New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
Contributor

Can't set recordings from stream app

So this has happened to me before on occasion but not lately, but today I tried to set recordings for several different things using the xfinity stream app and for some reason today the option just isn't there. Over the weekend I also just happened to read that Comcast just lost a decision by the ITC in favor of Rovi in a patent suit saying that Comcast is infringing on Rovi's patent for the technology in the app that is used to set recordings on mobile devices for X1 set top boxes. So I'm just wondering is it just a coincidence that it's not even an option for me today and perhaps due to maintenance of some kind on the app, or did Comcast temporarily pull this technology from the app as a result of the ruling by the ITC? Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this.
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

All,

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

View answer in context
Contributor

Re: program dvr from a computer

Not any more apparently. I could do this as recently as two weeks ago, but the "record" option vanished about that time and hasn't been seen since, not by me anyway. Very frustrating. Yes, I know I can use the phone app, but I want to be able to do it from computer as well.

Service Expert

catbird500 wrote:

Not any more apparently. I could do this as recently as two weeks ago, but the "record" option vanished about that time and hasn't been seen since, not by me anyway. Very frustrating. Yes, I know I can use the phone app, but I want to be able to do it from computer as well.

does it work on other desk/laptops? on a smart device? did you try actually logging out of the account on the computer and then logging back in to the account? if that does not work and you have a physical DVR in the home, call 800-Comcast and ask them to run the deep background account refresh (can take up to an hour to complete). After the hour log out and back in on the computer. now working?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

I replied to this, Rustyben, but I don't know where my reply went. If it doesn't show up, I guess I'll go throught the whole thing again.

Problem Solver

catbird500 wrote:

Verify you're not looking at a tvgo channel. Tvgo channels don't have the record option.

New Poster

If it is still possible, Comcast has manged to hide the method.  They may not mean to, they are just arrogant and impcompetent beyond measure.  Just look at their web navigation.  Worthless and bloated.

Frequent Visitor

While I didn't have this problem when the first person posted about the issue, it's now surfaced for me.

As of last Monday (Nov 20th), I had no problems programming the DVR through the online portal, but now the only options I have for any channel are either "Watch channel" or "Info".  I no longer have a "Record" option.

This is true whether I log in through the web site, or if I use the app on my Android phone.

Problem Solver

jmar76 wrote:
So this has happened to me before on occasion but not lately, but today I tried to set recordings for several different things using the xfinity stream app and for some reason today the option just isn't there. Over the weekend I also just happened to read that Comcast just lost a decision by the ITC in favor of Rovi in a patent suit saying that Comcast is infringing on Rovi's patent for the technology in the app that is used to set recordings on mobile devices for X1 set top boxes. So I'm just wondering is it just a coincidence that it's not even an option for me today and perhaps due to maintenance of some kind on the app, or did Comcast temporarily pull this technology from the app as a result of the ruling by the ITC? Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Record option is missing on both app and web site for me. Not sure if it has to do with the lawsuit, comcast replased tivo with Gracenote a while ago

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/11/23/tivo-wins-comcast-xfinity-case/

Problem Solver

jrlorentz wrote:

While I didn't have this problem when the first person posted about the issue, it's now surfaced for me.

As of last Monday (Nov 20th), I had no problems programming the DVR through the online portal, but now the only options I have for any channel are either "Watch channel" or "Info".  I no longer have a "Record" option.

This is true whether I log in through the web site, or if I use the app on my Android phone.

Record option is missing on both app and web site for me. Not sure if its another comcast glitch or if it has to do with the comcast tivo lawsuit that comcast just lost, comcast replaced tivo with Gracenote a while ago

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/11/23/tivo-wins-comcast-xfinity-case/

Problem Solver

Just spoke with a support rep and she confirmed that comcast decided to remove the record option/feature from web site and app but she could not say why the decision was made or whether it will return.

Problem Solver

Just spoke with a support rep and she confirmed that comcast decided to remove the record option/feature from web site and app but she could not say why the decision was made or whether it will return.

Contributor

Thanks very much. Yeah I saw that somewhere else too about Gracenote. Unfortunately I think I just confirmed my suspicions because I went back to the original article I read and since the mobile recording technology in the app was one of the patents in question, a Comcast spokesperson said in a statement that while they disagree with the ITC's decision, they will remove all functionality associated with the disputed patents while they pursue an appeal. So for now that option is gone. Too bad too because I used it a lot lol, but it's a luxury, not a necessity, still have the dvr so I'll just have to make sure to set recordings before I leave home.
Contributor

Lol we were both posting at the same time and I just saw your second post now. Yeah that's too bad but hopefully they'll get it back again soon somehow.
Administrator
Administrator

All,

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Tags (3)
Frequent Visitor

Wow.

Just when you think that Comcast has made as many stupid decisions as possible...

If that is true (and we know that their customer reps aren't very well informed), it certainly fits their pattern of "Let's see--what's useful to our customers that we can take away this week?"

I used that function even more than using the 'B' button (and I'd used that button a lot).

Problem Solver

jrlorentz wrote:

Wow.

Just when you think that Comcast has made as many stupid decisions as possible...

If that is true (and we know that their customer reps aren't very well informed), it certainly fits their pattern of "Let's see--what's useful to our customers that we can take away this week?"

I used that function even more than using the 'B' button (and I'd used that button a lot).

Since they just lost the lawsuit with tivo a few days ago over the record from online tech comcast was using, I think they were kind of forced to remove it.

Contributor

So, where does removal of the record button leave Xfinity customers? The android TV remote app was and is a PITA, but it is marginally better than trying to program a week of recordings via the DVR menu. I echo the earlier comment/complaint about Comcast's seeming eagerness to constantly take away useful features, especially those that benefit their non-X1 customers. I nominate Comcast Xfinity for the Scrooge lifetime achievement award. All in favor, vote aye. Smiley Wink

Problem Solver

agentLXXXVI wrote:

So, where does removal of the record button leave Xfinity customers? The android TV remote app was and is a PITA, but it is marginally better than trying to program a week of recordings via the DVR menu. I echo the earlier comment/complaint about Comcast's seeming eagerness to constantly take away useful features, especially those that benefit their non-X1 customers. I nominate Comcast Xfinity for the Scrooge lifetime achievement award. All in favor, vote aye. Smiley Wink

Guess you haven't looked, the record feature has been removed from the TV remote app as well. Same feature - same technology used - same lawsuit - gone.

New Poster

can't set dvr

why is this no longer available on the app?

Problem Solver

Re: can't set dvr

sara-a wrote:

why is this no longer available on the app?

Comcast removed it from the stream and tv remote app and the stream web site. They just lost a lawsuit with tivo over technology used. Spoke with a support rep earlier today and she confirmed that comcast decided to remove the record option/feature from web site and app but she could not say why the decision was made or whether it will return.

Frequent Visitor

This is a huge issue and defeats the purpose of even having an App...Please let management know that this needs to be corrected...

Service Expert
Moved:

Re: can't set dvr

Problem Solver

Why did a rep combine the stream web site thread with this stream app thread? Now there's no help thread on the web site forum. Maybe comcast should put an announcement on each forum....

New Poster

record button has disappeared in last 24 hours

The record button on the Xfinity stream app has disappeared since yesterday afternoon. Yesterday, I recorded something on BEIN TV and now today, I can't record anything. Any idea why this would happen?

Problem Solver

Re: record button has disappeared in last 24 hours

rldeuel wrote:

The record button on the Xfinity stream app has disappeared since yesterday afternoon. Yesterday, I recorded something on BEIN TV and now today, I can't record anything. Any idea why this would happen?

Yep, comcast removed the record option from the web site and apps. See combined thread in app forum here -

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

New Poster

Bummer! I had no idea recording shows from a mobile device was a patented technology.

New Poster

Record function on Xfinity DVR is disabled for remote devices i.e. PC

I notice the record function on my Xfinity DVR was disabled for remote devices.  I went through customer service and as of 2pm Mountain Standard time this functionality was disabled and an email was sent to all employees advising them of this change.  This customer service agent did say that the record function was only available at the DVR with the DVR remote and no where else.  There was no further clarification or explanation of this change.   I do not like this functionality change and expressed my opinion to the service rep but this decision was made by someone who is very insulated from customer service unlike this service rep I was talking with.

Contributor

Re: Record function on Xfinity DVR is disabled for remote devices i.e. PC

I started a thread about this earlier today which has gotten a lot of responses. I also did some digging myself and the reason Comcast pulled this functionality on both the apps and the website has to do with an ITC decision in favor of Rovi (owner of TiVo) accusing Comcast of violating patent laws for the technology. So until it is all sorted out which going forward is an appeals process, Comcast has pulled the functionality most likely to prevent them from any further legal liabilities. Not a decision they wanted to make but they more or less had to for the time being.
New Poster

Re: DVR functions no longer working on TV Remote app

I am having exactly this same issue. DVR recording functionality works fine via set top boxes but I now cannot use the iOS Xfinity TV Remote app to set anything to record. Recording via the app had been working fine until recently when I purchased a new iOS device. I have tried deleting and reinstalling app, restarting app, sending a system refresh to my set top box, etc without success.

I guess I will try going through the tortuous process now of calling Comcast support and hoping I can get a competent support person to properly add a Cloud DVR Rate Code...
Regular Visitor

iphone app not working for x1 remote

I can no longer set a program to record on my Iphone or my wifes I phone. This feature is not working

Problem Solver

Re: DVR functions no longer working on TV Remote app

GQ3131 wrote:
I am having exactly this same issue. DVR recording functionality works fine via set top boxes but I now cannot use the iOS Xfinity TV Remote app to set anything to record. Recording via the app had been working fine until recently when I purchased a new iOS device. I have tried deleting and reinstalling app, restarting app, sending a system refresh to my set top box, etc without success.

I guess I will try going through the tortuous process now of calling Comcast support and hoping I can get a competent support person to properly add a Cloud DVR Rate Code...

No need to call support, comcast removed the record function due to legal matters with tivo.

See more info here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

New Poster

Not sure I understand....... Comcast website provides instructional page on "Set up a Recording with the XFINITY TV Remote App" at this link ....... https://www.xfinity.com/support/xfinity-apps/schedule-dvr-recordings-in-xfinity-apps/ .

And the most recent App update (version 3.70) in the opening paragraph in What's New says "Use your smartphone or tablet as a remote control. Change channels, browse XFINITY ON Demand and TV listings, and even schedule your DVR when you're away from home......" which contradicts the statement "If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand!"

You must be mistaken Comcast Jessie. I am sure if this were the case, XFINITY would be offering a deduction on our bill to compensate for the removal of a key function like this without any notice or explanation. 

Wasn't there some communication from the CEO speaking about "Customer Satisfaction" or was that just a rumor?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: iphone app not working for x1 remote

I suggest that you verify that you have the lastest version of the app. There has been quite a few changes and updates.

If you are sure that you have the latest version of the app, uninstall it then reinstall it.

atwood6406 wrote:

I can no longer set a program to record on my Iphone or my wifes I phone. This feature is not working

Problem Solver

markham88 wrote:

Not sure I understand....... Comcast website provides instructional page on "Set up a Recording with the XFINITY TV Remote App" at this link ....... https://www.xfinity.com/support/xfinity-apps/schedule-dvr-recordings-in-xfinity-apps/ .

And the most recent App update (version 3.70) in the opening paragraph in What's New says "Use your smartphone or tablet as a remote control. Change channels, browse XFINITY ON Demand and TV listings, and even schedule your DVR when you're away from home......" which contradicts the statement "If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand!"

You must be mistaken Comcast Jessie. I am sure if this were the case, XFINITY would be offering a deduction on our bill to compensate for the removal of a key function like this without any notice or explanation. 

Wasn't there some communication from the CEO speaking about "Customer Satisfaction" or was that just a rumor?

This lawsuit just happened a few days ago. They will have to come up with a new way to set recording from apps and web site, or they will have to change a lot of comcast propaganda including the support help pages.

Regular Visitor

I have done this on both my phone and my wifes phone. I also cannot set a program to record from my laptop. I could until a few days ago

New Poster

yep, the record button is gone and they want me to use there security for my house. NO WAY WOULD I TRUST COMCAST WITH THAT!!!!
New Poster

they changed my reply. think i will call the fcc.
Gold Problem Solver

Are you using the latest app?

atwood6406 wrote:

I have done this on both my phone and my wifes phone. I also cannot set a program to record from my laptop. I could until a few days ago

Service Expert

see this thread for information. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/record-button-has-disappeared-in-last-24-hours/t...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

New Poster

recording tv shows

I am all of a sudden unable to set up recording for any TV shows on my mobile Xfinity app or TV app, what is the problem?

Problem Solver

Apache2 wrote:
yep, the record button is gone and they want me to use there security for my house. NO WAY WOULD I TRUST COMCAST WITH THAT!!!!

Would you trust comcast as your electir power provider?

http://investors.sunrun.com/news-releases/news-release-details/sunrun-and-comcast-enter-agreement-of...

Problem Solver

Apache2 wrote:
they changed my reply. think i will call the fcc.

What do you mean "they changed my reply"?

Problem Solver

Re: recording tv shows

tammyb507 wrote:

I am all of a sudden unable to set up recording for any TV shows on my mobile Xfinity app or TV app, what is the problem?

Comcast revoved record feature from web site and apps due to a lawsuit with tivo.

See more info here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Frequent Visitor

So I am now paying for a major component of my service but that component no longer is available. I have used that remote recording schedule daily for months and have come to rely on it at home and on the road. For it to disappear without notification or for a reduction in my sevice charges is utterly contemptible. I probably will fight like bloody blazes to cancel my contract, get compensation, and then move to Directv if I don’t get some sort of explanation and workaround suggestion in a week or ten days. This is horrible consumer relations and destroys what little good feeling I’ve had for Comcast. Shattered. I can’t believe they didn’t plan for an unfavorable court outcome and prepare to plug in an alternate system or at the very least prepare an announcement to be sent to customers by email—including some kind of timeline for fixing this catastrophe. I do not want any part of an Xfinity service without remote capability. Worthless. Not what I signed up for. 

New Poster

No way for Comcast to notify users that this “ functionality ” was going going away? Wasted quite a bit of time troubleshooting before finding this thread. Had a similar problem in the past that was resolved but sadly this time that does not appear to be the case. 

Official Employee

Re: recording tv shows

Hello tammyb507, the information that (mvenanzi) shared is correct the feature has been removed from our apps. Please use your remote to set your recordings. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

I can no longer record shows remotely

I no longer have a record option when I view the channel listings on any device (Windows laptop using the Xfinity website) or on an iPhone/iPad using either the Xfinity app or the Xfinity website.  What's going on?

New Poster

Cant set up a recording from app

I cannot set up a recording from the app anymore
New Poster

Re: I can no longer record shows remotely

After doing some more reading, I see that Comcast no longer offers remote recording from any device (due to a lost lawsuit), and that this issue has apparently been pending since early summer.  Obviously, this makes the "Xfinity Remote" app completely worthless, as well as the channel listings available on the Xfinity website.  Also, there's no notice of this relatively significant issue (especially for people who imagine that the service is available, then find out too late that it isn't) on the Xfinity website (which still includes multiple pages that instruct customers how to use the now non-existant feature.

I've been happy with Xfinity since I returned to Comcast (after using Verizon FIOS for about 5 years), but I would've been happier if Comcast had alerted customers to this issue, before a significant service disappeared.

New Poster

Re: Record function on Xfinity DVR is disabled for remote devices i.e. PC

This was a feature that makes the Xfinity system work for those us that travel.  To simply disconnect it and have Tech Services provide a lame explanation, after searching for whether it really happened is irritating and dumb. 

Comcast:  Return the functionality, please!