sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I moved to an area that has Comcast and am very disappointed that I cannot get HBO Go via my Roku :(. While I still feel this should be fixed by Comcast, I did find a solution. I use it on my iPad and then stream via Apple TV. Not the most ideal but it does work and keeps my laptop free.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Also, I can still use my iPad while streaming, if I wish.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Wifi connectivity w/o cable connection; easy menu; cable boxes are dinosaurs without the prospect of future oil

Frequent Visitor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Hi Rog286713,

I can't speak for others, but for me I have a Tivo Series 3 HD, and a roku on the same television. I don't get ANY on-demand content from Comcast. So I use a product called PlayON. It's a bit of a hassle because PlayON requires my PC be on to use it on my Roku. I'd much rather just be able to get to HBOGO via the Roku like Version FIOS subscribers do.

Hope this clarifies the need?

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

@vpralston wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get HBOgo on my Roku?  I have HBO through Xfinity, but Xfinity is not one of the listed providers for HBOgo on the Roku player.  It appears to be a provider for Xbox but not Roku.  Why is that???

really?

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

11 years ago

Do yourself a huge favor. If there is any chance of ditching comcast and going with anyone other than them, do it! I changed to uverse 3 months ago and have zero issues. Twice the stuff at half the price, plus hbogo on roku. Drop comcast like a hot potato!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

HBOGo not available on the Roku if your an Xfinity customer is only 1 thing that is not up to par for their service.

I would still complain, because if they offered everything on HBOGo through their own on-demand it would completely suck, because you have to watch on-demand through your cable box, PC or X-box.

Have you actually tried to take advantage of Xfinity's slogan- 'Any Screen, Anytime, Any Where' using the Xfinity TV Player app for mobile devices?  It's a ruse to lure in customers.   It's total BS!!!!!

Let's start with "Anywhere"  You have your iPad or favorite tablet connected using 4G cellular, guess what?  You aren't watching anything, because the app requires that you are connected wifi.  I guess Xfinity thinks wifi is everywhere.  Even their Xfinity WiFi hotspots they promote don't exist.  That CableWiFi project(http://www.cablewifi.com/)..what a joke if your an Xfinity customer.  You can't sign-in to the partner hotspots. 

To get around the WiFi requirement you'll need a 4G mifi hotspot.  Connect your mobile device to your mifi wireless and you are now connected "wifi". But why should I have to pay for another device on my wireless account.

Here's why being able to connect over 4G cellular is important... Our family likes to travel, hotel wifi can suck so bad that your connection is about as good as a 56k modem, in other words useless.  Connect over cellular and problem solved. Traveling by car or RV with the family... wanna watch something, not happening without a mifi.

Anyscreen -- Same scenario, traveling in your RV or car and want to watch something, sure as long as someone holds the iPad so everyone can see.  If you want to connect your mobile device into your vehicle's video system, good luck.

You get this total BS message--"We're sorry.  Because of security protocols specified by our Network partners, you can enjoy this great video on your mobile device only."  Comcast must negotiate the sh**tiest contracts ever with their Network providers.

Anytime-- so long as those times are when reliable wifi is available and you can be in a comfortable position to watch it on the mobile device's screen.

Amazing that comcast builds all these restrictions in yet other providers are incorporating Slingbox for mobile availibility for live  and VOD programming.  Time Warner offers a free channel on the Roku that turns it into a full HD cablebox.  The channel only works when connected to a cable modem on your TWC account, but that beats $8/month for each additional cablebox.

HBOGo mobile app is just that, a truly mobile app.  It works on your phone or tablet.  It works if you're connected WiFi or through cellular 4G.  Want to connect your mobile device into your vehicle's video system or to an external display, go for it.  Whether the device outputs through Apple TV, HDMI, component, or composite it works.

Thank you HBO for a great app that keeps your content separate from Comcast/Xfinity's incompentent mobile app.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Some of us do not have a choice do to HOA contracts or other such group agreements.

Regular Contributor

• 

210 Messages

11 years ago

Hbogo is not just a mobile app it is a streaming app. It is a website on pcs and laptops. It is on roku, Xbox and samsung smart TVs The app is blocked for comcast customers on roku and samsung TV. It is also blocked on android tablets if u try to connect it with hdmi to a TV.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Am very disappointed to learn today that COMCAST/Infinity does not support HBO GO on the Roku 3 streaming player.

What's funny about this is COMCAST's current slogan is "entertainment anytime, anywhere, any screen".  

Yeah, Right.

Not supporting one of the leading streaming boxes in the industry would be laughable if it didn't make watching  HBO GO on my 60" TV (Hi Def 1080p, Dolby 5.1 Surround) nearly impossible (and thats assuming you take time to research, figure-out, and install one of those poorly designed, deficient, disappointing gerry-rigged workaround apps available on the Roku.

Trying to watch HBO GO on a large format, Hi-Def TV with Surround is an experience ranging from merely inconvenient to unwatchable to just plain impossible.

How far behind does COMCAST lag behind the rest of cable industry on this isue?

ALL of the folowing cable companies support HBO GO on Roku 3:   

Astound, AT&T U-Verse TV, Atlantic Broadband, BendBroadband, Blue Ridge Communications, Bright House, Buckeye CableSystem, Cable ONE, CenturyLink Prism, Charter, Cox, DISH, EPB Fiber Optics, GCI, Grande Communications, GVTC Communications, Hawaiian Telcom, Home Telecom, Home Town Cable Plus, Hotwire Communications, HTC Digital Cable, LUS Fiber, Insight Communications, Massillon Cable/CPI, Mediacom, MetroCast, Midcontinent Communications, Nex-Tech, Openband Multimedia, Optimum, RCN, Service Electric Broadband, Service Electric Cable TV, Service Electric Cablevision, Suddenlink, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS, Wave Broadband and WOW! 

All those cable companies support HBO GO on Roku but not COMCAST.  

Until there is a critical mass of customers impacting their profitablity or reputation, I suspect COMCAST will continue to lag behind the industry standards/expectations on this issue

_______

... and don't get me started about bringing a COMCAST supported HBO GO app to the Apple TV !

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

Have you actually tried to take advantage of Xfinity's slogan- 'Any Screen, Anytime, Any Where' using the Xfinity TV Player app for mobile devices?  It's a ruse to lure in customers.   It's total BS!!!!!

I fell for that “any screen, any time” line last fall. Then I found out that it was not live on “any screen, anywhere” (as I had and have again with Dish). Interesting that they would not stream on demand or recorded content over 3G or 4G on the phone (not enough bandwidth supposedly) but would stream just fine by connecting my phone to my 3G MiFi device from Virgin Mobile. To stream live tv, you have to be AT HOME, and pay an extra 10 bucks a month for the “service.” With Dish, I can stream LIVE television and recorded content over my phone anywhere I can get a 3G connection. With an iPad, you can download recorded shows for later viewing off-line. I’m pretty sure, although I have not personally done it myself, that you can connect the tablet or phone to the TV, I know I can with the PC, that I have done.

Trying to watch ESPN live through the Comcast site was impossible, literally. The program would never stream.

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@jhusosky wrote:
Some of us do not have a choice do to HOA contracts or other such group agreements.

Wrong. If you have a "private" roof, balcony, or yard (not common to other tenants or residents), under Federal law, you cannot be prohibited from having a sat dish for Direct or Dish television. I have posted the link earlier in this thread, but a simple google search will find the relevant website. Even an apartment dweller who has a private balcony that has the line of sight to the sat can have a dish.  In other words, if you are

1. in a townhome with the roof that covers your dwelling only in the vertical space (in other words, it can be connected to other townhomes but if you were standing on the room "looking straight down" you would only be over your living space)

2. Living in any private dwelling, incluiding houses in HOA or deed restricted communities

3. In any dwelling (apartment included) where you have a private space not shared by other tenants, i.e. a balcony

YOU CAN HAVE A SATELLITE DISH. 

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@vincent228 wrote:
Do yourself a huge favor. If there is any chance of ditching comcast and going with anyone other than them, do it! I changed to uverse 3 months ago and have zero issues. Twice the stuff at half the price, plus hbogo on roku. Drop comcast like a hot potato!

Been there, done that, no hassles, half the cost, Dish rules for me.

Contributor

• 

65 Messages

11 years ago

Just to clarify, Hbo Go does now work via HDMI out on android phones and tablets. I'm still switching to Dish though.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

@DMilnerJax wrote:

@jhusosky wrote:

Wrong. If you have a "private" roof, balcony, or yard (not common to other tenants or residents), under Federal law, you cannot be prohibited from having a sat dish for Direct or Dish television. I have posted the link earlier in this thread, but a simple google search will find the relevant website. Even an apartment dweller who has a private balcony that has the line of sight to the sat can have a dish.  In other words, if you are

1. in a townhome with the roof that covers your dwelling only in the vertical space (in other words, it can be connected to other townhomes but if you were standing on the room "looking straight down" you would only be over your living space)

2. Living in any private dwelling, incluiding houses in HOA or deed restricted communities

3. In any dwelling (apartment included) where you have a private space not shared by other tenants, i.e. a balcony

YOU CAN HAVE A SATELLITE DISH. 

You are correct tha I can have a Dish, which I do (the blue guys not the red ones like yours), but what you fail to understand is that I have no choice but to also take/pay for the Comcast package the HOA has. Newer HOAs our city has put in opt-out options but not for existing contracts. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here