mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

5 years ago

All,

This forum is getting totally out of hand.  There is really no useful reason to post any further messages because of the facts:

a. We all know that the XG1 box has an issue - Which Comcast appears to agree about.

b. Comcast could care less about fixing it or they would show some real customer service action with a real PLAN and a suspense date.

c. Comcast is clueless about how a company should process updates and managing configuration control by exhibiting a behavior of just pushing updates with no revision control and what appears to be a "cross your fingers and hope this works" approach.

Why not just leave this forum dormant until somebody actually gets some resolution for a problem that is well over a year old now.  

I just shake my head at the whole situation and can't understand how anyone at Comcast can be proud of the company they work for given the quality and service they provide for the cost.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

The summary is accurate. setting my 4K DVR to 1080p has improved the quality of the picture and color of the TV. It's been about a week since I changed my DVR settings and so far I haven't had any connection problems with the TV.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Agree!!!

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Clarify - ad I also wrote, there is no news and just conflicting statements so time to stop

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

I think that’s the point - no useful information and nothing from Comcast. My understanding is that they gave an internal forum where theses thing get discussed among the techs. But as I wrote, none of us had found a solution ad I believe there is none from the user side. What I think and you think will not stop this discussion. I’d only ask that if you are new to it, read all the previous posts.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

I guess I like to get what I pay for and what is advertised. The box should be able to be set to the ultra high def setting and not need rebooting. Yes, there obviously is something not right with it. But to duck the issue like you suggest and not use what should be usable is giving Comcast a pass on putting out problematic hardware and not be accountable.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

@radnortx1 wrote:
I guess I like to get what I pay for and what is advertised. The box should be able to be set to the ultra high def setting and not need rebooting. Yes, there obviously is something not right with it. But to duck the issue like you suggest and not use what should be usable is giving Comcast a pass on putting out problematic hardware and not be accountable.

In general I agree with you. If I'm paying for it then I want it and I want it to work properly. However, in this case since I'm not seeing anything being broadcast in 4K the point is kind of moot for me.

However, if I had too choose which bothers me more I would work on making the 4K UHD setting look as good or better than the 1080P setting since I paid more for the 4K TV I want to watch 4K and have it look good. Then work on the reconnection issue. I can temporarily fix the reconnection issue by hardbooting the DVR. I can't make the 4K setting look as good at 1080P setting. That is out of my control.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

What if you watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon in 4K and the box is on 1080, no 4K . Turning the HDMI color input off and leaving the box in 4K setting should give you the 4K .

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Got the 97.1.3 update over the weekend and it  did't change anything as far as receving video but now the audio comes thru which didn't happen with previous updated.I nturned my Color HDMI off and everthing works again when first turned on in the morning. Comcast needs to get a better Enginnering Dept, this is a embarrassment to a a multi million dollar company. I'm a retired Areospace Engineering and this would of never been allowed to go on as long as this has in my industry!

Official Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@WindsurfMaui, I did not hear back from you in our private message regarding this connection loss you have been experiencing, so I will be locking this thread. Please send me a private message if you still need assistance with this. Please create a new Public post if you need assistance with any new issues or concerns. We're here to help! Thank you and we appreciate you being the best part of Comcast!

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Mine does same. Annoying.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry Amira I didn't get an email message that you had sent me a message.  I sometimes don't get email messages that new posts have arrived. No idea why. Anyway, As for my connection problems I have been following the advice in that thread. I changed my settings from 4K UHD to 1080p on the new DVR and I haven't had the problem since. I, like everyone else, am waiting for Comcast to fix the problem with a software update. In the meantime it works with 1080p. Thanks 

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

There is no answer , were all waiting for a fix from Comcast. I think all of us have done everything possible for a work around and some have been successful and some not so much. Were all just waiting for a Comcast fix so that the 4k box can be used like it was intended.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

The summary is accurate. setting my 4K DVR to 1080p has improved the quality of the picture and color of the TV. It's been about a week since I changed my DVR settings and so far I haven't had any connection problems with the TV.

OK So setting the DVR to 1080P stopped the problem with the DVR not recognizing the TV. It also improved the quality of the picture. So although the HDMI cable I had was rated to 4K I purchased a slightly better cable (a premium 4K cable from MonoPrice) which now allows me to set the TV to 4K UHD and the quality of the color did not deteriorate. Now I will leave the TV set to 4K UHD and see if the recognition problem returns or whether the cable upgrade has solved it. (I don't think the cable upgrade will solve the problem but I thought it would be an interesting experiment).

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Maybe premature but git upgrade to 97.1.4 without any issue!!!!! And it’s been ok for a few days. Could it be fixed? I’ll keep you all informed.
BTW - power saver was on and working.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here