Community Forum

Delayed Ethernet Connection--more

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

Delayed Ethernet Connection--more

This follows up on previous conversations about computers with ethernet connections (not wireless) experiencing delays in getting connected after waking up from sleep. People with both the XB6 and XB7 gateways have been experiencing this problem since mid-December.

If you were contributing to the previous discussion about this, please check in here and let's continue the discussion.  Here is a partial list participants:

@alantrainor1  , @BlackTriad , @Kruunk83 , @TomasNieve , @sjwj , @hjens , @blueaid 

@g-hodgson , @fiero44  , @badcrab  

@BlackTriad  --  Is your gateway still running the updated firmware? Has the updated firmware fixed your problem?

Has anyone else received updated firmware which has fixed this problem?

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

Re: Delayed Ethernet Connection--more

Here are some additional former participants:

@ChuckTC , @ctontar , 

@JordanPz , @jmah20  , @tfs128 , @joelbrown1 

Please let us know if you still have this problem or if it has been fixed (or has just gone away). Thanks.

LifeCycles
Regular Visitor

XB7 user experiencing delayed ethernet connection on all four ports, including different devices. I contacted xfinity and they're sending me another router/modem, same model. Shortly after I found this forum. I might try to use a switch until this issue is resolved.

Model: CGM4331COM

Firmware: CGM4331COM_4.6p2s1_PROD_sey

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

Hello @LifeCycles -- thanks for posting your information.  All of the other XB7 users with this problem  (at least those who have posted on these threads) have the same firmware version you have.

Please let us know what the outcome is with the new XB7. I'm guessing that if the new unit has the same firmware version, you will still have the problem.  We do have reason to believe that a revised firmware version that fixes this problem is on the way but the exact timing is uncertain.

joelbrown1
Regular Visitor

I received a new XB7 router and the problem was gone.

jmah20
Frequent Visitor

Good morning Steve-

As my gateway is still running the problematic firmware...I’m assuming the problem still exists. I have not confirmed as I’m working without issue utilizing an external gigabit switch.
It appears from the previous thread that the issue is corrected under firmware version: CGM4140COM_4.6p7s1_PROD_sey which I do check my version daily but it has yet to be updated.
Once my gateway receives any update I will check and report back.

Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop!

~Joe
hjens
Contributor

Hi Steve,

I had the Ethernet connection time lag with my old XB6 Technicolor modem, traded it in for an XB7 Technicolor three or four weeks ago which cured the problem. Firmware has not changed from CGM4331COM 4.4p12s1

g-hodgson
Regular Contributor

Thanks for restarting the thread Steve.

Everything is still okay with my Arris XB7, though I did look at my current f/w version this morning and noted a change from the previous version. (Not sure when they pushed the update to my modem.) This makes at least two updates I've received since I swapped out my Technicolor XB6 for the Arris XB7 about a month ago. The new version is:

TG4482PC2_4.4p19s2_PROD_sey

For any new users who find this thread in search of help, please know that there are two previous threads regarding this issue. Both are now "locked", but you can still read through the extensive comments that were posted. Here are the links:

Delayed Ethernet Connection - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 3394865

Why is the "delayed Ethernet connection" string locked yet again? - Xfinity Help and Support Forums ...

Greg

alantrainor1
Frequent Visitor

SteveWW,

Thanks for keeping this issue alive in this forum. I still have the delay and still have same firmware version CGM4140COM_4.4p6s1_PROD_sey

sjwj
Regular Visitor

Checking back in.

Problem not resolved. Same firmware: CGM4140COM_4.4p6s1_PROD_sey

And why do these threads keep getting locked? Hmmm...

joelbrown1
Regular Visitor

The XB7 router they sent me that fixed the problem has software version: CGM4331COM_4.4p12s1_PROD_sey on it.

BlackTriad
Frequent Visitor

@SteveWW  and others

I am still on the malfunctioning firmware we all have and I am still experiencing the delay. The test firmware that was pushed to just me did fix the problem but was overwritten the next day.

I received two calls from the home office. One in response to my BBB complaint and one because of my FCC complaint. Both reps wanted to put me in contact with the engineering team and I informed them that I was already put in contact with them. One of the reps said that the new firmware could be pushed out on Monday Feb 8 at the earliest. I told her to get to work and get it done or simply roll back to the older firmware now.

BlackTriad
Frequent Visitor

I will re-post my current gateway information in this thread to keep the thread swapping to a minimum. I did post the other threads in my BBB and FCC complaints and the reps at the home office said they read them. I am sorry but it's probably my fault that the last one was locked.

System Hardware

Model: CGM4140COM
Vendor: Technicolor
Hardware Revision: 1.0
Serial Number: 152930037243100189
Processor Speed: 1503 MHz
DRAM Total Memory: 1024 MB
DRAM Used Memory: 628 MB
DRAM Available Memory: 396 MB
Flash Total Memory: 2048 MB
Flash Used Memory: 161 MB
Flash Available Memory: 1887 MB

System Software Version

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_4.4p6s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4140COM
Packet Cable: 2.0
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this new thread. I've updated my spreadsheet to reflect the new information.

Here is a summary of where things stand:

@joelbrown1  -- Glad that the problem has been resolved for you. Your XB7 firmware (4.4p12s1) is the same as @hjens  who also has reported the problem was fixed.

At least 8 others here have Technicolor XB7's with firmware 4.6p2s1 and all of those units exhibit this problem.

@g-hodgson has an XB7 made by Arris and he's been problem-free, even after two firmware updates. No one else on this thread has a gateway made by Arris.

Those of us on XB6's with this problem (including me) have firmware 4.4p6s1. I'm doing the same as jmah20: I've connected a switch to work-around the problem; I'm checking my firmware version each day (no change yet); if the firmware changes I'll disconnect the switch to see if the problem has been fixed by the firmware change.

A few weeks ago @corgi11  reported that his XB6 firmware was updated to 4.6p5s3 and the problem went away. No one else here has reported that they have that firmware version.

@BlackTriad  has an XB6 with the problem. Last week a tech pushed a new firmware version (4.6p7s1) which fixed the problem but the next day that firmware was overwritten with the earlier version and the problem returned. He is trying to get the newer version restored to his gateway.

g-hodgson
Regular Contributor

No need to apologize, BlackTriad. You were only trying to help a bunch of frustrated folks, to include yourself. The fact that you actually were able to speak with an engineer produced the first tangible evidence that the problem is known, and is being worked on!

Hang in there folks...

fiero44
Frequent Visitor

Well done Steve . Maybe they'll let us continue to track this problem ..

Still have lag of 15-30 seconds and same firmware ...

CGM4140COM

4.4p6s1.PROD_sey

Technicolor

ChuckTC
Frequent Visitor

My connection lag is still present, but seems to have decreased.  I just restarted to check firmware, and was connected after 15 - 20 seconds (down from average of 30 - 45 seconds previously).

My modem specs remain the same as before (no firmware update), recopying here:

Vendor: Technicolor
Hardware Revision: 2.0
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name: CGM4331COM_4.6p2s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4331COM
Packet Cable: 2.0

Thanks for continuing the thread, and keeping us all up to date.  It took me a while to figure out the other thread had been locked.  I only realized when I got my notification about this thread.  Appreciate it!
blueaid
Frequent Visitor

Still on the 4.4p6s1 firmware. 

LifeCycles
Regular Visitor

Swapping my XB7 for a new one that Xfinity Sent me seems to have fixed the problem for now. I have no idea if this new router is behind on firmware, potentially waiting for an update causing it to have the same issue again.

Old XB7

Model: CGM4331COM

Firmware: CGM4331COM_4.6p2s1_PROD_sey

New XB7

Model: CGM4331COM

Firmware: CGM4331COM_4.4p12s1_PROD_sey

Tek
Problem Solver

XB7 30 Second Ethernet Delay

I recently swapped my old XB3 for the new XB7 (White XiFi Gateway). I have a single desktop PC connected via ethernet directly to the XB7. One odd thing I have found is it takes 30 seconds from PC boot for the gateway to establish a connection with the PC. I understand some delay is normal while the PC and gateway connect, but I don't remember my XB3 taking 30 seconds to establish a internet connection after Windows 10 loads to the login screen. 

Is this normal for the XB7? It is not the PC loading because when I unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back in the XB7 still takes 30 seconds to establish an Internet connection to the PC even when the PC is fully booted and logged in. 

Thanks for any help on this.

Tek
ComcastKaitlan
Official Employee

Re: XB7 30 Second Ethernet Delay

Hello, @Tek ! I'm happy to hear that you upgraded from the XB3 to the XB7; that is odd about taking that long to get a connection, though. Is the ethernet cable new as well? Have you done any resets with your Modem? Let me know!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Tek
Problem Solver

I am restarting it now. The cable is the same one that came with the modem. I can swap it to another after the reboot and get back to you.

Tek
ComcastKaitlan
Official Employee

@Tek Sounds like a plan! Thank you for taking these steps and I look forward to your results.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Tek
Problem Solver

@ComcastKaitlan reboot and cable change did not cause it to connect faster. 

Windows connects to the ehternet port within a few seconds, but then the remainder of the 30 second delay is waiting for the XB7 to provide internet. 

Windows 10 shows connected to the gateway, no internet, for about 25 seconds. 

I timed the delay and it is 30 seconds on the button everytime.

No issues on wireless or connection speed. The port is sending 1GB speed. It is just this annoying delay at connection start. 

I also tried other ports on the XB7 and the delay is the same on all of them. 

Tek
ComcastKaitlan
Official Employee

@Tek Thank you for all of these detail and for trying everything listed here! I would like to look at things on a more in-depth level and run a few diagnostics. Please send me a Message by clicking on "ComcastKaitlan" and then selecting "Message" with you First and Last Name and Address. I look forward to working with you!

Tek
Problem Solver

I just sent you a message as requested.

My friend says his XB6 does the same. Maybe this is normal or somebody else with an XB7 can chime in?

Tek
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@LifeCycles-- glad that the new XB7 does not have the problem, but it does appear that this new unit has older firmware than your original unit (4.4... vs. 4.6...), so yes, if newer firmware gets pushed to your unit you may find that the problem has returned.  Hopefully that won't happen or perhaps you'll be pushed to a version later than 4.6p2s1 which will include the fix to this problem.

But at least for now, the problem is gone so that's good.

Tek
Problem Solver

Hello everyone,

I just replaced my XB3, which workerd perfectly for an XB7. Now my Windows 10 PC connected directly to the gateway by ethernet is experiencing a 30 second delay before getting a Internet connection. Rebooted the gateway, changed cables, tested a old Window 7 laptop, and the results are the same.

XB7 (White Gateway)

Firmware: CGM4331COM_4.6p2s1_PROD_sey

Tek
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

Hello @Tek -- thanks for posting your info.  Your XB7 firmware is the same as other XB7 users here who have the same problem. This problem also exists on the XB6. We have every reason to believe that this is a firmware problem (not Windows, not ethernet cables, etc.).

There are indications (but not explicit confirmation) that Comcast has an updated firmware version that fixes this problem. The timing for us to receive this fix is unclear.

Tek
Problem Solver

Has Comcast officially acknowledged this? I would feel better if they did and I will just wait for an update. Happy with my XB7 otherwise.

Tek
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

As far as I know, Comcast has not officially acknowledged this.

Last week someone on this thread got a call from a Comcast tech who offered a test version of firmware that is supposed to fix this problem. That firmware was pushed to the user's equipment and he confirmed that the problem was fixed. The tech said that Comcast would be pushing out this firmware fix on a rolling basis but it would take a while to get to everyone.

Alas, overnight Comcast overwrote that test firmware on the customer's gateway with the older firmware version so the problem returned for that user. Leaving aside the mistake of replacing the good firmware with the buggy prior version, it does appear that Comcast knows about this problem and has engineered a fix. That call from the tech is reassuring but at least for me, that doesn't rise to the level of "official acknowledgement."

In particular, no Comcast employee has posted here to tell all of us that a fix is on the way.  We certainly would appreciate such a post.

ComcastJosephW
Official Employee

Hi there, SteveWW, thanks so much for these details and my sincere apologies for the delay in response time on our end. I'm glad to hear that our tech was able to finally reassure you about the firmware fix as we are constantly pushing maintenance updates on your equipment that typically occur between the early hours of the morning so that your equipment's firmware is all up to date. Should you run into any further problems in the future, we also have some tools on the backend that can help so please feel free to give us a shout at anytime. Our team is here to support you 24/7 and will be standing by. Thanks again for all your time and patience!

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@ComcastJosephW  -- thanks very much for posting here!

To be clear, no tech from Comcast has given me reassurance about fixing this problem. I was reporting that another person who has this problem (and has participated in this thread) stated that he had such a conversation with a tech. Although that is good to hear, it's not the same as a definitive statement by Comcast to everyone who has reported this problem that a fix is on the way.

Would you be able to check the status of this problem in Comcast's database and report back to us here, on this thread, hopefully stating that there is a fix and conveying at least a general expectation for when we might expect to receive the updated firmware? All of us would really appreciate that.

Here is a description of the problem--hopefully this will help you locate it in the database:

When connected to the gateway with an ethernet cable (not wireless), there is a delay in connecting to the internet when the computer wakes from sleep. This delay is typically 30 to 45 seconds although some people have reported slightly longer or shorter delays.  This problem affects both PC's and Macs and it exists on both XB6 and XB7 gateways. This problem exists for all ports on the gateway.  The problem appears to be related to specific firmware versions on the XB6 and XB7. The problem first appeared for most people around mid-December.

If you need more information to locate this problem in the database, please post here to tell us what else is needed. Thanks!

ComcastJoeTru
Official Employee

Hello SteveWW. Apologies this issue persists. I would be happy to review the issue you (and the others here) are reporting. We currently do not have a declared 'known issue' with a Delayed Ethernet Connection on our Advanced Wireless Gateways. I'd like to help further with on this issue that is impacting you. I can assist with submitting an Advanced Repair ticket for you so our internal repair team can look into getting this fixed for you. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name and service address, so I can assist you. You can send me a private message by clicking my name (ComcastJoeTru) and then click "Send a private message" to private message me.

Tek
Problem Solver

I was messaged last night by a Comcast employee. I just read all my messages and they said it "appears" to be a known issue. 

I just grabbed a old Windows 7 laptop I had in my basement and it also has a 30 second delay before identifying the network.  Also, there a several reports on Reddit as well. 

Is there no way for Comcast to contact the engineer that is helping the other person this thread? Seems like a waste to escalate it to Advanced Repair. They will probably just tell us to swap the modem until you get lucky enough to get one without the bugged firmware. 

Tek
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@ComcastJoeTru-- I have sent you a private message, as you requested. As I noted in that message (and will state publicly here), this is the fourth time I have responded to such a request (three other Comcast people have made similar requests, going back to December). Each time I was told that a ticket would be created but it appears that hasn't happened. I hope the needed steps are taken now.

As I noted in a previous post, at least one person here received a test version of firmware which did fix the problem, so it does appear that at some level within Comcast there is awareness of this issue. But we don't know if that firmware version has been officially blessed and designated as an official release that will be rolled out to everyone.  Can you tell us what is happening with that?

sepirater
Regular Visitor

My XB-6 does the same thing. Between that and a few other issues, and the lack of Ethernet ports, I put it in bridge mode and use my own router now. Don't have an XB-7 and can't help, just thought I would chime in to let you know you aren't going crazy. Just a guess, but perhaps the XB series needs to detect a device on the Ethernet port before it turns it on to full duplex 1gbps out of standby, and it takes some time for your PC to handshake with it. Since a router would be always on, problem solved 🙂

Nickyboombox
New Poster

Same thing happens on many of my devices with the XB7 with the longest delay being on my AppleTv 4k box i have connected via ethernet (nearly 1 minute.) Odd thing is it wasn't always like this. I believe it only started happening a couple months ago and I've had the XB7 for nearly a year now. Not sure if this is related or not but the XB7 gets extremely hot. I measured 145°F on the top exhaust plate alone. I can only imagine how hot the internal components were. I'm on my third one now as the first 2 became defective after just a couple months of use which i suspect was due to overheating. This 3rd XB7 i received right around the time the delay started happening. Note: I never had this issue with the first 2 XB7's. Though upon installing this 3rd XB7 i configured a couple old pc fans to push air through it which seemed to have solved the overheating issue, but now i have this delay connection problem. I know it's not the end of the world waiting 45 seconds, just annoying and will continue looking for a solution
ComcastDena
Official Employee

Thank you for providing us with your experience. I would like to look into the delay you are having. To assist you further please send me a private message and include your full name and service address, so I can assist you. Send me a private message by clicking my profile name (ComcastDena), then click "Send a message". Thank you for your continued patience, and I hope to hear from you soon!

ChuckTC
Frequent Visitor

Looks like I received a firmware update overnight, and now appear to have no connection delay.  I'll keep an eye on it, and report back if it goes wonky again.

New firmware:   Software Image Name: CGM4331COM_4.6p5s1_PROD_sey

Thanks again for all the posts about this.  I was going a little nuts thinking I had a PC problem before I found these threads.

ComcastAmira
Official Employee

@ChuckTC, we appreciate you replying on this thread informing us that this delay issue is no longer present on your end. Please be sure to report back if you do run into this again. Also please be sure to reach back out to us Publicly for any future issues or concerns. Thank you! 

Kruunk83
Frequent Visitor

I have this firmware and have the delay when I boot my pc.
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@ChuckTC  -- that's great news! Glad that the problem has been resolved on your XB7.  Hopefully the rest of us will see updated firmware soon.

g-hodgson
Regular Contributor

Hmmm, Kruunk 83. Just wondering how it reacts coming out of the sleep mode? And have you had this f/w since the beginning?

Hate to even mention it, but did you reboot the gateway?
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@Kruunk83 wrote:

>> I have this firmware and have the delay when I boot my pc.

Could you clarify what you mean by "this firmware?"

If you are referring to the post by ChuckTC, his new firmware is 4.6p5s1

The spreadsheet that I've been maintaining shows that your XB7 firmware is 4.6p2s1

Did I record your firmware version incorrectly or has your firmware since been updated to 4.6p5s1?

In any case, if you still have the delayed connection problem, could you confirm what your current firmware version is? Thanks.

corgi11
Problem Solver

Comcast has just downloaded an earlier version of software for my xb6 and now the problem is back.

This is what they downloaded today and it has the delay:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.4p10s2_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

This is the version I had for the last 2 weeks and it worked fine no delay:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.6p5s3_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

I wish they would put back the version they downloaded 2 weeks ago. This is becoming a royal pain.

g-hodgson
Regular Contributor

Comcast Anyone:

I would like to suggest that we get 1-2 Forum reps to see this problem through to resolution. A single source for relaying information is important, especially when it's clear that many folks are having this problem.

I'm not trying to be critical. But this problem has been going on, and has been reported on multiple threads, since mid December. And customers (SteveWW) have spent many hours trying to help YOU resolve the issue for US. Numerous Comcast reps have reached out on these threads in hopes of helping us. I've lost count of the number of reps, but it's gotta be at least 5-6 now.

Reading posts from the well-meaning reps who are trying to help, it just seems like there's a serious disconnect. Some reps say the problem isn't known. Others say it is. Others say send me a PM in hopes of helping a single customer. IT'S NOT JUST ONE CUSTOMER HAVING THE PROBLEM.

I know that in the grand scheme of things, this appears to be a mild annoyance. But for some of your customers, it's more than that because they are working from home trying to give support to THEIR clients, so connection delays like this are more than an annoyance.

Some people have gone out and purchased an unmanaged switch, because that has been a workaround. Just sayin'...

Please don't lock this thread because of my message. This has been done twice already because someone didn't like some of the comments. Duly noted.

Just trying to offer some constructive advice.

Thanks,
Greg
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@corgi11-- that's unfortunate!

It appears that Comcast does routine scans of gateways and those scans force every unit to be on the designated "released version" of firmware, even though a unit may already be on a later (and bug-free) release that has not yet been granted "released version" status.

This happened to another person here who (via a Comcast tech) received a new version of firmware which fixed the problem... then his firmware was downgraded to the old version that same night and of course the problem returned just as yours did.

Perhaps you can call tech support and ask them to re-push the good version to you. If you are able to get that done, I've seen someone refer to an "exception list" which--if you can get on it--may prevent your unit from going through the downgrade you just experienced.

corgi11
Problem Solver

It is amazing to me that so few people are responding to this problem. Amazon has sold out of all the unmanaged switches that were mentioned in these threads and they raised the prices of all the other ones. I am a senior with underlying medical  conditions and I will not go into a Comcast store for this problem. I won't mail order one because it is a crapshoot on which unit you will get. So as many others have done I bought the last 5 port Netgear unmanged switch that Amazon had for a reasonablr price. I would assume any unmanaged Gigabyte switch would work.

There seems to be a lot of people out there with this problem only they are not responding on this thread.

Comcast keeps closing these threads but the problem still persists. Could someone from Comcast tell us why these threads are being closed?

ComcastBillie
Official Employee

This thread is not locked and we will keep it open until a resolution has been found. Your patience is truly appreciated while we work to determine the underlying cause of this issue and hope to have it corrected as soon as possible. If you have not done so already please be sure to send us a private message for further assistance/investigation, along with getting your account linked to the advanced repair ticket created. You can send us a private message by clicking on my hand, "ComcastBillie".