sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

It's simple.. you wouldn't need to pay every month for an extra cable box. Buy your Roku (1 time purchase) and your set. Not sure why comcast thinks this supports the "cut the wire movement" when you would still need their subscription to access it. If Fios, TWC and soooooo many others offer it with Roku, the only answer for Comcast would be GREED. Unfortunately, it looks like Comcast is giving us another reason to consider Fios.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

9 years ago

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

About Affing Time!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Yipee!!!! I am so glad that Comcast has decided to allow Roku!

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

9 years ago

Confirmed. Xfinity now authenticates HBOGo on Roku.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

9 years ago

OK, now we can start asking for an Xfinity ROKU Channel

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

9 years ago

I suspect HBO deciding to offer a streaming subscription sans a cable account is the reason Comcast relented.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

9 years ago

Roku likely put a number on the table that Comcast kept rejecting. Now that HBO Go is going a la carte, Comcast will take what they can get.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

9 years ago

I am sure the large amount of referbished Roku's will now drop

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

9 years ago

@WinderGA wrote:

We have been an Internet only subscriber for years. First through Adelphia, then Comcast. Our reception for broadcast TV via our roof antenna is excellent and we use a Channelmaster Plus DVR, Streaming Netflix, NetFlix DVDs, and Amazon Prime.  We never subscribed to TV though a cable company and our download speed is adequate for steaming video. (Performance Starter). Our over the air channels are perfect in high definition.

We became aware of the special that Comcast Offers called Internet Plus which included basic OTA channels, HBO and increased Internet speed that costs little more than what we are already paying, with an increase in cost after 12 months. We subscribed to Internet Plus and planned to put Comcast's low definition descrambler box in the closet since we wouldn't need it.  We really wanted to access HBO on our Roku. Imagine our surprise when we found out that Comcast Xfinity does not support HBO Go on our Roku!

There are quite a few ISPs that will work with HBOgo on the Roku.  We cancelled Internet Plus and went back to Performance Starter. We will purchase Internet only HBO when it becomes available. I guess, what is also grinding my grits, is that Comcast (and Broadcasters) require us to pay broadcast fees for something we will never watch over Comcast since we receive free over the air in all its stunning glory.

As an aside to this, the descrambler box arrived today and it looks like an oversized dinosaur VHS player from the 1990's.  The Roku, in comparison is small and elegant. I am going to the Comcast store to return it, and get a receipt since I have trust issues with Comcast.

ATT Uverse is available and Google is building fiber; so we do have other options. 

HBO Go & Showtime Anytime: Now Available on Roku for XFINITY TV Customers

Starting today, December 16, our XFINITY TV customers can access HBO Go and Showtime Anytime apps on their Roku players and Roku TV, joining other platforms like AppleTV, Xbox One and Google’s Chromecast where customers can watch shows and movies from these networks. Of course, our customers continue to have instant and unlimited access to nearly the entire HBO and Showtime programming catalogs through XFINITY On Demand, online with XFINITY TV Go and on mobile devices with the XFINITY TV Go app.

With the addition of HBO and Showtime on Roku, we now authenticate more than 90 network apps on up to 17 different devices - and those numbers will continue to grow as new technologies and platforms emerge. Our customers have access to one of the largest content libraries in the world and we’ll continue to make opportunities available for them to watch when and where they want.

Customers may find this same information on the Comcast Voices blog at the link below: 

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/hbo-go-showtime-anytime-on-roku-players-and-roku-tv-now-available-for-xfinity-tv-customers

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

This is great news I didn't hear until today.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

So...NOW you do this? After I returned the descrambler box and cancelled Internet Plus and went back to Performance Starter Internet? Poor timing all the way around.

We'll see about visiting this notion of Internet Plus again after HBO rolls out their direct to the consumer product. Seriously, I detest talking to your poorly trained customer service reps; I would rather pay more directly to HBO than have to deal with your company again, and I resent paying broadcast fees. If I stay with Performance Starter, I hope I will never have to talk to your reps again.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

The same scenario played out with trying to get Comcast to authenticate HBOGO on Samsung - long wait with many vexing messages.  So, I figured ROKU/HBOGO would be the same deal.  Glad I waited it out.  Overall I think Comcast (including reps) is pretty good but with room for improvement.  Thanks, Comcast.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you, Comcast! Better late than never. I just loaded my Roku with both Showtime Anytime and HBOgo. I'm happy with your X1 service and now very happy to ... finally ... have HBOgo.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here