somegeek's profile

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

Monday, March 9th, 2020 7:00 PM

Closed

Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

3/13/19 - TL;DR - This morning at 600. I used the xFi App to issue a restart to my modem and I'm back at 950. Hope Tier 3 folks can find out why my connection package is being set to a lower speed. Curious how long this will stay at 950 as well.

3/12/20 - TL;DR - xfinity was autoprovisioning my modem for the 400Mbps tier even though my account has reflected the 1000Mbps teir for over a week.  This has been escalated to tier 3 support.  Today's Post 

I ordered 1000Mbps service... the modem showed up, I installed it, activated it, changed to bridge mode... I was only getting 600Mbps via https://speedtest.xfinity.com/.

I have a newly built gaming PC hardwired to my router -> modem.  No issues transfering at 1gig between my machines on my LAN.  My speedtests to xfinity have been up to 950 at times but not solid... story follows...

Ticket #1 - I called in, was on for probably and hour going through the dialogue/troubleshooting... eventually after all the stuff we tried, the tech pushed an 'advanced config' to my modem and after a restart I was at 950Mbps.

Ticket #2 - few days later - same issue - stuck at 600Mbps - call in - 30 minutes of dialogue and was then assured the tech will fix all issues. They told me that my gigabit service was not yet activated... even though they shipped me a modem, I activated it and was at 950Mbps prior. They told me that 30 minutes later, I should be good after they were going to make some changes. I was not good later on... still at 600Mbps.

Ticket #3 - I called in again and explained everything that's happened so far, they ran a few tests... at that time they scheduled a dispatch.

Tech visit - He proved out all coax from my modem location to the curb. All levels good, running clean.  He even put on a pad to fine tune to get me closer to the middle of the acceptable range. He put his xfinity speed test device on the modem and only hit 600Mbps.  At that time, the tech swapped to another modem he had in his truck(same model as the other) and with his test set hit 950Mbps.

All good...

Forward three days... new modem, running at 600Mbps....

Ticket #4 - Chatted with someone... explained all of the above. They told me they'd escalate to level 2 and if I got disconnected, they'd call me back.... they didn't call back.

Ticket #5 - I called back in and they had no record of that call 15 minutes ago.  They told me I had the wrong modem... even though they provided it. Was on for over 1.5 hours and asked for a manager...  spoke with a supervisor... he verified everything looks good config-wise and said I have a Technicolor modem CGM4140 and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

Anyone ran in to this 600Mbps issue and had it resolved permanently?

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

4 years ago

Btw 950Mbps at the time of posting last night,   this morning 318..   speedtest result ID 9208750297

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

4 years ago

that exactly why you your not getting the speeds to your nighthawk.....

and some lovely moderator deleted my post it looks like cause I cant find my original post anymore.  See what happens when you take the time to inform the public..

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

4 years ago

Took it off bridge mode and my nighthawk is still performing like doo doo . Decided to turn the WiFi on the gateway and run both. The gateway is now running better than my nighthawk... how?

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

4 years ago

Welp I tried posting the Mimo tables and channel selection width..  seems like photo was too big...  

its available here 802.11ac+Data+Rates+%26+SNR+Requirements.jpg

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

4 years ago

you need to hold the reset button down on the Modem for 40 seconds to factory reset the modem.   Once you goto the page 10.0.0.1 it wll act like it needs to be activated.  Enter your Wifi SSID name you want and telephone number for the text message to go out..  once that completed you'll be in router mode..  you can disbable the local wifi 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrum wifi in the gui for cleaner airwaves...  otherwise you'd have a high chance of overlapping channels impeding your nighthawk chosen bands.   You should now be at ~950Mbps over hardwired and whatever the full potential of your nighthawk router bandwidth may be given the distance you are from said device.   however, by doing this.  You are now behind a double NAT.   which means UPnP will not work correctly,  Preventing you from accessing certian applications, and gaming Xbox live, Playstation network.  etc...   everything that goes out is now taking two hops,  raising your ping.  your also restricted by whatever router features are enabled via the xfi app.  This is the exact opposite of where you should be when trying to use bridge mode.  Even DMZ still gives Private address.  and port 2 on xfinity home.  172.16.12.1 was my provided private address.  Still double NAT...

Spoke with an executive today and mentioned these threads.  They are looking at them..  What they are willing to do about it is to still be seen.  Covoid19 has them tied since they want to send technicians out to my house..  However as we had all experienced,  that did not solve the issue.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

4 years ago

Secondly,  wanted to mention that the wireless card in the XB6 isn't all that bad.  Not premium but not bad.  

If you want to know exactly how fast your nighthawk could be is run an iperf test between two machines..  one hard wired and the other wireless..  that would give you a Bandwidth perspective...

The same could be done on the xb6...   However I assure you the nighthawk would probably out perform the xb6 given you understand how wifi MIMO works.

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

4 years ago

I know nighthawk should outperform xb6 so why isn’t it?

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

4 years ago

That’s all stuff I tried nothing works

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

I'm using and ORBI with satellite  Latest test result (21:28 Mar 30, 2020) DOWNLOAD 852.43Mbps UPLOAD 41.63Mbps. Better than it was but still not as fast as the comcast router.... (WiFi MUCH better that the comcast router with three xfi pods....(there for sale) 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have the same issue, decided to use the chat feature of Xfinity and so my adventure started from my text capture time at 3:59pm to 6:03pm with no resolve. See response below.

CHAT STARTED AT Mar 29, 2020 3:59:26 PM and ended at 6:03

6:03:20 PM Miezhel : I appreciate your cooperation in troubleshooting with me. Here in Comcast, we make sure that we always provide what's best for our customers. I just want to make sure everything is covered while you still have me, I hope I haven been a great help, have I addressed your concerns?

As like all of you a tech visited checked everything swapped modem, Bing! 950! Bridge the modem down to 600 - 400. Unbridged --> restart back up to 950. Bridge the modem again, down to 500 where is stays now bridged or unbridged. Thus I started to research through some threads.

Going to try a couple of the recommendations. I'll let you know what my results are. I agree with you all its bad firmware on XB6.

The resolve from the tech.... you'll love this....again this is towards the end of our chat session.

5:49:28 PM Miezhel : Fireman_5000, let me see if I can help you enroll to our home wifi assessment.
5:49:39 PM Miezhel : This will be a better option for you.
5:49:43 PM Miezhel : One moment please.
5:50:22 PM Fireman_5000 : what is that going to do? Wifi is fine, its the download speeds
5:50:38 PM Miezhel : The Home WiFi Assessment algorithm runs for at least 14 days to monitor performance over time. The WiFi Assessment produces one of two possible results: xFi Pods Recommended and Coverage Looks Great - No Pods Recommended.
5:51:16 PM Miezhel : Xfinity xFi Advantage customers will receive an email the next day after activating their xFi Advanced Gateway, highlighting the benefits of xFi Advantage and notifying them that their Home WiFi Assessment is currently taking place. (Note: WiFi Assessments for xFi Advantage customers with the xFi Gateway (3rd Generation) will start around March 2020).
5:51:44 PM Miezhel : Note: Customers should connect all their WiFi-enabled devices as soon as possible following activation. Following this initial assessment period, xFi Advantage customers receive additional emails with more information about their xFi network performance. Some customers may receive recommendations to further optimize their network.
5:52:04 PM Miezhel : After the WiFi Assessment is complete, the results are sent to the primary email address on file. Depending on the results, a customer will receive one of the following emails:
Email 1 - Coverage Looks Great
Our results show reliable WiFi coverage throughout the home.
Email 2 - xFi Pods Recommendation
Our results show coverage could be improved by xFi Pods. This email will include a link to order xFi Pods at no additional cost. Once the customer completes the form, the xFi Pods will arrive in five to seven business days.
5:53:42 PM Fireman_5000 : If I'm connected directly and I narrowed it down to the modem with Ethernet direct connect to a laptop. It's not the wireless I have a problem with. Upload speed is consistent, download is not. Again nothing is attached to the system except my phone and this less than a year old laptop.
5:54:18 PM Miezhel : Oh, alright.
5:54:25 PM Miezhel : Thanks for explaining it to me.

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

4 years ago

Jesus Christ sounds like my Xfinity chat experiences

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

Open your chat with them via Twitter DM.  https://twitter.com/comcastcares?lang=en  They can scroll up easily to see the previous dialogue explaining the situation and it keeps it all in one place.

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

That would be great, but they keep asking the same cookie cutter questions.  I've had several ask me the same questions even after telling them at the beginning of the conversation I'm wired.

Comcast: Are you wireless or wired?

Me: I'm wired.

Comcast: Are you using a the hot spot?

Me: No, I'm wired.

Comcast: Have you tried deleting your cookies and internet cache?

Me: Are you kidding me?  Is this dial-up and we're on AOL now?

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

4 years ago

LMAO YES your saved cookies is causing an internet overload to the point it doesn’t work! That’s what it is.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

Ask them to 'read the dialogue above' and then start there.  I had to stop a number of the times I called in to tell them that they're going over what has been gone over before.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here