mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

Considering the cost of repairing anything these days and the sale prices of new TV's, I'd go for new.  But, you might want to try swapping the X1 box first or maybe even finding one of the old versions that has component output.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

Getting pretty far off-topic here, but don't confuse Samsung's QLED with OLED.  They are both good but very different things.   QLED is about filtering the backlight to a pure-white color where OLED actually emits the colors directly instead of having a backlight and is completely off for pure black.

https://www.techradar.com/news/oled-vs-qled

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

4 years ago

good article, thanks!  OLED sounds like the better way to go if high quality picture with high dollar price goes hand in hand.  QLED sounds like it's almost as good but at a lower price.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

OLEDs have better blacks and near-blacks - so they are probably the best for dark movie scenes in a dark room.  They may not have the brightness to compete with windows for watching TV in the daytime.  But really they are all pretty good these days.  This site has good reviews and comparisons.

https://www.rtings.com/

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

4 years ago

Again, these comments are off subject. Start a new thread. Thanks

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Sony XBR here, encountering the same issue. Replaced the box with Xfinity, didn't change a thing. 

It's only a problem when using ARC - has anyone found a solution at all? This thread has been open for more than year. 

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

The common denominator is Comcast/Xfinity not getting it fixed. The TV manufacturers need to work with all sources. Comcast does not care because they are not losing $ or customers.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@Bish0p wrote:

Sony XBR here, encountering the same issue. Replaced the box with Xfinity, didn't change a thing. 

It's only a problem when using ARC - has anyone found a solution at all? This thread has been open for more than year. 

I think this is the first I've seen Sony mentioned with this.   Are you connecting the X1 to one of the HDMI ports that take 4k HDR (2 and 3 only on many models) and have the enhanced setting on?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hello, 

I had this issue for the longest time. Went through multiple boxes with no change. Tried everyting that was described about settings and nothing changed. I finally found a solution that has worked for me for over the last 6 months and thought I would share, hopefully this will help some.

I found the issue had to deal with universal remotes. If I were to turn off and on the TV with the Xfinity remote I had no issues. I noticed it was only an issue with my TVs universal remote if I used to it turn the TV on or off. I have a Samsung TV with a universal remote and when the TV detects a new device on an input it automatically goes through and sets up the remote. You do have the option to skip the universal remote set up or remove it. Once I did this I have not had any issues with the black screen. Only downfall is you will not be able to use your TVs remote to control your cable box.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

This problem has caused me to spend a lot of money and waste a lot of time.  I ended up replacing my AVR with a brand new Marantz, upgraded HDMI over ethernet cabling and replaced all my local HDMI Cables. (The start of my "fun" was a black screen with audio due to the HDCP 1.4 to 2.2 incompatiblity...then I made upgrades). I have a PlayStation 4 Pro, ChromeCast HD hooked into the AVR and they both stream 4K content flalwessly.  I also have the X1 hooked up to the AVR which WILL work under 2160/30.  When I turn it up to 2160/60, I get the dreaded BLACK SCREEN intermittently. It is beyond frustrating.  My TV is a Samsung sUHD 4K. 

Bottom line, this is absolutely a flaw with the Comcast box.  So, my recommendation, is to turn down the output of the box  (maybe 1080p) until the thing works.  My solution will be to switch to Verizon Fios when my contract is up or just cut the cord entirely.  Comcast will have you replacing cables until you are broke...why they dont fix this is beyond me.  

I am just a customer, playing a customer, disguised as a customer...  trying to help those in the same boat.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

4 years ago

I was informed by the original poster of this issue that it did not apply to the problem I am having. We are still not sure of the cause, but are trying a few solutions. For the post on my issue search on the topic, "My TV turns on by itself" . I have posted updates under that topic. 

Thanks for your interest. 

Peg4

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hi Rusty.  I've seen you suggest this several times.  Unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@davidsadd1 wrote:

Hi Rusty.  I've seen you suggest this several times.  Unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

since you didn't quote the post there is no way to tell what didn't work for you. what issue are you having?

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

If disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable makes it work again it is a handshake issue.  Or possibly more quickly, switching the TV input to a different HDMI port and back.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

4 years ago

IS THIS THE HANDSHAKE ISSUE?

Just wondering I've been in this forum cause of my and other "Handshake " issues starting back before November 2018.   The issue I and others started the forum for does not seem to be the same as this issue   Our original issue for starting the forum has NOT yet been  solved.   Has it "morphed" into what you described??  Mine and others never solved BUT I did learn from others how to stop the problem 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here