Community Forum

Xfinity DVR refusing to record shows

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Xfinity DVR refusing to record shows

11/23/20 - Editing to add that I'm in the Seattle area, and this does seem linked to stations no longer appearing under the Guide as 'Free to Me', even though they are part of my cable package.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My DVR is refusing to record some shows and I'm unable to determine why.  For example, when using the Guide and attempting to record a show, it will go through the steps and appear that it is going to record, but then the Guide will have a red no entry (a red circle with a slash through it) symbol next to the show.  This is what I've tried:

• There are no other shows scheduled at the same time, so its not a conflict issue. 
  • My DVR is 37% full and should have plenty of space. 
  • I've tried going in and removing future scheduled shows temporarily to see if its because the DVR is anticipating being full, but this made no difference.  However, I was able to re-add these particular shows. 
  • Multiple times I've done a Restart/System Refresh/actually unplugging the DVR
  • Issue is the same whether I'm using the xfinity remote or the xfinity phone app
  • The initial show I was trying to record was the series "Black Narcissus" on FXHD.  Once that failed, I tried recording the episodes manually.  Once that failed I tried recording random shows on different HD channels from the Guide - most of these failed as well with different stations, different times, but I can't figure out why as this seems random - no scheduling conficts.  
  • I have the series "Fargo" on FXHD on schedule and it has been recording it fine, but looking at the episode scheduled for tomorrow (11/22) it is not listed on the 'to be recorded' list.  When I look up the series under 'Upcoming' the future 2 episodes are listed with the icon of 3 red circles with the top circle being the open red circle with the slash through it, so they do not look like they will record.  

Anything else I'm missing for troubleshooting?  It really just seems to not be working properly.

Thank you.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity DVR refusing to record shows

I have the same issue. Also, when I go to the Stream app, the channels where the DVR won’t record are not even in the list.
Highlighted
New Poster

It appears that though I can watch movies on TCM I am not allowed to record them. This has only recently become an issue because I used to record movies on TCM all the time. I was not notified of any programming changes. When I press record I get a red forbidden circle instead of the full red dot that normally denotes the recording is set.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have been having this same problem all day today. I had movies on the hallmark channel set up to record and now they won't. It won't even let me record them again. Did anyone get any help with the issue yet?
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Having the same problem
Highlighted
New Poster

This started yesterday for me as well?!! Won’t record shows I’ve had scheduled forever nor new shows I want to add. My DVR is only 8% full!
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm having the same problem. It's frustrating and Comcast tech support was no help.
Highlighted
New Poster

DVR won’t record some shows

My DVR suddenly won’t record certain shows. It has the red dot with a line through it. Most shows still show they will record but some suddenly won’t. There is no conflict as no other recordings are set at the times. I even tried to manually press record while one show was on mad it would not record. I have tried a system refresh and restarting my system.
Highlighted
New Poster

I’m having the same issue and it’s frustrating. I wonder what we need to do to get this fixed.
Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue here. We noticed it Friday night. Today I looked at my future recordings and some shows I have set to record weekly are gone, others are set as usual. What is going on???
Highlighted
New Poster

I also noticed channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX set to record as usual. It's the other channels that refuse to set (Hallmark, Bravo, USA...)
Highlighted
New Poster

i came to this forum to find some answers.

i've got the same issue and the same problems listed by everyone else.

what's going on?

what can we do to get it fixed!

Highlighted
New Poster

same...won't record the PGA event today on the golf channel, but will record the NFL on the broadcast networks.

wouldn't record sportscenter last night.

my recording of "the undoing" on HBO for tonite has disappeared from my schedule.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

We're in the same situation as everyone else.  Only a handful of channels show up in the APP and those are the only channels that will accept a request to record a show.  Anything that was set up as a recurring recording - like Fargo, or The Fall, or just about anything else comes up with the circle and slash.  You don't get the window opening that says "Your recording has been set".

We rebooted the DVR twice last night (Nov. 21, 2020) and that did nothing.

I searched for any other cable provider with this problem and also searches related to the FCC changing permissions for DVRs and I didn't find anything other than Xfinity having this trouble.  We didn't try to contact a human yet.  It sounds like that will be a waste of time.

Truly annoying.

Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue here as well. What’s going on??!! I’m paying for a service that isn’t working.
Highlighted
New Poster

having same problem in

philly market.rebooted 3 times no help,only have 10 percent filled and only 1 or 2 shows schedueled at same time

Highlighted
New Poster

Same problem began for me two days ago - very frustrating and so far no answers from Xfinity. Rebooted DVR twice, plenty of available space, constantly getting red circle with line through it and unable to record. Anyone getting any answers? Thanks!

Highlighted
New Poster

Exact same problem.

I noticed that the program guide for "free to me" does not have all of my channels, I cannot record on channels that do not appear on my "free" list, even though I can watch them.

Can someone verify if this is the case for you?
Highlighted
New Poster

We are having the exaxt same issues. Everything recorded fine on Friday night. Then my recordings on Saturday morning did not work. All future recordings have vanished other than Fox and CBS.

When you try to record you get the red cancel recording symbol instead. Then when you try to watch on the computer it says I need to subscribe to channels I already pay for?? Get your act together Comcast!
Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue. I called Tech Support and they have no clue what is going on; they had me restart my X1 box, but nothing. I explained to the rep that this likely has to do with some licensing issue with movies or shows or something that changed at Comcast without notifying customers. Very frustrating. Over 1 hour on the phone without help. One wasted hour that I'll never get back!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am having the EXACT same problem since Saturday, November 22nd! I have been trying to record Hallmark channel movies even two weeks from now and it still won't record! Getting the record symbol with a line through it. Same with Lifetime and FX channels. I called Comcast and they tried to reboot it and send signals like five times! I got so fustrated and started yelling at the tech because he kept asking me what the problem was and kept asking me to check the tv. Such a waste of time. I am so mad. The worse time to not be able to record all of the holiday movies.  You can never depend on them for anything!!

Please if anyone can figure this out, please let us all know!!

Thank you!

Highlighted
Contributor

Same here. Can't record anything. Guide acting funny not showing many channels. Have to select all channels to see them. Stream app only shows local channels. Things are pretty messed up. Tech support doesn't seem to know what's going on. Did get someone who finally said they have a huge outage that messed everything up Friday.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: DVR won’t record some shows

Same problem.

In last TWO days, the record button on my DVR will not record any channels except local broadcast stations. The cancelled icon (red circle with line) appears in the guide. Previously scheduled shows on NON-local channels do not appear in scheduled list anymore.

Highlighted
New Poster

Same problem.

I suspect there was an software update that caused the problem for all of us.

I hope they get it fixed soon!

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm having the smae problem, all my pre reocrded shows have disappeared and I have the red circle with a line through it and cannot set them to record. I guess I will call Xfinity tomorrow morning.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We're having the same issue - seems like a bug was introduced in a recent update.  Hope Xfinity releases a fix very soon - currently not able to fully use services we're paying for.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same here in Lafayette Colorado. Noticed it Saturday, contacted Xfinity on Sunday, they said they had fixed it but still have the problem.

Highlighted
New Poster

Same here!!! Need answers xfinity!!
Highlighted
New Poster

Same problem.  Started Friday 11/21/2020.   Seattle.  Also can only stream just a few channels on iPad.  Please fix!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same here.  Philly Suburbs, Souderton PA.

60 minutes recorded but a bunch of other programs have the forbidden circle and are not recording.

Same as above, no conflicts, plenty of space, system restarts (from app and hard boots), yada-yada-yada

sidenote: We also cannot watch showtime anytime on roku sticks.  When we go to activate devices it, we enter the code, then login with xfinity and it takes us to a page that says we need to purchase showtime when we have it in our package and are able to watch on boxes or stream app.  just posting incase it is related.

one more edit as it is an important point that someone else mentioned.  Only network shows are recording (CBS/NBC/ABC).  If i go to scheduled recordings the only thing i see scheduled are Jeopardy (ABC) and Nightly News (NBC) as well as 60 minutes (CBS).  The dozens of other schelduled recording are not showing up under scheduled.  When I manually check them they all all have the forbidden red circle.  FYI

Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue here Chicago. Series recording on AMC and FX won’t record. Tried to randomly record on another channel and it wouldn’t . I did look at guide “Free to Me” and those channels are missing. Makes no sense as I can watch them. Hopefully a bu that will be fixed soon!
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes same issue
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm in Chicago and have had the same exact problem since yesterday. Called a tech today and they had no idea of what I was even saying to them. Clearly when something is going wrong the techs are not informed. I subscribed to Starz for $8.99 in July. Tech today kept telling me I didn't have it because Xfinity dropped it and you have to buy it... well I know that. I bought it in July, and last night I re-subscribed 8 times because it kept telling me to. Finally I gave up. Movies won't record, options are missing and nobody knows anything. 

Highlighted
New Poster

It's interesting that there are so many posts, but no response at all from Comcast/Xfinity. I spent 4 hours last night with two people on the phone and two via messaging, and still no answer! Anyone find out what the problem is?

Highlighted
New Poster

Same problem here. Series recorded normally thorugh Friday 11/20. Three scheduled recordings tonight 11/22 failed and showed the red circle with a slash. I could not reschedule the recordings even on later showings. Two scheduled recordings for later this week appear to still be set correctly.

Lots of posts with this problem. We need a fix from Xfinifty.

Editing to mention I'm in Southeast PA, just north of Philadelphia.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same issues. Started with tech support via chat, then was transferred multiple times after a restart, system refresh, unplugging, etc, and 1.25 hours later...Told them about all the people in this forum with the same issues. Looks like you guys did the troubleshooting for them. I told them about what others said on this (their own) site about this problem. So, looks like we can record on major networks, but not on most everything else and it only shows the "cancelled recording" symbol when we try. They know what channels I have (and I have no problem watching them), but on their end, it does not show that I am subscribed to any of them. It's a them problem. They are now aware of it and are supposedly working on it. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity DVR refusing to record shows--the big con

I'm in Utah.  Would like to know where everyone is and how widespread the issue is.  Sounds like nationwide.  Guide shows part of the shows.  Refuses to record anything but network shows.  Wipes out all planned recordings.  Comcast techs give blank stares and waste our time with the usual reset all your DVRs, claiming complete ignorance of the issue, but it is nationwide.  Clearly there has been a nationwide comcast bulletin to all offices about the issue but they are feigning ignorance.  Not sure why.  All I can think of is that they think it might cost them money in reimbursements to people if they admit it.  But, it's like refusing to admit the lights are out when you are standing there in the dark.

Highlighted
New Poster

Exactly the same issue for me in northern California. Tonight, I can't record Korean Series -- the equivalent of the World Series in Korea. It's on ESPN. And when I go to the ESPN site to watch the replay, it tells me that my Xfinity plan doesn't cover ESPN. But it does. Completely maddening. The Undoing records, yet nothing on ESPN does.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

what part of the country are you in?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We know from the other posts it affects Chicago, Philly, Seattle and Utah at least

Highlighted
New Poster

1. Any news or progress or admission that there is problem by Comcast?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Nope.  Nobody answsering at xfininity now.  Since nobody from xfinity monitors this forum or cares about the "xfininitry community forum" i checked   the xfininity facebook page but that seems to be where you go to complain about your bill or programming and nobody has posted there since Nov 9th.  I also checked out the Reddit forum where supposedly Xfinity "experts" hang out.  Over there, people have been complaining about the same thing, including trouble streaming and being locked out of channels they can normally get into. They also have talked with the same clueless techs, after waiting for hours to get to them.  None of the "experts" offered any advice.  

This is all very odd indeed.  Certainly worth getting an answer from someone at Comcast when it affects nearly every xfinity/comcast customer in the nation!  Everyone just isn't willing to speak up about it or hasn't yet figured out the extent of the problem.  I think xfinity is hoping to get it fixed before everyone figures that out.  It's like maybe they thought they would get the power back on while everyone was sleeping and they would just plead ignorance till then--they just didn't know it would take this long.  Sometimes, as the politicians find out,  trying to cover it up doesn't always work out for the best!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

If one more tech tells me to waste my time unplugging wires... like unplugging wires will fix a problem of being told you're not subscribed to something you clearly are.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Has anyone found a solution to this issue! This has been happening for my family and I for a couple days, and quite frankly, it’s annoying. I’m experiencing the not being able to record issue (ann channel that isn’t a very basic channels), the premium channels being watchable yet not being able to record them or watch any of their on-demand content (despite paying for them and having them in my package), and when trying to play on-demand content on premium channels, it’s asking me to subscribe as if I don’t already. I’m not going to try, but I’m curious what will happen if I select “subscribe.” Will it make that channel recordable and/or enable me to watch the on-demand content? Has anyone gotten to the step of having to replace a box, and if so, did that correct it? It’s shocking to see that a bunch of us, from different places around the country it appears, are experiencing this same problem. I’ll be keeping my eye on this thread, so as to see who gets it fixed or solved, and what’s the solution. I’m in Seattle by the way.
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm near Detroit Michigan and same issue. AMC, FX, ESPN, The Weather Channel all refuse to record. I'm starting to get tired of this X1 DVR , it has way too many issues.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity DVR refusing to record shows--the big con

I’m in Utah too! I’ve done all the supposed fixes but still won’t record new or other scheduled shows except those on broadcast networks. It started Saturday for me. Should we call the local news?
Highlighted
New Poster

Utah for me, same issues and same attempts to fix it. I didn’t bother calling since it sounds like their weekend staff is incoherent 😂 I couldn’t use a bad word on here so someone or something is watching...
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same here - Lafayette Colorado

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Since the problem is still here in Utah, I just called xfinity tech support and got a vague acknowledgement that there was an issue.  I told him that he needed to immediately inform managment that the problem was nationwide, was being discussed in all the support forums, that he had been an issue for 3 days, and customers were not happy.  Moreover they needed to respond to the issue in their own forums and issue a bulletin on their webiste acknowledging the issue and when it might be fixed.  Itold him that they canot igore nationwide issues affecting their customers.  You may also wish to contact management ("send Tome Feedback") about this here:  https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-for

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

When I posted yesterday, I should have added our location to assist in determining how widespread this problem is.  We're in an Eastern suburb of Pittsburgh, PA.

BTW - this problem still exists. - Day 3 for us.  Only the broadcast networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and the local PBS channel will record - meanwhile our "package" includes an enormous number of channels that we can watch live - we just aren't permited to record any of them!   Whoever said that the company is not responding to thjs because they don't want to give all of their customers a refund for the days that we are all not getting the services for which we are paying.