coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

5 years ago

Have patience...if you didn't get billed for over-usage, Comcast eventually figured it out, and throttled back your "usage-ometer.".  We finished the month just over 500GB, about 40% above historical averages, and the extraordinary daily runup ended in mid-October, after posting here on the Forum.  Surprisingly enough, they "heard the outcry", and I'm gratified to see that necessary corrections made...who knew?

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

5 years ago

And, I see that my account has been "unbanned", after - admittedly - being a bit strong in my comments on data-usage counters, and getting booted off the forum.  Honestly, if CC HQ didn't see that a very large contingency of users are getting huge hits on daily streaming usages over and beyond their  normal or historical usage rates UNTIL people complained, the Co. should have been   completely more pro-active in recognizing that there IS a  problem with counter software, and sending out heads-up to the customer base, right?  Oh, well, problem solved, and I'm happy.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I continue to have this exact problem despite two calls into Xfinity customer service and tickets supposedly being created. How do I have someone like the employee posting on this thread look into this? I'm headed towards burning a second courtesy month.

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

5 years ago

johnn2...hope CC has given you satisfaction...thanks for the thumbs-up...we's all into this stuff together, and we all gotta fight the good fight...Venceremos!

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

5 years ago

Keep banging away on this forum...Comcast employees pick up on customer problems, especially this one, which has drawn boatloads of attention...check daily your counter nos., and you should see corrected totals in time.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

My data usage for this month and last month is through the roof. Even if I turn everything off unplug it And unplug the router it still goes Up.I called Comcast and they can't help
me, so I went into the local store. He said it was my phone and removed some apps. Overnight it went up 32gb. Thats 4 or 5 days use for me. I dont know what to do.

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

5 years ago

I'm guessing the person in the store said it was the phone because you had the phone with you.  It's hard for anyone to debug another person's home network since they have no idea what's on it let alone can see things and adjust things.  So, if part of your home network happens to be in your pocket - hey let's adjust that!

Of course, that doesn't mean he couldn't be right!  Due to the slowness of the Comcast meter, any improvement may take longer than "overnight" to become apparent.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

My data is still going up like crazy. I live alone , no hd, just watch you tube and some prime. How could i b using 50gb a day. I went to the xfinity store again today, but no help.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@dianeT734 wrote:

Showed 962gb for month of October in terms of data usage,   don't believe streamed that much this month as far as i know

Son tends to watch Xfinity On Demand which shouldn't affect the cap,  a little youtube here and there,  Myself a little Youtube, email checking, and such,    PC's have been scanned by my son with Avast Free Antivirus,  Malwarebytes Free as well, and emisoft emergency kit, and no infections found at all.     

Son even went as far as clean install his system as he was using Windows Defender in September, and decided to make sure his system was really clean,  a little bit of data used then, probably 80gbs-100 something gigabyte for all his games, and PC updates and such.      

Am using our own netgear c7100v modem

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@OZ_hamster wrote:

And, I see that my account has been "unbanned", after - admittedly - being a bit strong in my comments on data-usage counters, and getting booted off the forum.  Honestly, if CC HQ didn't see that a very large contingency of users are getting huge hits on daily streaming usages over and beyond their  normal or historical usage rates UNTIL people complained, the Co. should have been   completely more pro-active in recognizing that there IS a  problem with counter software, and sending out heads-up to the customer base, right?  Oh, well, problem solved, and I'm happy.

Apologies. For context, this issue impacted about  0.008% of our high speed data customers. Thanks for your patience while the teams investigated and resolved the issue.    

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

Comcast is aware of the issue.

ComcastTeds

Official Employee
‎10-09-2019 02:08 PM

Re: Internet usage

Apologies all for the issue and the experience that many have described above. Thanks for posting many details here, that was very helpful in having our teams research this issue.

While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly.

We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right.

Impacted customers have been identified.  We are working to identify customers that may have purchased xFi or unlimited data as a direct result of this error.  

I am an   Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership.  We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!

0 Likes

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@eerie wrote:

I continue to have this exact problem despite two calls into Xfinity customer service and tickets supposedly being created. How do I have someone like the employee posting on this thread look into this? I'm headed towards burning a second courtesy month.

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account. 

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Goldenrose wrote:
My data is still going up like crazy. I live alone , no hd, just watch you tube and some prime. How could i b using 50gb a day. I went to the xfinity store again today, but no help.

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

My data also spiked in the wake of being told my speed would be increasing. As part of this nonsense, Comcast somehow managed to remove the settings in my account that I had set to give me 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90 percent warnings. All I got was a 90 percent warning, and a violation of the cap a few days later.

I started monitoring my traffic from the router (every single thing in my home that connects does so through the router) and I am nowhere near the usage Comcast claims. 

Curiously, all past data usage is wiped from my record.

This is so very clearly a failure on Comcast's part that I barely know what to say. I want my overage month restored, and I want the data I actually use to be counted. It's bad enough that we have this data cap to begin with, but when Comcast can move in behind it,

You have the chance to address it. Please do so.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I was also affected by this problem and had my September and October data usage wiped, as well as receiving a refund of my courtesy months. A colleague of yours posted on these forums that those affected would receive a $50 credit on their account; however, with my most recent billing statement it doesn't seem to be on there. Will it be on next month's billing statement?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here