mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

Did you ever determine if this was an Xfinity HDMI issue or your TVs issue? And if so, what did you do to fix it. Thank you.

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

Ultimately Comcast can and will need to fix this tech issue simply because you can change providers at a lower cost than changing televisions.

Their older boxes worked fine.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

@peg4 wrote:
Did you ever determine if this was an Xfinity HDMI issue or your TVs issue? And if so, what did you do to fix it. Thank you.

Well ultimately it has to be an Xfinity issue because Xfinity must have a system that will work with any and all television no matter what the issue unless Xfinity is going to give an Xfinity TV to every subscriber.  :>).

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Hi All, I've been following a few threads regarding the concerns with the 4K DVR and possible handshake issues (resulting in the need to reboot the box every day to get a picture). My main goal is to get engineering aware of this issue so we can get a fix rolled out. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. 

Ken

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Can you explain what is going on when Xfinity upgrades to a newer version like 98.1.6 and then reverts back to an earlier version 98.1.2 which is what is happening now. I don't see a difference so I was wondering what is being effected? Thank you

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Updates are rolled back sometimes, it’s not always for customer facing issues, so it’s not something you’ll notice

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Just wondering why you never responded to my post to you several weeks ago regarding the topic of this forum, “Handshake “. Any here was the post to you Incase it got lost

Comcast Andrew:

I agree the discussions regarding the "handshake" issue have gotten well off the topic but I have a question for you Comcast Andrew.

I have been subscribed to the Handshake issue forum since November.  I have read countless discussions regarding the issue and responded to several. I have yet to read anthing from a Comcast person indicating that comcast is going to fix the issue. In fact in my area (San Francisco Bay Area)  the technicians that have visited my home are not aware of the problem and  have no soultions other than reset the system, change the box, and change the cables and switch ports.  All of which do not fix the issue.   In fact one technician took some readings and told be there was a problem with my electrical service and that I should notify them.   I did (PG&E in my area) two people came out and checked all my plugs, the meter to my house, connections at the weather head and on the pole as well as the transformer along my electrical feed line.  They said there was absoutly no issues with my electrical service that it is perfect.  They investigated this for over 4 hours.

Additionally, when I call comcast  all they suggest is a reset and then send a technician to my home.   One person on this forum suggested I just turn off the UHD on the TV to the HDMI port connected to the the X1 box.  That does work for me but not for others.  Comcast has never made that suggestion.  Why?????

Please tell me when a Comcast represenative will take the lead on this nationwide issue and provide some guidance with regards to FIXING the HANDSHAKE issue???

Monitoring the forum is great when things get off track BUT with this issue ALL of us need a resolution from Comcast.   Again, WHEN WILL WE HEAR FROM COMCAST WITH A RESOLUTION?

rlee131

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

@rlee31, @CCKenF
is the contact you’re looking for and is looking for information privately for those affected. ( about 5 posts above)

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I too am having a problem with my cable box performing the morning handshake.  I have a Samsung UN55MU8000.  Cable box XGTV4 Suppose to be the latest version 4k. capable.  Please Comcast fix the problem!   Does anyone have suggestions?  Timbo

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@Timbo3 wrote:

I too am having a problem with my cable box performing the morning handshake.  I have a Samsung UN55MU8000.  Cable box XGTV4 Suppose to be the latest version 4k. capable.  Please Comcast fix the problem!   Does anyone have suggestions?  Timbo

Hi

I have Samsung 2017 Q7 TV.   Been on the forum since Jan and had the issue since Nov 2018.  I have many posts and tried every possible configuration  Been in contact with countless number of Comcast people   Most recently an advanced repair Tech we contacted me through the forum.  He was going to get in contact with the engineers and get back to me.  It’s been three weeks and guess what? NO CALL. ALSO NO SURPRISE TO ME.   Comcast does not seem interested in fixing so don’t waste your time    I did fin one thing from a person on this forum that does work for my system. That is in the TV settings  Turn off the UHD setting to the HDMI port that connects to the X1 before turning tv off  when it’s set there I NEVER have the handshake issue   But when the UHD is turned on I have the problem every 2/3 days   I have been told on this forum by some that the UHD does not have to be on because the X 1 box does not need it to supply a 4K picture.  However I do notice a “slight “ difference in picture quality when it’s turned off. So I just turn it on while watching and off before turning system off   It’s a “work around” that works for me.  Don’t waste your time like I have with Comcast. MAYBE someday they’ll send out a firmware that will fix it.  I actually hand Hundreads of hours  dealing with the issue and Comcast Techs/ Reps.  Good luck let me know if turning off the UHD works for you 

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the info.  No problem this morning(lucky) I will take your suggestion and see what happens.  If I have success I will provide feedback.

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Hey All, 

A firmware update was pushed in early June that has seemed to fix the issue for a few folks on the forums. I'd be happy to check the firmware version you all have on your boxes. Additional things to consider, do you have some sort of eco saving mode on your TV? Please attempt to deactivate the eco saver mode on the TV as well as the box and retest. 

Ken

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

The firmware I have 100.1.0 in June did not fix the issue for me. I have no Eco settings turned on

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

rlee131, I understand you're frustrated. Rafael still has your case open. Please respond to him in private message so he can reach out to tech ops.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

WOW. Sure have have tried EVERYTHING as can be seen by my posts with you and members since November 2018

. Been through this with you and Comcast Rafael who you handed me off to then was  contacted by Advanced who was checking with the engineers and going to call me back. Been three weeks and  still no return call

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here