Pocho2003's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Sunday, February 23rd, 2020 5:00 AM

Closed

S20 compatibility

I purchased the s20 base model from Samsung. It's unlocked. Will it be compatible with Xfinity Mobile?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am wondering the same thing but dont want to get it there and then have xfinity tell me, I cant show up with an unlocked phone and I can only get it from them. Quite franky its a better deal all around and price from SS. We shouldnt be forced to buy theirs if there are better offers unless they would price match it.

Official Employee

• 

280 Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to create the thread on the XM forum. I’m happy to provide further details on this topic.

Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G and S20 Ultra 5G open-market devices purchased unlocked directly from Samsung.com, or from major retailers like Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart and Costco, will be supported for BYOD beginning on March 6, 2020.

Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G and Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G devices brought over from other carriers, like AT&T or T-Mobile, will not be available for BYOD until approximately three to six months after the March 6, 2020 launch.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

Does the latter stipulation also include Verizon-carrier branded devices or just ones that are from the other networks that Xfinity doesn't use?

And being that the unlocked S20 Ultra is a "U1" version (SM-G988U1) is *that* going to be an issue since I recall something about other U1 devices in the past being termed "incompatible"?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Hi,

Does this BYOD after March 6th in the US include the base model S20 5G unlocked phones purchased via Samsung?

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I received my base S20 yesterday and it does not work correctly. Calls and texts go through, but data doesn't work reliably. I had LTE for a couple minutes last night, but now it's full bars of nothing or a couple bars of 3G. I've already ordered a SIM from another carrier and plan to switch.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Xfinity personnel on chat and tech support phone call, all said that the IMEI for the unlocked ones purchased from Samsung were not compatible and that we need to trade in the ones we got and purchase directly from Xfinity in order for them to be compatible. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I was told ahead of time and confirmed today with Tier-2 support that the Unlocked S20+/S20 Ultra from Samsung directly, and other vendors will be supported starting tomorrow 03/06 (no exact time provided). I suppose we can confirm tomorrow if the Compatibility Checker accepts the IMEI number.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I just spent over an hour with CS and was told 5g support is launching tomorrow.

I don’t understand why 3G/4GLTE is not able to work.

I received my s20 Unlocked from Samsung yesterday. Calls, texts, even SMS work but no data.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

Dumb as it sounds, maybe they have it so that data will only work on a 5G plan (even if the phone is backward compatible)?

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

If you have the phone, try the BYOD tester again.  Mine was coming up incompatible early this morning now it works.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Similar to @catnapped, my S20 Ultra's IMEI was showing as incompatible earlier, and after about 6am March 6 in Seoul, South Korea time, it came up compatible. I would just take it into the Xfinity Store if you can, as you will need a new SIM card for it even if you have an existing number/phone. Here is what I did to activate my S20 Ultra BYOD today:
1. Check my IMEI on https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod/compatibility/device to ensure it is officially supported now.
2. Bring my existing phone that I want to transfer the number/line from and the S20 Ultra into the Xfinity Store, leaving the SIM card in the old device.
3. Tell the associate that it is a BYOD S20 Ultra and that IMEI is supported by Xfinity Mobile. They will program a new SIM card and transfer the old number, if needed.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Hi Chris - I have an S20 that I purchased from Samsung pre-order. Xfinity mobile says my device isnt compatible when I enter in my IMEI number.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Same!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Xfinity customer support told me they do NOT support the S20 base model on the network. Samsung recommends I return the phone and start a new order, or go to a new carrier.

Xfinity: this is a bunch of it. Only selling and supporting the expensive phones when including the base model, even unlocked, would not be an issue? Likely a reason for many users on different forums mentioning they're jumping ship to a different carrier.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

It's not really their fault. Verizon runs the network and they're blocking the base model until they release their own 5G model. That won't happen until the summer.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here