New Poster

Re: slow remote response...

your suggestion worked, thanks

New Poster

your suggestion works, thanks

New Poster

Hope I can help. Had the same problems for a few weeks. Multiple box restarts, new batteries, yatta yatta yatta, nothing fixed it. Until...I changed my Arlo cam router connection to a different port in the back of my internet router. Cleared the issue immediately with my slow cable box response. Now my cable and remote work as fast as day 1. Hope this helps.
Regular Visitor

The fix for me was:
Xfinity button
Settings
Help
System Refresy
Regular Visitor

Well day two after Following suggestions and still responding as it should.
Thank you! Guys!
New Poster

I am having the same issue. Microphone makes a “boink” sound, and remote takes up to a minute to respond to the commands. Barriers changed, tried everything (off/on etc.)
Frequent Visitor

We just installed a brand new DVR system a week ago. So far it has been ok. The Remote Rewind, Pause and Fast Forward buttons were slow to respond. But today - It has been horrible. Almost unusable. Event he Gukde loads SLOOOOWWWWWW. First time we have seen this (only been a customer for a week). 30 days in our trial. They better figure this iut or we are dropping it. It is unusable as it is today.

Expert

@dwtucker63 wrote:

We just installed a brand new DVR system a week ago. So far it has been ok. The Remote Rewind, Pause and Fast Forward buttons were slow to respond. But today - It has been horrible. Almost unusable. Event he Gukde loads SLOOOOWWWWWW. First time we have seen this (only been a customer for a week). 30 days in our trial. They better figure this iut or we are dropping it. It is unusable as it is today.

call 800-Comcast or use the Xfinity my account app to have Xfinity call you. set up home appointment to fix your set top box signal levels. note that each command goes to comcast's servers so it is never 'instant'. the Xfinity TV remote uses internet to do the changes and may prove speed slowness is your connection to comcast's servers from the set top boxes.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I also have Xfinity Internet and my speeds are above 150 and have been for a week. Only today the TV box is slow.Internet is still fine.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@dwtucker63 wrote:

call 800-Comcast or use the Xfinity my account app to have Xfinity call you. set up home appointment to fix your set top box signal levels. note that each command goes to comcast's servers so it is never 'instant'. the Xfinity TV remote uses internet to do the changes and may prove speed slowness is your connection to comcast's servers from the set top boxes.

Well, the batteries in the remote excuse is now disproven, and I have to differ on the "remote uses internet" line.

The remote uses RF to communitcate to the cable box, it does not go out into the internet, thru your wifi router/modem, and then back to the box. Look at the cable connection to the box (has it's own, and IF you have internet, a separate connection to the actual modem for that.

The remote communicates to the box, and then the box does the work. Well,.......it used to.......

Regular Visitor

Unfortunate that you are basically streaming via the internet to change channels.
Dish was instantaneous.
Also....my sound system shuts down about 10 seconds after turning the tv off.
Frequent Visitor

I peformed a System "Refresh" - Not Rest and afterwards it returned to normal performance.

This tells me it is NOT the conncetion or the signal.

This tells me it is NOT the remote as some have suggested.

This tells me it is NOT interferrance from my Internet Modem, Router or network.

We will see how long this lasts and if the slowness returns.

Frequent Visitor

@dwtucker63 wrote:

I peformed a System "Refresh" - Not Rest and afterwards it returned to normal performance.

This tells me it is NOT the conncetion or the signal.

This tells me it is NOT the remote as some have suggested.

This tells me it is NOT interferrance from my Internet Modem, Router or network.

We will see how long this lasts and if the slowness returns.

I have done the "refresh", and yes, it does seem to help for a while. Within a day or two, it's back. I have scheduled "the updates" to take place early am (3a.m.), but this is neither here nor there.

Whatever the "updating" does, or whatever they do with the boxes, it's poorly implemented.

Regular Visitor

Factory Reset the X1 Voice Remote
  1. Press the Setup button until the LED at the top of the remote changes from red to green.
  2. Press 9-8-1.
  3. The LED will blink green twice to indicate that the remote was reset.
      This worked for me. Easy peasy and can do it when ever I need to. 
    and no I am just a lowly custome who plugged in to the search engine "reset x1 remote. This was the top answer and it worked for us immediately. Having said this we got the latest modem and maybe the remotes needed to reconnect with that. Just musing there. But I am happy now with it and will always use that option as a go to try. 
Regular Contributor

I have tried ALL of the suggestions posted here ...  X1 Refresh. Replaced the REMOTE. Power/Reset the X1. 9-8-1 as previously suggested ...  

I am convinced that the REAL underlying issue is that the Remote is actually going over the Internet to PULL & display the GUIDE as well as change channels -- or anything probably.  After the X1 has been turned OFF for like 8 hours (overnight), the very initial GUIDE pressed takes for-EVER ..  Honestly, like 5-8 seconds to Pull the data & display the GUIDE.  After that initial display of the GUIDE, it still is slow - but more like 2-3 secs. I know that doesn't SOUND like a long time, but in no way is this thing ever Instantaneous (like DTV or DISH was).   Even just changing channels is slow -- and PS, that whole "reminder that you can just say "ABC"" to change channels - rather than key "5" - just adds to the delay. I can actually change channels faster than using the MICROPHONE feature, just by keying the channel number & enter.   (And WHY can't we remove those stupid HINTS? I am so tireed of seeing them! They only ADD to the DELAYS !!!)

Not Awesome ...  but Slooooow... 

Regular Visitor

Why was my Dish remote blistering fast, and this is akin to dial up for a modem.
Expert

@jakatak wrote:
Why was my Dish remote blistering fast, and this is akin to dial up for a modem.

when your signal levels are correct it is very fast and responsive.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Signal levels?
Expert

@jakatak wrote:
Signal levels?

your set top box communicates with comcast servers. when signal levels are noisy or too highly amplified or too low a signal the server may not receive the information the first time so it is resent until received (the delay). 

Regular Visitor

What is also frustrating is the turning off process. I turn off my television and my JBL sound bar takes about ten seconds after before it turns off.
It’s almost comical.
New Poster

I did a hard reset of the box by unplugging it for 1 min and I have not had the lagging issue since. Hope this helps.
New Poster

I've had Comcast before as well. I switched to Direct TV about 5 years ago, and was very pleased with it until 5/24/19 when I awoke to an error message about having lost the signal. I was told that they could send a technician out in 4 days. This was over the Memorial Day weekend and I had significant viewing plans. I was very upset and threatened going elsewhere for my TV service provider. Like you I was already paying for Xfinity broadband to the tune of $92/month. Add $220 to that for Direct TV, and that's a lot of money. I would also subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket for $350 over 5 months during the football season. Sooo, I visited the Xfinity store and now have broadband and TV for less than $200/month. It was worth giving Xfinity another try due to my anger at Direct TV and the economics. Unfortunatley, they don't have NFL Sunday Ticket! BTW Direct TV took another monthly payment after service ended that I've still not received back. I spent 4 hours on the phone with them on hold and being passed back and forth to different units without getting a promise to return the money. These TV providers have locked our access choices down to nada. Thanks for your reply!

New Poster

Nice reply! Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@dwtucker63 wrote:

Uh, sorry to tell you this, but it was!! Well maybe not "instant", but it was milliseconds, not the 5 to 8 seconds it sometimes takes..........now....

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I agree. I performed a refreash and it fixed it. About a week later it came back. I did another refreash and it fixed it. So far so good. Refreashing once  week is unacceptable.

Frequent Visitor

@dwtucker63 wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I performed a refreash and it fixed it. About a week later it came back. I did another refreash and it fixed it. So far so good. Refreashing once  week is unacceptable.

I am starting to wonder if they are using the "bandwidth" for something else these days.

If you go into your settings, and look at "signals", and if you are in "the sweet spot" for the signals coming in, then what else can it be?

I do know you should turn off your xfinity hotspot function, so others are piggybacking on your signal...

Valued Contributor

I for one am against having to do a refresh weekly.  That is nothing but a temporary solution and not a true fix.  I find all to often that comcast seems to push temporary solutions instead of truly fixing a problem.  In the four years that I have had comcast I have seen this far to many times in several of their products, I hate to say that about a company but so far they have not solved several issues my area, it has been some sort of work around.  Getting off the soap box.

Regular Contributor

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago and just started using the web login or app to send a refresh as I was going to bed every few days so I wouldn't have to wait for it to complete.  But whatever it was went away in a few weeks.  I assumed it was a software update that fixed it, but who knows - maybe it was upstream bandwidth or server capacity in my area.

Expert

@fedup978 wrote:

I for one am against having to do a refresh weekly.  That is nothing but a temporary solution and not a true fix.  I find all to often that comcast seems to push temporary solutions instead of truly fixing a problem.  In the four years that I have had comcast I have seen this far to many times in several of their products, I hate to say that about a company but so far they have not solved several issues my area, it has been some sort of work around.  Getting off the soap box.

that is not how any of the data 'load' works. the channels/data and even the xfinitywifi data are all on different frequencies and do not affect each other. slow response is due to bad upstream signal conditions from set top box to comcast servers. fix that and your response will be fine.

Regular Visitor

And how do you fix "that"?
Also......my sound bar doesn't turn off when the video turns off. It literally takes 10 seconds for the sound to turn off.

Regular Contributor

@jakatak wrote:

Also......my sound bar doesn't turn off when the video turns off. It literally takes 10 seconds for the sound to turn off.

The sound bar is probably being controlled by the TV over HDMI CEC not directly by the remote itself.  If it is paired with the device, the remote sends an IR signal just like the device's own remote and would work at at the same speed.   HDMI CEC controlling power takes some time while both ends think about it.   This is unrelated to anything happening in the X1 box or xfinity system.

Regular Visitor

Is there a fix for the sound bar?
When I had DISH.....the sound and video shut off at the same time.
Regular Contributor

Try pairing it again -  I don't think your setting is working.  Or just ignore it since you don't really have to wait for it to complete.  I have my receiver controlled by HDMI CEC because there is a better line of sight to the TV than the receiver from several sitting positions.   The timing is a little strange but it doesn't hurt anything.

Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

@jakatak wrote:

The sound bar is probably being controlled by the TV over HDMI CEC not directly by the remote itself.  If it is paired with the device, the remote sends an IR signal just like the device's own remote and would work at at the same speed.   HDMI CEC controlling power takes some time while both ends think about it.   This is unrelated to anything happening in the X1 box or xfinity system.

You might try connecting your sound bar to your tv directly with a 1/8 audio patch cable, not using HDMI, so when you shut of power, the tv goes off, and the sound stops when the tv itself powers down. Just have to recheck your auto on/off settings on the soundbar itself for it to "wake up" when you hit the power button on the comcast remote...