Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: WiFi usage

Same problem here. An hd movie will eat 6 GB. an hour, 4K will eat even more. Check the settings and lower picture quality from auto, or 1080 to something lower like 480 or 360.        With youtubetv  When watching a program,  press the down arrow 2 times (it will highlight networks) then the left arrow 3 times,(highlight3 vertical dots) then down again 1 time, and right 1 time change you picture quality there.  NOTE: changing 1 station will set all stations to the same setting.   Roku tvs when you change the settings for picture quality, it Will revert to the factory default!!!!!!

Hope this helps somebody.   We were 588 GB over for the the 1st month.   Shootin for under this month.............

Highlighted
New Poster

More data for faster tier internet?

Hello, 

I have loved Xfinity internet and tv service since I had signed up for it a few years ago and haven't had any issues and I am still loving the service since it is the fastest in my area. Also have been trying out Xfinity Mobile and so far no issues other than having to "pause" the new phone number and un-pause it to get it to accept calls/test

Anyway 

I had recently upgraded to a way faster teir Xfinity internet plan of 600Mbps (and upgraded my tv package) and while that speed is amazing I was kinda bummed to see that I am still stuck with a 1tb of data that I had on my 200Mbps 😕 . While I never went over the 1tb on my old plan, the first month I kinda did on this plan lol... 

One thing I liked with my old ISP was if you bundled Internet and TV you could get unlimited data, but their fastest plan was 75mbps...  I do understand if this might not be possible for Xfinity to do, and I know you can buy unlimited data for something like ($30-50?) a month but that falls off my budget, and you also get 2 courtesy months, but are you able to earn those back if you use them? (maybe you can, just dont see anything on the page). 

However I do think that each teir should come with more data allowance in reality if I am looking at a 600mbps plan I am most likely going to use it. and really 1tb is going to go fast for some these days. Video games are becoming larger in file size along with their updates, some pushing 150gb for one game, 4k downloads can be way larger than just HD. Next thing you know you could be done with 1tb of data within a day or two... 

If I could suggest something I would say a plan of 600Mbps should get 2tb and 1000Mbps should get at least 3tb of data and maybe all plans if you bundle with tv you get an aditional 1-2tb of data and maybe the same if you bundle a phone plan. 

Maybe what I am saying is I don't see 1tb holding up like it use to with how large downloads are becoming, more shared devices on a network, and how fast speeds are getting. 

Just my thoughts.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: More data for faster tier internet?

I still have not gotten their accidental mistake refunded yet. it still shows my Account as using 1Tb for the Month of November 2019 and 1 out of 2 Courtesy months used and not yet refunded.

Xfinity Mistake 2019 

Edit: NOT SOLVED

Highlighted
New Poster

Data usage high WHY?

I have had xfinity for over 10yrs. I've never come close to reaching a TB. I was using 500-600GB and that's just this year. My husband and I live alone our kids stop by every so often to visit and we stream Netflix (1080) and all other programming at (750). Such as Prime, or You tube TV. We don't game or really download very much except for updates for our IOS equipment. I watch 1 TV a day with the grand baby when she comes to visit. My router does show there is 7 things online (I watch, I phone, Roku main tv and Roku bedroom TV, my husbands I watch and I phone) however the only one using data is the Main TV. I've called several times and nibidy can explain it to me other than I need to pay $50 more a month fir unlimited? I'm so confused? We have friends that have xfinity that their kids game all night, never shut off the TV and they are always on their phones and watching YouTube videos. The difference between our friends and us is they rent xfinitys modem and we don't. We used to, but after having several technicians out to figure out why Netflix kept dropping the signal I decided to buy my own modem. As soon as I did this I started using triple the amount of internet WHY? No one at xfinity can explain to me why? I called last Thursday and was transferred several times, tried to sell me tv and hike phone and then tried to sell me unlimited data. WTH? I kept saying if they could explain to me why I'm using that much and I felt it was needed I'd upgrade, but I couldn't understand why all the sudden it's trippled. She couldn't explain it, put me on hold and then hung up. It was 48 minutes of my life wasted. And this is the 4th time I've called. I just need to figure out where and how am I using this much data. We went to Disneyland with their grand  kids in December for a week. I unplugged the modem and I still used data while it was unplugged. I was told by xfinity that I needed to change my line and password. They changed the line and I changed the pass word and I still went over. Ugh!! Today we watched the super bowl. We did have 3 TVs streaming the super bowl and I calculated the internet we used (based on xfinitys website) that we used 50gb from 3:30pm to 8:30. How? We did not game, use our phones, or shop online. We just had 3 TVs streaming and none of them were streaming in 4K. I've contacted the modem company and the router company and they can't figure out how xfinitys is calculated their data use. I'm super bothered by this. I don't have time to babysit xfinity. 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data usage high WHY?

Streaming like Netflix and Amazon Prime, etc have an effect on data usage.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

3 TVs, running for 5 hours and consuming 50gb (I'm assuming you mean gigaBYTEs) is about 3.3GB/hour/stream which is within the ranges I see quoted for HD streaming.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I solved my high data usage problem that started in September (like many other people) by getting a new router. I don’t know why this solves the problem but my usage went from 1350 back down to 650GB where it usually was before the September surge started.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Did you change your router only, and not the modem or are you using a modem+router combination?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@haavar I am using the Xfinity gateway which is a router and modem combo. I had their newest one but went ahead and swapped it out anyway to see if it would make any difference. It cut the data usage in half. Now it’s back to 650 where it was before the September surge. Interestingly I did just get a notice that someone logged into my account at 1 am this morning. Not sure how they got in but I’m changing all the passwords etc again.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Overcharges of 1tb

Swap out your Xfinity router/modem with a new one. That solved my crazy, makes no sense, data spike problem that started in September. Went over the limit in Oct, Nov, Dec. As soon as I switched it out my daily usage went from 40-50 back down to around 20 where it usually is. And this is in a house with 2 xboxs, 3 tvs, multiple personal computers, gaming computer, Netflix and Amazon streaming most nights. Goes up a bit on weekends or holidays when teens are on more often but not much. If it's going up and up when you're not even using it then get a new router/modem. I went into the Xfi app and paused every single device.....except the gateway (router/modem) itself....and I was still gobbling up data.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

@mollinmark That's an interesting perspective. I don't think its accurate though. My new data surge usage of 1350GB (double what it says i normally use) vanished after I swapped out my year-old Xfinity modem for a new one. Back down to the 650GB range where I have always been for years.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: WiFi usage

Same thing for us as well... been going on for over a year now. The whole reason we originally got xfinity was to avoid going over data on our Verizon bill. I really do not see the point personally in keeping the WiFi considering now we have unlimited data on our Verizon. It is more the price of it all... ridiculous. Considering I read they use Verizon towers. I feel a bit cheated all the way around. Quite offended actually. Even read the privacy information on how they store our data information. That was interesting to find out, as I was looking for answers to where my data could be going.
Highlighted
New Poster

Fraudulent Data Overage

I had ATT for years, never went over 600gb. Started out w/xfinity with the same usage.. then randomly in November, we shot up over a TB and have consistently gone over since. It's now Feb 7th and Xfinity says we have used over 400GB in SEVEN DAYS!!  I have apps that track data usage on my laptops, and they're barely 1gb/day. We do have Netflix, but our usage hasn't changed.

I talked to the "data usage escalation" department in December, and they were no help. Just tried to call again, and was on hold for 30 minutes. SO many threads of people with the same issue. Something about this stinks! The only other thing I did around the time of the increase was purchase the pod signal extender 3 pack, but I've been assured that should have no effect. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Extremely High Internet Data Usage

As of January my data usage spiked to over 1TB. 

I never was one to track in the past, but looking at the past 6 months we averaged ~600 GB/month (according to Xfinity's tracking log). It is just my wife and I at the house and we have 10 devices connected - 2x Smart TVs, 2x Laptops, 3x Cell Phones, Nest, Ring and an iPad. 

We use our own ASUS Router and personal Modem. As of 1/31 I turned on the data tracking feature and can track data per device and even down to usage of each app on each device. Since I started tracking, I show that after 9 days I have used 43GB vs Xfinity data usage showing I've used 165GB. 

Ive called and spoke with the "experts" in customer service who told me to just continue tracking but gave no further gameplan or solution. They also confimred that  they cannot see what is consuming the majority of data but only that I've used the 165GB. How can they back up any of their data usage claims if they cannot even supply data to compare against mine?

Has anyone else experienced this and if so have you found a solution? I already had to use 1 free overage month and do not want to pay for data I know I am not using. 

At the rate they are currently saying I am using data I fear I will always be above the 1TB threshold on their books. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Extremely High Internet Data Usage

My data usage shot up from 165GB to 300GB in ONE DAY! And I was barely even home over those 24 hours!

Also, I know the meter is not accurate. In one instance, near end of month with one day left, I had almost 200GB free. So I downloaded 150GB in game files. 24 hours later it only showed I used 20GB of data. It worked to my advantage that time, but point being, I know it's not accurate by a long shot.

I don't have any way to accurately track every byte, but I do closely monitor large file downloads. All computers are set to 720p streaming, except living room which is 1080p. But even then it's only a few hours a day at most they get used.

If they're going to charge for data overage then there needs to be an accurate up to minute (heck, even up to the hour) certified meter like with gas or electric companies. Imagine if you went to the gas station and went to put $20 in your car's gas tank, you stop the pump at $20 but it keeps going up for another minute or so for another $5-$10 added on. That's what Xfinity data control is like.

I don't know what I can and can't do any more. Only thing they'll tell me in customer service is I have the option to pay $50 more a month for unlimited internet... That's no a solution to the problem.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The data meter is not accurate.  On January 31 my data meter read 658 gb and on the monring of February 1, 2020 it read 1339 GB and was in red. Not knowing how this could be, I called Comcast and was told that my data meter on their end read 658 and I was not over. I also did not receive an email stating I was over the 1 tb. I asked how can I as a customer truly believe or rely on the data meter and was told were working on it. 

My data meter still reads 1339 gb and not has been fixed. 

I asked to have this documented in my account but I doubt it will be.  Also you cannot screen shot the data meter from a phone using the app. Interesting, so it can't be documented. 

I am writing this to let every one know as I feel the data meter cannot be trusted. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Exceeded Data Usage

This is the third month xfinity claims I have exceeded the limit for data use. It is impossible.!!! I have a two-person home. I know families of 4+ and they have not gone over once. I used the data usage calculator and according to that if I surfed the web, used social media, gamed online, streamed music, streamed HD video and received 100 emails EVERY DAY FOR 8 HOURS I’d only use 500gb! I can assure you all those things are not simultaneously happening everyday at my home. They need to fix this. Bad enough they squeeze you for all sorts of ridiculous fees but this is insane. .
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

What is the status of my ticket regarding data overages, a ticket that I opened in late December and have heard nothing since? Xfinity Case #IH72767009.

There is no way in October and December that we went anywhere near 1TB, let alone exceeded it. While customer service gave me daily usage, I've requested hourly usage.

My next step is to go to the New Mexico Attorney General's office.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Frankokee

Try the meter on the website using a computer – at least then you'll be able to screen capture it.  I'd be curious as to whether that meter matches the app or the internal number that Comcast said they have.  (If that meter matches their internal meter, then it makes sense that you wouldn't get an email – ie: it's just a bug in an app and the app isn't what sends the email.)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Exceeded Data Usage

Caedmom,

The calculator is really just a simple guestimater that totals up "typical" usage rates for certain specific things.  But there's a lot of things it doesn't ask about like torrents, on-line drives or backups, and there's a lot of weird stuff like a program stuck in a loop of downloading the same update or malware.  I don't know what you have on your network, but lots of devices can tell you about their own data usage so that might be a place to start.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Just an update on my issue. I swapped out my modem, and it seems like the data usage rate dropped right away. It's hard to say for sure, since they are only displaying monthly usage and the updates are delayed, but the first couple of days looks very promising. 

Definitely looks like something is wrong with Comcasts metering. I had to switch our an otherwise perfectly good modem.  Just speculating here, but it could be a simple as someone spoofing my modem's ethernet address, and that's why it gets fixed when I swap the modem. If that's the case, who knows when they are going to guess my new address...

I think this is really bad customer service. First of all, this has to be a known issue for Comcast, but they are not providing support for customers. Secondly, they keep billing with an obviously flawed metering system. That's fraudulent, when the customer has little to no recourse.

I use my own modem, and it's only a modem, not a combined router and modem. Having to buy. a new modem to [possibly temporary] fix their gliches does not make me a very happy customer.

Highlighted
Contributor

I've been looking at this seriously since June last year when I had a problem with unexpected traffic bringing me to the brink of overage.

I gotta tell ya.  Never has there been a more wretched hive of swine and villainy as the comcast network. I have over six months of log files, packet traces, usual suspects, known exploit attempts, other really weird TCP/UDP/ICMP traffic with frags, runts, sync requests and packets with bogus flags right down there in the TCP/IP spec mud (invalid packets/crafted packets). Also hostile local subnet traffic from my neighbors virus encrusted machines. In other words, typical internet traffic.

I have extensively banged on my cable modem from remote servers with intrusion software. Flipped settings. Enabled for capture. Redirected for dynamic firewall rules to capture, then analyze. Features on the modem enabled/disabled. There’s only one conclusion.

The firewall on my modem will mask traffic from external sources, and not tell me anything if the remote source is half way clever about it. Its counter will also not report any traffic for intrusion attempts that are outside of what it can report in the log files (full and valid TCP/IP/ICMP packets). Frags/sync/modified runt for example aren’t reported as data. I’d consider the counter on my customer owned netgear router helpful, but not particularly useful.

Two ways to solve it. Pass all traffic from the internet to an internal actual firewall appliance (separate box/laptop/PC), then dynamically block it with adaptive rule sets, or plan B. Plan B is using the modem firewall and it’s “features” such as portscan blocking, but enable port forwarding to an internal firewall low numbered port on a firewall appliance (separate box/laptop/PC) that will dynamically blackhole the external request and hang the offending side script that is port scanning you or otherwise trying an intrusion. When you analyze the traffic, you’ll notice the remote side hangs, their script moves on, and doesn’t target you again for as many as 3 days typically, but they always pop up again.  Such is the weberverse.

With traffic shaping on my side internally, I can get down to under 250G typically with no changes in my usage and I stream stuff heavily. With Xfinity gear, running their firmware, I’m sorry. You’re on your own. I’m not looking at it. I’ve posed suggestions in the past about settings you can look at and how to achieve an internal firewall appliance.

Your problem or theirs? I conclude it’s yours since its your network you are stuck with the bills. Welcome to IT and network administration.

Highlighted
New Poster

We got the same situation since this year. We used to watch Netflix so we know how much the data we used. However since this year, we stop to use Netflix and our data usage was even higher. We checked with Comcast's support and they only want to push you to buy their new unlimited data plan with 300mb. We are going to BBB as they are not willing to help us to investigate this issue but just trying to sale you more.

Highlighted
New Poster

High data usage - Comcast ignoring the megathread?

Posting a new question because the last reply from Comcast in the megathread says the issue is being investigated as of October 2, 2019 and zero updates.  What's the update?  My bandwidth habits haven't changed over the last several months, but Comcast reports I've gone from less than 200GB a month to 1.1TB in January and now 0.8TB half-way through February.  I stream HD content 1-2 hours a day, music for maybe an hour a day and beyond that it's just some web browsing.  I recognize all devices that use my wifi; none of my TVs or devices are streaming nonstop mistakenly; my computer doesn't have a virus (and isn't turned on enough to be the cause, anyway).  And calling Comcast is useless because they believe they're accurate.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The meter on the internet says 1024 gb and I still have my 2 courtsey months. This is why no one can trust the data meter from Comcast if they are over or under.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: High data usage - Comcast ignoring the megathread?

types24,

There are updates from 10/9 and 12/4 a little later in the thread, here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/m-p/3268732/hig...

Highlighted
New Poster

Data usage increase

My data usage suddenly shot up in December - when we were gone for 10 days.  I have since gained a full time job, and my husband has a full time job.  No teenagers in the house.  one child that does not have a tablet or use a computer or phone.  Why has my data usage suddenly shot up - 400 GBs?  Why do I no longer get notifications that I have used x% of my data?  Why am I suddenly using more data when noone is home 40+ hours a week?  When calling comcast I had a useless conversation with someone in Indonesia or India.  They could not explain my data usage to me.  We do not game or stream HD in our house.  We only have two people using internet.  How are we exceeding 1024GB when 'the majority of households use far less?" and we can stream 600 hours of tv according to Comcast?  I would like a detailed, daily explanation of my usage.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread - A FIX FOR HIGH DATA

We were also experiencing high data usage and went over the 1024 twice.  This year we began using a Fire Stick from Amazon in the kitchen TV.  THAT was the culprit!  We learned, from our son, that when you turn off the TV, you MUST FIRST go to the Home page, and then turn it off.  Otherwise, the TV is in 'streaming" mode all day.  I began the experiment this month, February 2020, and thru today, 2/20, we are at 223 GB.  Well below the 1024 GB.  If you have any streaming sticks in use on your televisions, try this for a while and see if it helps.  We certainly hope that is what our problem was, and these crazy overage amounts cease!!!  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread - A FIX FOR HIGH DATA

Absolutely!  Most streaming devices such as Rokus have no idea whether the TV is on or off.  And many of the services default to running in "binge mode" such that as soon as one episode ends, they automatically start playing the next.  Unless you know your device is different, you should stop the streaming before turning off the TV.

Highlighted
Contributor

You'd think if all discussions were merged into a "Megathread" that Comcast might determine this to be A PROBLEM.

I live by myself, I do not play Fortnight, I do not use TOR servers, I download music instrument files sporadically yet, I still, go over your cap every month. I went away for two weeks and still the metering left me just shy of exceeding the cap.

The bottom line is that Comcast is penalizing you for streaming. I've caught flashes of threads that say the way they meter your usage is unfair. Wanna use AppleTV, Roku, Youtube TV, it's going to cost you. The way they meter if you watch a 4-6 GB 4K movie from a streamer does not reflect the actual data size of the show. I am not an expert... I just no there's something rotten in Philidelphia. How about one of you "Comncast Care" "professionals" tell us exactly how you're metering streaming content.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm on track to QUADRUPLE my data usage this month.  Normal month is in the 250G range, suddenly on pace to go well over 1000G this month.  We did add a Roku tv at Christmas, but for January it only jumped into the low 300's.....now suddenly I'm looking at 1100-1200G.  And the irony is that half the time the modem doesn't even work and refuses connections.   

Is it possible to see usage by device?   The bar chart showing me quadrupling my usuage isn't of any use other than making me mad.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Markeydusod,

Are you sure the 4K movie you watched was only 4-6GB?  As I google around for numbers on 4K data rates, I find numbers like 7GB/hour, 11GB/hour, 20GB/hour, and in one case even 33GB/hour.  A lot depends both on which streaming service you use, your settings there, and the codecs available on whatever device(s) you are using to view the streams (ie: the same movie can take much more data if the codec in the receiving device is older.)  I must admit that I do no 4K streaming myself – these are just numbers I found in the internet.

Highlighted
New Poster

We were first contact in Nov regarding high data usage, but never went over and I shrugged it off. But after we got multiple notifications for subsequent months, I decided to finally look into this issue and call comcast. Looking into our usage:

This was taken on the morning of 2/21 at 937 GB. We got a notification in the morning of 2/23 that we have gone over 1024 GB. 

I have been on the phone with Comcast on 2/21 and 2/23 regarding this issue and they keep trying to deflect blame on anything besides themselves. We have nothing changed in devices or streaming habits to account for the spike in November and the continual high data usage. 

I fail to see how we're using ~35-50 GB/day, when I am the most egregious data user in our home and my computer data usage shows ~260 GB for the whole month of Feb. My wife is the only other user and she would use, at most, 85-90% of my usage, which is why prior to Nov 2019 we were always around 550 GB. We've been with Comcast at this location for 2.5years and before 3+ years at our previous home and NEVER had data cap issues. Our usage habits didn't all of a sudden change in November 2019, and reading through this thread has shown that there must be an error on Comcast's end. 

All of my calls to Comcast have led their "service reps" to reiterate that they will investigate and credit me. I have repeatedly told them I do not care about the credit or the "courtesy 2-month overage waiver" because our normal usage will never reach those amounts to warrant an overage credit, I want them to look into and fix their data usage meter and figure out the issue that is causing these continual high data uses. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Data Usage question/Issues?

Hi, 

I have a  Performance Plus Internet plan with a 1TB limit per month. I got a mail from comcast saying that I have used 90% of my internet for Feb, this looks wrong to me as the max I have used over the last 2 years is around 350GB. Can comcast help me at all to get a better sense of my individual account. For instance when I checked the data usage yesterday night and today morning its decreased by 17Gb. I have looked at the router connections and nothing looks out of place. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Data Usage question/Issues?

I am also curious if someone else has noticed any issues this month? The previous post's related to this issue seem to be in October 2019 and looks like on Comcast's end. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Unexplained high data usage

This is now twice in the past 5 months (first time in September 2019) that our Data usage unexplicably spikes.  No one at Comcast or their "customer security assurances" team can explain where the usage is coming from.  The Xfi app shows that my "profile" was "active" for 6 1/2 hours today when I hadn't even been awake for 3 hours.  It shows activity from Midnight to 5am when I was sleeping.  I dig in further and looked at every single device in our account (both active and not active) and NONE of them show any activity during that 5 hour time frame when our household was sleeping.  So unless the dog was able to get out of his locked crate and got online on some secret device that we doesn't show up but still gains access to our wifi... this seems like a ploy to charge customers for the overage use on data.  l am confused and frustrated that Xfinity has ZERO answers.  I have already changed my password recently and they actually told me to use a 3rd party appt to measure the data use.  Wow.  Is anyone else having any issues??

Highlighted
New Poster

@ComcastTeds 

Could you please look at my issue I posted above? Or have your staff contact me regarding it. I have not received an answer in days. 

Thank you

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Anonymous2222 wrote:

We were first contact in Nov regarding high data usage, but never went over and I shrugged it off. But after we got multiple notifications for subsequent months, I decided to finally look into this issue and call comcast. Looking into our usage:

This was taken on the morning of 2/21 at 937 GB. We got a notification in the morning of 2/23 that we have gone over 1024 GB. 

I have been on the phone with Comcast on 2/21 and 2/23 regarding this issue and they keep trying to deflect blame on anything besides themselves. We have nothing changed in devices or streaming habits to account for the spike in November and the continual high data usage. 

I fail to see how we're using ~35-50 GB/day, when I am the most egregious data user in our home and my computer data usage shows ~260 GB for the whole month of Feb. My wife is the only other user and she would use, at most, 85-90% of my usage, which is why prior to Nov 2019 we were always around 550 GB. We've been with Comcast at this location for 2.5years and before 3+ years at our previous home and NEVER had data cap issues. Our usage habits didn't all of a sudden change in November 2019, and reading through this thread has shown that there must be an error on Comcast's end. 

All of my calls to Comcast have led their "service reps" to reiterate that they will investigate and credit me. I have repeatedly told them I do not care about the credit or the "courtesy 2-month overage waiver" because our normal usage will never reach those amounts to warrant an overage credit, I want them to look into and fix their data usage meter and figure out the issue that is causing these continual high data uses. 

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above.

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience. I have a ticket number for this issue that I will send over via PM (Private Message) 

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it is part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

Comcast data metering accuracy reports at the link below:
https://www.netforecast.com/comcast-internet-usage-accuracy-reports/

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Data backups (including cloud backups)
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

@ComcastTeds  Can you please take a look at my issue as well. It is very similar to what @Anonymous2222 is observing. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.09.22 PM.png

As you can see the maximum I have used in the last 6 months is 338GB. And this month even without any changes I am close to running out. The last 2 nights the data usage went down by 17GB each night, which does not seem right. I have looked at my router and verified all the connections. This seems to be an issue on your end and is a very big inconvenience. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Here is the screehshot. @ComcastTeds Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.09.22 PM.png

Highlighted
New Poster

Highlighted
New Poster

For some reason the image I upload is not visible. Here is the data copied from the data usage page from your website @ComcastTeds 

Month Total Monthly Usage Total Monthly Overage
August
08/01/2019 - 08/31/2019
115 GB 0 GB
September
09/01/2019 - 09/30/2019
135 GB 0 GB
October
10/01/2019 - 10/31/2019
216 GB 0 GB
November
11/01/2019 - 11/30/2019
338 GB 0 GB
December
12/01/2019 - 12/31/2019
108 GB 0 GB
January
01/01/2020 - 01/31/2020
87 GB 0 GB
February
02/01/2020 - 02/29/2020
1002 GB 0 GB
Highlighted
Official Employee

@nagendra3901 wrote:

For some reason the image I upload is not visible. Here is the data copied from the data usage page from your website @ComcastTeds 

Month Total Monthly Usage Total Monthly Overage
August
08/01/2019 - 08/31/2019
115 GB 0 GB
September
09/01/2019 - 09/30/2019
135 GB 0 GB
October
10/01/2019 - 10/31/2019
216 GB 0 GB
November
11/01/2019 - 11/30/2019
338 GB 0 GB
December
12/01/2019 - 12/31/2019
108 GB 0 GB
January
01/01/2020 - 01/31/2020
87 GB 0 GB
February
02/01/2020 - 02/29/2020
1002 GB 0 GB

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above.

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

From looking at your account for February, I don't see any tremendous daily spikes but rather consistent data usage each day ranging from a low of 12 GB a day to a high of 57 GB a day (rough average of about 41 GB/day).     

January usage was minimal (only 87 GB/month and zero to under 1 GB/day of usage on 23 days in January.  There was usage 1/27 through 1/31 with about 35 GB a day used on the last two days of January.      

December usage was also light - only 108 GB for the month. There was zero to under 1 GB/day of usage from 12/11 through 12/31.  There was usage 12/1 through 12/10  with about 10 GB a day used during that time frame.       

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it is part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Data backups (including cloud backups)
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

@ComcastTeds 

Your colleague did reach out to me by, I appreciate you helping set that up. 

However, they basically reiterated the same points the past three (3) people I have spoken to and that Comcast continually says there is no issue on their party and repeat the same script:

1. Change wifi password 

2. Check for Malware/Run Antivirus software

3. Check for snagged downloads/cloud syncing

4. Check how much you're actually streaming/using data by installing your own data monitoring devices/software.

I checked this morning, Comcast reports that I am now at 1114 GB. 

So from the morning of 2/21 to the morning of 2/25 (4 days) I've used 177 GB? Thats ~45GB a day which is about 15hrs/day of HD streaming? I'm not even awake 15 hrs a day on the weekend. 

My biggest gripe with your representatives responses are #4. I have downloaded/installed data tracking software. My issue is I brought up the fact that what if a scenario occurs where my data tracking differs from Comcast's data usage meter? Your representative basically said they cannot take that data and we're basically back to this issue. There is no point in tracking our own data if it ends up having a discrenpancy to Comcast's data usage meter because Comcast said they won't even consider it. 

Like I said, I'm the most egregious data user in the home and even then I roughly average 250-300 GB/month per my Windows data usage meter. I don't see how we've never gotten close to 1TB in 5+ years up to Oct 2019, and now Nov 2019 we suddenly use ~2x the amount each month are increasing each month in data use. 

All I'm asking is to take a deeper look at my data usage meter in my area around those times. Or if you're able to pinpoint days or anything that would cause that spike in November and then a continual high usage read despite no change in our usage habits. 

And I really do not appreciate the constant attempts to push me towards paying an additional $50/month for unlimited data or the condescending tone regarding "courtesy months" or "crediting me back" as if that is why I am calling. As I have reiterated previously, I do not care for either as our normal use would never reach these limits anyways and has never been an issue prior to Nov 2019. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Anonymous2222 wrote:

@ComcastTeds 

Your colleague did reach out to me by, I appreciate you helping set that up. 

However, they basically reiterated the same points the past three (3) people I have spoken to and that Comcast continually says there is no issue on their party and repeat the same script:

1. Change wifi password 

2. Check for Malware/Run Antivirus software

3. Check for snagged downloads/cloud syncing

4. Check how much you're actually streaming/using data by installing your own data monitoring devices/software.

I checked this morning, Comcast reports that I am now at 1114 GB. 

So from the morning of 2/21 to the morning of 2/25 (4 days) I've used 177 GB? Thats ~45GB a day which is about 15hrs/day of HD streaming? I'm not even awake 15 hrs a day on the weekend. 

My biggest gripe with your representatives responses are #4. I have downloaded/installed data tracking software. My issue is I brought up the fact that what if a scenario occurs where my data tracking differs from Comcast's data usage meter? Your representative basically said they cannot take that data and we're basically back to this issue. There is no point in tracking our own data if it ends up having a discrenpancy to Comcast's data usage meter because Comcast said they won't even consider it. 

Like I said, I'm the most egregious data user in the home and even then I roughly average 250-300 GB/month per my Windows data usage meter. I don't see how we've never gotten close to 1TB in 5+ years up to Oct 2019, and now Nov 2019 we suddenly use ~2x the amount each month are increasing each month in data use. 

All I'm asking is to take a deeper look at my data usage meter in my area around those times. Or if you're able to pinpoint days or anything that would cause that spike in November and then a continual high usage read despite no change in our usage habits. 

And I really do not appreciate the constant attempts to push me towards paying an additional $50/month for unlimited data or the condescending tone regarding "courtesy months" or "crediting me back" as if that is why I am calling. As I have reiterated previously, I do not care for either as our normal use would never reach these limits anyways and has never been an issue prior to Nov 2019. 

For February MTD, I am seeing 1102 gb used so far. There was higher than normal usage on or about 2/2 (120 gb), 2/15 (70 gb), 2/16 (112 gb) and 2/17 (80 gb). The rest of the month is showing fairly consistent usage at 60 gb/day or less. 

Sharing the dates if that helps you figure this out from a device or usage or user standpoint. 

January data usage was at  973 gb.  There was  some "higher than your normal monthly usage" on or about 1/4 and 1/5 (55 gb/each day), 1/14 (75 gb), 1/20 (60 gb) and 1/29 (50 gb). 

December data (930 gb for the month) shows higher than your usual usage on 12/25 (80 gb) and  12/26 (97 gb). 

Please note - - The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

The suggestion of using your own data meter (or the Windows 10 tool outlined earlier) may help you track down which devices connected to your network are using the most data (smart TVs, mobile device, gaming system, security system, refrigerator, thermostat, laptop, etc).

I can share that we did see a lot of spikes in usage around the same time of the launch of Disney Plus in November. Any/all streaming TV services will also use data, especially in HD or 4K playback modes.      

Highlighted
Contributor

This is ridiculous, you push the same narrative. You will not be transparent when it comes to how your "third party" metering is measuring data use. You ignore, repeat yourselves and offer obvious fixes that never solve the issue. Date usage rates have gone up based on the way you meter. My guess is your punishing people that stream outside your network. Your advertizing says "Binge away!" Really?. <Edited>... <Edited>.  Get someone in here who can speak to HOW you meter data!

I and many, many, many others are sick of your service. When ISPs finally start to democratize, we're all jumping this pirate ship.   

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having this issue this month as well. We first got notice of an overage in December after having the service for over year with no change to our usage. The customer service reps are no help and they can not tell us why our usage has increased all of a sudden.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Slow speeds on all devices

Its showing I went over 1T of data this mothe which makes no sense
Highlighted
Official Employee

@Markeydusod wrote:

This is ridiculous, you push the same narrative. You will not be transparent when it comes to how your "third party" metering is measuring data use. You ignore, repeat yourselves and offer obvious fixes that never solve the issue. Date usage rates have gone up based on the way you meter. My guess is your punishing people that stream outside your network. Your advertizing says "Binge away!" Really?. <Edited>... <Edited>.  Get someone in here who can speak to HOW you meter data!

I and many, many, many others are sick of your service. When ISPs finally start to democratize, we're all jumping this pirate ship.   

Apologies, re-posting some information and links on the data meter. If you have some specific questions, I can get them to our team that knows the most about this. 

Metering System:

Also, https://www.netforecast.com/usage-accuracy/ has some good information.  

The link above includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It still doesn't change the fact that the meter is NOT real time. It has up to 24 hour lag. If you're going to charge customers, that data should be real time. I can go look at my electric meter and know exactly how much I've used and how much I'm using that exact instant. Same with my natural gas meter.

Imagine driving your car to a gas pump, thinking you're only putting in $20 in the tank, you stop the pump at $20, but it keeps going up for ten more minutes because of the lag. So you really had to spend $30 on gas becaues the gas meter was lagging. That's not acceptable.