Community Forum

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I was told there are 70 available at my service center and I could swap my box for one.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@pcmichael wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@pcmichael wrote:

I'm in South Florida and have been having frequent drop outs with my current XG1v3, I'm currently sitting here watching on demand on my iPad because the box keeps dropping every few seconds despite me doing everything to fix it, I plan on visiting a service center tomorrow morning.. would the v4 be something I can request tomorrow? I'd like to get something new, that actually works. 

The box isn't your problem, you have wiring and signal issues that need attention first.

Wiring-the boxes moca levels( how your boxes communicate) is below spec

Signal issues- your dvr is out of spec (downstream too low and high ICFR)

Unrelated to the X1 platform, your modem is barely in spec.

It's been quite awhile since a tech was out, I would suggest that before swapping any equipment.

Good afternoon Andrew,

Can you please check what you checked last night again and tell me if everything looks fine on your end? A technician just left and had to run a temporary line to increase the signal coming into the house. They plan on coming back in two days to finalize everything, but before they do that I would like to make sure everything is up to spec on both the X1 platform and the modem.

Thank you,
Michael

There a 3-4 db improvement on your modem, I'm unable to see the DVR is it unplugged?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

How disappointing! I literally drove an hour round trip out to the service center for the manager to tell me they don’t have a single v4 box and haven’t even had any yet. Swore up and down there is no way the 800 number would be able to tell what versions he has in inventory and proceeded to apologize and then replace my v3 box with a v1 box! Of course he told me he was just swapping it for the “same thing” so I had no idea till I got home that it was a v1. So now I’m down to 5 tuners and a DVR that is so dang loud it sounds like it’s about to launch into space! So dang frustrated. So now I’ll waste another hour tomorrow going back and getting the proper box.
Highlighted
Contributor

Well I just read about how to check the signal on the DVR and here's what I got.. see attachment. I could probably pick up some signal if I didn't have to have a splitter at the DVR wall outlet to accomadate the wireless gateway. Should I be chasing this down (it won't be easy as it's an exterior wall) or is my signal fine to support everything now and into the foreseeable future? Comcast reps keep saying the XG1v4 is only being done via professional install at the discretion of the technician (based on signal level essentially), does anyone know what sort of signal level would constitute a green light for the technician to think installing the v4 would be fine?

IMG_0736.JPG
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@pcmichael wrote:

Well I just read about how to check the signal on the DVR and here's what I got.. see attachment. I could probably pick up some signal if I didn't have to have a splitter at the DVR wall outlet to accomadate the wireless gateway. Should I be chasing this down (it won't be easy as it's an exterior wall) or is my signal fine to support everything now and into the foreseeable future? Comcast reps keep saying the XG1v4 is only being done via professional install at the discretion of the technician (based on signal level essentially), does anyone know what sort of signal level would constitute a green light for the technician to think installing the v4 would be fine?

Your DVR is well within spec. As posted in the very first post in this thread, that version is only for new customers (as of right now) in certain areas. As a tech myself, I can tell you swapping boxes does nothing to fix signal issues. Good luck, replacing this one. and sorry for the runaround but it's true there's no way that customer service would know the inventory levels in any one store at any time.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks again Andrew. I went back to the SC this morning and asked for a v3 and replaced an XiD with an XG2 for the extra tuners. Ironically I was “randomly” (or maybe not), given the same v3 I turned in yesterday. Like you said, there was probably never an issue with the box... I only swapped it yesterday so my drive wasn’t in vain. Oh well, here’s to hoping now that the signal is better that I’ll be issue free. I can always move the XB3 to a bedroom that doesn’t have a TV and therefore take the only splitter in use in the house out of the mix if need be, but it seems my levels are all within spec now, so I’ll leave that as an ace for a later day.
Highlighted
Contributor

Well, the technician came back this evening and pulled a new home run and bundled it up properly. RG11 from the tap to the external box on the side of the house and then RG6 from the box to lossless amp in the attic. Also got to switch back to a XG1v3. See the attachments to see where my signals on the DVR and XB3 ended up. The signals are of course a little better on the XG2s due to no splitters. All in all, I think everything is sorted out finally. Thanks guys.
IMG_2857.JPG
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: XG4 (XG1v4) Launched

It's out now. I'm in Big South (Specifically Atlanta) and have installed two this past week. They're pretty awesome.
Highlighted
New Poster

They're awesome. You wouldn't really need to replace any, but their 4K support is awesome and Bluetooth is prepping for another piece of equipment coming down the pipe.
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

"Their 4K support is awesome"???

If you read the announcement at the beginning of this thread, Comcast Jessie tells us there won't be 4K content available until late in 2017.

You may have the box set to 4K output but that doesn't mean that you are actually watching native 4K content...
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I had a lead technician do some work a month or so ago, and say these were going to be in my area on July 7th (Minneapolis, 55443).  Stopped in to my local Xfinity store on the 7th and they had no idea what was going on with them.

If these need field install, would it be better to call and try to get new boxes over the phone vs going into the store?  Or does anyone have any idea on these and xi5 box availability?

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

XG1V4 apparently doesn't exist in the Twin Cities market...
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I'm just curious -- just what is available on the XG1v4?  It appears nothing at the beginning.  "4K content will not be available right at launch. This will come later on, first with according to a Comcast source on the Xfinity forums: “Netflix on X1 (Premium Plan), a XG1v4 and a 4K TV. Later phases of 4K will include select XFINITY On Demand, Live TV and DVR content.”"

There's nothing with that box that I can't just as easily get now elsewhere.  Maybe if they do eventually add some live TV, it'd be worth it.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What the heck -- gotta keep up with technology, right? I'll be picking one up this aftern