Wesley_wg's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

Wednesday, October 9th, 2019 3:00 PM

Closed

No voices are playing in cloud DVR streams - part 2

In May, I made a post about the voice audio track missing from many of my shows when I stream them from the cloud. I spent a couple months talking to techs to try getting this issue fixed. Then, most of the shows I watch went on Summer break. Now that they are returning for the fall, this bug is rearing its ugly head again.

The problem is with the cloud recordings of shows on The CW network (and CBS previously, which owns The CW).  So far, the recordings on CBS have been streaming fine with the newest episodes this season. However, shows on The CW, like Flash and Black Lightning, are missing the voice track still. I can hear all the other sounds but not the voices. If I switch on "secondary audio" then I can hear the voices but all the other sounds get tuned off. 

It doesn't matter what device I stream to or what internet connection I'm on. The voices are just gone as soon as they are recorded on the cloud. I can still play the shows on my X1 DVR with the voices intact because they are recorded on the DVR's hard drive. But once the DVR is replaced by a new one that has to pull the shows from the cloud, the voices no longer play on the DVR either. 

Eventually, the Xfinity techs told me this is an issue with the networks and that the networks would have to fix it. They said they would report it to the networks. If this is true, is there someone who can report this to The CW techs? I stream a lot of shows from devices other than my TV so it's frustrating when I can't watch them when I want to.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

Well, they fixed something on their end because every CW show that has recorded since 11/17 on has been playing with all the sound working for me. The older recordings are still broken but that probably couldn't be fixed once they were recorded anyway.  It's just good to have it working like it's supposed to again. I hope it is the same fore everyone else too.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Wesley_wg wrote:

In May, I made a post about the voice audio track missing from many of my shows when I stream them from the cloud. I spent a couple months talking to techs to try getting this issue fixed. Then, most of the shows I watch went on Summer break. Now that they are returning for the fall, this bug is rearing its ugly head again.

The problem is with the cloud recordings of shows on The CW network (and CBS previously, which owns The CW).  So far, the recordings on CBS have been streaming fine with the newest episodes this season. However, shows on The CW, like Flash and Black Lightning, are missing the voice track still. I can hear all the other sounds but not the voices. If I switch on "secondary audio" then I can hear the voices but all the other sounds get tuned off. 

It doesn't matter what device I stream to or what internet connection I'm on. The voices are just gone as soon as they are recorded on the cloud. I can still play the shows on my X1 DVR with the voices intact because they are recorded on the DVR's hard drive. But once the DVR is replaced by a new one that has to pull the shows from the cloud, the voices no longer play on the DVR either. 

Eventually, the Xfinity techs told me this is an issue with the networks and that the networks would have to fix it. They said they would report it to the networks. If this is true, is there someone who can report this to The CW techs? I stream a lot of shows from devices other than my TV so it's frustrating when I can't watch them when I want to.

on what device are you playing the cloud recording? if a PC, what operating system and version? what browser if a PC. have you tried another streaming device? have you removed the app/channel if using a smart phone/tablet/roku and then rebooted, and reinstalled?

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

I've played the faulty cloud recordings on a Windows 10 PC with Chrome and Edge. I've also played them on my Android phone with the Xfinity Stream app and on two Chromebooks. The voice audio is missing in every case even on different internet connections. It even happens on the X1 cable box if the local recording isn't on the hard drive and is pulled from the cloud instead. Getting a replacement DVR didn't fix it either. I did try removing and re-adding the shows back to the DVR schedule but that didn't work either.

This is not a problem on my end. It's a problem with the actual recordings that are stored in the cloud. So far, with this season of new shows, it's only happening with The CW shows I watch. It used to be The CW and CBS. Hopefully an Xfinity employee will see this and report it to The CW techs for me. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

The CW shows that have recorded this week  are still broken. So far, the CBS shows are all playing from the cloud normally this season. The CW needs to combine the regular audio track with the secondary audio track. It looks like that's what CBS has done because there isn't a secondary audio track on the cloud version of CBS shows this season.

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

Is there any Xfinity employee who could pass this on to the tech people? 

Is there anyone else on the forums who records CW shows from KSKN 111 and watches them from the cloud on other devices? If so, do you have any audio problems? Maybe someone would want to do a test of their own? Any of their prime time shows seem to do it. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

We just had to get a new X1 box because the one we had went into an update boot-loop. Since we have to play cloud recordings (instead of hard drive copies) of recent CW shows on it, the voice track is missing from the recordings. I had to go to SAP settings and pick Spanish to hear the English voices but then couldn't hear the background sounds or the music for any of the shows. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

We are having the same issue when viewing all CW network content via xfinity stream.  Live & recorded CW network content has background audio but no voice on xfinity stream!  CW network shows recorded to the DVR are fine viewed on DVR connected tv's, but all internet streamed shows have no voice. WEIRD BUG!! 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Robntrinia wrote:

We are having the same issue when viewing all CW network content via xfinity stream.  Live & recorded CW network content has background audio but no voice on xfinity stream!  CW network shows recorded to the DVR are fine viewed on DVR connected tv's, but all internet streamed shows have no voice. WEIRD BUG!! 

first, the audio track is part of the streams in the presentation. I just tested by playing latest recorded episode of Legacies and audio is fine. click the 'balloon' icon while starting the video (lower right corner of video) and turn off all the switches. audio back to working?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have this same problem on all devices. Changing from US English to Canada English resolves this last spring on my tv/cable box, but recordings starting this week no longer have voice audio. When I watch on streaming devices, I have to change audio to Spanish to make the voices work (in English) but with no background audio.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Well, I switched to Xfinity in like November, and I had no issues, until this week. I'm having the EXACT same problem with anything on the CW. The latest episodes of Arrow and Supernatural so far have NO voice audio, can just hear music and sound effects. Doesn't matter if I try to watch on my tv or i download it to my tablet and try on there. Anything I've recorded on any other channel is fine. This is so weird... and annoying. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Me again, found another thread concerning just Supernatural on reddit. There's a tip in there that is kinda a fix for this...https://www.reddit.com/r/Supernatural/comments/dwka5a/sound_issues/

Basically, if a recording is messed up like this, just stop watching it, hold the voice button on your remote and say the name of the show, then find the free On Demand version of the latest episode. Those dont' have this issue. I guess this'll work till they (Comcast and CW) figure this out. I sent Comcast and CW a tweet with links to both these threads, and Xfinity replied before I even finished watching Supernatural that they know about the issue and are working on it.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The voices work on everything except xfinity. Pay way too much for this.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Gregk1211 wrote:
The voices work on everything except xfinity. Pay way too much for this.

what computer operating system are you using? what browser are you using?  use the mouse and cause the controls to appear and click on the white icon for languages and turn off SAP.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

We had a similar problem when the dialogue stopped, but ambient audio kept working  on some recorded dramas from NPR via Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB) one just one of our two receivers.

After tearing out much of whatever hair I have left, I noticed that "Video Description" had accidentally been turned on.

When I turned it off, the dialog on the problem shows went back to normal.

It seems illogical that video description should remove dialogue and that's probably a bug, but we're back to hearing dialogue.

What is video description? (From Xfinity:)
Video description refers to audio-narrated descriptions of key visual elements of programming inserted within natural pauses in dialogue. Video description makes television programs, feature films and other media accessible to people who are blind or have low vision or a visual disability, creating a richer, more independent experience. For example, video description describes key visual elements such as actions, facial expressions, costumes or scene changes in a program that a viewer who is blind or has low vision or a visual disability would otherwise miss.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here