keeperj88's profile

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

Xg1v4 boxes change from 4K to 1080p EVERY DAY??

I've got two xg1v4 boxes connected to fully compatible 4K devices, with correct cables, settings, etc...  They both worked fine until a couple months ago but now they both revert down to 1080p resolution every night. I've read where this is a suspected firmware change as the culprit.  Whatever it is, . When is Comcast going to fix this???

Contributor

• 

99 Messages

4 years ago

Its usually a firmware issue, at least in this case. Comcast has in the past stated that an firmware update introuced bugs for some xfinity customers. the best you can do is skip an update or two, and then update. This helped me avoid many bugs, at least on my smaller secondary boxes, which I had set to update while I was home and using them so i could tell them skip. The firmware is backlogged about a couple of months or so, so you're not getting that days firmware per se. Give it a few days and it should self resolve, if not call support or go to your store and do a box swap and that should again resolve your issue.

Stay Safe,

JulianR1

Expert

• 

192 Messages

4 years ago

@keeperj88 wrote:

I've got two xg1v4 boxes connected to fully compatible 4K devices, with correct cables, settings, etc...  They both worked fine until a couple months ago but now they both revert down to 1080p resolution every night. I've read where this is a suspected firmware change as the culprit.  Whatever it is, . When is Comcast going to fix this???

@keeperj88 

I know this can be super challenging to deal with, I have been there myself. However, are you attempting to watch 4K content when this happens? I only ask as I had a similar problem until I found out that 95% of what is available via Comcast is not even available in 4K so my TV automatically goes to the next highest possible resolution, 1080. I found out that the only 4K content that Comcast offers is things like major sporting events (i.e. Olympics, World Cup, etc.) and via their 3rd party apps (non-Comcast). All other channels and programming are only presented in 1080 or lower so that is what 4K TVs automatically scales to. I found that out on their help article about 4K (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs). It looks like the only content that Comcast is delivering in 4K this year (not including the apps like Hulu and Netflix) is these 4K Sports Live Events for 2020-2021:

• College Football, 28 games on ESPN, ESPN 2, FOX, FOX Sports 1 (FS1) and NBC (September 12, 2020 – January 11, 2021)
  • English Premier League, 38 games on NBC and NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) (September 12, 2020 – May 23, 2021)
  • U.S. Open, featured hole on NBC and Golf Channel (September 17 – 20, 2020)
  • NFL Thursday Night Football, 11 games on FOX (October 8, 2020 – December 17, 2020)
  • MLB Playoffs and World Series, up to 14 games on FOX (October 2020)

It doesn't even look like all games in these "events" will be provided in 4K, only select offerings. The only other way to get 4K content on Comcast boxes is via their 3rd party apps. So perhaps this is not a firmware problem, but a lack of 4K content on Comcast's part. 

I should add that Comcast boxes do not allow you to upscale a program. This just means that if you are watching a program that is presented by Comcast in 1080 you cannot change your TV to broadcast it in 4K, so that also causes these types of concerns. 

I hope this helps. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

generally, the TV will have a better upscale circuitry than the STB. 

Regular Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

In some cases TV or AVR may intermittently report wrong max supported resolution (1080p in this case). If it's lower than currently selected tv box picks it up instead.
Even though this problem is not directly related to X1 box our engineering team is reviewing possible solutions to mitigate that unexpected behavior

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Im having the same issue. The tv wont stay on 4k and goes to 1080p. The other thing is that the white people look like they have sunburn/ red faces. I have to reset the video settings. It just started last week.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@sweeper13 wrote:

Im having the same issue. The tv wont stay on 4k and goes to 1080p. The other thing is that the white people look like they have sunburn/ red faces. I have to reset the video settings. It just started last week.

is the set top box connected directly to the TV's HDMI1 or HDMI2 (see owner's manual)  port designated for 4k? is your set top box power saver set to off?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Same problem here. I even disabled power saver settings and it doesnt help.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

The 4k cable is plugged into HDMI 1 on the tv where it belongs. The saver option is on , I turned it off.  Turned on the tv this morning and its been off for 12 hrs,  the video settings stayed on the 4K best option settings, it didnt go to 1080p. Ill keep an eye on things.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Same here — over the past 2 months it will auto switch from 4K (the highest resolution) down to 1080p without notice. It must have done this at least 5-6 times that I know of.  I can tell when the video feed has a brownish tint when it should be black. I just watched a world series game that should have been 4K at 1080p. With smaller screen sizes maybe not noticeable but when watching on a high-end 75" 4K TV it is noticeable. So each time I have to go back in and reset the video settings. I shouldn't have to do this. I haven't found a way to lock it in the highest setting, but I would assume once I set it, it should stay set, not having the Xfinity box take over my settings. My Apple TV and Oppo 4K Player all stay at the correct setting why won't the Xfinity box? Very annoying. For what I pay Xfinity I expect close to perfection.

Regular Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

We're releasing a software update which should mitigate that problem.
Should be available in around a week.
Please, reply back to this thread if the problem won't be resolved by the end of next week.
Thank you for your patience  

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the update..

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here