raycurras's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 17th, 2019 3:00 PM

Closed

slow remote response...

hi...two weeks ago, I have been experiencing extremely slow reponse from my control...the only solution so far is power cycling the xfinity "box", then all becomes normal again...but again the same happens at the next day...can someone help?...thanks...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@konvajw wrote:

Couple more comments from my standpoint.  I just upgraded to the super triple play package and thus Comcast had to send a tech out to install a new modem (to handle the gig internet / docsis 3.1).  

So I asked him about this problem as well.  First off, he said all of my signal levels look great - so just confirming what many others have said that it doesn't appear to be a signal strength issue.  The tech also said he hears about the problem from others and does experience the same thing personally (mostly in the evenings when demand is higher).  So in his opinion it's a demand/volume issue that gets addressed on the back end as necessary.  (I should have, but didn't ask him if that was regional, etc.).  Also I noticed a new STB version (105.1.1) with a release time of 11/12/19, so if there is something contributing to the issue on our STB side then hopefully that will help also.  We shall see.  

That makes sense since the remote is controlling software on a server and not locally on the X1 box.

Interesting, I did not have to setup my wifi on my remote.

Only had to pair it to the cable box.

The remote communicates to the box, then the box goes out and does what the remote told it to do. IF the remote communicates to the servers, and then back to the box blah blah blah, then how come no updates for the remote, only the controller.

ANY other reason like batteries (NOT THAT), pointing at the box (NO NOT THAT EITHER), is just plain hogwash.

If all your signals are in the sweet spot, connections tight, cables in good condition, then that leaves only 2 options:

1. Comcast is having bandwidth issues over their whole network, and is slowly becoming "ATT like" with usage, i.e. when folks come home and start loading the "system"....

or

2. Comcast messed up the code that they send out to "refresh" the boxes. THere could be "Flashing" issue when they send out the "update(s).

Oh, and get this, I just got a reply from Comcast regarding this topic. and it said it was answered. I looked at it quickly, and guess what? That was from SEPTEMBER, the answer was, and you know what the answer was?

Batteries.......Go figure.....

Contributor

• 

158 Messages

4 years ago

Yep - got that ridiculous COMCAST EMAIL as well - pointing me to the "SOLUTION" ... which as we all can attest to is NOT the Solution ..

... still executing REFRESH 2 times per week ....   REALLY COMCAST ?????  Not so "awesome" ...

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@carlestes wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@konvajw wrote:

Couple more comments from my standpoint.  I just upgraded to the super triple play package and thus Comcast had to send a tech out to install a new modem (to handle the gig internet / docsis 3.1).  

So I asked him about this problem as well.  First off, he said all of my signal levels look great - so just confirming what many others have said that it doesn't appear to be a signal strength issue.  The tech also said he hears about the problem from others and does experience the same thing personally (mostly in the evenings when demand is higher).  So in his opinion it's a demand/volume issue that gets addressed on the back end as necessary.  (I should have, but didn't ask him if that was regional, etc.).  Also I noticed a new STB version (105.1.1) with a release time of 11/12/19, so if there is something contributing to the issue on our STB side then hopefully that will help also.  We shall see.  

That makes sense since the remote is controlling software on a server and not locally on the X1 box.

The remote communicates to the box, then the box goes out and does what the remote told it to do. IF the remote communicates to the servers, and then back to the box blah blah blah, then how come no updates for the remote, only the controller.

ANY other reason like batteries (NOT THAT), pointing at the box (NO NOT THAT EITHER), is just plain hogwash.

If all your signals are in the sweet spot, connections tight, cables in good condition, then that leaves only 2 options:

1. Comcast is having bandwidth issues over their whole network, and is slowly becoming "ATT like" with usage, i.e. when folks come home and start loading the "system"....

or

2. Comcast messed up the code that they send out to "refresh" the boxes. THere could be "Flashing" issue when they send out the "update(s).

Oh, and get this, I just got a reply from Comcast regarding this topic. and it said it was answered. I looked at it quickly, and guess what? That was from SEPTEMBER, the answer was, and you know what the answer was?

the set top box uses a DoCSIS modem in the set top box or in a hub via MoCA. the remote communicates with the set top box, the software in the set top box communicates with the comcast server which responds with directions to the set top box. the remote does not connect to the internet directly.

Contributor

• 

158 Messages

4 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

@carlestes wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@konvajw wrote:

or

the set top box uses a DoCSIS modem in the set top box or in a hub via MoCA. the remote communicates with the set top box, the software in the set top box communicates with the comcast server which responds with directions to the set top box. the remote does not connect to the internet directly.

Yep ... and people can see this themself ... just TURN OFF your Internet ROUTER ... your X1 Box & Remote will still function...   🙂

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

I noticed today that on certain channels the remote responds slowly and the voice remote saying something is wrong try again. I try a different channel and it seems fine. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

It might mean it is time to replace the remote batteries.

You also might be too far from the X1 box.

Again, it is NOT the batterieote ,and it is NOT being to far from the remote. This "theory" has been disproven far too many times. The remote uses RF to transmit the commands to the set top box, NOT IR (those, infra red transmitting devices are susceptable to distance (one the batteries get weak) and direction.

The X1 remote is RF, "radio frequency transmitting, you can be in the next room, with the door closed, and yet it still works!

Come on give up this weak non-excuse.

It is either the coding of the OS for the set top boxes got hosed up, or it's simply a bandwidth issue (as in ATT DSL fame).

PERIOD.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Since it's an RF remote and certain channels and frequencies have the issue or are worse than others I believe this is in the shielding of the RF tuners in the box. And when I hold down the voice button it doesn't always recognize it. But I change to a different channel and frequency and it does. It also interferes with the Xi boxes in the other rooms causing tiling when holding down the voice button.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Are you sure you have the batteries in the remote facing the right direction?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Have you recently dropped your remote recently?

Contributor

• 

158 Messages

4 years ago

@Jimchrobr wrote:
Are you sure you have the batteries in the remote facing the right direction?

.. I ... JUST ... CAN'T ....      

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@McDabbs wrote:
So not sure exactly what's going on, but restarting the x1 dvr box cut the lag completely, so am I going to have to restart it every week? Oh, I haven't even had it for a week yet.

X1 set top boxes power reboot every night over-night (early hours of the morning). 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

So not sure exactly what's going on, but restarting the x1 dvr box cut the lag completely, so am I going to have to restart it every week? Oh, I haven't even had it for a week yet.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Yea, just doesn't make sense that if it does reset every night, then why didn't my remote lag cease to exist the next day? Only when I personally reset it does the lag cease.

Contributor

• 

158 Messages

4 years ago

... or maybe the REBOOOT/RECYCLE of the X1 clears memory that was chewed up ... (e.g., by a MEMORY LEAK).. 

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

I can understand a reboot clearing memory but not how a manual one would have a longer effect than an automatic nightly one.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here