geoff-'s profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, December 12th, 2019 8:00 PM

Closed

Added xFi Advantage to remove data cap — am I required to use the xFi Gateway?

I've been hitting my 1TB cap, and was offered to sign up for xFI Advantage for $15 and get the unlimited data addon for $10, instead of having to pay $50. However, I'd really rather keep using my owned modem... can I just put the xFi Gateway in a closet or something, or will I be required to stop using my modem?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@geoff- wrote:

I've been hitting my 1TB cap, and was offered to sign up for xFI Advantage for $15 and get the unlimited data addon for $10, instead of having to pay $50. However, I'd really rather keep using my owned modem... can I just put the xFi Gateway in a closet or something, or will I be required to stop using my modem?

Since you're paying for the gateway lease regardless, I suppose there's nothing to technically stop you from using your own modem (since a bridged gateway doesn't lose the unlimited data), but you will lose the benefits of xFi advantage. 

I can't guarantee this will work, however. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Gateways not "modems".

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

@EG wrote:

Gateways not "modems".

Arris refers to its products as "modems". Additionally, all the products that Comcast issues (which they call "gateways") are combination "modem"-router-WiFi APs, which confuses the matter further. The product I own is a SB8200, so the parlance I prefer is "modem" when I'm referring to devices that only serve the single purpose.

https://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb8200/

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Not sure why my screen grap is a yellow hazard sign... so just trust me, I guess.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Not exactly sure why the last thread (https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Added-xFi-Advantage-to-remove-data-cap-am-I-required-to-use/td-p/3289808) was locked... but to confirm, it is indeed possible. Quite easy, in fact. Ordered the hardware,  but didn't activate the xFi Gateway. I called billing support, saying the Unlimited Data line item wasn't on my bill. She responded I had to have their Gateway. I said I had it right in front of me; she asked for SN# and MAC ID, but didn't ask me to activate it or anything... that was all that was needed. Now I don't have to use Comcast's DNS servers! 🙂

So yes, this can be done.

-G

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 9.08.54 PM.jpg

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I am trying to do the same thing. I previously had my own modem, router/AP and a second AP. Was in the same boat with data cap overages, so we switched to xFi Advantage for an extra $20, which also included a bump up in speed tier from 200 to 300. I tried the xFi gateway for 2 weeks, but it is really slow and my smart devices keep going offline, requiring reboots. The xFi gateway user-configurable settings are not nearly as robust as a regular router/AP, and the adjustments I was able to make did not help. I removed the xFi gateway and went back to my old equipment this morning. There was a noticeable speed difference.

My bill doesn't look anything like yours, though. I don't have a line item for "unlimited data." Mine shows $70 for "Extreme" internet, and under Equipment Rentals shows $90 for xFi Advantage. But the total due is $90.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

@geoff- wrote:

Not exactly sure why the last thread (https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Added-xFi-Advantage-to-remove-data-cap-am-I-required-to-use/td-p/3289808) was locked... but to confirm, it is indeed possible. Quite easy, in fact. Ordered the hardware,  but didn't activate the xFi Gateway. I called billing support, saying the Unlimited Data line item wasn't on my bill. She responded I had to have their Gateway. I said I had it right in front of me; she asked for SN# and MAC ID, but didn't ask me to activate it or anything... that was all that was needed. Now I don't have to use Comcast's DNS servers! 🙂

So yes, this can be done.

-G

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 9.08.54 PM.jpg

@geoff- 

Is it still the case that this is working for you? Have you been through a whole billing cycle and your bill and unlimited internet are unchanged? 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

@Kgjulie2 wrote:

I am trying to do the same thing. I previously had my own modem, router/AP and a second AP. Was in the same boat with data cap overages, so we switched to xFi Advantage for an extra $20, which also included a bump up in speed tier from 200 to 300. I tried the xFi gateway for 2 weeks, but it is really slow and my smart devices keep going offline, requiring reboots. The xFi gateway user-configurable settings are not nearly as robust as a regular router/AP, and the adjustments I was able to make did not help. I removed the xFi gateway and went back to my old equipment this morning. There was a noticeable speed difference.

My bill doesn't look anything like yours, though. I don't have a line item for "unlimited data." Mine shows $70 for "Extreme" internet, and under Equipment Rentals shows $90 for xFi Advantage. But the total due is $90.

So, actually, something similar happened to me. My bill no longer has the "unlimited data" line item either. However, under my "usage meter" it still has the language "if you choose to cancel unlimited data...", and I've yet to be charged any more overages. So, fingers crossed, I guess...

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 5.23.59 AM.png

1 Attachment

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the update. Glad it's working for you.

I have not been able to get it to work with my modem, nor with Xfinity's XB6 rented modem. I am still having CONSTANT drops and outages. My speeds are below 10 Mbps (sometimes even below 1). I have the pods. I have followed all the troubleshooting. I have spent hours on the phone with Comcast. I've been disconnected from the calls more times than I can count, and they never call back. You just have to get in line and start all over.  I work from home and just can't be wasting time trying to recover from the constant outages, which I never had before with my own equipment. 

Sorry for the rant! Again, glad it's working for you, and crossing my fingers that it continues.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

@geoff- any update now that it's been months later?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here