LGLDSR's profile

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

Re: New XB7 Gateway

I have the XB-7, Blast, etc. Wired I'm pulling ~300Mbps. WiFi from 20' away about 70Mbps.

Comcast / Xfinity, just retired after 40 years as a Network Administrator with years at four Fortune-500 Corporations so I know a *bit* about networking. Any input greatly appreciated but please spare me the basics.

Thanks.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

74 Messages

4 years ago

Just ran speed test.  Hard wired - 694MB download  Wifi through a Plume pod - 100MB download.

Still wish the pods had a way to force  a connection to them, meaning my laptop is 10 feet from XB7 and it takes a while to learn it is a better conection point when going to wifi.  Oh my, we used to have 56kbs dial up 🙂

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Wardman wrote:

Thanks - no option to manually add....  I tried.  But last night it came on line.  I'm rollling with it for now and see how it goes.

Sure there is...

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Go to Xfinity xFi
Go to Network (3 Signal Bars Icon)
Click Pencil icon on top right
Check use 2 different wifi names for 2.4 and 5
Type in the fields for your names and passwords for 2.4 and 5.
That works.
Then check 10.0.0.1
Go to connection then wifi and the changed also applied there.
Go to your device wifi and you will see both that you set up and can connect.

Contributor

• 

74 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, but that defeats the purpose of mesh.   No?

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

4 years ago

What is the success level with Xfi Pods and the XB7? I picked up one 6/9 and attempted install 3 times over the following weekend. Each time I would add any pods the overall system speed would decrease to ~1mb up and down (even at the gateway). I ran out of of time and went back to the XB6 and all is fine other than issues I have always had. I was hoping the XB7 would fix some things. I did note that the firmware updated and it rebooted after install and then I had WiFi6/802,11ax capability. It was around that time that I started having issues with the total system and pods. I think wired Ethernet was fine the entire time? I found a couple other folks that have received defective units so I thought I would ask. If there is yet another newer firmware out then I might try it again but I probably need to try an entire new unit? And maybe that would be a better use of my time? I've been unsussessful to get this issue escalated and I was busy and on vacation before now. The thought of having to go back to the store, again, and swap is not desirable. Guess I will try next week when I will be near one.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

4 years ago

@Wardman wrote:

Yes, but that defeats the purpose of mesh.   No?

With pods you have to have the SSID the same for both 2.4 an 5 so in my case and issues that would fix the problem but it would also diable my pods. At least that is how it is with the XB6. I can't make the XB6 do that unless I remove all my pods and that is now not an option as I use the Ethernet port on one to run my solar monitoring as my old power line Ethernet devices gave up the ghost (or at least wore out or there is some new line interfearence that dosn't allow them to reach that far anymore?) 

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

4 years ago

@ComcastJonathan wrote:

Still no joy? Have you attempted to use a Cat6e cable to isolate the issue to the WiFi, or swapped XB7 boxes yet?

@ComcastJonathan Please see my post about issues with pods killing the XB7. I'm wondering what the failure rate has been with the XB7 and it sounds like I really should get it swapped out? Has there been any newer firmware released since Early June (spcifically since June 13th-14th?)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here