Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

Hi, posting to enable PM feature

Frequent Visitor

I would like  info on 4KG1v4!

Frequent Visitor

Local xfinity store does not XG1v4 ,I would like to get one ,How about some Help!

Frequent Visitor

Look for Comcast employee ‘ComcastElla’ in this thread. Send her a private message. She will know what to do.
Frequent Visitor

Comcast Ella would you help me get XG1V4?

Regular Visitor

Post to PM

New Poster

Hi - Posting to have access to PM feature.

New Poster

Re: 4K X1 box

Yes it's possible. I just received mine. To get 4k content to play I had to set up the DVR then do a system refresh and restart. Before that, only about 4 seconds would play then it would just stop. Since then all seems well. Now if only the Netflix app would play in 4k. I've verified that the program is available via the TV app, just not on the Xfinity app. Pain in the butt.

Oh yeah, be prepared to pay $15 shipping for the DVR to be sent to you. I'm going to ask for a refund of the fee since I've made multiple calls and visits to attempt to swap it locally. I won't hold my breath but it's worth a shot.
Regular Visitor

Hi, posting to enable PM feature. Wish to Order XG1v4 DVR TV Box
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Requesting Private Message to facilitate the request for an Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box self-install kit to be sent to me. Thank you.
Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K X1 box

Here are some things you can double check - in no particular order.

• Did you upgrade your Netflix account to UHD 4K?  There is a small monthly fee.  (and by the way if you have any HD movies bought on iTunes, and if you get a 4K apple TV, then all of your purchased movies will upgrade to 4K UHD Dolby Vision if they are available that way)
  • In the DVR 'Device Settings'/'Video Display' is the maximum resolution set to "16:9,2160P60 4K UHD (Best Available)"?
  • In your TV Picture settings, is it set to (Auto)?  Change this to (Vivid) and turn on (Auto 24P).  I have a Sony 4K screen, so your settings nomenclature may be different.  Just make the TV be on full 4K UHD as default.  
  • It was my experience that the Apps in the DVR are provisioned over time.  I think it may appear at some point.  But you will not improve the picture over the Netflix app that's built into the TV.

If you set the equipment this way, then all HD channels and all programs will be seen in 4K.  Note that you will need to make picture adjustments on your TV so that everything looks right.  You can Google "(your TV model here) calibration settings" to gain an understanding of what you need to tweak - but thats another discussion all together. In my humble opinion, you should just watch Netflix on the TV app.  The television makes beautiful pictures on it's own - the cable box is just unnecessary additional processing of the picture.  Use the ARC HDMI input to get the surround sound back to your receiver. The big deal of the 4k box - one that seems to be lost on most posters - is the capability to upscale all programming to 4K if you set it up as I described.  The one thing that caught my eye is how amazing the food commercials look - it's like looking through a window.

Hope this helps...

Expert

@RJG1 wrote:

Yes...those boxes will support 4K...What Comcast fails to disclose is that after you receive the box you will be billed an extra $19.95/mo. So before you upgrade your 5 beautiful OLED or QLED or 4K TVs be prepared to pay Comcast an additional $100/mo plus tax just for the privilege of allowing you to view the content. That's $1200/yr. This is because Comcast only makes a DVR box that will support 4K. Most people only need 1 DVR box and you can watch on any TV in the house. But Comcast MAKES you have a DVR for each TV to view 4K. Not only do we pay for content we don't need, we now pay for equipment we shouldn't need. Comcast response is, then don't buy a 4K TV. 

might be a bit of a misunderstanding. An additional X1 set top top box is $10/month, add $9.95 and it will be a DVR. Comcast will likely have a 4k companion set top box in the future but is not yet offered. ComcastElla has pointed out that when a set top box is shipped to you that you technically have an 'extra' (charge) set top box until your old set top box is returned and the system credits you back to the ship date of the 4k set top box.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity wanted to bill me $15 to ship an XG4 box. LOL

They ended up shipping it for free.

Regular Visitor

Thank you.

Regular Contributor

I can no longer find a link or button to Private Message someone. I know I've done it in the past, but it seems to have disappeared. Can someone please tell me how to do it?

Tags (2)
New Poster

Is this only an option if you have the DVR to trade in? I have the:

TV Box

Set-top BoxSerial #: SACDQZXZZ

Can i still get the 4K box without paying extra per month or it will be $20 extra per month even if i dont want the DVR functions?  I only have the 1 box.  The rest of my 3 rooms use antenna for basic channels, but i also heard comcast has a free box to get HD basic channels that an an antenna receives.  Is this true and if so, how can i get 3 so i dont have to use big ugly antennas anymore?

Thank you

Official Employee

You would have to upgrade your service to include a DVR. Depending on your billing, if you’re paying for a box, it’s extra.

There are no free boxes. There are DTAs that are $5.99.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

I can no longer find a link or button to Private Message someone. I know I've done it in the past, but it seems to have disappeared. Can someone please tell me how to do it?

When you click on a name, there is a link called "Send a Message" to the right.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

I don't see that link any more. I must have lost the privilege for some reason. I can't even PM a moderator to ask for it back!

Expert

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

I don't see that link any more. I must have lost the privilege for some reason. I can't even PM a moderator to ask for it back!

before you PM go to top of web page and on right side find 'sign in ' link and click it. after signing in the 'message me' option will appear.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

before you PM go to top of web page and on right side find 'sign in ' link and click it. after signing in the 'message me' option will appear.

I am, and have been, signed in. Still no "message me." Can you tell me exactly where it's supposed to show up? Maybe a screen grab?

Expert

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

I am, and have been, signed in. Still no "message me." Can you tell me exactly where it's supposed to show up? Maybe a screen grab?

What Rusty was referring to is that if you clicked the mouse on poster's name (next to the Avatar), it open's up their profile home page. There is a big blue block on right side that says: Massage ME. Clicking there would open a box to post the message.

I should point out that when I clicked on your name I did not see Message Me. Your PM privileges are turned off. I would have expected you to still have PM unless you abused it in the past.

You may need to ask on this forum for permission from the Comcast personnel first (with good reason) so that they can turn on use of your PM.

Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

I should point out that when I clicked on your name I did not see Message Me. Your PM privileges are turned off. I would have expected you to still have PM unless you abused it in the past.

You may need to ask on this forum for permission from the Comcast personnel first (with good reason) so that they can turn on use of your PM.

That's interesting. Thanks, @MNtundraRET, for taking the time to check my PM from your end.

I think I have been a good citizen on this forum, so I don't know why my PM is disabled.

Silver Problem Solver

It's "Send A Message" in the right-hand area of the profile.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Excited to get one
Regular Visitor

Re: XG4 (XG1v4) Launched

Posting for PM capability.

Regular Visitor

So does Comcast have any plans to provide 4K UHD/HDR content any time soon? Or else this STB is useless, because if you have a 4K TV you probably have Netflix already on it, and if you pay for the Premium, you already get everything that you would if you got this STB. 

I went to a friend's house that has Direct TV and the movies were in 4K, so there is some content out there, why can't we get it? 

Regular Visitor

Thanks for posting this.  Was going crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't PM

Silver Problem Solver

@Rarechaga wrote:

So does Comcast have any plans to provide 4K UHD/HDR content any time soon? Or else this STB is useless, because if you have a 4K TV you probably have Netflix already on it, and if you pay for the Premium, you already get everything that you would if you got this STB. 

I went to a friend's house that has Direct TV and the movies were in 4K, so there is some content out there, why can't we get it? 

Comcast hasn't annouced anything.  When they do, you will know.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rarechaga wrote:

Comcast just announced a new agreement with Amazon Prime. There may be some advantages using Comcast version through their 4K DVR versus using Amazon Prime 4K through our UHD television app.

Silver Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rarechaga wrote:

Comcast just announced a new agreement with Amazon Prime. There may be some advantages using Comcast version through their 4K DVR versus using Amazon Prime 4K through our UHD television app.

Sounds like Netflix.  For one thing, I can access Netflix easier than using my TV's app, and some of my TV's don't have the app.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rarechaga wrote:

Sounds like Netflix.  For one thing, I can access Netflix easier than using my TV's app, and some of my TV's don't have the app.

The Amazon Prime announcement is on top of X1 forum. anyone can read info. there.

It most likely will not work for me. No X1, 4K DVR, or Comcast cable. I would have to use my Amazon Prime app. Other's might like it.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

My Apple TV 4k has performed the best as far as any streaming app, but I really like the convenience of just using my X1 box.

Problem is, I keep defaulting back to my Vizio TV's built in Netflix app because it doesn't start previewing a show that I happen to be browsing, which I find extremely annoying. 

Since Prime doesn't do that, I'll give the X1 Amazon Prime Video app a try when it launches for sure. 

Official Employee

Hello all,

Just a reminder.  If you place an order through our team here on XFINITY Help & Support Forums  - we don't charge a shipping fee. However, when we send a new DVR cable box, the billing system automatically adds an "Additional Outlet" charge because you technically have two active DVR cable boxes on the account. As soon as you return the old DVR - the system will automatically prorate the charge and apply a credit. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you would like to get a 4K DVR please post publicly in this thread to enable the PM feature. Then please send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I missing the point of having one of these boxes as others have pointed out, the Netflix app and other services are already on your tv's app. You do have to pick up another remote to access it but I would rather do that than pay an additional fee to Comcast. 

Expert

@MSDOGS1976 wrote:

I missing the point of having one of these boxes as others have pointed out, the Netflix app and other services are already on your tv's app. You do have to pick up another remote to access it but I would rather do that than pay an additional fee to Comcast. 

if you have a non-4k DVR swapping to a 4k is the same price.

Frequent Visitor

Having issues connecting to Netflix,Any advice?

New Poster

I was wondering if I can switch out my v3 for a v4 since I now have a 4k capable to.
Expert

@moncity423 wrote:

Having issues connecting to Netflix,Any advice?

Was your netflix working then it stopped or never worked?  did you try pressing the A button and select and run 'Reset Netflix'?

Expert

@AlltimePro wrote:
I was wondering if I can switch out my v3 for a v4 since I now have a 4k capable to.

Hi, I moved your post to this thread. scroll back to the 8/5/2018 post by @ComcastElla and follow the directions there.

New Poster

True that q080 or even 720 is not uhd, however alot of TV's (mine are Hisense, Vigio, and Mitsubishi)

All hd and one is UHD 4k. They all have upscaling. This means they will make a point turn better quality even if it's not HD. What I believe the question above was he was asking does the x1 box make hd look better (i.e. upscaling) even if it's not 4k?.  I am not a Comcast rep, however I am hugely tech savvy. I'm the guy friends and family call before tech for things. 

So here's my best guess by experience, if your TV has upscaling (ask Google if your TV model does to find out) and you do have an x1 box, it should look better if your TV is seeing uhd compadibco box. When I turn on ps4 pro 4k is shows my inpits now as uhd HDMI instead of just saying HDMI with Comcast box. You also need to go into TV settings and change HDMI from standard to enhanced to Allow for rgb uhd.  You may need a better HDMI  cable f yours isn't a good one. The old HDMI were designed for 1080p and 4k MAY suffer some quality if yours isn't compatible. 

Hope this helps some, if not I will try to answer any questions regarding settings of your TV and HDMI cables. Please ask techs for Xfinity related tech questions.

Frequent Visitor

I believe I can shed some additional light on this topic from the 4K perspective.  I have the Sony 75" x850e - I mention that because the settings nomenclature differs from one brand to another.
Also - be sure to read the manual that came with your TV.   
ON THE SONY TV, 4K UHD INPUT IS POSSIBLE ONLY ON HDMI 1 AND HDMI 2. 
I ripped-out what little hair I had left because I didn't realize it.   

When I received the XG1v4 box, and after I set it all up, I was disappointed with the set top box performance.  Some xfinity HD channels filled the screen (ABC, NBC & CBS) and most others did not.  On the channels that failed to fill the screen, the 1080P picture appeared centered on the 16:9, 2160P60 4K UHD picture that the STB was sending.  This caused a wide black frame to surround the picture.  For me, the fix was to change the TV screen setting from AUTO to Vivid.  Change the UHD setting from AUTO to On.   Presto.  The XG1V4 now upscales all content to 4K, and the pictures are stunning.  When the TV receives 4K Dolby Vision HDR10 content from 4K Apple TV or the Sony 4k HRD10 blue ray player, the pictures are not incrementally better than cable.  But the XG1V4 is a wow.  

One big task was to recalibrate the brightness, contrast, color, hue and everything else.  The "Vivid" factory settings are designed to compete with every other UHD picture in the store , and if you try to watch it in a dark room you will need sunglasses.  

One comment about cables - I did need one more cable because the 4K Apple TV runs a test before it will turn on HDR10 and DolbyVision.   But i didn't spend monster-sized bucks on a snake oil cable.   There are excellent cables on line right priced for the amount of copper in the product.  I added the link below because it's possibly the best made cable i've encountered for exactly the right price.  The specs are quite good and it performs as advertised.  I omitted the brand name.  The link will take you to Amazon.  The reviews you'll read there are absolutely true. 

4K HDMI 2.0 Cable  
Link: http://a.co/2Faa4SW

This High-Speed HDMI Cable supports HDMI 2.0b including 18 Gbps, Mirror & Extend mode, UltraHD 4K 2160p (up to 60 Hz 4:4:4), HD 2K 1080p (up to 240 Hz), QHD 1440p (up to 144 Hz), HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color, 21:9 video aspect ratio, Audio Return(ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and Hot plugging and multi-stream audio and video on this cable.

Expert

@MikeToz wrote:

I added the link below because it's possibly the best made cable i've encountered for exactly the right price.  The specs are quite good and it performs as advertised.  I omitted the brand name.  The link will take you to Amazon.  The reviews you'll read there are absolutely true. 

4K HDMI 2.0 Cable  
Link: http://a.co/2Faa4SW

This High-Speed HDMI Cable supports HDMI 2.0b including 18 Gbps, Mirror & Extend mode, UltraHD 4K 2160p (up to 60 Hz 4:4:4), HD 2K 1080p (up to 240 Hz), QHD 1440p (up to 144 Hz), HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color, 21:9 video aspect ratio, Audio Return(ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and Hot plugging and multi-stream audio and video on this cable.

I have exactly that same cable, and I absolutely love it. It's sturdy and has actually ameliorated some of the issues I've had with my setup.  I'm going to upgrade the rest of my system with those cables. 

Regular Visitor

xg1v4 box request

Please assist in mailing a xg1v4 box.  Thanks

Expert

Re: xg1v4 box request

@Govolsnt wrote:

Please assist in mailing a xg1v4 box.  Thanks

hi, moved your post to this mega-thread. scroll back to 8/5 post by @ComcastElla and follow her directions.

Regular Contributor

Is 4K content still limited to Netflix and the past Olympics?

Is there a thread to follow which announces new 4K content?

Regular Visitor

Can you help me get one of these in the Boston area?

Regular Visitor

@ComcastElla

can you assist in getting one of th 4K boxes in Boston area for me?

Official Employee

Is 4K content still limited to Netflix and the past Olympics?

Is there a thread to follow which announces new 4K content?

________
There’s also games from this past World Cup in 4K. There isn’t a thread for content, usually it’s been a separate thread for the above 4K additions