flybizz's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 15th, 2018 1:00 PM

Closed

Xi5 & Xi6 boxes...Are the ethernet ports usable?

Hi all, this is my first post and hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

We are looking at moving our TV service to Comcast (currently with Dish) and already have phone and Internet with them now...our gateway is the XB6-T. Our new Comcast package would be the "X1 Premier Triple Play" which would include install of (1) XG1v4 DVR and (3) Xi6 Boxes according to the Comcast Sales Rep.

Here is my concern....We currently have four 4k TV's; two in our main house (gateway location) and two in our guest quarters.  The connections at the main house TV's is straight forward but the guest quarters will seem to be the issue as there is no and would be no direct WiFi connectivity with the XB6-T due to the distance between the two.   However, between the house and guest quarters there are available Cat5 and Coax.

My questions:

1.  Are the ethernet ports on the Xi5 & Xi6 active?  If so, can either be connected via ethernet and/or through an unmanaged switch to the gateway in order to receive TV.  I have been told by Comcast phone Tech's and Sales Reps both yes and no.  I have also read on this forum the Xi5 can be used via ethernet....Which is it?

2.  If the Xi5 or 6 boxes won't work what about using (3) Xi3's via Coax?   If they would work what would be the down side of the Xi3's besides no 4K?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

1. Yes they are active
2. It will also depend on distance for the Cat5 but a negative could be bandwidth use on those 3 wireless boxes. If you have access to coax instead xi3 might be better. Only the Xi6 has access to 4K content not the Xi5.
These are all things you should go over with your installer on day of install before anything gets installed.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Here in Houston the techs that I have met are knowlegable but they don't have a full complement of equipment on their truck.  Was told to go to retail for Xi6 4K boxes which was a cluster until I finally got to the manager who led with "there is no 4K content" which failed miserably.  He knew of the Xi6 but there were none in Houston.  Thankfully he ordered two for delivery to my house.  I still don't have an experienced answer (as in they have seen it done in the wild) on the installation of a completely wired 4K install.  The wireless limit on Xi6 installs is two.   Currently have four 4K panels and will soon replace 3 HD panels with 4K.  All of these locations have at least one Ethernet 5e drop.  Obviously there is a problem.  Current hight end residental networks here are installing two Ethernet 6a drops and one coax to all fixed user locations (TV's, computers and printers) while using WiFi for mobile devices and IOT applications.   Depending on WiFi for important applications is an eventual fail. 

In summary, Xfinity has a problem with incompetent retail personnel and provisioning at the tech level.  Don't worry, Uverse is far worse but don't use that as an excuse to stand pat.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

For a completely wired 4K install, it would be 2 Xi6 boxes and the rest 4K DVRs.

Regular Contributor

• 

101 Messages

5 years ago

Are these xi6 ready to ship? Self install yet? I know I’ve asked before just looking to see if things changed I was looking to swap 1 box out if this is possible

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

No, tech install only still.

Regular Contributor

• 

101 Messages

5 years ago

Ok thank you! Happy new year

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Intersting. I was just on the phone with customer service and they are allegedly mailing me an XG1v4 and Xi6.  Am I going to be disappointed when either (i) the wrong box(es) show up or (ii) the right boxes show up and I can't install?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I'll get some MoCA adaptors and see if I can get the Xi6 to work over ethernet.  I assume the pairing procedure will be available as part of the normal setup process or would I need to access a special menu from the box?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

You don’t need moca adapters. The main box talks to the modem via moca.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@maze446 wrote:

Intersting. I was just on the phone with customer service and they are allegedly mailing me an XG1v4 and Xi6.  Am I going to be disappointed when either (i) the wrong box(es) show up or (ii) the right boxes show up and I can't install?

the xg1v4 is just a regular DVR hookup. the xi6 needs a special leased Comcast router. it will work if MoCA is avaialble via ethernet/wifi and procedure is performed with the xi6 to pair it to your home equipment.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

It’s not going to work the way that you want it to with that equipment.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I don't have the Xfinity router or a MoCA enabled wireless router.  Since the Xi6 doesn't have a coax input the only way I figured it would work was if I had a MoCA adaptor on the router end to send the signal and then another adaptor on the Xi6 end.  Plug the coax at the Xi6 end into the MoCA adaptor, run ethernet from the MoCA adaptor to the Xi6 and then HDMI from the Xi6 to my A/V reciever.  It's basically like a powerline connection.  Maybe I'm making it too complicated, but that's what I came up with based on everything I've seen. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I love that some moderator deleted my most recent post which was slightly critical of Comcast. Very nice.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Yep. My post violated none of those. Comcast is allegedly shipping me an Xi6 and I’m trying to figure out how to make it work without a Comcast router / modem. If the answer is “You need to have a Comcast modem / router for the Xi6 to work”, then just say that. I also pointed out that I didn’t understand why the Xi6 wouldn’t have a normal coax connection for those customers that did not need wireless (like me) so we didn’t need to make the choice of either going with the Xi6 and a Comcast router / modem (at additional cost) or going with an XG1v4 (again, at additional cost). If simple customer feedback is a violation of forum rules, then this forum need to change its rules.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@maze446 wrote:
Yep. My post violated none of those. Comcast is allegedly shipping me an Xi6 and I’m trying to figure out how to make it work without a Comcast router / modem. If the answer is “You need to have a Comcast modem / router for the Xi6 to work”, then just say that. I also pointed out that I didn’t understand why the Xi6 wouldn’t have a normal coax connection for those customers that did not need wireless (like me) so we didn’t need to make the choice of either going with the Xi6 and a Comcast router / modem (at additional cost) or going with an XG1v4 (again, at additional cost). If simple customer feedback is a violation of forum rules, then this forum need to change its rules.

yes your post had an abbreviation for an obscene word. eventually it should be edited and returned for public viewing after edit by a Comcast official employee.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here