YCC's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, October 6th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

How to send feedback to Comcast VP regarding Stream for older iPads 14001 error

Here is where we can vent our frustrations regarding the recent change to our belove it Xfinity Stream for our iPad 4 and older.

I'm sure that he doesn't read them, but it's a start.

Please express your opinion

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@ArvinaBarnes wrote:

The "upgrade" to the streaming app killed my streaming app completely. i get a message saying that the app is no supported by my ipad.  Thanks a lot xfinity.  i'm furious.

https://www.lifewire.com/why-cant-i-upgrade-ipad-1994326  verifies that the issue is change from 32-bit iOS to 64-bit. Nothing but a hardware upgrade can fix that. each year, as stated in the article, new hardware that supports the then-latest iOS is put out. As support for processors used in the past becomes impossible, that version of iOS device is locked into its iOS version.  

Contributor

• 

203 Messages

4 years ago

Ridiculous! The sw engineers could very easily fork the app to accommodate both 32-bit & 64-bit apps! This is an easily managed task with any sw application, using standard industry sw development management systems. The decision to eliminate 32-bit (if it's true) might save a few bucks, but this will be at the expense of each customer being required to expend hundred of dollars, just to be able to run a single app! Rustyben, you're the apparent expert (I'm just a 40+ year embedded sw engineer), how are Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc. somehow supporting both platforms? I frequently still update 10-20 apps on my 32-bit iPad, apps which are also on 64-bit iPad! So don't try to make an excuse that this is because Comcast engineers were somehow forced to abandon 32-bit platforms.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I disagree, I run 32bit and 64bit applications on windows 64 bit os, it's simply a question of wanting to support existing customers or not. There are several mechanisms that can be used to achieve this, even on a 64 bit os, still many infrastructure components are still 32 bit architecture, it's a design choice, regards, paul.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

If the older device worked before with Xfinity Stream why would it not work now unless it was Xfinity that changed the interface with the app? Why could there not be an app for these older devices in addition to the new device app?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

My iPad  has quit working on Xfinity for my recordings and live television I keep getting a 14001 code

Contributor

• 

203 Messages

4 years ago

Nice dodge there Rustyben, I fail to see anything concerning the OS in her/his question. The real answer is that for whatever cheap reason, Comcast has turned there back on subscribers still satisfied with iPads that are running 32-bit applications without issues, applications that continue to be updated. From companies supporting 32-bit and 64-bit.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@WIS1311 wrote:

If the older device worked before with Xfinity Stream why would it not work now unless it was Xfinity that changed the interface with the app? Why could there not be an app for these older devices in addition to the new device app?

in a nutshell, no. the newer iOS required does not support the older hardware. some have reported they can still play recordings.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I get to step 4. I am not offered that "download option." When a recorded show is selected, the offers are "watch, episodes, delete, record options, othertimes, mark watched, series info, playlist."  I have an ipda 2 which can only handle software updates up to 9.3.6.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I apologize. This works. I was trying to use the "download " option on the main DVR attached to my TV. If you only use the ipad, this works. Only access the DVR from the ipad.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

3 years ago

Far as I can see, you can't download recorded shows anymore, as of Friday, 12/11/2020. If anyone can still do this on a 32 bit device, please share here.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@jhqbraille wrote:

Far as I can see, you can't download recorded shows anymore, as of Friday, 12/11/2020. If anyone can still do this on a 32 bit device, please share here.

worked on my ipad 10.2 on ios14.5 - what is your iOS version? does viewing live TV work in the home?

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

3 years ago

Rustyben:

We are still on the same topic. The iPad 4 I am using, on IOS 10.3.3, is a 32 bit device.

Although the App prevented me from watching live or recorded shows directly, it previously allowed me to download recorded shows, and then watch them. It's a roundabout method and inconvenient, but at least it allowed me to use my iPad. It was also a great comfort for me while waiting for someone in surgery last week, since I could view offline. 

Last Friday morning, however, I tried to download to the same device, and I received this message: 

Could Not Create Download

Your app version is out of date. Please update to

the latest version available in the App Store.

Of course, as before, my app says I am updated.

What I don't understand is why it worked before and it doesn't now. Why would Comcast update the App again to prevent this tiny allowance, and make us all more miserable and cross?

So once again, unless you or someone knows how to download again, I do not have a mobile device I can download and actually watch what I have recorded.  While it isn't as mobile, I'd have downloaded shows onto my PC, but unless I'm missing something, there isn't a way to do that either.

Who can we actually talk to that will understand this is all so unnecessary? So many platforms I have accessed since this happened---all of which are available to me on my old iPad. 

I don't make rash decisions. I do research and make choices. I've downloaded so much recently that is available, it makes Comcast virtually unnecessary as a television venue. Since Comcast announced prices are going up, and obviously services are going down, the new year may be the best time to make significant changes. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

apple requires that older versions no longer be supported (planned to be obsolete after around 4 years). the current mass app updates are removing support for 10 and below. next will be 11, then 12 etc. 

Contributor

• 

203 Messages

3 years ago

So what, exactly are you saying here, Rustyben? Are you  saying that Comcast feels it neccessary to help inforce Apples utterly bizarre obsolescence "rule"?

Again, since you're the "expert", please explain why Comcast cannot easily support two versions of the Stream App? Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. all support 32bit, and still offer upgraded versions. In most cases, the UI is far more demanding than the Stream App!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here