tbonecopper's profile

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

Monday, June 10th, 2019 2:00 PM

Closed

Linux Workarounds?

Has anyone found a workaround for Linux yet?

Despite modern Linux distros having FireFox and Chrome, not just "Chromium", and a computer powerful enough to stream, I get "Your system isn't compatible with Xfinity Stream".... there's no reason for this Comcast. 

Has anyone found a workaround? Changing the user agent does not work, they're doing something else to check the OS. 

FWIW - I'm on Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@tbonecopper wrote:

Has anyone found a workaround for Linux yet?

Despite modern Linux distros having FireFox and Chrome, not just "Chromium", and a computer powerful enough to stream, I get "Your system isn't compatible with Xfinity Stream".... there's no reason for this Comcast. 

Has anyone found a workaround? Changing the user agent does not work, they're doing something else to check the OS. 

FWIW - I'm on Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

the stream app is not authorized nor approved for linux OS. you can use windows 10 perhaps on another partition to access the streaming website.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

so, when your entire network structure works off of linux for obvious security and stability issues, your going to tell people to use windows. Your genius eludes nobody, probably a few million plain desktop users of Linux, guess you just want to give another reason to cut the cable so to speak, on a hilarious note, I can watch on discovery go, my NASCAR no problem on Linux just not on xfinity, so we can see you the failure in this gap.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

You have to have Flash Player installed and can try masking as Chrome on Windows or macOS (have to fake the UA string in developer tools in Chroimum based browsers)

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have been running an instance of VirtualBox inside my Ubuntu workstation for this.  It seems like they are going to have to switch everything to HTML5 soon as the browser reminds me everytime I launch that Flash support is going away.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@jdayRhino wrote:

I have been running an instance of VirtualBox inside my Ubuntu workstation for this.  It seems like they are going to have to switch everything to HTML5 soon as the browser reminds me everytime I launch that Flash support is going away.

*nix is not currently a supported platform.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I keep seeing on this site "*nix is not a supported OS" yet Android is based on Linux which is a *nix varient, as is macos (mach and BSD to be exact), so what gives? why the Linux hate at comcast?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@LinuxUser1 wrote:

I keep seeing on this site "*nix is not a supported OS" yet Android is based on Linux which is a *nix varient, as is macos (mach and BSD to be exact), so what gives? why the Linux hate at comcast?

because they are not the same. it isn't hate it is no announced intent to support *nix

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

@LinuxUser1 wrote:

because they are not the same. it isn't hate it is no announced intent to support *nix

It IS the same, do you want to try it out before you knock it?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I wish it worked on Linux too.  I'm trying to get it to run on a Kali box right now. 

Having said that, it isn't the same.  One of the reasons a lot of people like Linux is they can do what they want with their install.  Basically, no two Linux boxes are alike and that makes it a nightmare to support users when there are so many variables in the devices they are running.

And yes their infrastructure is likely running some flavor of Linux but, there is a marked difference between infrastructure and client side hardware.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

They are living in the past......

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here