agreenberg2000's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 11th, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

Streaming error TVAPP-00236 - unsupported display

I have been using xFinity streaming successfully for years, and suddenly I have a problem today.  My setup has not changed, I have not installed any new software, there have been no changes to my network.

I have a MacBook Pro (2019), running Catalina 10.15.5

Running Safari 13.1.1

External display is a Cisco DX80, connected via (genuine) Apple display adapter and HDMI

When I try to stream content while the external display is connected, I get error code TVAPP-00236, with the message that my display is unsupported and I should connect a supported display or use an Apple display adapter.

I have rebooted both the MacBook and the DX80.  I have plugged the display adapter into each of the four USB-C ports on the Mac.  I have tried another Apple display adapter, all result in the same error message.

Hmmm, well, this display, in this very same configuration worked just fine yesterday (and for a couple of years), and I AM using an Apple display adapter.

Streaming works just fine if I disconnect the display (however, that is not ideal, since I need the display real estate.)

Thanks in advance for any insight into what might be happening here, and potential fixes.

Thanks!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@agreenberg2000 wrote:

I have been using xFinity streaming successfully for years, and suddenly I have a problem today.  My setup has not changed, I have not installed any new software, there have been no changes to my network.

I have a MacBook Pro (2019), running Catalina 10.15.5

Running Safari 13.1.1

External display is a Cisco DX80, connected via (genuine) Apple display adapter and HDMI

When I try to stream content while the external display is connected, I get error code TVAPP-00236, with the message that my display is unsupported and I should connect a supported display or use an Apple display adapter.

I have rebooted both the MacBook and the DX80.  I have plugged the display adapter into each of the four USB-C ports on the Mac.  I have tried another Apple display adapter, all result in the same error message.

Hmmm, well, this display, in this very same configuration worked just fine yesterday (and for a couple of years), and I AM using an Apple display adapter.

Streaming works just fine if I disconnect the display (however, that is not ideal, since I need the display real estate.)

Thanks in advance for any insight into what might be happening here, and potential fixes.

Thanks!

are you using a chrome browser and the tv.xfinity.com web site? or are you trying to use an app?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Spoiler
I'm streaming from www.xfinity.com/stream using Safari on MacOS.

Thanks

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@agreenberg2000 wrote:
Spoiler
I'm streaming from www.xfinity.com/stream using Safari on MacOS.

Thanks

try the chrome browser. for whatever reason adobe flash's data encryption path check is not confirming and end to end encrypted HD stream.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the same issue.  Worked fine for years, then suddenly I can't stream live TV on my iMac.  Did you find a solution?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Tom_Ma06281 wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  Worked fine for years, then suddenly I can't stream live TV on my iMac.  Did you find a solution?

did you try using the chrome browser and enable flash?

(edited)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Some people prefer to not use a bug infested, information gathering hog called Chrome.  This is not helpful.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I just fixed my issue with this error.  Looks like there was 2 issues going on. 

1.  I have another TV (not connected to xfinity) connected to my iMac as a second monitor.  It is connected via a lighting to HDMI cable.  Brand new LG TV.  So I disconnected it, and the problem got better but still didnt take care of it all.

2. This is what really helped alot of issues.  I had installed Adobe flash a few years ago, I thought I had updated to current version.  I just removed it.  And so far all the sites that have video content work So Safari may not need adobe to play flash content now?

So uninstalling Adobe, and removing the second monitor cable proved to resolve this issue.

I still dont know why removing the second montior (TV) had any reason to cause issues.  Still working on a solution to have my TV connected to the computer at the same time able to watch on Xfinity Stream.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Will the problem be corrected by xfinity? It would be nice!!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@BrooklynShades wrote:

Will the problem be corrected by xfinity? It would be nice!!

please give your particular setup (device, method used to stream, home or away from home)

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I couldn't find an answer using Safari, but switching to Firefox worked.  Not ideal, but back viewing.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

It appears to be a compatibility problem with Safari, Xfinity and Flash Player.  It's got to be something that was changed on Xfinity's end;  I've been using the same setup for several years to watch TV on my desktop iMac, and it's always worked.  I got a new computer  back in December, and it worked fine until last week.  Now I'm getting this error.  What's weird is I can still go to various network websites and watch there, and I have to sign in through Xfinity.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Firefox is an open source product and is not affiliated with Apple - Safari is an Apple product and is maintaned by Apple.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I beleive it has to do with xfinity not keeping the software compatible with all user's - it is not the first time and it will not be the last.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have the same exact issue. Mac Mini digital display via Apple connection Safari - has been working fine since last year - stopped working this week. No changes to software or hardware - suspect: xfinity.

I called xfinity and got a wierd runaround (they were telling me about an outage that would be fixed - while I was watching ESPN...hmmm)

xfinity should fix problem.

On Safari: NBC works, ESPN works (probably others) MSNBC and CNN do not work

WHY???

On Chrome: the above 4 Channels work

This is an xfinity problem...

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I just started having the same problem and cannot connect to Xfinity TV Streaming with my iMac Mini.  I removed Adobe Flash Player as someone else suggested and that did not fix the problem.  For the cost of cable TV through Comcast we should be able to recieve the services we are paying for.  Other than exchanging text with a robot we should be getting real "SERVICE".

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here