Tatyana1's profile

Contributor

• 

148 Messages

Wednesday, November 11th, 2020 9:00 PM

Closed

Ethernet port question

I have a new wireless gateway model TG4482A. Port 4 is marked with a red stripe and any device I connect to it shows as orange - amber light,  which usually means a slower connection. Anyone knows is this a special port? And should I plug anything into it? 

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

It's a 2.5 gigabit port and it's currently unnecessary.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Tatyana1 wrote:

Yes it is enabled but l'm not sure what effect it has on my devices. I tested few devices they work I can't tell the difference between that port and any other one. The only thing that is different is that anything that's plugged in there blinks orange-amber light vs the green light that other ethernet ports radiate. 

There's no effect unless they can do 2.5 gig.... It won't blink green if they can't. It only will blink green if there is a 2.5 gig port negotiaion. The device that is connected to it and the ethernet cables must be capable. The other ports blink green because you have a 1 gigabit port negotiation there (very common).... You are sweating stuff for no reason.... I can't make things any clearer than I have....

One more question about port which in the admin tool says "Associate port 2 with xfinity home network" What do they mean by home network? Do they mean home security? 

Yes. You said that you don't have it so just use it like any other port...

Contributor

• 

148 Messages

4 years ago

But 2.5 gig means very powerful so shouldn't blink green and not amber? Usually 100mbps devices blink amber.  So is it OK to plug devices there or its not recommended?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Sure. You can use it but again, it's not needed unless you get 2.5 gig speed from Comcast (not currently) or you can transfer files on your LAN between computers / device at that speed. All devices and all of the ethernet LAN ports and cables would need to be capable.

Contributor

• 

148 Messages

4 years ago

I understand its not needed, but can I use it as a normal ethernet port.  I have many devices and I want to utilize all four ports, or will it damage my devices or the modem if I use that particular port? 

Thanks 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

I'm not certain whether or not port number 4 has been enabled by them. Try it and see. Nothing will be damaged. It will either function or not.

You can use an ethernet switch connected to one of the LAN ports if you need more ports;

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Networking-Switches/b?ie=UTF8&node=281414

Contributor

• 

148 Messages

4 years ago

When I log into my admin tool and go to LAN, it says that I can associate ethernet port 2 with home security. I don't have home security so can I use this port for regular devices as normal port? I did not check the box for home security.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Did you read my last post ??? I stated that I didn't know whether or not it is enabled and to give it a try..........

Contributor

• 

148 Messages

4 years ago

So as far as the port with red stripe I can treat it like a regular port and plug any device and it will work normal right?

Contributor

• 

148 Messages

4 years ago

Yes it is enabled but l'm not sure what effect it has on my devices. I tested few devices they work I can't tell the difference between that port and any other one. The only thing that is different is that anything that's plugged in there blinks orange-amber light vs the green light that other ethernet ports radiate. 

One more question about port which in the admin tool says "Associate port 2 with xfinity home network" What do they mean by home network? Do they mean home security? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

3 years ago

@Tatyana1 wrote:

Amber lights means the connection is running at less than the rated speed of the port. This is usually caused by connecting a slower device to it, such as a device with 1Gb or 10/100 Mb. The reason the other ports show green is that they're running at the full 1Gb speed those ports are rated for.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

Didn't I allude to that ???

Contributor

• 

148 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for additional explanation but yes EG did a great job informing me, you both explained well. 

Contributor

• 

148 Messages

3 years ago

So when I connect Roku to ethernet it also blinks orange because Roku is naturally slower device right? Xbox blinks green because like you guys said it has the 1G nagotiation with ethernet port. But Comcast only gives me 200mbps so how does that work in relation to ethernet ports?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

The ports are capable of delivering up to a gig, no matter what Comcast gives you from the WAN. You can make *inter-LAN* file transfers up to a gig.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here