coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Have never had usage issues before but starting november there has been a huge increase seen. checked my routers and they are all secure with no new mysterious signons seen.

the usage info on the site doesnt give much detail as to the when what type of traffic this is coming from. 

Seeing this happend all of the sudden back to back like that is concerning seeing it burned my overage grace, now making me worried about what the bill next month is going to be like.

Untitled.gif

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Excuse me. This isn't anything to do with this topic! Move it back! It's about your system still harrassing us after we opted to pay your 60% markup on the service you promised us!

Learn some customer service skills while you're at it!

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Something is definately awry.  I was always close, but under the 1TB limit, then around October things started heating up and I was charged $30 for overage.  In Novemeber I was notified in the middle of the month is was at 90% and got whacked for $70 more in overages.  At that time I subscribed to Xfinity streaming and invested in a bunch of Roku devices.  Now, the vast majority of our streaming is through Xfinity (~90%), which is not supposed to count against internet usage and I was just notified that I was at 900GB+ for the month.  This is literally impossible.  My Netgear router shows 1.469TB for the month and Comcast reports 935GB in internet.  No way are we only using 1/3 on Xfinity streaming abnd 2/3 on generic internet access.  Comcast you better get you're act together.   

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

@EchoNM wrote:
I also had the September spike. I’ve never been over 500 gb, yet somehow while being out of town for a week and having my modem unplugged for another week I hit 1100 gb. Internet only, no tv. After a few calls to CSA, where they talked to me like I was a moron I might add, I finally got them to open a ticket. My router traffic says I’ve only had 407 gb worth of data volume yet nobody at Comcast seems to think that’s an issue. In fact, even after I unplugged my modem my data usage went up over 60 gb.

It appears my problem started in September as well and in November and December we have somehow gone over our data. We didn't do anything different or add people or devices. It just went up for no reason. Our signal has been dropping everyday for the last couple of months as well and I have had to restart the modem and router almost everyday.

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

4 years ago

I noticed something weird a few years ago when I bought a new router but never really looked into it.  The past two months now I've come close to the terabyte limit which doesn't seem possible considering I haven't changed my habits.  I turned on my router's traffic monitor recently.  My router shows usage for today from midnight to now, 1/1/2020, as just over 700 Mbytes down and up combined.  My comcast account shows usage at 8 Gbytes.  How is that possible?

2 Attachments

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

My Netgear router shows 1.469TB for the month and Comcast reports 935GB in internet.
1469>935

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, but we use xfinity streaming for video, which obviously uses data, but is not supposed to count against the 1TB internet allocation. So we are definitely using this for 90% of streaming video but Comcast is reporting that we are using only 1/3 of our total throughout for Xfinity and that we still used over 900GB on general internet and occasional Hulu/Amazon. I’m a video streaming engineer and understand in detail how much data is used to stream MP4 videos, and we have not used 900GB in the limited Hulu/amazon usage. They are not metering correctly.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have noticed this same issue as well. The last two months our data meter has spiked. We have gone over our 1TB limit and haven’t done anything different than the previous months. We have had to use both of our overage freebies. We weren’t even home for a lot of December. Something has to be done about this! My plan runs up in February. I will look into switching to another company.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

@meball101, again how do you explain your personal router showing more usage than Comcast is showing, if your complaining about usage. Comcast is measuring upload/download, both devices should be measuring the same. PS, remember to exit out of all those Roku devices, if not, they’re still using internet even though you turn the TV off

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Xfinity streaming does not meter as internet usage. If I stream 500GB of Xfinity video streaming and have 100GB of internet usage, my router should show 600GB of throughput and Comcast should report 100GB of internet usage. The 500GB should be filtered out of the Comcast metering. Got it?

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I have the exact thing happening. Ever since I installed the upgraded Gateway my data is exceeding 900 in november, and in December I exceeded the 1tb limit for the first time. What's even stranger is we were on vacation and away from the house for 10 days!?!?! I never got the 90 percent warning and as soon as I logged onto my iPad I got a warning for going over 1tb. Something is fishy. I have no idea why there is a cap to begin with. I never knew there was one until recently. If you pay for cable and internet there should be no cap period. Now I have to worry and fret over how much data My family is using like it's from a cell service. This is completely absurd. I am really close to making a letter for my local congressmen but who knows if that would do any good.  It just gives me a bad feeling.  There is no other alternative in my area. 

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Comcasts metering is broken for some people.

Happened to me in Sep-Oct.

ComcasTeds was able to reslove the problem.

Got my overage month credited back and got a $60 account credit for the issue.

@ComcastTeds 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Glad i found this thread and i am not the only one. In last 12 months i was over 1 tb limit 2 times. usually around 900GB or below. Today i faced a really weird thing. My billing cycle is from Dec 1st to Dec 31st. Till Dec 19th i think i used around 700GB of data. From 20th morning to 30th morning our family is out of town for vacatio. Today after returning from the trip i casually checked my account and i see i have used something around 730 GB out of 1024 GB limit. So i thought i should be good as there are only 2 days in my billing cycle and almost 300 GB of data cap left to use and by my usual usage i will be using 60 GB in the next 2 days. 7 hours later i am over my monthly cap limit by 77GB. So that means i used almost 377GB of data in 7 hours. I am out of words. Today the things we did is probably 2-3 hours of Netflix and 2 hours of browsing in my desktop and 8 hours of VPN connection to my work which hardly takes may be 500-600 MB in those 8 hours. i didn't even downloaded any netflix movies for offline watching or any other games from my xbox store. after i got the 90% usage alert email from xfinity i contacted the customer service and they told me to chage the password for my wifi and install anti-virus on my devices and told me to contact them once i am over the 1024GB datacap limit so that they investigate the spike in data usage. i don't understand why should i wait till i get over my data cap to report it so that comcast can investigate it. And one more thing is comcast says the data usage may not include the last 24 hours usage data. But i saw my data usage chage in the online account 3 times today : afternoon i saw some 279 GB left in my cap, 5 hours later 77 GB left, another hour later 11GB left, couple of hours later i am over the data cap by 77GB. This clearly seems very very unusual. My data usage went from 730GB on 12/30/2019 afternoon to 1190 GB 12/31/2019 11:59 PM. 460GB data usage in 1.5 days is unheard of for me in last 10 years atleast.

@ComcastTeds  can you please help me.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Good to know that other people are having the same issue.  What I can't understand is how Comcast doesn't address this issue if multiple people have the same issue.  You would think they would assign someone to the forum issue to research it and investigate what's going on.  Every time I call to find out what the issue is, I get passed around.  On Tuesday I called again and  CSA (Customer Security Assurance) referred me to tech support.  Tech support sent a tech out.  The tech said my signal is good and to go a store and talk to them there.  I mentioned to CSA, tech support and the tech that there is a thread on the Comcast forums where other people are having the same issue and each one of them said we've never heard of this issue.  Maybe they should have an internal bulletin board for sharing major issues so their people are knowledgeable on the current issues.  This is a "megathread" and you would think there would be more awareness of the issue.  Tonight I am going to turn off/unplug all streaming devices, screen shot my netgear meter the comcast meter when I wake up screen shot the differences again.  If it's anything like the other night, netgear showed 2GB and xfinity showed 25GB.  I reset my network, change all passwords, only allowed known devices, and still high usage.  I wasn't even home on the 30th when my data showed I used 20GB in 6 hours time.  How does xfinity explain all this?

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

Xfinity says their meter may not show data used within the last 24 hours, so over-night tests or even tests of a single day aren’t very meaningful.  (Since you don’t know if the data counted occurred during the test period or before it.)  Unfortunately, you need longer test periods if you are only using their meter.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here