Community Forum

netflix stutter

Most Valued Poster

Re: Stuttering video

@Galvin wrote:

When you get a new box.  All your recording on the harddrive are on the cloud instead. But your recording list.  The list that tells you what your box will record next is not lost since thats stored in the cloud anyway.  When you record new shows they'll be stored on the harddrive in the new box

I swapped boxes several times before I got the 4K, and never lost my recordings, they just went to the cloud

Having recordings only on the cloud after a box swap is not a postive thing for those like me who ONLY watch recordings on a TV.  Not everyone is hooked on streaming on another device. I cannot imagine watching recordings on my phone or tablet. A tiny screen vs TV? Why unless a person travels a lot ( like I  did before retirement) and does not have access to their home TV/DVR and even then I would wait and watch on TV. I have asked Andrew for clarification that nothing will download to a new DVR hard drive after a swap. Keep getting different stories.

Frequent Visitor

I switched boxes serveral times.  Every time the content from my old box was automatically copied to my new box.  It seems like it works for some people but not for others?

Diamond Problem Solver

@TerriB after a swap nothing is physically downloaded, it is access to those 60 hours of recording that is given. The only thing physically on the hard drive of the DVR after a swap is the recordings made from the time of swap going forward. The cloud recordings are not just for traveling, if a physical recording fails, the cloud copy takes its place

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@Orampc , it would depend on the amount of recordings, 60 hours is the limit.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I love all this DVR box vs cloud talk but all Comcast needs to do is fix the Netflix problem!  I was told by an employee on the phone that it would be fixed by the end of January.  Nope!  Then Morgan stated they were working on it, maybe and all we get is well you can switch out your box and retain 60 hours of your recordings.  Just fix it!

Most Valued Poster

@Orampc wrote:

I switched boxes serveral times.  Every time the content from my old box was automatically copied to my new box.  It seems like it works for some people but not for others?

Not according to what Andrew just posted.....this is why I am confused

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
@TerriB after a swap nothing is physically downloaded, it is access to those 60 hours of recording that is given. The only thing physically on the hard drive of the DVR after a swap is the recordings made from the time of swap going forward. The cloud recordings are not just for traveling, if a physical recording fails, the cloud copy takes its place

Orampc said all his DVR recordings were copied to the new box (aka hard drive) and you responded to him that its only 60 hours and  in another message to him you stated that its 'access' to those 60 hours of recordings that is available which says to me that they are not on the hard drive but are on the cloud. See why I am so confused? They are either copied back to the box (hard drive) or they are not....please explain.....which is it and if is only the access to the recordings how is that Orampc sees his on the new box?  I apologize for saying the cloud recordings are used when people travel. Its true but of course many use phones and tablets to view recordings rather than the TV .

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastAndrew

@CCAndrew wrote:
@Galvin
It’s not all recordings that you have access to after a box swap, it’s the last 60 hours of recordings made.

Andrew....can you clear this up please. 60 hours of DVR recordings that were on the DVR hard drive would download to a new DVR hard drive or just to the cloud for viewing on other than a TV? This has always been foggy.

I've done one X1 swap and it appeared the Cloud did not copy to the new DVR; they just stayed in the Cloud and were accessible from there.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

The cloud recordings after a swap are listed in the same fashion as the physical recordings(same list). Since orampc didn’t state how many, just “all”, it would be safe to assume they were at the 60 hour limit or under. Remember, it looks like the recordings are physically there but they’re not, it’s just “accessible” from the cloud through the dvr
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastAndrew

@CCAndrew wrote:
@Galvin
It’s not all recordings that you have access to after a box swap, it’s the last 60 hours of recordings made.

Andrew....can you clear this up please. 60 hours of DVR recordings that were on the DVR hard drive would download to a new DVR hard drive or just to the cloud for viewing on other than a TV? This has always been foggy.

I've done one X1 swap and it appeared the Cloud did not copy to the new DVR; they just stayed in the Cloud and were accessible from there.

Thanks RobertWy....Orampc says all his were copied back to his box after the swap and Andrew indicated that they are only  accessible on the cloud but then told Orampc only 60 hours would copy back to the box so my head is spinning. I can't believe that some users see their recordings copied back to a new box and some don't....jeez

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
The cloud recordings after a swap are listed in the same fashion as the physical recordings(same list). Since orampc didn’t state how many, just “all”, it would be safe to assume they were at the 60 hour limit or under. Remember, it looks like the recordings are physically there but they’re not, it’s just “accessible” from the cloud through the dvr
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

Andrew...the fog may be lifting.  Lets say I have to swap out my box. How will the recordings from the old hard drive that are now only on the cloud appear on the new box  recording list when I go to watch ? Will they look like they did before  or will they be "On Demand" which would eliminate the option of FF. Just trying to visualize what we would see on the DVR and how they would 'operate'  after a swap for those 60 hours of recordings.

Diamond Problem Solver

@TerriB
Like I posted above, the Cloud DVR recordings are part of the physical recordings, you won’t notice a difference.
So you can visualize for yourself, pick a 30 minute show and record it and then unplug your DVR., plug it back in when it’s over. That recording will be a cloud recording because the physical DVR wasn’t working(another good reason to have the cloud is for when the physical DVR fails, which was where this thread started because of).

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
@TerriB
Like I posted above, the Cloud DVR recordings are part of the physical recordings, you won’t notice a difference.
So you can visualize for yourself, pick a 30 minute show and record it and then unplug your DVR., plug it back in when it’s over. That recording will be a cloud recording because the physical DVR wasn’t working(another good reason to have the cloud is for when the physical DVR fails, which was where this thread started because of).

Ok thanks...I am not going to get any further into this.  Yes this discussion did start with a failed DVR and that would be my situation ( God forbid) as I would not voluntarily swap for the new 4K box as it would not enhance our experience.  We did have a failed DVR many years ago but it was long before the cloud and we lost dozens of recordings...nightmare.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Netflix lag from box

Thank you for reaching out to us on the Forums, I would be happy to look at your account from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name exactly as it's listed on the billing statement? To send a private message click on my name, then click "Send a message".

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Regular Visitor

Netflix App Stuttering

I'm experiencing stuttering on the Netflix app on my X1 box. I've had the X1 box for a few years now, and I'm assuming I just need to trade it in for a new one. It looks like this is a known existing issue... Thanks again Comcast!

Official Employee

Re: Netflix App Stuttering

Hi, FeeWeasel. Thank you for posting publicly first, we appreciate that. Welcome to the community by the way! There is a known issue with Netflix on certain models of X1 DVR boxes. I saw your private message and I will be replying back shortly to discuss box swap options. Shipping will be $15. Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Shipping will be $15.00, isn't that special.  How about fixing the problem?  The last we heard from Comcast was back in February.  I can get TDS service and that is looking better and better.

Contributor

I think it’s obvious by now that Comcast has no interest in solving the issue or is unable to do so, probably the former.
Silver Problem Solver

@mfrank1 wrote:
I think it’s obvious by now that Comcast has no interest in solving the issue or is unable to do so, probably the former.

I suspect part of  the problem is that the majority of Netflx users have no issues.  Have you tried the Netflix reset?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-x1-app-frozen

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@mfrank1 wrote:

I suspect part of  the problem is that the majority of Netflx users have no issues.  Have you tried the Netflix reset?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-x1-app-frozen

Thanks for your input, Robert. I've reset EVERYTHING multiple times, replaced my box and had all my wiring checked and some of it replaced in three home visits.  Indications of an upcoming fix posted on this board have never come to fruition.

Contributor

Or other users have it and are unaware of this forum thread, or don’t care that they have it or decided to stream Netflix. I have been a Comcast customer for over 20 years, and am thinking I need to examine other options. I have also had techs out multiple times , resets etc. I need rca jacks for my sound system so the X4 box doesn’t work. Plus have read on another part of the forum that there is a volume issue with the X4 box. If it is a numbers game then Comcast may have to lose some customers before it is fixed
New Poster

Have same problem but can’t figure out how to private message you, need to do whatever is necessary to fix this. Thanks
New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem.  Tech came out and replaced the DVR box, but this resulted in no change.  Additional information:  When I stream Netflix on a non-DVR Comcast box, the DVR box exhibits the stuttering effect on recordings and Live TV.  So it appears that just by having the Netflix stream on the cable network connection within the house affects the X1 DVR box.  Perhaps the DVR is reacting to what it sees as some type of sync or command pulse in the Netflix stream.

Contributor

@Steven1224 wrote:

I am experiencing the same problem.  Tech came out and replaced the DVR box, but this resulted in no change.  Additional information:  When I stream Netflix on a non-DVR Comcast box, the DVR box exhibits the stuttering effect on recordings and Live TV.  So it appears that just by having the Netflix stream on the cable network connection within the house affects the X1 DVR box.  Perhaps the DVR is reacting to what it sees as some type of sync or command pulse in the Netflix stream.

Sorry to hear you've joined the ranks of unhappy Xfinity customers.  If your box was replaced with a new X4 box and you continue to have stuttering, that would mean the problem is escalating, as previous X4 owners have reported good results.  If it was replaced with another older DVR box, don't expect a solution.  Xfinity clearly doesn't care about fixing the issue.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My DVR was replaced by the 4K one and all the issues have been resolved its been about 2 monthys now and no issues.

Official Employee

Hello everyone. There was a fix that was expected to roll out a few days ago to all impacted X1 devices, in effort to rectify this issue. I haven't yet received confirmation that it was in fact implemented that day, however. For anyone that continued experiencing the problem beyond 4/24, please verify that it's still continuing today for me. It's possible it was done in phases. If you can update me here, that would be great. Thanks again to everyone for your continued patience and supplying enough evidence for a fix to be established and carried out.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I watched NF this morning and still stuttering for me.
Official Employee

Interesting. Sorry to hear that. Which model of DVR box do you have?

Contributor

X1
Official Employee

Right, but do you happen to know which model of X1 box? If you have our My Account app, it should tell you in the device info there. 

Contributor

PX013ANM
Contributor

PX013ANM andPXD01ANI
Official Employee

Thanks, good to know. I did find out that the updates will be pushed out in phases, which is why some of you are noticing a correction to the problem and others are still experiencing it. Please allow another 7 days or so and then let me know what the status is. Thanks again. 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Thanks, good to know. I did find out that the updates will be pushed out in phases, which is why some of you are noticing a correction to the problem and others are still experiencing it. Please allow another 7 days or so and then let me know what the status is. Thanks again. 

ARE ALL boxes being updated and not just the new ones? I sure hope those of us who have no need to upgrade our box/dvr can still receive the update and stop the stutter. I say this because the answer to the problem kept being to replace the box.  My box works perfectly well except for the NFlix stutter so why would I replace it?

Official Employee

Replacing the box was a confirmed and temporary work around for the X1 Netflix app issues before it was declared as a known issue by our engineering group. That was also before there was a confirmed fix in place with a future date to implement the repair. This particular update should only go out to impacted models of equipment. To answer your question more specifically, yours will be one of the devices to receive the update as you did not go forward with the box swap and yours is one of the impacted models. If your cable box is currently experiencing this issue, it will be updated soon if it has not already happened. There is nothing else that needs to be done on your end or anything like that.

Official Employee

{edit: please disregard and see previous update}

Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Hello everyone. There was a fix that was expected to roll out a few days ago to all impacted X1 devices

Netflix continues to stutter on my DVR.  I don't use the mobile app and can't find a model number on the back, but the serial # is M11550TG0122

Official Employee

Thanks for letting me know. The update has not been fully completed yet and is still in progress. Please allow another 7 days or so and then we can touch base again at that point to see if anything has changed.

Contributor

Well, after five months of:

• There is no problem
  • It must be on your end
  • You can switch out for a box you don't really need
  • We know about the problem and it will be fixed by the end of January
  • You can switch out for a box you don't really need for $15.00

It finally works again with no stuttering here in NH!  My long nightmare is over.

Contributor

Not fixed yet in Lansing Mi
Contributor

Still stuttering in MA.
Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. The update has not been fully completed yet and is still in progress. Please allow another 7 days or so and then we can touch base again at that point to see if anything has changed.

Still stuttering in NJ.

Official Employee

The update is coming down the pipeline soon to those that haven't received it.

Frequent Visitor

Finally fixed in Sacramento, CA!

New Poster

Is there anything that I need to do, or any request that I need to make in order to receive the update that will resolve the Netflix stuttering effect?

Expert

@Steven1224 wrote:

Is there anything that I need to do, or any request that I need to make in order to receive the update that will resolve the Netflix stuttering effect?

no, update happen all the time. use voice command 'about' to see xre and firmware version. the firmware version may differ a few days between some model numbers (example: xg1v4)

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Steven1224 wrote:

no, update happen all the time. use voice command 'about' to see xre and firmware version. the firmware version may differ a few days between some model numbers (example: xg1v4)

Can anyone provide the firmware or update version that fixes the Netflix stuttering problem?

Most Valued Poster

@mfrank1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Steven1224 wrote:

Can anyone provide the firmware or update version that fixes the Netflix stuttering problem?

@Rustyben....I would also like to know the update version number/date we should be looking for. We get updates that have nothing to do with Netflix so how would we know unless we constantly go to Netflix to check for stutter...thats just silly.

Contributor

I agree with the previous 2 posters
Official Employee

Hello all, we are still working to get the updates filtered out. In the meantime, we ask that you please allow us time to get them out to everyone who is still experiencing the stutter. We absolutely appreciate your patience and will reach out with any updates provided. Thank you!