jwmccnn's profile

Contributor

• 

246 Messages

Thursday, February 27th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Unlocked Samsung Phone

So has anyone bought an Unlocked phone directly from Samsung and succesfully used it on the Xfinity network just by taking the SIM card out of an existing Xfinity phone and put it into the new unlocked phone?

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

4 years ago

I should note that my Note 8 was not an xfinity phone.  it was originally an ATT locked phone that I brought over to the xfinity network.  Not sure if that matters.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, i did it with the Note 10+.  The xfinity system still thinks i have a note 8, but everything works fine.   At the time the unlocked from samsung Note10+ was not "compatible" as a BYOD.  It now is.

I am also getting a S20 Ultra, and two agents online have told me that it will be compatible as a BYOD device on march 6th which is launch day.

I think they are making strides on unlocked phones directly from Samsung.

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

Yes.  I moved my SIM from my Xfinity Mobile purchased S10+ to a Samsung unlocked (U1) Note 10+.  Everything worked fine, but it's best to contact XM support and have them officially add the device to your account.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

For the heck of it, tried the IMEI on the unlocked S20 Ultra I just received on the compatibility checker and it fails right now (3/3/20) as has been hinted.  Hopefully they're not going to change the story on Friday to "can't activate those, sorry!"

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

4 years ago

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/S20-compatibility/td-p/3308207

From the comcast rep.....   Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G and S20 Ultra 5G open-market devices purchased unlocked directly from Samsung.com, or from major retailers like Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart and Costco, will be supported for BYOD beginning on March 6, 2020.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

4 years ago

@catnapped wrote:

For the heck of it, tried the IMEI on the unlocked S20 Ultra I just received on the compatibility checker and it fails right now (3/3/20) as has been hinted.  Hopefully they're not going to change the story on Friday to "can't activate those, sorry!"

If it does, just move the SIM over from your old phone and it should work.  This is what I had to do when I got the unlocked note 10+ from samsung.  I get my ultra tomorrow I am just going to play around with it using wifi and then bring it to the store Friday morning to get it activated.  They said, it would work on the 6th.  if not i will just move the sim again.  

There was another thread on here where a comcast rep said it would work on the 6th.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have done this with the previous 3 phone with no issues. Now, with the S20 Ultra unlocked, everything works except the mobile data. Called and chatted with Xfinity and they say that the unlocked version is not compatible with them and that if I wanted it to work that I would have to replace the one I just got yesterday with their version, which was not available until today. 

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

4 years ago

Wait until Friday.  Comcast rep here said they will work on Friday.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

4 years ago

@catnapped wrote:

BYOD IMEI tester is showing my unlocked S20 Ultra as valid now.

Wooohooo me too.  I have a 9:30 appointment at the store to get it activated.  I've been using it with wifi since I got it on Wednesday LOL  Still have the note10+ for phone calls and such

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

BYOD IMEI tester is showing my unlocked S20 Ultra as valid now.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Beware, not all Xfinity reps give correct info! I called before I ordered my Samsung S20 (not the + or Ultra) and was told the unlocked version would work.... The data stopped working this morning (worked for several days). I contacted them today and after 6+ hours of troubleshooting, misinformation, disconnections, speaking to a supervisor and then a floor manager, I found out that I was incorrectly told that the 20 would work on their service. So I spent $1000 on a phone, plus accessories that won't work with their service. The best solution they came up with was giving me a $100 credit towards my monthly bills, with a phone that doesn't work with their service! Hope no one else gets wrong info from them because they are useless at coming to a resolution. I'm calling corporate tomorrow and reporting them to the BBB.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here