Community Forum

slow remote response...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: slow remote response...

Not sure who told you it's a separate CMTS. I worked on these since day one. I fully understand the cable path forward and reverse But what I'm suggesting is to try a different channel and see how your remote responds. I have seen it more than once. It's just a suggestion to try and give more info. I'm interested if others have noticed this.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Is this just certain model boxes having the issue. Mine is an older DVR with the audio and digital audio outputs. I'm on my second box. Same issue. Comcast person replacing box said it's because it's an older box and said I should get the newer box with the ARC HDMI audio out. This would require a new stereo receiver. So please post which box you have.
Highlighted
Expert

@spbutler wrote:
Is this just certain model boxes having the issue. Mine is an older DVR with the audio and digital audio outputs. I'm on my second box. Same issue. Comcast person replacing box said it's because it's an older box and said I should get the newer box with the ARC HDMI audio out. This would require a new stereo receiver. So please post which box you have.

a tech visit will find the wiring problem. it is inside or outside of your home. you could try running the set top box on the modem's connection to see if it is the outlet (as a test of home wiring). In some cases the locations are not conveniently close enough to try.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Box finally failed. Stuck in software download. Replaced box with a different model. XG1-A. Old box had component outputs and HDMI. New box has just HDMI plus optical audio output. Problem resolved.
Highlighted
Expert

@spbutler wrote:
Box finally failed. Stuck in software download. Replaced box with a different model. XG1-A. Old box had component outputs and HDMI. New box has just HDMI plus optical audio output. Problem resolved.

if the new set top box is xg1-a it is the oldest x1 DVR and has only 5 tuners available and notable historic audio drop out problems. swap for 4k DVR (no clock) for 6 tuners and 4k capability.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My stereo receiver only has RCA and optical and digital coax in. They tried to give that to me before and told me I need to buy a new stereo with HDMI. Thanks for the info. But back to the original issue. It seems the other 2 boxes was the problem for remote response, voice remote issues and tiling and rebooting. I'm not ready for a new stereo.
Highlighted
Expert

@spbutler wrote:
My stereo receiver only has RCA and optical and digital coax in. They tried to give that to me before and told me I need to buy a new stereo with HDMI. Thanks for the info. But back to the original issue. It seems the other 2 boxes was the problem for remote response, voice remote issues and tiling and rebooting. I'm not ready for a new stereo.

like you i'm not ready to replace my Sony receiver. I put in the xg1v4 (4k) and a breakout box (4 HDMI in 2 out and audio out via optical) from Amazon because i was adding another HDMI device (roku ultra) to that location and needed more inputs. wife missed the 'clock' but we had an old digital clock that is now back in service to replace the DVR's clock.

Highlighted
New Poster

I had the older box as well for some reason even though it was installed in May 2019 when I left Direct TV and returned to Comcast.

A week ago we had a snow storm that knocked down a tree that took out local power lines as well as a cable wire coming to my house. After many redirects over three days by customer service I finally reached someone who ordered a technician to come out and repair the line.

The Technician couldn't reach the line with his ladder but called in a favor from a nearby bucket truck to swing by my property. The Technician rewired the cable coming into the house that he could reach,  and then stopped in and told me that the cable feed routed to my house was connected to a power pole at the front of my neighbor's property a couple of hundred feet away rather than the power pole at the back of my propery only some 40 feet away. Working with his bucket buddy, they relocated my cable feed to the nearby pole. It dramatically increased signal strength. He also switched out the old style box with the most current version. These changes fixed the issue of slow speed menu loading as well as the inability to use voice commands.

I was very pleased with the knowledge and quality of service provided by this young technician.

Highlighted
New Poster

Turned off the DVR/control box for 2 or 3 minutes and when we turned it on again, remote was back to normal. We'll see how she keeps on keep'n on. Thanks for the suggestion.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

So, I've just finished reading 4 pages because my new x1 voice remote just started (after 2 weeks) lagging about 10 seconds for anything! Brand new box, remote & batteries. Tech had to come out because the 2 new side boxes weren't working right. Booster replaced, equipment outside replaced & new connections on wires.

I know it isn't the remote, the batteries, the lines, the signal, the connections. That doesn't leave a lot else. The sad part is that this thread is almost 6 months old and there still seems to be no answer.

Edited: my other two voice remotes work just fine with no lag. Someone needs to explain that.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I had 2 boxes that did this. 3rd box was ok.
Highlighted
New Poster

I know this will sound like bull but the issue is truly that xfinity wants you to pay to have a technician come tell you everything is fine. I had a tech scheduled to install services that I was told didn’t work. When I found out they do I canceled the cable with the internet still working. The day that the tech was supposed to come they intentionally shut off my cable and said it was because I needed a tech. They made excuses literally saying that “sometimes the tap is hot” and that it’s because the phone I don’t use (cheaper plan deal) is the reason. They tried to make me change to a more expensive plan without the phone and order self installation kits. I’m the end I just stuck to my guns and demanded my services back and one morning they were fine. I guess “the tap” got “warm” again. They’re just messing with us so we pay more. NOT KIDDING.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@Strosity
Trust me from a tech’s point of view, no tech wants to come out to your house just to tell you everything is fine.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

@TerReuv wrote:
So, I've just finished reading 4 pages because my new x1 voice remote just started (after 2 weeks) lagging about 10 seconds for anything! Brand new box, remote & batteries. Tech had to come out because the 2 new side boxes weren't working right. Booster replaced, equipment outside replaced & new connections on wires.

I know it isn't the remote, the batteries, the lines, the signal, the connections. That doesn't leave a lot else. The sad part is that this thread is almost 6 months old and there still seems to be no answer.

Edited: my other two voice remotes work just fine with no lag. Someone needs to explain that.

you or someone will need to examine the cabling, ends, and splitters as well as total wiring inside your home. The X1 devices are 2 way communication to comcast servers and also communicate to each device in the home (using MoCA). how many devices (including modem/gateway) do you have on the coax? where it comes into the home is there a splitter? more than one cable being used? an amplifier? are all the outlets 'home runs" to the demarcation box? are all the set top boxes X1 boxes or do you also have a mixture of DTAs?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The tech already did all of that. He replaced a lot and it all worked fine. This afternoon it started working correctly again.
Highlighted
Contributor

This is nonsense that this is going on for so long in a thread marked 'Solved.'

We've had the same problem intermittently from time to time over the past few years. Typically it lasts a few days to a week plus and then it goes away.

The unresponsive or slow to respond X1 remote started being slow again 3 days ago. It typically is fine during the day and then it starts to lag around 4-5PM ET and later. Resetting the box 'fixes' the lag 100% of the time but only for a short period of time. The earlier the problem starts and the earlier a reset is done = the greater chance it will happen again during the later evening. It is almost 100% of the time functioning fine the next morning at roughly 5AM ET whether a reset was done or not.

Batteries are new. Line of site is fine. Within 10 ft of the box. WORKS on the TV no matter what. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Try a different box. That fixed mine. 3rd box. Different model. Ok for 3 weeks.
Highlighted
Contributor

Good for a solid week. 

Good, ALWAYS, during the day.

Creeped back up last night. Last NIGHT.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@BobsBlitz wrote:

Good for a solid week. 

Good, ALWAYS, during the day.

Creeped back up last night. Last NIGHT.

When mine had that problem some time ago I just got in the habit of sending a system refresh from the web account login or phone app as I was going to bed so I wouldn't have to wait through the restart and it would always be OK the next day.   Eventually whatever was causing the problem was fixed and hasn't returned to this area.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Here's a thought:  How about COMCAST Engineering FIX the darn problem????  There is definitely a bug here... I stand by my ascertion there's a MEMORY LEAK. This is NOT being caused by a poor signal or a faulty X1 Box that needs to be replaced.  It's NOT the Internet Connection (proof? Turn OFF your Router when the problem occurs - doesn't fix anything.)

That's my self-Diagnosis and sticking to it... This has been going on for a Loooong time. FIX THE DARN THING !!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

Here's a thought:  How about COMCAST Engineering FIX the darn problem????  There is definitely a bug here... I stand by my ascertion there's a MEMORY LEAK. This is NOT being caused by a poor signal or a faulty X1 Box that needs to be replaced.  It's NOT the Internet Connection (proof? Turn OFF your Router when the problem occurs - doesn't fix anything.)

That's my self-Diagnosis and sticking to it... This has been going on for a Loooong time. FIX THE DARN THING !!

I agree it is a Comcast problem, but a memory leak would affect everyone running the same software and that's not the case here.   And turning off your router is irrelevant.  The X1 system works for people who do not have internet service or routers.  My guess is a regional lack of server capacity or a local bandwidth bottleneck in the upstream direction - but it's still not clear how/why a reboot gets you priority in those queues.   Since I no longer have the problem I can't test anything but it would be interesting to see if the phone 'TV remote' app works at normal speed when the actual remote is slow.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have the latest box and it is super slow with the Guide.
For example,
Click channel down, it doesnt move down for several seconds!
Unacceptable.
It's the device software!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Visit an Xfinity office and see how it works there.

Highlighted
Expert

@Johnny99993 wrote:
I have the latest box and it is super slow with the Guide.
For example,
Click channel down, it doesnt move down for several seconds!
Unacceptable.
It's the device software!

the set top boxes communicate with comcast servers when you press the down button on the guide. Your set top box seems to have a bad upstream communications problem. if you have checked the cable ends to be sure they are tight then calling 800-Comcast and letting a tech check out the problem. It could be in you rhome or out of your home. do any of your other set top boxes have the same problem?

Highlighted
New Poster

The so called solution “SOLVED” is simply a cover-up.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@Sirjames303 wrote:
It looks like this is a problem throughout the Xfinity system and Comcast has no desire or is unwilling to recognize this as a problem. Has anyone noticed that all of the experts have zero likes but many many people have posted the same exact problem? As another user stated this has been going on for years. Come on Comcast pull your head out of your ........ and help get this issue resolved. And for heaven sake add some high DEF channels! At least make all of the movie channels HD!

Just an FYI; I have never had slow response on my four X1 boxes using both remotes.  I prefer the XR11 over the XR15, which I hardly ever use.

I have XR15 and XR5 remotes and have experienced slow downs with both units, but I have noticed that it was occurring after 4-5 PM my local time and would happen until 10-11 PM.  Now with so many people at home I am experiencing it just about any time during the day into the evening.  Given that observation I have felt all long it is  a "Load Issue" on the network and nothing more.  I know that some areas are still using copper and other areas are fiber. which might account for the difference in a given area seeing this issue.  It is my understanding that copper does not have the capacity that fiber does.  That is MHO on this issue until I see something different.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Nothing personal "Ben"@comcast, but you keep stating over and over, check your cable ends, splitters, tight connections, etc etc etc...

All well and good, and the VERY FIRST THIG we all have done. And yes, we (read others) have had the Comcast Tech come out, looks at the signals, and says they're good (or he makes an

"adjustment" outside on the cable feed coming in to the home. I guess it's some type of "choking coil" or "attenuator" something like that to clean/boost the signal. (The same way they can limit you channel line up), another story.

So, all of this "Number 2" stuff is just eye rolling fodder...

I still suspect that Comcast makes more money "reallocating bandwidth" (which is my suspicion), and just putting a "Solved" badge, does not make it "Solved", just make Comcast look stoopid..

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yep !  Totally Agree ..  

Highlighted
New Poster

What is your location?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Mine has still been good for 6 weeks since I replaced the box the 3rd time.
Highlighted
New Poster

I see this was posted in 2019 and it is now 2020, however, I also see that no one has explained the importance of having a good HDMI connection. I had a latency issue for several weeks and finally talked to Xfinity support. I was told to check my connections, which I had already done, all looked good. The technician had me uplug my HDMI connection and plug it back in and this corrected my latency problem.

Highlighted
New Poster

where is the connection problem usually?  Inside the house (wireless/gateway) or from the street to the splitter?  Splitter to the room?  We have a very long run from the street box.  200+ feet.