mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

The firmware I have 100.1.0 in June did not fix the issue for me. I have no Eco settings turned on

Gotcha. Do you have a UHD TV? If so, have you tried disabling that feature and retesting?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@CCKenF wrote:

rlee131, I understand you're frustrated. Rafael still has your case open. Please respond to him in private message so he can reach out to tech ops.

no updates since the rollback in firmware to the 3/22 3.3p14s1 the menu xre is 100.1.0 but that doesn't affect the hardware like HDMI. I'm still having the problem, too.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@Rozr1 wrote:
any resolution or info regarding this issue from comcast? this is just getting worse and worse for me.

Ridiculous

Nothing.  Not too optimistic. I’ve been dealing with since November.  Great lip service from Comcast but no resolution.  Been waiting for a return call from a Senior Advanced repair person, Mark, who assured me he would call after he discussed with engineers  that was one month ago

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

any resolution or info regarding this issue from comcast? this is just getting worse and worse for me. I'm on fw 100 which shows dl on 7/1, if anything it made the issue worse.

Ridiculous

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

IMO, it will not be solved until Comcast has acutaul 4K programing. I just use the smart TV netfilx. Hands down better than comcast in terms of picture quality.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Rozr1 wrote:
any resolution or info regarding this issue from comcast? this is just getting worse and worse for me. I'm on fw 100 which shows dl on 7/1, if anything it made the issue worse.

Ridiculous

there are two versions that 'change', one is the one you referenced the XRE (menu system). the other is the firmware and appears on the about screen after "STB Version". The problem may be a firmware but can't be a menu issue. the problem may also be a hardware (the box design components) issue. it is unknown at this time. I change input on the TV to chromecast/DVD/roku then back to the DVR and the connection wakes up.

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

5 years ago

I think I may be a new victim with this issue.  Started losing video and sound for a 5-10 seconds a week ago, replaced all the HDMI cables with new high speed.  Not fixed.  Setup is XG1V4 to an old Marantz receiver and then to Panny F8500 (not 4K).   Thought OK, guess the Marantz HDMI ports are going, wanted to upgrade anyway and picked up a new Denon 2500 A/V. 

Now I am losing video every 15mins or so for a few seconds.  Always re-connects but makes tv unwatchable.  Strangely seems much worse when using Netflix or Amazon from the XG box.

Do these sound like the same handshake issues everyone is reporting?  Seems the one difference is it always reconnect by itself.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@chrisinfla wrote:

I think I may be a new victim with this issue.  Started losing video and sound for a 5-10 seconds a week ago, replaced all the HDMI cables with new high speed.  Not fixed.  Setup is XG1V4 to an old Marantz receiver and then to Panny F8500 (not 4K).   Thought OK, guess the Marantz HDMI ports are going, wanted to upgrade anyway and picked up a new Denon 2500 A/V. 

Now I am losing video every 15mins or so for a few seconds.  Always re-connects but makes tv unwatchable.  Strangely seems much worse when using Netflix or Amazon from the XG box.

Do these sound like the same handshake issues everyone is reporting?  Seems the one difference is it always reconnect by itself.

Sounds much different than the HANDSHAKE issue I have been dealing with since November 2018   Also sounds much different than the Handshake issues I have been reading about in this forum 

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I thought I conquered the handshake issue Changed hdmi port tv reconnected and Xfinty icon appeared.  Had Comcast icon worked for four days!  Some up and turned on tv and guess what black screen.  Unplugged cable box and picture/sound back.  I said f--k it reconnected thru Yamaha A\V.  I AM IN PROCESS OF CANNECTING HARMONY HUB/COMPANION RUNNING IT CABLE TO MEDIA CENTER.  I will report back to let everyone know if it was successful.  Timbo

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

5 years ago

Well I asked for a new box and it's on the way. Will post results here.
Over the last hours or 2 I've noticed that the issue stabilizes after an HDMI reconnect but always starts to come back after about 20 mins and get progressively worse.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

yea I'm mad I replaced my hdmi cables to due to this issue. My new ones exceed current specs and still same handshake issue. When it happens I can switch to hdmi 2 for firetv or hdmi 3 for chromecast and screens are working perfectly fine, but black screen for comcast so it's an comcast issue.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am happy to report that I was successful in bypassing the Comcast handshake issue.  I went out and bought a Harmony Hub.  I took the Comcast box out of the loop!  From what I have read from all the articles most people are using an a/v unit, replugged all devices back through my Yamaha A/V and that will do all the switching.  Amazon has a great deal on hug and remote.  Huh works well, only thing is you lose voice function.  

Logitech does have a voice remote but pricey.  I am happy with my set up.  I had a old Touch remote from Logitech  everything turns on and switches to the right inputs.  Good luck everyone!!

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Yeah let us know if that fixes the issue. I’ve had the 4K box for a few months now (with TCL 6 series) and just in the last few weeks, the hdmi handshake issue appeared. And I have the problem at least once a day and I either have to unplug the dvr or the hdmi to the tv. It’s very frustrating to deal with. But I don’t want to go back to an old box version. Hopefully they will push a software update to correct the issue. I have no idea why I had no issue for the first few months owning the box and now every day I have to deal with it.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I also have a Denon receiver and the same issue. Ever find a solution?

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@Cbutterw430 wrote:
I also have a Denon receiver and the same issue. Ever find a solution?

Only turning offf  the UHD to the HDMI port the x1 box is connected too. When this is done handshake issue goes away   Then turning it back on after tv and system starts.  Had issues since Nov 2018.  Comcast totally useless in fixing issue even the Comcast people on this forum like Comcast Ken and Rafael. Who contacted me several times then disappeared   aA Comcast Advanced support person (Mark) call me. He was going to contact the Comcast engineers  then call me back.  This was over 5 weeks ago. No Call yet.  Says a lot about Comcast support. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE NO  interest in fixing a long going nation wide issue  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here