Community Forum

S20 compatibility

Highlighted
New Poster

S20 compatibility

I purchased the s20 base model from Samsung. It's unlocked. Will it be compatible with Xfinity Mobile?
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: S20 compatibility

I am wondering the same thing but dont want to get it there and then have xfinity tell me, I cant show up with an unlocked phone and I can only get it from them. Quite franky its a better deal all around and price from SS. We shouldnt be forced to buy theirs if there are better offers unless they would price match it.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to create the thread on the XM forum. I’m happy to provide further details on this topic.

Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G and S20 Ultra 5G open-market devices purchased unlocked directly from Samsung.com, or from major retailers like Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart and Costco, will be supported for BYOD beginning on March 6, 2020.

Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G and Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G devices brought over from other carriers, like AT&T or T-Mobile, will not be available for BYOD until approximately three to six months after the March 6, 2020 launch.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Does the latter stipulation also include Verizon-carrier branded devices or just ones that are from the other networks that Xfinity doesn't use?

And being that the unlocked S20 Ultra is a "U1" version (SM-G988U1) is *that* going to be an issue since I recall something about other U1 devices in the past being termed "incompatible"?

Highlighted
New Poster

Hi,

Does this BYOD after March 6th in the US include the base model S20 5G unlocked phones purchased via Samsung?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I received my base S20 yesterday and it does not work correctly. Calls and texts go through, but data doesn't work reliably. I had LTE for a couple minutes last night, but now it's full bars of nothing or a couple bars of 3G. I've already ordered a SIM from another carrier and plan to switch.

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity personnel on chat and tech support phone call, all said that the IMEI for the unlocked ones purchased from Samsung were not compatible and that we need to trade in the ones we got and purchase directly from Xfinity in order for them to be compatible. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I was told ahead of time and confirmed today with Tier-2 support that the Unlocked S20+/S20 Ultra from Samsung directly, and other vendors will be supported starting tomorrow 03/06 (no exact time provided). I suppose we can confirm tomorrow if the Compatibility Checker accepts the IMEI number.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I just spent over an hour with CS and was told 5g support is launching tomorrow.

I don’t understand why 3G/4GLTE is not able to work.

I received my s20 Unlocked from Samsung yesterday. Calls, texts, even SMS work but no data.
Highlighted
Contributor

Dumb as it sounds, maybe they have it so that data will only work on a 5G plan (even if the phone is backward compatible)?

Highlighted
Contributor

If you have the phone, try the BYOD tester again.  Mine was coming up incompatible early this morning now it works.

Highlighted
New Poster

Similar to @catnapped, my S20 Ultra's IMEI was showing as incompatible earlier, and after about 6am March 6 in Seoul, South Korea time, it came up compatible. I would just take it into the Xfinity Store if you can, as you will need a new SIM card for it even if you have an existing number/phone. Here is what I did to activate my S20 Ultra BYOD today:
1. Check my IMEI on https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod/compatibility/device to ensure it is officially supported now.
2. Bring my existing phone that I want to transfer the number/line from and the S20 Ultra into the Xfinity Store, leaving the SIM card in the old device.
3. Tell the associate that it is a BYOD S20 Ultra and that IMEI is supported by Xfinity Mobile. They will program a new SIM card and transfer the old number, if needed.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Chris - I have an S20 that I purchased from Samsung pre-order. Xfinity mobile says my device isnt compatible when I enter in my IMEI number.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same!
Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity customer support told me they do NOT support the S20 base model on the network. Samsung recommends I return the phone and start a new order, or go to a new carrier.

Xfinity: this is a bunch of it. Only selling and supporting the expensive phones when including the base model, even unlocked, would not be an issue? Likely a reason for many users on different forums mentioning they're jumping ship to a different carrier.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It's not really their fault. Verizon runs the network and they're blocking the base model until they release their own 5G model. That won't happen until the summer.
Highlighted
New Poster

They just told me it’s not.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I was finally able to get LTE to work. I think the APN was reset after the phone update. The Access Point Name should be COMCAST.RSLR.VZWENTP

When data wasn't working, I had a different APN showing. The s20 won't let you edit the APN in Airplane Mode. I had to put the SIM back into my S9+, reboot it, verify the APN there, and then transfer it back to the s20.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I was able to get 4G/3G running. When I initially set up the s20, it grabbed (or perhaps I selected) the wrong APN.

I put the sim back into my s9+ and rebooted. The APN was showing correctly (COMCAST.RSLR.VZWENTP).
I then popped the sim back into the s20 and boom.

Visual Voicemail doesn't work. CS won't even try to work with me on an "unsupported" phone.

I downloaded YouMail. Seems legit.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

No.

I heard the same from CS.
The problem has nothing to do with 5g - Xfinity doesn't even offer it yet!

They don't seem to have the tech support chops to really work well with BYOD. If you're not confident in your ability to set it up yourself, pick a different phone or carrier.

I got mine working, but I used my old sim, and had to get YouMail for voicemail.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It is not, sadly. Verizon decided not to carry the base s20 because it lacks the mm-wave 5g antenna.

Rumor has it that Samsung will make a special version of the s20 for VZW (and presumably Xfinity, too) this Summer.

But...you can get it to work. It took some doing, but I managed. However I had to get YouMail since there was no help with Visual Voicemail.
Highlighted
New Poster

That worked for me, didn't have to put the sim into the old phone just changed the APN on the S20 ultra.
Thanks
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have the s20 base. My APN is the same as above, however, I can only connect to LTE. Any suggestions on getting 3G/4G to work?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How can Samsung call the S20 base 5G if it doesn't have a 5G antenna?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The S20 base model has a 5G antenna that works on AT&T and T mobile. It does not work on Verizon, thus it won't work on XM. The + and the Ultra have the Verizon compatible 5G antenna.

Verizon decided to use a different 5G technology than the other carriers. It's faster, but uses a different modem in the phone. Samsung chose not to include this VZW needed modem in the base phone.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info. Does anyone else feel totally shafted??
Highlighted
New Poster

my uocked s20 base works with
COMCAST.RSLR.VZWENTP as LTE 160mbps. I don't care about 5G.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Got it. Thanks for responding.
Highlighted
New Poster

I purchased a galaxy s20 ultra (grey) from Samsung directly unlocked. Put the IMEI number in on Xfinity's website when I got the phone, it was compatible. Move forward a day, I got a sim card for the new phone on Wednesday, it worked fine, had LTE data, call and texting all working fine. Now on Friday my phone only receives calls and texts, sends calls and outgoing calls and I'm (disconnected) from the mobile data network. After 2 hours online in chat with an Xfinity agent I'm told I need a new SIM card for my phone to get it to work properly even though I got a new SIM card 2 days earlier. I choose to go-to a Xfinity mobile store vs having Xfinity just ship me one in two days. I go-to the same store I originally went to and now am told my unlocked direct purchase from Samsung s20 ultra can't be added to their system. And I will need to return my phone to Samsung and purchase one from Xfinity to get a working phone. What gives! Xfinity won't offer the same discount I got from Samsung because I used Samsung points to purchase the phone. So I will pay about $350 more for the phone from Xfinity... It's unlocked ...
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sorry you’re getting the runaround. Reach out to ComcastChrisL here via a private message. He knows what he’s doing. Might take some time to get it all done but he’s been flawless for what I needed doing.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sorry I am new hear. How do I private message ChrisL?

I just bought an unlocked Samsung S20 plus from Samsung. I put in my current SIM for my Samsung S9 plus and it is working. I chatted online with Xfinity and they said my phone is not compatible yet. Yet I used the online compatibility link and it said my phone is compatible. Do I just use it or call back again to try to find someone that can change my device to Samsung S20 plus with the new IMEI?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Contributor

I'm just a lowly S10 owner but wanted to say it blew my mind when XM said VV only works with OLDER models. How in the??? What sense does that make??? I use Voxist now...
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChrisL I am being told that my S20 Ultra I bought from Samsung is not offically supported. Can you help? 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I got a chance to reach out to Chris. As others has mentioned here, Chris was able to help me setup my S20 plus. I just wanted to mention this here and wish all companies have employee like Chris.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I think you need to order a new sim card after you do the compatibility checker and have it attached to you S20's IMEI number.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

There are two ways to add a new BYOD phone to an existing line. Both require XM tech support assistance.

1. If you have the ability to add a new line to your account, go through the entire process of adding a new line, confirming the IMEI checker and ordering the SIM card. Do nothing with your old phone you’re trying to replace.

2. When you receive the new SIM card, activate it *with a new number*. Do NOT try and port an existing number, even though that’s what you really want to do.

3. Insert the newly activated SIM into your new phone. Power it up and make sure it works correctly. Send and receive some texts and calls. Surf the web using data.

4. Check the web site to confirm it’s a whole new successful line.

5. Power off the new phone. Leave it off.

6 Reach our to ComcastChrisL here via a private message and tell him exactly what you did and what you need done. Include your account number and the last 4 of your credit card as that’s needed for verification. Include the phone number and IMEI and SIM number of both the old/desired phone number/phone and the same info for the new one. Make sure you’ve detailed exactly what’s old and new and what you want moved where.

7. Wait. He will get back to you and will probably confirm what you want done.

8. He will then do his magic on the back end. When he’s done, your old number will be on your new phone, the new number you received upon activation will be cancelled and the old phone will also show cancelled. It will remain on your web site account until the end of the billing cycle and then disappear. Your call history and voicemails will be retained on your account.

9. If you are switching from Apple to Android or the other way around, make sure to ask that the personal hotspot and voicemail is configured correctly for the new phone you’re adding.

Makes sense?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The other way to move a line to a new phone is to keep the same sim and have Chris do it all on the backend. But that involves completely cancelling your old line then he rebuilds it as a new line with the new phone.

It works but if you treasure your phone number and have had it forever, personally, I’d rather not risk the cancelling and rebuilding of the line. You will also lose your voicemails and call history with XM if you do this.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChrisL Hi Chris, I can't find the blue private message button... thus a reply post here. I am a current Xfinity mobile customer and I want to purchase a Samsung Galaxy S20+ unlocked and a Galaxy S10+ unlocked directly from Samsung. As suggested by @steve061768 I want to ultimately transfer my two existing Xfinity Mobile numbers to the new unlocked phones then cancel/retire my existing phones. I want to check with you this can be done before I place the order for the new unlocked phones. You can private message me if it can be done. Thank you, Chris!.     --From Allen

Highlighted
New Poster

I see here that Samsung S20 would be compatible March 6th...however i just purchased a Samsung s20 and when I put IMEI number, it states it is not compatible. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChrisL I also purchased a s20 base unlocked MODEL NUMBER: SM-G981UZAAXAA. Looking at the Xfinity BYOD checker it is not supported but I see here that someone else got LTE to work. I don't care about 5G connectivity. Am I able to get this model phone to work with Xfinity? 

EDIT: I was able to get the S20 base working on LTE using the APN COMCAST.RSLR.VZWENTP. Will test for a few days. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Chris (Xfinity) I purchased the s20 from Samsung and it was not compatible. Can you help?
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Is it possible to be notified when I can bring my T-Mobile S20 Ultra over to Xfinity? I put in my EMI number and it says no good, buy a new phone which won't be happening. You say 3 to 6 months after March, what's with the delay? Thanks...
Highlighted
New Poster

I bought my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G Ultra unlocked from Samsung.  I orginally subscribed it's cellular service through Consumer Cellular which connected through AT&T and T-Mobile GSM towers.  After I switched and activating to Xfinity Mobile, I performed a Factory Reset for my Network Settings and set Mobile Network/Network mode to Global.  (You will need to setup all your WiFi and Bluetooth connection again after performing the Factory Reset of your Network Settings, so you may want to make note of these setting before hand.)  I tried other setting at Network mode but Global works best for me.  I now connect to CDMA/LTE Verizon towers.  I never have good signals from any cellular providers at home, so I use WiFi Calling which took a couple days to allow me to register location for the e911 information.  It takes that long for my new service from Xfinity Mobile to propagate throught their cellular network. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Hey Chris I bought a new s20 plus from xfinity today and it was working fine but now all I can do is talk and text my mobile data is not working at all. Everything works on wifi but once wifi is turned off I can't do anything can you help?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Try shutting the phone down and restarting.
Highlighted
New Poster

Any update when the Verizon S20 Ultra will be compatible with xfinity mobile? Just purchased a brand new one and the IMEI says it's not compatible. It's from Verizon.

Highlighted
New Poster

@ComcastChrisL any update to when a Verizon S20 ultra will be compatible with the xfinity service? I bought a brand new one and the website says the IMEI number is not compatible on the network even though i have some older android verizon phones that are.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello everyone,

Thanks again for keeping the conversation going.  We appreciate everyone's time and support!  As of now, the status of the situation remains unchanged.  The S20 base model is currently not supported by XM's BYOD program.

I'll make sure to post any developments on this front to this thread.    

Chris  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I wish I had researched this better. I too recently purchased a new Unlocked S20plus because my phone was stolen recently. I get it and it says that it cannot be used on xfinity 😞
 i put in a new xfiniti SIM card and have just been using the phone to surf at home on my wifi.

@ComcastChrisL  is there ANYTHING you can do?

Highlighted
New Poster

Hi Chris, just wondering if there's a new update on when the Samsung Galaxy S20 will be compatible with the Bring Your Own Device program, coming over from Verizon as my cell carrier. I know that it is generally 3-6 months after the release date of the phone, wasn't sure if that was being delayed due to Covid. Thank you for your help!