jmar76's profile

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

Monday, November 27th, 2017 11:00 AM

Closed

Can't set recordings from stream app

So this has happened to me before on occasion but not lately, but today I tried to set recordings for several different things using the xfinity stream app and for some reason today the option just isn't there. Over the weekend I also just happened to read that Comcast just lost a decision by the ITC in favor of Rovi in a patent suit saying that Comcast is infringing on Rovi's patent for the technology in the app that is used to set recordings on mobile devices for X1 set top boxes. So I'm just wondering is it just a coincidence that it's not even an option for me today and perhaps due to maintenance of some kind on the app, or did Comcast temporarily pull this technology from the app as a result of the ruling by the ITC? Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

What I don't understand, I read a little bit about this case and part of it includes the X1 box itself. If Comcast were to not allow people to set recordings from their X1 box, there would be a mass-exodous from Comcast until they settled with TiVo. They are appealing the decision and while they do, they basically have no choice but to continue providing their customers the ability to record their shows and customers who don't use any mobile or online features will never really know the difference but mobile app users will. They won't pay the patent royalties to tivo ...until the appeals process is finished. So they take away the record feature for streaming online and apps but removing the record feature on X1 box would be suicide.

If the decision is upheld, they will eventually have to or strike some kind of partnership deal with tivo or just pay the royalties. So what is the point disabling the online and app streaming service now? Why not continue providing it during the appeal process, because no matter the outcome, they will either have to pay a royalty or not and the only people who suffer in the meantime is us, the customers. What, will it save them a few pennies on royalties over a month or however long it takes? So bring back the record feature on streaming services, apps, online, etc. And whatever the appeal outcome, settle it at that time. 

Maybe one or more of the judges in the case have Comcast service and they are doing it solely to show that judge what their decision is doing to their service. ...to teach them a lesson. Meanwhile, we suffer. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Loss of that feature is a loss of a huge selling point for Comcast. Having to do everything from the box is extremely inconvenient in this mobile world. Hopefully, Comcast will present a solution quickly.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.4K Messages

6 years ago

@gvbmarch wrote:

No longer able to record a program from tv listing at xfinity using internet rather than remote

comcast removed record function, more info here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@terrijo8 wrote:
Loss of that feature is a loss of a huge selling point for Comcast. Having to do everything from the box is extremely inconvenient in this mobile world. Hopefully, Comcast will present a solution quickly.

Don't hold your breath.  This customer pain and outrage apparently was determined to be more useful by Comcast's lawyers in their federal lawsuits which is the real motivation behind the removal.   It's to Comcast's benefit to show how the consumers are being harmed by the Rovi/Tivo legal action. 

The recent ITC ruling only banned importation of new devices containing these features. The removal of this feature has nothing to do with the ITC ruling which doesn't have jurisdiction over what Comcast offers as a service to existing customers with existing devices.  That is left to the federal court cases which have a long way to go yet.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@Beerzz wrote:

What I don't understand, I read a little bit about this case and part of it includes the X1 box itself. If Comcast were to not allow people to set recordings from their X1 box, there would be a mass-exodous from Comcast until they settled with TiVo. They are appealing the decision and while they do, they basically have no choice but to continue providing their customers the ability to record their shows and customers who don't use any mobile or online features will never really know the difference but mobile app users will. They won't pay the patent royalties to tivo ...until the appeals process is finished. So they take away the record feature for streaming online and apps but removing the record feature on X1 box would be suicide.

If the decision is upheld, they will eventually have to or strike some kind of partnership deal with tivo or just pay the royalties. So what is the point disabling the online and app streaming service now? Why not continue providing it during the appeal process, because no matter the outcome, they will either have to pay a royalty or not and the only people who suffer in the meantime is us, the customers. What, will it save them a few pennies on royalties over a month or however long it takes? So bring back the record feature on streaming services, apps, online, etc. And whatever the appeal outcome, settle it at that time. 

Maybe one or more of the judges in the case have Comcast service and they are doing it solely to show that judge what their decision is doing to their service. ...to teach them a lesson. Meanwhile, we suffer. 

It does seem like just another example of when these companies battle the user is left underfoot. Fine....but give me notification and time to explore other options. 

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

No longer able to record a program from tv listing at xfinity using internet rather than remote

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Won't record anymore. Me thinks since Xfinity lost the lawsuit to TIVO, its been tunred off. Goodbye Cable service.

KO

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

What happened to the ability to record using th TV Remote IPad application?  It appears this is no longer a capability since the only option now is "Watch".  The ability to record was a very useful for users who are sight-impaired and cannot read the guide on the TV. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Will Comcast be lowering customers' bills since Comcast has removed the promised feature to remotely record using a computer app or phone?

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

6 years ago

Comcast removed this functionality due to an ongoing legal issue between them and TiVo (Rovi). Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Whereas, I've always been able to schedule recordings to my DVR from the website or app in the past, I noticed today that the record option is no longer available to me on either platform. Anyone else having this problem?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have always been able to record upcoming programs from my iphone or ipad by accessing the TV Remote ap, going to TV listings, choosing the program I want to record and touching the red record button to record an upcoming program.  Now the red button is gone, and the only option I see is "Watch Channel".  Help!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I’m experiencing the same issue.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I am regretting updating the Remote app recently. The record option is no longer available and I've read tons of customer complaints on this site. One comment cited legal issues with the app. What is the purpose of a remote app if there are limited functions? We pay a premium price for this service and it's aggravating that features are removed without notice. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Grumpy2011 wrote:

I am regretting updating the Remote app recently. The record option is no longer available and I've read tons of customer complaints on this site. One comment cited legal issues with the app. What is the purpose of a remote app if there are limited functions? We pay a premium price for this service and it's aggravating that features are removed without notice. 

to ensure compliance during appeal process the function was removed from the back end. the app no matter which version would not access the 'record' button feature.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here