tyler889's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 7:00 AM

Closed

MMS sending and receiving issues

I switched from Verizon Wireless to Xfinity Mobile on 11/9/19. I brought my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S10 over to Xfinity. Since the moment I switched I have had issues with sending and receiving MMS and group text messages. The issue is when I have WiFi and Mobile data turned on. If I turn off WiFi the MMS will transmit. I did not have this issue when on Verizon Wireless. I talked to a Xfinity tech via chat and they said I should be able to have WiFi and Mobile data turned on at the same time and be able to send and receive MMS. He suggested I reset the network settings. I did this and I'm still having the same issue. I searched the forms and this appears to be an issue for others once they switched to Xfinity. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this issue?

Related post:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/MMS/td-p/3265469

@Comcast_Support 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Problem Solver

• 

749 Messages

4 years ago

@JCarruth130 wrote:
Cellular on....data off when on wifi i guess? Wifi calling off..only bc i was tired of.dropping.calls if i left wifi. Using stock samsung messaging app...it wouldnt work with verizon or any other app that worked based off your phone #

I suspect that you had cellular data on which is why you are able to send MMS.

Can you turn cellular data off. And see if you can still send MMS?

Thanks

XM does not charge for the data that is used for MMS, or for the data used for Voice and SMS. With 4G/LTE all voice, SMS, and MMS are actually using data, but the carriers do not charge you for that data. 

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Cellular on....data off when on wifi i guess? Wifi calling off..only bc i was tired of.dropping.calls if i left wifi. Using stock samsung messaging app...it wouldnt work with verizon or any other app that worked based off your phone #

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

4 years ago

Switched to Xfinity Mobile in late November  and bought two new Galaxy S-10 phones.  Normal usage when at home is wifi connected to our network which is a Arris SB6190 modem and a Linksys WRT 1900 ACS router. Never had an issues send photos via mms until recently. use the Google Messages app, but have the same issue using the Samsung default app, as well as the Verizon + app.

Both phones received the latest OS updated - one yesterday, one today, so that did not fix anything.

Now we need to shut wifi off in order to send a photo via mms.  Same issue on both phones.

This morning connected to restaurants wifi where we had breakfast and duplicated the issue - also conected to my neighbors Xfinity hot spot on his rental modem and duplicated the issue.

Called Xfinty Mobile support and the person I talked too was aware of other mms issues, but not this one. We tried several things - cleared cache, uninstalled/installed appp, connection reset,  removed simm, cycled phone, reinsserted simm card, etc...

So right now we can't send a photo unless we are not connected to wifi, so at least we know a work around, but this needs to be fixed.

Heading to the Xfinity store on Monday to see if they have any info and have them try it on another phone.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

It was off bc i had tried numerous times to send with airplane mode on and wifi on...no luck..only with my new hardware at home could i send.

Problem Solver

• 

749 Messages

4 years ago

Bob-mmk - See earlier post on 02-19-2020 for Samsung fix to be coming in March?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Oh I sure hope so! I'm still very unhappy with Xfinity. Does Anyone know of a carrier that does NOT do this? I saw over the internet that the other large carriers are doing the same...cant send pics on wifi.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Just to be clear on my earlier post....I can send MMS picture images when I am on any wifi network when I am not in my home. My wife and I cannot send a picture message with wifi on when we are in our home and connected to my Xfinity wifi. I can walk down the street out of range of my home network and send just fine. I was at the Xfinity mobile store and was able to send a picture message from there also. The nice young lady said I would not be charged while other source tell us picture messages are chargeable data messages. Why the mixed messages about chargeable message data. @ComcastChrisL 

@JCarruth130 seems to have found the only solution which requires new hardware. Personally I rent my modem/router from Xfinity and in typical Xfinity HCS fashion (Horrible Customer Service) it's bundled so there is no line item listing on my bill that tells me how much it cost per month. I know I can find it if I worked at it but it really shouldn't be that hard to find stuff on my bill. I guess.  upgrading and owning my own hardware will be a good thing and actually save in the long run. It might be best to only subscribe to Blast internet and get my TV through Apple TV and Hulu.  

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Then how do you explain the reason I get failed messages when just sending text? I have been having these issues for months, I try turning off wifi and it still fails, ultimately I end up re sending a few times put the phone down and forget about turning the wifi back on. I guess that's why I pay by the gig? I've been wasting my data and thinking about switching back to Verizon where this wasn't an issue. I have tried several times to contact Xfinity via text, Facebook messages and if it does go thru I still dont hear back. The phone option is unreliable as well resulting in dropped calls anytime I am on wifi as well

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

4 years ago

This problem seems to have a whole variety of flavors so I'll add my own unique one. 

I have three Samsung A50s in my household, all bought at the same time and all udpated to the same level of Android and apps.  My wife started to have MMS issues a couple of months ago so I dug into the problem through online searching with no definitive answers. Here's my situation.  All phones normally use Textra. 

1. My A50 has no problem in sending or receiving MMS, either at home or anywhere else that I have cellular service.  On my phone WIFI is always on and data is always turned off. 

2. My wife's A50 cannot send MMS unless WiFi is turned off. We haven't tried to send MMS with WiFi on but connected to a non-home network or someplace where WiFi is not available. Data is always off on her phone. This behavior started a few months ago. 

3. Our third A50 exhibits the same behavior as my wife's phone. 

So I am puzzled.  Three idential (as far as I can discern) phones using the same app.  One phone can send MMS reliably with data on or off, with WiFi on or off.   Two phones can't send (but can receive) MMS unless WiFi is turned off. Data on or off doesn't matter.  I have also tried the stock Samsung messaging app and the Verizon messaging app with no difference in behavior on any of the three phones. 

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

4 years ago

Saw that but not sure I buy it as some people are saying that they have the same issues with iPhones, and had a friend who has an S10 on Verizon, and he does not have an issue.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

My wife and ao. Have iPhone and have no issues. Only my note10. Makes me thing the samsung update Chris mentioned may be legit. Though i had an up to date samsung with sprint and didnt have this issue so... a new modem only fixes the issue at home. Not an acceptable fix IMO

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

According to corina you cannot connect to LTE, which is required for MMS, and wifi at the same time. You must turn off wifi to connect to LTE. This will be required before and after Samsung's "update". Had a note I with sprint and did not have this issue. Wife's iPhone send imessages, but she cant send me a picture either. My bet is imessages is different from mms, so it just appears to work on iPhone. This is 100% xfinity

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

So just spoke to cornelia via chat. She said Samsung's march update will address the issue, but the workaround before and after the update is to connect to LTE, which cannot be done while connected to wifi. So what is the update and how does it address the issue??? This is garbage. I'm cancelling

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

4 years ago

So the question is whether if your connected to wifi and mobile data if you will be able to send photos via MMS.  Still do not understand how this is not an issue for Verizon users and how a Samsung update will resolve what appears to be a Xfinity issue. Heading over to the local Xfinity store in the morning to see what they have to say.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same issue here. My wife and I have S10's that don't work at home. My Son has iPhone no problems
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here