Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.
Administrator

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

@coles1,

We sincerely apologize for the confusion. The mega thread you are discussing is in reference to a proactive post I authored more than 3 years ago informing our customers about our Terabyte Data Usage Plans. Since the original post, many new posts were being merged there that were discussing individual concerns about data overages. While we can certainly understand customer's desire to communicate about this issue with other users, it can make it extremely difficult for our care teams to provide assistance to customers reporting needing assistance with their accounts and their individual data usage.

Since data usage is so specialized to an individual's online habits it simply does not make sense to allow speculation or the concern that one customer's data usage habits can be the same as any other customer. 

If you would like specifics with your account data usage, our CSA department can provide some additional insights into how data is being accounted for on your account. You can contact them directly at 1-877-807-6581 from 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM ET, 7 days a week. 

**UPDATE 10/1/2019**

We sincerely appreciate all the comments. As of today, October 1st, 2019, the data meter tool is working as designed. If there is an update to this or additional information to share we will be sure to update this message and the marked Best Answer on the mega thread mentioned in the original post. 

We ask that if you have individual concerns about your account's data usage and are in need of employee assistance, please author a new post here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/bd-p/YHN

So our team can better assist your individual needs. 

**UPDATE 10/2/19**

Currently, there is a ticket open with our engineering teams to investigate if there is an issue with the way the data meter is measuring our customer's data usage habits. As of now, we are currently investigating this. If there are any updates or additional information to share I will be sure to add an update to this post. Thank you in advance for your patience as we work to investigate this further. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

The unfortunate thing about breaking the threads is that anyone who posted earlier will now not be notified if someone posts a solution or even a sensible way to investigate the problem.

Frequent Visitor

the problem isnt individual data usage, my dude, we've established that amply. the problem is comcast metering. i have twenty printed-off pages of posts from across the internet from dozens of people having the exact same problem in the exact same frame of time. this is not an individual data usage issue. this is a comcast issue. a couple of people have even gotten comcast to admit it! twitter has some interesting things.

stop merging relevant threads into irrelevant ones so that you can shut them down, thx

New Poster

There has not been a fix for the spike in data usage that many have experienced this month.  My data usage tripled in September for no apparent reason I have been able to find thus far - never have gotten close to the data cap since it was raised to 1 TB.  Always have been using about 350 GB.  I have called Comcast several times in the past few days and am not getting any closer to a resolution for this issue and I have little time left to solve it before I am forced to go to an unlimited plan or cancel service and go back to the low speed data plan I had before. 

Contributor

Well, we're not getting very far on this topic other than we know people see random usage spikes.  For the "internet connection only" folks (no X1 or MoCA set top boxes) How about something more constructive?

Ever try any penetration testing on your external IP address?  Check to see if there are ANY open ports on your router.  Port scanning is legit if it's your stuff.  DO NOT portscan Xfinity equipment.  They get all angry about that.

Got a friend with a linux box?  Try nmap.  You can find some online nmap scanners too if you don't.  Try a few different kinds of scans.  Christmas tree and no TCP flag scans too.  See if there's anything open on your router.  Also on your router, disable ICMP (no pings to your external address, scan with the Pn flag in nmap then).  Make sure there's no remote access to your router.  If you are port forwarding, I hope you know what you're doing and throttling your forwarded port with a firewall, or using fail-to-ban or something like that to slow down attacks.  Turn off Upnp.  It's a bad idea to let devices connect to remote locations on their own and punch holes in your firewall.

One thing that looks a bit freaky to me?  The option to "reboot" your router if it's an Xfinity one on the account page.  Why?  That's an open port or SNMP or something.  That needs to be blocked.  It's a bad idea.

See what's there.  Maybe something, maybe nothing.  We'll go from there.

Frequent Visitor

I'm posting here so I can see if anyone posts a solution.

Since lastnight they are now accusing us of having used 1700GB (which is insanity).

They can look at our account history and see that we have always used under 500GB a month (usually around 350GB - 450G.

I agree with what another person wrote in the now locked thread.  That all this seems to have started a few days after I received an email saying that comcast upped our download speed for no extra charge.  We received that email on Sept. 19th, and then on Sept 21st is when we got our first ever warning that we'd used 90% of our monthly data.  Then within another 24 hrs we'd used all 100%.

I had never changed the allert from the default 90% warning because we have never come close to using the full TB.

Contributor

Well OK.  Now that I'm logging every single packet, and every packet size and type dropped by the firewall, how did I end up for the month of Sept?

Now I'm XXG off what is claimed on the usage page.  I'll keep the actual number a mystery for now.  More than 10G and less than 99G.  I'm assuming the usage for Sept won't change now that it's logging Oct, but no matter.  I've got the logs and databases.

Up until Sept 6th, I was getting a mysterious data spike 30% over actual use and on the way to blow the 1TB limit.  Since then, the counter has been "corrected", but it appears they over achieved on the correction factor a bit.  It is actually SHORT of data I know I actually used.

So what's the reported usage?  Is this an "estimate"?  A dynamic rolling average based on......what  and when exactly?  It doesn't appear to be actual data.

Regular Visitor

I have the data spike issue in September also.  Never used over 500gb in my 5 years using comcast internet service.  We usually hover around 350 gb a month.

Then 15 days into September I get the warning that we have gone over 1 TB which is insane.  Multiple chats online and calls to comcast about the issue has been no help.  Seems like data use goes up 50-100 gb a day regardless of how much we use the internet if at all daily.

New Poster

I am having the same issue. I was shocked to see that I’d gone over the cap (highest usage historically has been 295) but am much more concerned at how to stop the hemorrhaging of data!

I received notice that I’d exceeded the cap at 9:30 on Sunday. I then changed my wi-fi password immediately and then also unplugged my modem because I’d seen on other threads that users experienced data usage even with an unplugged modem. I was curious if this would happen to me, and I wanted as much information as possible when I called customer service.

Data usage continued to creep up, at this point showing I’d used approximately 34 GB of data while having an unplugged modem.

I called customer service and they acknowledged that this was unusual and clearly not accurate, based on my history (more than I was expecting to get out of them!). After being transferred a couple of times, they gave me back a courtesy month and are opening an investigation. They said they will  call me back with a resolution (I know, wishful thinking!). I think I really got their attention when I mentioned that my modem has been unplugged and their system is still showing that I’m using data.

During my conversation, I also learned that the spike in usage started on 9/10. Since then their records show an average usage of >50 GB per day. As others have said, this is clearly a monitoring issue since it’s impossible to use data without a modem.

I’ll update if I hear back.

Frequent Visitor

I also, just got off the phone with customer support.

The lady acknowledged that there is an issue happening on Comcast's end.

She said that the "system" automatically refunded my courtesy month, and that I would be receiving a phone call explaining what happened.

I looked on my account, and my courtesy month counter had returned to 2.

Regular Contributor

I have been without Internet service since Sunday 9/29 after my comcast modem died. At which point I unplugged/disconnected the modem and boxed it up ready for return. Today 10/1 I still do not have internet service and my data usage is showing at 6GB. Somehow Comcast has determined that I used 6GB with no internet service since 9/29. I am internet only, NO TV and I do not use the hot spots. I have complained for years that the meter is not accurate.
Regular Contributor

Make sure you are getting a call logged with customer service or their security team to document this in case you go over the cap and need a credit.  Some other cases might be  backup software, a virus, or wifi highjacking.  When your modem is down, it can't be.

Expert

@flatlander3 wrote:

How about something more constructive?

Unfortunately it's been my experience that typically:

1. People will post about data overages
  2. We ask them to detail issues or do some basic troubleshooting 
  3. People ignore us, or
  4. People don't report back as to whether or not their issue has been solved.

Fortunately a few people DID respond and we were able to isolate a few issues that were causing overages (the Backblaze backups being an obvious culprit) but it's hardly enough, given that all sorts of issues can lead to data overages without having it be on Comcast's end.

It would behoove all of us to remember that this is a peer to peer support forum and we can't solve problems on our own. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Not everyone here has the technical expertise to do more than monitor their own devices for what those devices say are being used and some of them not even that. I've done everything that I know how to do and that was easy to Google and I'm pretty sure that like me other people posting here have spent hours on the phone with Comcast already doing their "troubleshooting" and are sick of it already when there's ample documentation that this is a metering issue on Comcast's side.
New Poster

I also had the September spike. I’ve never been over 500 gb, yet somehow while being out of town for a week and having my modem unplugged for another week I hit 1100 gb. Internet only, no tv. After a few calls to CSA, where they talked to me like I was a moron I might add, I finally got them to open a ticket. My router traffic says I’ve only had 407 gb worth of data volume yet nobody at Comcast seems to think that’s an issue. In fact, even after I unplugged my modem my data usage went up over 60 gb.
Frequent Visitor

Well, the meter can't be "working as designed".   It's claiming I used 50GB for October so far.

Also,  that courtesy month that was re-funded to me... 

My account now says that I only have one courtesy month left again?

Looks like I'm back to calling costomer support again tomorrow.

Contributor

That one's perfect! 

My concern is that perhaps there's traffic there and it's not just a metering problem.  Take a peek.

Every use Wireshark?  It's free.  Windows/Mac/Linux Captures packets.  Turn your wifi radio's off.  Connect to the Lan port on your router.  Disconnect anything else on the lan.  We want to cut down on the talking.

Look at your local IP address.  Get a "cmd" box in windows and type ipfconfig.  You want to look at the default gateway address, so if your default gateway is 192.168.0.1, start a packet capture with this filter in the top browser url looking line:

ip.addr == 192.168.0.1/32

Don't surf.  Don't do anything.  Just let the packet capture run.   Get a few thousand packets.  Save it.  Now turn the firewall off on your router temporarily and do it again.

Without knowing a whole lot about packet captures or TCP, you should be able to tell if your IP is getting bombed with a flood of inbound traffic.

Regular Visitor

I have been using Glasswire since the 30th of September. I'm an expert computer user and am conscious of what I download. I am the only computer user in this house and Glasswire reports that I've used 2.9GB from September 30 - October 2. I went to my account page and lo and behold October has 166GB data used up.

I have been a loyal comcast customer for over 10 years and not once have I ever hit the data cap since it started being enforced. Usually hit ~500-650GB per month. Suddenly in September I hit 1200GB and used up one of our courtesy months for the first time ever. I woke up on October 1st to see that overnight even with Glasswire running, Xfinity's website said I mysteriously used 76GB.

Scouring my connected devices page showed no foreign devices, however I changed the WiFi password just to be safe. Still spiking.

I called up and they said that's unusual and that they've been receiving a high volume of complaints regarding data spikes.

My case has been escalated twice and I'm waiting for a response back. This has nothing to do with actual traffic or background downloading that people aren't aware of. There are people on the subreddit even complaining that unplugging their modem still leads to crazy data usage even after waiting 24H.

This is a problem on Comcast's side -- one I hope they fix and compensate us for -- otherwise I may have to find alternatives. I cannot afford to pay data overages.

Contributor

@RSucher wrote:

Glasswire

76GB.

Still spiking.

Great Data points.  That's a lot of data.  That would be like pulling 7Mbps constantly for a day.  I'm not saying it's NOT an Xfinity issue.  After watching this like a hawk with both Cisco gear, then a pfSense firewall and tracking every packet -- dropped ones too, I've had both Short and OverCounts compared to what Xfinity "thinks" I'm using.  Everything goes throught my firewall, including wifi.

Still, I haven't ruled out botnets on the network completely.  I'm just trying to catch one in the act.  Maybe you can help.  Something to watch for to get setup for debugging. 

Check your gear, poke at your router settings, scan with nmap just to make sure -- newer routers can detect port scans, even with the -Pn option and give you false hope.  Scan ports individually from an external address -- ie #nmap -p 443 -Pn targetIP

Got a Netgear customer owned cable router?  So as it turns out, there's something called "ReadyShare" that's supposed to allow you to be able to stuff a USB stick in the router and share content -- Even over the internet.  It's on by default.  It's horrifying.  Yep, it's running ftp, 80-web internally, and 443 externally.  It will be intercepting traffic before you can even see it with Glasswire.  If anyone has it, turn off the built in media server, then go to advanced tab and "port forward" ports 80, 443, 21 to a bogus IP, or if you've got a decent firewall, direct them there to be blocked directly.  Redirect the "remote management" ports as long as you're in there, even if you have remote access disabled.  You don't want your router responding even if it's saying "closed".  All you should get is "filtered" with nmap.

Does an Xfinity Cable Modem have open internet ports or services?  Dunno.  You can reboot it from the web site, and I'm not sure what the mechanism is there.   SNMP?  IPMI?  Web?  Undocumented server??  An employee could help us out with that one.  Whatever it is, that is a backdoor service shouldn't exist.

Frequent Visitor

This is still happening to me, I do respond, create threads and call and call and call. NOTHING is ever done. What is the problem here? This has to be why my internet is dropping every 10 minutes. If am using 40gb of data in a matter of a few hours, I can see what that woudl happen, but again xfinty xfi stinks and doesn't show what devices are consuming what. And Xfininity never admits it is there issue. Please tell me what I need to do to correct this. This huge use of data is killing my ability to work 

Where is Xfinity at with a solution or at least an update to the customers who pay hand over fist for poor, over priced service, support and technical. No one at xfinity knows anything other than what is on their scripts. I am so mad!

Frequent Visitor

@flatlander3 wrote:

@RSucher wrote:

Glasswire

76GB.

Still spiking.

Great Data points.  That's a lot of data.  That would be like pulling 7Mbps constantly for a day.  I'm not saying it's NOT an Xfinity issue.  After watching this like a hawk with both Cisco gear, then a pfSense firewall and tracking every packet -- dropped ones too, I've had both Short and OverCounts compared to what Xfinity "thinks" I'm using.  Everything goes throught my firewall, including wifi.

Still, I haven't ruled out botnets on the network completely.  I'm just trying to catch one in the act.  Maybe you can help.  Something to watch for to get setup for debugging. 

Check your gear, poke at your router settings, scan with nmap just to make sure -- newer routers can detect port scans, even with the -Pn option and give you false hope.  Scan ports individually from an external address -- ie #nmap -p 443 -Pn targetIP

Got a Netgear customer owned cable router?  So as it turns out, there's something called "ReadyShare" that's supposed to allow you to be able to stuff a USB stick in the router and share content -- Even over the internet.  It's on by default.  It's horrifying.  Yep, it's running ftp, 80-web internally, and 443 externally.  It will be intercepting traffic before you can even see it with Glasswire.  If anyone has it, turn off the built in media server, then go to advanced tab and "port forward" ports 80, 443, 21 to a bogus IP, or if you've got a decent firewall, direct them there to be blocked directly.  Redirect the "remote management" ports as long as you're in there, even if you have remote access disabled.  You don't want your router responding even if it's saying "closed".  All you should get is "filtered" with nmap.

Does an Xfinity Cable Modem have open internet ports or services?  Dunno.  You can reboot it from the web site, and I'm not sure what the mechanism is there.   SNMP?  IPMI?  Web?  Undocumented server??  An employee could help us out with that one.  Whatever it is, that is a backdoor service shouldn't exist.

Interesting. I also recently used Readyshare to connect a 8tb drive to my router. I thought about this and uplugged it so no traffic is going to it but I am not sure if it is "disabled" because even after unplugging it last night, I still consumed nearly 49gb by morning. 

Contributor

Interesting. I also recently used Readyshare to connect a 8tb drive to my router. I thought about this and uplugged it so no traffic is going to it but I am not sure if it is "disabled" because even after unplugging it last night, I still consumed nearly 49gb by morning. 

While you're in there.  Make sure UPnP is disabled.  Devices shouldn't be allowed to create firewall rules/holes.   You want ICMP disabled too.  Make sure nobody can flood ping your IP from the outside.

Frequent Visitor

Pk

@flatlander3 wrote:

While you're in there.  Make sure UPnP is disabled.  Devices shouldn't be allowed to create firewall rules/holes.   You want ICMP disabled too.  Make sure nobody can flood ping your IP from the outside.

Thanks. It is weird because I haven't changed my router settings in, forever! The only thing this reminds me of is when I was working and idle printers were consuming 100GB of data over night just sitting there. It ended up being an intel driver that was causing a packet floot. I would use wireshark but you need to know how to read that in order to understand it, and wireshark isn't user friendly in my opinion. Thanks, I will try the suggestion but with everyone having this same spike I would assume it is xfinity and I would also guess it is related to my constant internet drops. 

My call last night was also escalate and I am supposed to get a call back this evening. 

Frequent Visitor

@coles1 wrote:

the problem isnt individual data usage, my dude, we've established that amply. the problem is comcast metering. i have twenty printed-off pages of posts from across the internet from dozens of people having the exact same problem in the exact same frame of time. this is not an individual data usage issue. this is a comcast issue. a couple of people have even gotten comcast to admit it! twitter has some interesting things.

stop merging relevant threads into irrelevant ones so that you can shut them down, thx

This is insane. Everyone is having the same exact issue starting at the same exact time and they just can't admit or try to give us a solution. I have never had such terrible service. I really dislike xfinity, their data limits and their inability to admit when something is wrong on their end. 

With that being said, again, Xfinity keeps telling me I should be able to view the amount of data EACH CONNECTED DEVICE is using. It does not, it shows an across the board total which doesn't help at all. I have never paid this much for internet and not have the ability to track usage per device, but I also have a data limit! I wish I had other options but I work from home and Xfinity doesn't care. They just have excuses and then when they fix it, they will act like nothing was ever wrong. 

Regular Contributor

If you have xFi and an xfinity modem/router you should see devices here:

https://internet.xfinity.com/devices

Clicking on each should show recent usage, then click on the right arrow for a 30 day view.  Just a low/high graph, but better than nothing.

Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

If you have xFi and an xfinity modem/router you should see devices here:

https://internet.xfinity.com/devices

Clicking on each should show recent usage, then click on the right arrow for a 30 day view.  Just a low/high graph, but better than nothing.

I hate to be rude but you sound EXACTLY like every single tech I wasted my time with. I tell them over and over, just like in this thread, that I am not using the modem as a router and they all told me, "as long as you use xfi, it will see how much data is being used and from which device. I was told this over and over and over and over. Then I post here, over and over about my router and get this response. To be then followed up with "oh, it won't work unless you use their modem". How many different things will I be told in a 24/hr period. I am just beyond ticked. And the fact that you cannot say c r a p on this forum is as stupid as the people who answer the phones at Xfinity support. 

They all said that they could see my modem had been restarting 20 times a day, but will not correlate the spike in data usage to the Internet drops. I bet 100000000% they are related. I never once had a drop, now when out of the blue I am using 60gb in 12 hours, my Internet drops every 10 minutes. But hey, it isn't Xfinity or the data usage spike...restart the modem. I am not mad at you, just at this whole situation. As I sit at work and check my data usage while no one is home it is still going up and up and up and up and xfinity will never admit anything. Watch

Regular Contributor

Answered in another thread, but if your router isn't xFi your aren't going get xFi features.  The router provides that functionality.

Expert

@coles1 wrote:
Not everyone here has the technical expertise to do more than monitor their own devices for what those devices say are being used and some of them not even that. 

I, like the other forum Experts and Problem Solvers are very well of that,  having been involved with extensive troubleshooting of user issues for many years now, and with many of said users not being very well versed in  tech.  That's why there are security software suites available for people to use, including Comcast's own Xfinity xFi and xFi Advanced Security, and Symantec's Norton Security Online, which is free to Comcast users

I have very little technical expertise of how automobiles work under the hood as well, but that's why I take my car to a mechanic when it has issues.

Unfortunately nowadays people HAVE to learn how to manage their networks. With the advent of ever more sophistitcated current security threats like cryptomalware and targeted phishing, if you don't learn to cope with them, you will find yourself in the same situation as thousands who have lost large amounts of work, time and money, not to mention their very identities. 

@coles1 wrote:
 I've done everything that I know how to do and that was easy to Google and I'm pretty sure that like me other people posting here have spent hours on the phone with Comcast already doing their "troubleshooting" and are sick of it already when there's ample documentation that this is a metering issue on Comcast's side.

Is it? It's relatively easy to point the finger at Comcast but if that were true, why isn't this being relfected across the board? My data usage "spiked" in September as well - Comcast reported 659 GB (as opposed to my usual 400 GB ), even with a weekend away when I discovered my Netgear CM1150V modem crashed and my network was offline. 

Guess what though? My ASUS RT-AC88U's Traffic Analyzer reported 609 GB - a slight difference from Comcast, but nevertheless within expected results.  In fact, outside of this,  my reported Comcast usage has never differed from my Traffic Analyzer by more than 20 GB in any one month. 

Upon close examination, I found that my iMac ran nearly 200 GB worth of iTunes updates, mostly from movies I had downloaded and a bunch of new music.  My Home Security router got a lot of extra traffic as well, thanks to the neighboring house running repairs on their fence and thus spiking activity on my two 24/7 cameras. And there's the three XBox consoles that all ran game updates and downloads. 

In theory, I shouldn't be seeing any weird spikes in my network usage as I have everything locked down - I don't even have remote access enabled on both my router and my NAS and they don't advertise their presence on the internet - and sure enough, I've never seen any. 

Certainly the issues you're seeing may originate on the Comcast side, but without any substantive evidence to go on, there's not much we can do on this forum.  Comcast doesn't monitor your internal LAN for traffic and usage, and frankly, if they did, I wouldn't be a customer, as I wouldn't tolerate such intrusive practices. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@flatlander3 wrote:

Got a Netgear customer owned cable router?  So as it turns out, there's something called "ReadyShare" that's supposed to allow you to be able to stuff a USB stick in the router and share content -- Even over the internet.  It's on by default.  It's horrifying.  Yep, it's running ftp, 80-web internally, and 443 externally.  It will be intercepting traffic before you can even see it with Glasswire.  

I actually did have a Netgear router (R7000P) at one time, and I retired it in favor of my current ASUS RT-AC88U. I've never used ReadyShare, and frankly, that's a really awful security issue you've described.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Frequent Visitor

Comcast customer service has already admitted to me, and to others that there is a issue on their end.

Yes it seems to only be affecting certain costomers, but there isn't any "maybe" anymore.

Contributor

They all said that they could see my modem had been restarting 20 times a day

Hay now.  This part is interesting!!

OK, so it's not an xFi or Xfinity cable modem/router.  Perhaps a Netgear of some kind -- Genie/Nighthawk something along those lines?  Got it where you can see it?  Is the Green LED with the Down Arrow blinking from time to time??  Keep an eye out.  That's the modem losing the signal lock timing.  Turn on all logging on the router.  Associated log message will be something like:

SYNC Timing Synchronization failures --->>  Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=YO:UR:xx:MA:C:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Your MAC to a zero or unknown MAC address -- meaning, it couldn't find anything to talk to and sync the signal.

In the Basic --> Cable Connection tab, are there a bunch of correctable and perhaps thousands of uncorrectable packets on the Bonded Channels?  Should be 8 channels.   200+ uncorrectables isn't awful, but thousands and thousands are. 

If that's the case, I'd be looking for a bad cable connection.  Not sure why it would flip out the data counter, but it's not right.

The other thing that will tip your modem over is overheating from massive inbound traffic.  Your modem will heat up, then watchdog and reboot/restart on its own.  Look at the logs and look for [Firewall Up].  That's your restarts. 

It's why I'm looking at this in the first place.  Are the counters at Xfinity.....counting real data?  Maybe.  I don't have an answer yet.

Regular Contributor

Another thing to consider is that at the TCP/IP level, errors or drops are corrected by resending the whole packet.  So if some device on a bad wifi connection is doing an update it could result in much more data being sent than you'd expect because of the retries.    Still,  a TB is a lot of retries...

Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

Another thing to consider is that at the TCP/IP level, errors or drops are corrected by resending the whole packet.  So if some device on a bad wifi connection is doing an update it could result in much more data being sent than you'd expect because of the retries.    Still,  a TB is a lot of retries...

But there are clearly people on here that have diconnected everything, but the modem still on and are still getting huge data usage. With no pc, phone, or anything connected via wifi or ethernet.

Frequent Visitor

@FlickNFreckles wrote:

Comcast customer service has already admitted to me, and to others that there is a issue on their end.

Yes it seems to only be affecting certain costomers, but there isn't any "maybe" anymore.

We shall see if they admit it when they call (like they said they were going to tonight). I bet they won't call, though, becasue they are incompetent liars. This happened to me before, I had a tech take my number and tell me I will call you at this time. Then they never did, I spend 2 hours on hold to have another tech say that in no way, shape or form will another tech call you back, ever. Now, the tech I spoke with last night did the same thing. Promised me a call tonight to see how it has been, because she knew my frustration. If she calls I will be surprised. 

Frequent Visitor

WEll, comcast HAS admitted and YES, it is perfectly acceptable to "point the finger" at comacast when tons of customers are having the exact same issue that started happenig at the same time. But thanks for tryiing to stick up for an issue that clearly could only be from the ISP. Me, and 50 other people wouldn't be having this same issue by coinsidence. 

Regular Visitor

With all due respect Jessie, there is no way the meter is correct. The usage is still going up despite the modem being completely disconnected for 48 hours. This is clearly a problem on Comcast’s end, and we desperately need answers and solutions. I will not pay for overages. I will not pay the extra $50 for unlimited internet. There is a 0% chance I’ve used 40gb of data when all devices are paused, the modem is disconnected, and I’m away from home.
Frequent Visitor

@flatlander3 wrote:

They all said that they could see my modem had been restarting 20 times a day

Hay now.  This part is interesting!!

OK, so it's not an xFi or Xfinity cable modem/router.  Perhaps a Netgear of some kind -- Genie/Nighthawk something along those lines?  Got it where you can see it?  Is the Green LED with the Down Arrow blinking from time to time??  Keep an eye out.  That's the modem losing the signal lock timing.  Turn on all logging on the router.  Associated log message will be something like:

SYNC Timing Synchronization failures --->>  Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=YO:UR:xx:MA:C:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Your MAC to a zero or unknown MAC address -- meaning, it couldn't find anything to talk to and sync the signal.

In the Basic --> Cable Connection tab, are there a bunch of correctable and perhaps thousands of uncorrectable packets on the Bonded Channels?  Should be 8 channels.   200+ uncorrectables isn't awful, but thousands and thousands are. 

If that's the case, I'd be looking for a bad cable connection.  Not sure why it would flip out the data counter, but it's not right.

The other thing that will tip your modem over is overheating from massive inbound traffic.  Your modem will heat up, then watchdog and reboot/restart on its own.  Look at the logs and look for [Firewall Up].  That's your restarts. 

It's why I'm looking at this in the first place.  Are the counters at Xfinity.....counting real data?  Maybe.  I don't have an answer yet.

I am at work not, but yes I have a nighthawk R7000 Netgear. I have, and have alwyas had Geanie on my desktop. I use a wifi adapter, too because the card I had in my dell stinks. 

I am at work and will try this when I get home. I just don't think it is this, though, since all of the other people are not also using third party routers. I just use the modem as a gateway and have that going to my netgear. Always have. All of my cable are new, too, but I have others I can try. I just cannot imagine it is my router, when so many other people are seeing the same thing.  I will try wnen I oam off,m but what you explained didn't seem easy to follow, after looking for a green light. 

Contributor

Just to be clear, the potential bad cable I'm talking about is the coax between your cable modem, and the little box they stuck on your house.  Loose ends.  Frayed ends.  Something along those lines.  Perhaps corrosion.  Splitter in there with water leaking on it......something like that.  You want a clean run to your house from the street, and a clean run right to your cable modem -- well OK, maybe a wall jack connector.  Otherwise, no splitters.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastJessie 

@ComcastJessie wrote:

@coles1,

We sincerely apologize for the confusion. The mega thread you are discussing is in reference to a proactive post I authored more than 3 years ago informing our customers about our Terabyte Data Usage Plans. Since the original post, many new posts were being merged there that were discussing individual concerns about data overages. While we can certainly understand customer's desire to communicate about this issue with other users, it can make it extremely difficult for our care teams to provide assistance to customers reporting needing assistance with their accounts and their individual data usage.

Since data usage is so specialized to an individual's online habits it simply does not make sense to allow speculation or the concern that one customer's data usage habits can be the same as any other customer. 

If you would like specifics with your account data usage, our CSA department can provide some additional insights into how data is being accounted for on your account. You can contact them directly at 1-877-807-6581 from 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM ET, 7 days a week. 

**UPDATE 10/1/2019**

We sincerely appreciate all the comments. As of today, October 1st, 2019, the data meter tool is working as designed. If there is an update to this or additional information to share we will be sure to update this message and the marked Best Answer on the mega thread mentioned in the original post. 

We ask that if you have individual concerns about your account's data usage and are in need of employee assistance, please author a new post here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/bd-p/YHN

So our team can better assist your individual needs. 

I spent over an hour on the phone last night, those people are clueless and just reading off a script.  My family consistently uses between 500 and 800 gigs per month.  Somehow, last month, September, we used over 1200 gigs.  I was watching our data usage closely on the Xfi app and I limit when certain devices can and cannot connect to my Wifi.  I woke up on 9/1/2019 at 9am and somehow had 21 gigs of data already charged to my account.  Ok, let's give Xfinity the benefit of doubt and say that was from the previous day, Sunday.  By 8PM, my data usage had gone up to 63 gigs!  By 9 am on 9/2, our data usage had gone up to 100 gigs!  In a 24 hour period, we supposedly used 80 gigs of data, when we normally use 25 to 30?  Using Xfinity's own data estimator tool, that would mean we watched 10 hours of 4k video,  or 80 hours of HD video.  We watched NO 4k video in the last 72 hours.  Somehow, Xfinity thinks we watched 80 hours of HD tv in 24 hours.

75% of our use is from Roku devices.  In the last 72 hours, only one has been used at a time, no dual streaming.  Our laptops and phone show very little data usage.   There are no unknown devices connected to my wifi or router.  This is an issue with how our data is being calculated.   <Edited>

Frequent Visitor

I agree, totally. Just stopped home for a minute, not enough to do much but look since I was logged in. I used 64GB in 2 days. I disconnected my router from the modem totally and want to see when I get home if it stayed. In any case, this is a real issue, and I highly dount we are all in the same area lol 

Regular Contributor

Keep in mind that Xfinity says on their meter "Data used in the last 24 hours may not be displayed", so if you turn your modem off for a few hours, and the number went up, then that's what they're going to tell you.  Now if you turn it off for more than 24 hours, then check the meter for a baseline of data usage, then leave it off again for more than another 24 hours, and it still kept going up, then that would be much more interesting!

Frequent Visitor

@strega7 wrote:

Keep in mind that Xfinity says on their meter "Data used in the last 24 hours may not be displayed", so if you turn your modem off for a few hours, and the number went up, then that's what they're going to tell you.  Now if you turn it off for more than 24 hours, then check the meter for a baseline of data usage, then leave it off again for more than another 24 hours, and it still kept going up, then that would be much more interesting!

I get that it can take 24 hours for data usage to show up.  However, that still doesn't explain how I supposedly used 84 gigs over 30 hours, which is almost 4 times my normal usage for that day and the previous day. 

Regular Contributor

A lot of people are reporting this issue - but by no means all  of comcast's customers - so it is probably some sort of error in their system.   If enough people report it perhaps they will figure out what they have in common and fix it.

Frequent Visitor

Even this summer, when my kids were home all day watching tv all day, we never exceeded our data cap.  We consistently average 25 to 30 gigs per day.  However, that average takes Saturdays into account, when we watch at least one, and sometimes 2 4k HDR movies.  So those Saturdays are brining up our average.  There is NO WAY we used 80 gigs of data over a 30 hour period when we watched ZERO 4k movies and our total use of HD movies was only 8 hours.  XFI says 75 percent of our data use came from the Rokus.  HD movies don't use that much data!

New Poster

Thanks for sharing 

Regular Visitor

Xfinity is also showing 3x higher than normal data usage on my account for the month of September.  In fact, for the first two days of October is says I used 18 GB of data....What ??? I use 18 GB of data in 2 weeks...not 2 days. 

Regular Visitor

Today I went to the Xfinity store in person to ask around. I went in saying “I know this isn’t in your scope of work, but I really need to know what’s going on” Turns out I was the 10th person to come in and ask today, and these data spikes are affecting the entire city. I recommend going to talk to a person face to face on this issue if you are able to. I finally have 100% peace of mind. This is not my fault and this is not my problem. I just want Comcast to fix this issue and to issue us back the courtesy month.
Contributor

@jorti299 wrote:
 data spikes are affecting the entire city.

Yeah.  That's why I'm wondering if it's bot traffic.  The guy a couple back says his neighbors too, kind of implies the same subnet.  Some kind of broadcast or amplification attack with malformed packets.

We need more people that will packet sniff when it happens, and are willing to install a firewall like pfSense on a separate box so the traffic will be apparent in real time.  Right now, I'm not seeing it.  I'm primed to capture though when/if it does again. 

You could just call it a billing mistake, or a database bug, but I suspect it's a bit more complex than that. 

Regular Contributor

There are enough people reporting the counters still going up with their modem disconnected from the cable to make it seem like a comcast error in their tracking system in at least some cases.