute to signal levels and connection and internet speed, which technically could impact data usage by decreasing the amount of data used since the connection would be slow or intermittent, but this not impact data usage by increasing usage.  

@strega7 Comcast uses several types of filters, but none should impact data usage.  Back in the day, filters were used to block analog cable.  However, since the digital migration years ago, most of these should be gone.  The more recent types of filters that I am aware of generally reduce downstream signal, and are usually used when a customer has a high downstream, which can also knock a modem offline.  Other filters will increase the upstream levels with minimal impact to dowstream.  But these should not have any bearing on data usage.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have xfinity at 200meg and Uverse at 50meg. Uverse I have is unlimited but slower and less responsive than my xfinity. I have a dual WAN router and keep Xfinity as primay and failover to Uverse.

So last month I was at a terabyte by Aug 15 on Xfinity. I unplugged my xfinity and used my backup Uverse for ~2 weeks. I made changes to my router to do policy based routing vs primary and backup and put all of my son's devices to route through uverse all of the time and the rest of the IPs through xfinity. So far this month I am at 47g of usage. 

When you have kids with so many devices, they EAT data like pirahna. Xbox, PC, and phone are eating data like mad.

A lot of routers will keep a log of data usage per IP. I used these logs to find my data hogs and muzzeled them lol

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Sudden increase in data usage

Same mine we dont even at home xfinity shows higher usage. I think in this pandemic time instead of the sport people they wanna have more money w illegal way. We should take this to the government agency attention. Because of also some families start online education xfinity comcaat doesnt haa to be parazit to make them charge extra with illegal fake usage report
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I agree. I have been logging data per MAC and Ip addresses thru my router which is the same router I had with uverse. The only thing that has changed in my house is the service provider. My asus is set as an access point and has Ben tracking usage for over 2 years. No spike in usage at all until the month I connected to Comcast. May of 2020 456 gb usage with ATT. June of 2020 2680 Gb with Comcast. Something isn’t right. Period.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@acutsing, did I read your post correctly?  Your own ASUS router says you used 2680GB?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

You'd be better served by filing a complaint with the FCC. Seems to be the only thing that gets their attention. Pretty simple process actually. This process bypasses all the typical "stonewalling" agents and goes directly to Comcast corporate.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Data usage spike is deffinately not exclusive to Comcast supplied gateways. I have my own euipment and my data usage has gone from an average of around 23 GB a day to around 38 GB a day in just this past month with no changes in usage on our end. I recently began unplugging xfinity flex box and turning off my gateway at night to see if this helps. If nothing changes by these actions I will file an FCC complaint at the end of the month. Seems to be the only thing that gets their attention!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Based on well known consumer feedback combined with our own experiences, most of us believe the way Comcast operates is morally reprehensible. Sadly, it is our own government which allows it to happen seemingly with no end in sight.

My situation is the same as thousands if not millions of others. My monthly data usage floated around 550 GB per month for as long I can recall checking it. Every now and then there was a small bump up, but it was always for known reasons such as uploading scores of photos to the cloud or other such one off reasons. Then suddenly and out of the blue, an unexplained spike to 942 GB "used" in August and already approaching 300 GB "used" in only the first week of September. Roughly 2X my usage history with, as many of us note, no substantive change in household usage habits. As with most of you here, I suspect that Comcast knows about this widespread issue and they are choosing to let it ride as long as they can for maximum profit. Once somehow forced to admit it's an issue and correct it, they'll call it, "an issue impacting a very small number of customers."

The most frustrating thing is that we all know the truth about our usage, yet most of us have no recourse. With little or no competition permitted, Comcast has a license to print money by saying we've used grossly more data than we've actually used and then charging an overuse fee. All while they say it's for "fairness" even when they themselves have admitted that it has nothing to do with available bandwidth.

Since this despicable behavior has been allowed to go on unchecked for so long, I've already lost hope that consumers in the US will get any relief from the regional cable monopolies.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No, that’s what Comcast said I used.
Highlighted
New Poster

The same thing is going on with me! I have the xFi advanced security and there’s devices constantly connecting to my WiFi that I don’t know and ps4 that I thought was already <br>assigned but said it just connected for the first time and it has a different host and End IP address?? I’ve changed my password reconnected my devices one by one and here we go again!! My Airvana for sprint phone signal on my WiFi devices details said it’s a pc/Laptop windows 10 and uses high internet but it’s not a computer it a GPS signal booster!! I’ve unplugged chromecast and it was still showing using internet the following under today’s usage? It was unplugged but already used 5% of the internet Today? I keep getting noticed from Comcast saying I’m 90% used on my allowance and I will be charged overage fees but I do not know who is connecting to my WiFi. I called about it and they could help me said it’s fine on there end! Plus my bill is very expensive and need to change companies again! Frustrating!! To pay top dollar and have problems like this. I have unplugged most of devices because I don’t know who is using all the internet.