Community Forum

slow remote response...

Regular Contributor

Re: slow remote response...

@jakatak wrote:
Again....why was my satellite service instantaneous.

Satellite services require everything the remote can do to be local.  Did it, for example, offer good voice recogition?  A large assortment of app operations?  Preference settings for your account that affect streaming services?  Access to cloud recordings?

Regular Visitor

That made zero sense
Contributor

Absolutely same experience where the slowness is much more obvious and much worse in the evenings (vs. during the morning/afternoon).  I actually was going to post the same thing from an observation standpoint, but haven't bothered to collect any actual data yet at this point.  Will try to pay more attention to that aspect also moving forward.

Frequent Visitor

Per @Cody21 - I also have Very slow response time on many functions.  Here is a "new wrinkle" (hint?).   I have been running on one of the older X1 boxes for a long time (ARRIS AX013ANM).  There have been *NO* 'slow' behaviors as described in this thread.   Today, I swapped in a NEW XG1v4-A (AX014ANM) and the slow behaviors have begun (it's worse on the base DVR, but also ~noticeable on the two satellite XiD-C boxes.   It has nothing to do with the remote (I have both the older XR11 and the new XR15 paired to the same system).   Nothing else has changed (same hardware, remotes & coaxes, same internet, same room/couch/etc).  The new system started slow and is getting worse.  I will go ahead and do the "refresh" dance, but I am not encouraged by all the frustration on this thread and NO USEFUL RESPONSES from COMCAST.  I have not returned the old AX013ANM yet ... I might be "downgrading" ... I can live without 4K which seems to be the only attraction.

Regular Visitor

I only switched do to constant weather outages.
I don’t care about the apps, or voice recognition.
I miss the immediacy of channel changing, fast forward etc.
Frequent Visitor

That seems to make alot more sense than "Have you tried changing the batteries in the reomte/is the remote pointed at the box"......

It seems to me (imho), that there is a bandwidth issue, as in either being used (remember to turn off your "Xfinity" wifi hot spot function.), or some process is running. Rebooting the box may "fix" it for a while, but it comes back.

Like above poster discovered, his timeline seems to coincide with "demand", folks watching/listening to the tv in the am, then go to work, then demand drops. And it comes back again when folks start coming home.

Kind of sounds like ATT DSL type of symptom. As in just plain total bandwidth.

It's being choked by equipment limitaions........????

Contributor

Original posts on this started in July. This bug is worse late in the day for me. Sun 11 17 delay was SO bad I shut down all. After restart things seemed fine until Mon. Was agin SO bad I gave up. Last night 11-19 same problem. With others reporting the same problem you'd think CC would step in. I'm not a techie and don't feel I need to figure out the known problem. Signals have been checked and I was told all are fine.
I pay to much for shoddy service that the supplier knows about. Not so awesome Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

Been having the same issue for the past couple of days. What good is using the DVR if you can't fast forward. That is, if you can bring up the listing in the first place.
Regular Visitor

TV was constantly freezing as I attempted to fast forward a program.
It is pitiful.
Sadly, bad weather or not....I am considering satellite tv again.
No slow streaming. Instantaneous fast forward!!!
Frequent Visitor

At least with my Satilite I never had a signal or speed issue - NEVER Other then the very rare case of weather interferance. Since i got this system I have had 4 major issues so far. Been 2 months. Not a good sign.

Regular Visitor

I agree
Expert

all: please try a test. install and open the xfintity TV remote app. for iOS press the TV icon at top to select the set top box to control. on android, go to settings and select the set top box to control.  select channel listings and select a differnet channel's program and select watch. changes fast? for iOS touch the 4-direction arrow icon and access the direct control (similar to your own remote). try pausing, playing, channel up/down. does it respond quickly?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Rusty,  I am not using any app.   I am using the comcast remote and this slow response happens.  Let the base equipment process work   All I want is the equipment to work without all the bells and whistles.  Let comcast fix the issue and let them tell us when they will fix the issue.   For once in 5 years I would like to see a solution to an Issue.  Yes I am not happy with what I have to pay for from this company.  You may love comcast but I am not happy with what I have.  Getting off the soap box.

Expert

@fedup978 wrote:

Rusty,  I am not using any app.   I am using the comcast remote and this slow response happens.  Let the base equipment process work   All I want is the equipment to work without all the bells and whistles.  Let comcast fix the issue and let them tell us when they will fix the issue.   For once in 5 years I would like to see a solution to an Issue.  Yes I am not happy with what I have to pay for from this company.  You may love comcast but I am not happy with what I have.  Getting off the soap box.

the idea is to test your local ability to operate the server without communicating 'up' to comast servers. if it works fast with the app but not with your local remote then there are issues that a tech can fix so it is fast. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

I have had the techs here several times.  I have been told each time that the levels are fine,  that the node I am on is heavily loaded and that it is suppose to be upgraded.  I am not sure if that has taken place or not.  I still have the issues so I would guess that it has not been done.  All I want is to stop having issues every week.  I don't think that is too much to ask of the cable provider.  I still have FIOS in another area and for 16 years I have had 3 issues during that time, all with downed cables.  That is the type of service that I am looking for from comcast and so far they have not been able to deliver it.

Frequent Visitor

There is zero reason for us/me to do Comcasts troubleshooting bits. It's on their plate...

Period.....

Regular Contributor

@carlestes wrote:

There is zero reason for us/me to do Comcasts troubleshooting bits. It's on their plate...

Period.....

Totally TOTALLY agree.  It would go far if COMCAST would pipe up on this topic - either acknowledge the issue & that they're "Looking into it" ... or they "Can't reproduce", thereby at least researching into the complaints.   And the suggestion that there is some sort of "over load" on the lines to our houses is crazy.  If that were the case, explain WHY things suddenly get better for a bit after a "SYSTEM REFRESH" ?????  Makes no sense.  I stand by my assertion that there's some sort of memory leak in the X1 box. ...  IMHO...  

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

And the suggestion that there is some sort of "over load" on the lines to our houses is crazy.  If that were the case, explain WHY things suddenly get better for a bit after a "SYSTEM REFRESH" ?????  Makes no sense.  I stand by my assertion that there's some sort of memory leak in the X1 box. ...  IMHO...  

But it doesn't make much sense that some boxes have it at different times either.   Several months ago I had the problem and just started sending a refresh from my phone app nightly before going to bed so I didn't have to wait for it to complete, but then the problem went away and hasn't come back.

I'd guess it was regional server capacity or upstream communication issues but don't see how the refresh fixes that.

Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

And the suggestion that there is some sort of "over load" on the lines to our houses is crazy.  If that were the case, explain WHY things suddenly get better for a bit after a "SYSTEM REFRESH" ?????  Makes no sense.  I stand by my assertion that there's some sort of memory leak in the X1 box. ...  IMHO...  

But it doesn't make much sense that some boxes have it at different times either.   Several months ago I had the problem and just started sending a refresh from my phone app nightly before going to bed so I didn't have to wait for it to complete, but then the problem went away and hasn't come back.

I'd guess it was regional server capacity or upstream communication issues but don't see how the refresh fixes that.

the refresh checks for update upon reboot, clears memory that was in use, and installs a fresh copy of the operating system/control from the storage drive to the STB's ram. the hub has a DOCSIS modem and rebooting that causes each 'channel' it uses for data both up and down to be selected and tested during the initialization 

Valued Contributor

While I understand what you are saying the refresh does to the system, why is it that the customer needs to do this daily, weekly, or monthly??  I don't feel that I should have to be doing these things to fix something that keeps coming back.  Why doesn't comcast do that every night on every box remotely, we know that they can do that or FIX the issue?  What you are recommending is again in my mind is a temporary solution that has been pushed out to the customer to fix a design issue within their system.  I for one am tired of not having issues fixed.  I would love to never to have to be coming to these forums to see if what I am seeing as any issue is just my issue at my location or if others are also seeing them.  So far what I am seeing that I am not the only one seeing the problem.  I would love to see someone from comcast replying to what has been going on for a very long time.  But, I am not going to hold my breath.  I know most people do not openly complain and tend to live with issues, but I refuse to fall into that category.

Contributor

Couple more comments from my standpoint.  I just upgraded to the super triple play package and thus Comcast had to send a tech out to install a new modem (to handle the gig internet / docsis 3.1).  

So I asked him about this problem as well.  First off, he said all of my signal levels look great - so just confirming what many others have said that it doesn't appear to be a signal strength issue.  The tech also said he hears about the problem from others and does experience the same thing personally (mostly in the evenings when demand is higher).  So in his opinion it's a demand/volume issue that gets addressed on the back end as necessary.  (I should have, but didn't ask him if that was regional, etc.).  Also I noticed a new STB version (105.1.1) with a release time of 11/12/19, so if there is something contributing to the issue on our STB side then hopefully that will help also.  We shall see.  

Silver Problem Solver

@konvajw wrote:

Couple more comments from my standpoint.  I just upgraded to the super triple play package and thus Comcast had to send a tech out to install a new modem (to handle the gig internet / docsis 3.1).  

So I asked him about this problem as well.  First off, he said all of my signal levels look great - so just confirming what many others have said that it doesn't appear to be a signal strength issue.  The tech also said he hears about the problem from others and does experience the same thing personally (mostly in the evenings when demand is higher).  So in his opinion it's a demand/volume issue that gets addressed on the back end as necessary.  (I should have, but didn't ask him if that was regional, etc.).  Also I noticed a new STB version (105.1.1) with a release time of 11/12/19, so if there is something contributing to the issue on our STB side then hopefully that will help also.  We shall see.  

That makes sense since the remote is controlling software on a server and not locally on the X1 box.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

The part that doesn't make much sense is why a system refresh on a slow box helps temporarily if the problem is the server capacity.   I wonder if the last box to (re)connect gets the first position in the queue, pushing everyone else back.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

the refresh checks for update upon reboot, clears memory that was in use, and installs a fresh copy of the operating system/control from the storage drive to the STB's ram. the hub has a DOCSIS modem and rebooting that causes each 'channel' it uses for data both up and down to be selected and tested during the initialization 

The part : "Clears Memory that was in use" is precisely my point.   If there is/was a MEMORY LEAK of some sort that just eats up available memory, THAT'S why a "REFRESH" would  fix the issue.  Seems to me that the COMCAST Techs should be able to identify THAT issue is in fact it is the case.

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

The part : "Clears Memory that was in use" is precisely my point.   If there is/was a MEMORY LEAK of some sort that just eats up available memory, THAT'S why a "REFRESH" would  fix the issue.  Seems to me that the COMCAST Techs should be able to identify THAT issue is in fact it is the case.

But that should affect everyone equally.  Which isn't the case - mine has not been slow for months.  Unless they give people in different areas different versions of the software.

Regular Contributor

@lesmikesell wrote:
@Cody21 wrote:

But that should affect everyone equally.  Which isn't the case - mine has not been slow for months.  Unless they give people in different areas different versions of the software.

NOt what I meant - I'm referringto the MEMOORY on your local X1 Box ...  not at COMCAST's server(s).....   The REFRESH clears that local Memory on your X1 box - if I properly read the other poster's description of what happens on a X1 SYSTEM REFRESH.

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

NOt what I meant - I'm referringto the MEMOORY on your local X1 Box ...  not at COMCAST's server(s).....   The REFRESH clears that local Memory on your X1 box - if I properly read the other poster's description of what happens on a X1 SYSTEM REFRESH.

That is what I meant as well - as the part that doesn't make sense.   If we all run the same software, why are some systems, in some regions, having memory problems that need to be cleared while others never do?

Frequent Visitor

So as promised, I returned my newer X1 dvr (XG1v4-A,  AX014ANM) and replaced it with a one of the older X1 boxes (ARRIS AX013ANM) that I had been using for a long time.  So far, I have not experienced any of the slow responses experienced and discussed here.  I HAVE still seen various behaviors that are different than this dvr model was delivering a few weeks ago (ongoing software revs.?) but so far, I am happy to have backed up one rev.   I will let the forum know if I have any functional problems to contribute and I will be watching the comments to see when I might brave the newer XG1v4-A and try 4K video.  Xfinity had also scheduled me for a tecnician visit (to test signal quality) but once my replacement box was up a running again, I canceled that tech visit.   fwiw - I also had a long conversation with an Xfinity tech on the phone and he seemed to understand my issue. He looked up my reference to this forum as he "pushed" this issue up his internal technical tree.  He said that resolution (attention to?) these things are typically "months" out, in the best of cases.  So that reinforced my plan to retreat to older hardware for the time being.  I't been nice to have an Xfinity store in town ... which makes it easy to wander in for replacement hardware.    Good luck, ALL.  Thanks for this discussion (can you image how much more frustrating this would be without it)?  In the words of the dolphins - "Thanks for all the fish!"

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@konvajw wrote:

That makes sense since the remote is controlling software on a server and not locally on the X1 box.

Interesting, I did not have to setup my wifi on my remote.

Only had to pair it to the cable box.

The remote communicates to the box, then the box goes out and does what the remote told it to do. IF the remote communicates to the servers, and then back to the box blah blah blah, then how come no updates for the remote, only the controller.

ANY other reason like batteries (NOT THAT), pointing at the box (NO NOT THAT EITHER), is just plain hogwash.

If all your signals are in the sweet spot, connections tight, cables in good condition, then that leaves only 2 options:

1. Comcast is having bandwidth issues over their whole network, and is slowly becoming "ATT like" with usage, i.e. when folks come home and start loading the "system"....

or

2. Comcast messed up the code that they send out to "refresh" the boxes. THere could be "Flashing" issue when they send out the "update(s).

Oh, and get this, I just got a reply from Comcast regarding this topic. and it said it was answered. I looked at it quickly, and guess what? That was from SEPTEMBER, the answer was, and you know what the answer was?

Batteries.......Go figure.....

Regular Contributor

Yep - got that ridiculous COMCAST EMAIL as well - pointing me to the "SOLUTION" ... which as we all can attest to is NOT the Solution ..

... still executing REFRESH 2 times per week ....   REALLY COMCAST ?????  Not so "awesome" ...

Expert

@carlestes wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@konvajw wrote:

Interesting, I did not have to setup my wifi on my remote.

Only had to pair it to the cable box.

The remote communicates to the box, then the box goes out and does what the remote told it to do. IF the remote communicates to the servers, and then back to the box blah blah blah, then how come no updates for the remote, only the controller.

ANY other reason like batteries (NOT THAT), pointing at the box (NO NOT THAT EITHER), is just plain hogwash.

If all your signals are in the sweet spot, connections tight, cables in good condition, then that leaves only 2 options:

1. Comcast is having bandwidth issues over their whole network, and is slowly becoming "ATT like" with usage, i.e. when folks come home and start loading the "system"....

or

2. Comcast messed up the code that they send out to "refresh" the boxes. THere could be "Flashing" issue when they send out the "update(s).

Oh, and get this, I just got a reply from Comcast regarding this topic. and it said it was answered. I looked at it quickly, and guess what? That was from SEPTEMBER, the answer was, and you know what the answer was?

Batteries.......Go figure.....

the set top box uses a DoCSIS modem in the set top box or in a hub via MoCA. the remote communicates with the set top box, the software in the set top box communicates with the comcast server which responds with directions to the set top box. the remote does not connect to the internet directly.