Community Forum

Xi6-A Ethernet speed only 100 mbps?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Xi6-A Ethernet speed only 100 mbps?

I have my Xi6 Connected to my 100/1000 Netgear switch and I’m only seeing an orange 100MB light with Cat6 cabling. My AppleTV does green 1000MB Speed no problem on same switch. What’s up with the Xi6-A only doing 100MBit?
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Xi6-A Ethernet speed only 100 mbps?

@Guido79 wrote:
I have my Xi6 Connected to my 100/1000 Netgear switch and I’m only seeing an orange 100MB light with Cat6 cabling. My AppleTV does green 1000MB Speed no problem on same switch. What’s up with the Xi6-A only doing 100MBit?

at 4k 8-16mb/sec why would it need 1gb ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Guido79 wrote:

@Rustyben , fair question.  My question is not about what's needed, it's about what is expected.  If the maximum speed my Ethernet port can go is 100BASE-T, then it seems to make more sense to go with WiFi which is faster on my network.  For many people (like me), faster is better. 🙂

Model AX061AEI.jpg
Highlighted
Expert

@Guido79 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Guido79 wrote:

@Rustyben , fair question.  My question is not about what's needed, it's about what is expected.  If the maximum speed my Ethernet port can go is 100BASE-T, then it seems to make more sense to go with WiFi which is faster on my network.  For many people (like me), faster is better. 🙂

routers use their own logic to assign link speeds to each connected device. The speed is determined by type of device and QoS.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert

@Guido79 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Guido79 wrote:

That's not always the case .  If a device requires consistency more than speed (like the Xi6), then I'd much rather have it on a Fast Ethernet connection than on a WiFi network that's subject to dropouts, congestion, and interference. And in fact, yes, I do have an Xi6 that's on ethernet. 

Besides, the previous generation AppleTV HD also has a Fast Ethernet port and it functions just as well over ethernet. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@darkangelic & @Rustyben. Thanks very much for the replies. Everything seems to be working fine.  I appreciate the insights and perspectives. 

Cheers!