mromanaggi's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, November 17th, 2019 6:00 PM

Closed

xg1v4 box inputs

My new xg1v4 comcast box does not have audio (red & white) inputs for my surround sound unit but does have an open HDMI input in the back; can I get an audio adaptor to HDMI converter and use that open port for my surround sound?  I want surround sound while I am watching comcast programs, my old comcast box had audio inputs but the new box does not.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

adding... red and white RCA jacks is line out stereo (left/right) modern digital audio is now carried on the HDMI cable.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

That hdmi port is disabled. Does your tv have audio out that you can go from there to the receiver instead?

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@mromanaggi wrote:

My new xg1v4 comcast box does not have audio (red & white) inputs for my surround sound unit but does have an open HDMI input in the back; can I get an audio adaptor to HDMI converter and use that open port for my surround sound?  I want surround sound while I am watching comcast programs, my old comcast box had audio inputs but the new box does not.

Doesn't your TV have audio out?    Red/white connectors were just left/right anyway.  If you want surround you need optical or HDMI connections.   You might be able to use HDMI ARC from a different TV input to your surround sound unit.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

Optical connections have been around for 30 years or so - hdmi came somewhere around 2002.   But the point still stands that you don't get surround sound with the red/white connections.  You either need optical or hdmi inputs or you need 6 discrete analog connectors to get surround.   If your audio system has more than two speakers it must have  those inputs.   Or, if you are OK with 2 channels, you may be able to configure your TV headphone output to use line out levels and use an adapter to RCA plugs.

Edit:  I guess there was something called Dolby Pro Logic that was used for a surround effect with just two channels of audio before digital systems were invented.  You might have one of those.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

my tv has an optical audio out and a green audio out for headphones but my surround sound system does not have those inputs; my surround sould is ten yers old.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

my tv has optical audio out buy my surround sound does not have an optical audio input.  My surround sound system is ten years old

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here