Community Forum

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

Contributor

Re: XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I know it’s stressful! I was about to give up also till the work around came up. Actually I had made a appointment to downgrade my box to non 4K one I had previously but I’ve been fine for a couple of months now with my Samsung tv,. I couldn’t switch to another cable company because It’s Comcast or Direct Tv , no Fios in my area.
Gold Problem Solver

Anyone posting or monitoring this thread may want to read my thread posted 3/15/2019.
New Poster

Exact same issue.  Multiple calls.  Its hard to believe this is a TV brand problem as I have a Vizio E70-F3 having the same issue as those mentioned with Samsung and Sony.  The boxes have a problem.  It's dissappointing that the internal apps of my TV have the ability to do what a device I'm paying a monthly rental for does not.  I'm not looking for the cheapest solution, I'm looking for a service that works.  If Comcast equipment doesn't catch up to 4k as more content becomes available they'll face a further wave of cord cutters who can no longer justify spending over $200 a month for something replaced by internet + a $50 device that does what theirs cannot consistently.  I'm rooting for a solution before I have to shop elsewhere.

Contributor

Went 5 days this time and then a black screen. I will be asking $5 from Comcast fir everyday I have to reboot. If everyone stated doing that, maybe we’d see a fix. And I agree, not brand specific as my people claim.
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

Comcast has not yet announced when the fix is ready for the 'wake up' issue with some TVs and the XG1v4 4k/UHD set top box. The simplist workaround is to change the TV HDMI input to any other port and then back to the HDMI port the set top box is connected. That way no reboot is necessary and you don't lose the current channel's buffer. 

This "simplest" workaround doesn't work for me. 

I have had this issue since July (it is almost April now). It has been 270 days in which I've had to reboot the XG1v4 box (by unplugging and replugging) nearly every single day. I've spoken with numerous Comcast techs. I've had four boxes and two techs in my home. I've been promised credits that have never appeared. 

One of the most recent Comcast customer service reps sounded almost antagonistic on the phone. He wasn't a tech, but he was recommending that I buy even more equipment to "fix" a problem -- in which he wouldn't listen to the various efforts that I've already tried or that he apparently had no skills in trying to diagnose.  He kept blaming both the TV and the "wiring in the house" -- despite the fact that I told him that we did not have this problem when I borrowed my sister-in-law's television. 

At this point, Directv and Dish Network are sounding very appealing. 

Regular Visitor

Some company is about to get put on Blast because Howard Stern is doing a whole segment on this situation right now...tune in!

@chrismireya wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Comcast has not yet announced when the fix is ready for the 'wake up' issue with some TVs and the XG1v4 4k/UHD set top box. The simplist workaround is to change the TV HDMI input to any other port and then back to the HDMI port the set top box is connected. That way no reboot is necessary and you don't lose the current channel's buffer. 

I have had this issue since July (it is almost April now). It has been 270 days in which I've had to reboot the XG1v4 box (by unplugging and replugging) nearly every single day. I've spoken with numerous Comcast techs. I've had four boxes and two techs in my home. I've been promised credits that have never appeared. 

One of the most recent Comcast customer service reps sounded almost antagonistic on the phone. He wasn't a tech, but he was recommending that I buy even more equipment to "fix" a problem -- in which he wouldn't listen to the various efforts that I've already tried or that he apparently had no skills in trying to diagnose.  He kept blaming both the TV and the "wiring in the house" -- despite the fact that I told him that we did not have this problem when I borrowed my sister-in-law's television. 

@chrismireya wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

@Chicken731 wrote:

Some company is about to get put on Blast because Howard Stern is doing a whole segment on this situation right now...tune in!

@chrismireya wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@chrismireya wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Too bad; I've never had an issue with either of my 4k DVR's.  Most issues have to do with the coax wiring somewhere; it took more than one tech visit to find all my issues.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I've had this issue ever since getting my 4k box. I have a samsung hu8550 (2014). Tech came out and said to try new hdmi cable. Try new hdmi cables that exceed 4k specs and still have same issues. Only way to get picture is to power box off and on. Guess I need to try hdmi color off and also should try port 3 on my tv since its 2.2 hdcp capable. All the other hdmi ports are hdmi 2.0 which are 4k ready.
Valued Contributor

TV and new DVR losing hardwired connection

My new DVR (model #AX014AM) periodically (seems like overnight, maybe during updates)  loses the connection with my TV even though it is hardwaired with a HDMI cable. The only way to get it to reset is hardboot the DVR. Obvisouly this is a problem that I need to fix. Any ideas on what settings I need to change to get this from happening again?

Contributor

@Rozr1 wrote:
I've had this issue ever since getting my 4k box. I have a samsung hu8550 (2014). Tech came out and said to try new hdmi cable. Try new hdmi cables that exceed 4k specs and still have same issues. Only way to get picture is to power box off and on. Guess I need to try hdmi color off and also should try port 3 on my tv since its 2.2 hdcp capable. All the other hdmi ports are hdmi 2.0 which are 4k ready.

Rozr1

Several months ago I had the issue that had been going on for many months with my Q7 2017 Samsung TV  I have many posts you can review around Jan and Feb   Tried everything, new boxes, cables, comcast out 4 times, telephone calls to comcast nothing workied UNTIL  one of the members of the forum said try turning off th UHD to the HDMI port the x1 box is connected to.  It will not change the picture quality

I did that and have not had the issue even once since then.  Give it a try maybe will work for you   Good Luck

Silver Problem Solver

@rlee131 wrote:

@Rozr1 wrote:

Rozr1

Several months ago I had the issue that had been going on for many months with my Q7 2017 Samsung TV  I have many posts you can review around Jan and Feb   Tried everything, new boxes, cables, comcast out 4 times, telephone calls to comcast nothing workied UNTIL  one of the members of the forum said try turning off th UHD to the HDMI port the x1 box is connected to.  It will not change the picture quality

I did that and have not had the issue even once since then.  Give it a try maybe will work for you   Good Luck

Hmm.  I have a Vizio UHD TV connected to the 4K HD STB and I have never had this issue.  I will check my TV to see if UHD is turned off on the TV's HDMI port.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

Thanks. I will try this solution on my Samsung 4K and report back in a couple of weeks.

Silver Problem Solver

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Thanks. I will try this solution on my Samsung 4K and report back in a couple of weeks.

You might also check to see if the TV HDMI port is ARC and/or CEC.

Gold Problem Solver

I posted this in another thread but I will repeat it here.

I have an LG OLED and 2 Panasonic plasma TV sets. I have no issues with HDMI handshakes. Why?

1. I turn off all power save or "ECO" modes on all devices. I leave my X1 boxes turned on 24-7-365.
2. I do not use ARC. I don't trust it.
3. I do not use any HDMI-CEC features. I don't trust them either.
4. I constantly check to see if any of my devices (especially TV and AV receiver) have any firmware updates.
5. I firmly believe in both AC power conditioning and high end HDMI cables.
Contributor

I have been good with no problems for almost 3 months now since i turned off the "HDMI UHD Color" port that connects to my Samsung TV from theXG1v4-A  as recomended by Samsung Tech Support. According to Samsung the HDMI UHD Color has to be on only if your doing gaming because it effects the refresh rate but has no effect on the 4K input .It's not a fix for the problem but a good HANDSHAKE workaround solution for me. I did the HDMI cable update which made no difference in my case. Having the box go into sleep mode also worked for me . Comcast called me 2 weeks ago and said their coming out with another update to the box soon which hopefully will work for me. All previous updates have not worked for me but did work for other customers. 

Official Employee

Re: TV and new DVR losing hardwired connection

Hi @WindsurfMaui, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear about this connection issue you are experiencing between the X1 cable box an your TV. I would be more than happy to assist you with this! So from what you can tell, the box still appears to be online when it losses connection to the TV? Also when you reboot the cable box, it automatically just reconnects to the TV during the reboot? You don't have to adjust the HDMI cable or anything like that, correct? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Correct. I changed the service level on the DVR from 4k to 1080p per others experience and now testing to see if that solves the problem.
Gold Problem Solver

The problem with turning off HDMI UHD Color is you could very well be turning off HDR capability on that TV input. That is not an acceptable solution for me however I found that toggling this setting off and back on on my LG OLED may have resolved the problem in my case.
Contributor

Yes to all your questions. Reboot to the box works everytime, HDMI Color is still turned on. Boxhas been replaced twice, Supervisor and a tech spent 3 hours checking all wiring ,signal levels and line noise but everything is fine.Prior to this there were many regular tech out to my house and tried everything possible with no success, thats when I requested a Supervisor or higher level tech come out.The Supervisor attributed the probem to the cable box and somebody calsl me everytime they send a update to my 4k box. I don't know what you can do that they haven't done but appreciate your help or suggestions. Think I need a fine tuned golden box  to fix my problem. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes changing to 1080 does correct problem which was tried in the very begining . Doing that brings me back to the older box that I had before this one. I wanted a 4k box because I have Netflix which I'm getting from Comcast and that has a lot of 4k programing .

Gold Problem Solver

The XG1V4 looks better on all programming including Netflix when set to 1080p.

I use my Sony 4K UHD Blu-ray player or Roku Ultra streamer when I am serious about watching 4K and or HDR programs.
Valued Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
The XG1V4 looks better on all programming including Netflix when set to 1080p.

I use my Sony 4K UHD Blu-ray player or Roku Ultra streamer when I am serious about watching 4K and or HDR programs.

That is exactly what happened to us. When I switched the DVR settings from 4K to 1080p it immediately improved the color settings  on regular TV programs. We haven't logged into Netflix yet but I would assume the color settings are better there as well. And I am willing to accept this compromise for now but hope Comcast will fix the connection issue before 4K becomes common.

Contributor

Does any one know latest software version. Mine is st 96.1.2. I’ve heard others have 97.x.x.
Contributor

I was told by Comcast that their waiting for .3 release to be released because they want to send it to me to try, that was 3 weeks ago.
Gold Problem Solver

New software and firmware roll out in waves across the country. It can be a  week or two before everyone has the latest. Comcast never provides exact dates.

@jmg1951 wrote:
I was told by Comcast that their waiting for .3 release to be released because they want to send it to me to try, that was 3 weeks ago.

Valued Contributor

Both my 10+ year old DVR and the new 4K DVR are showing the same release. 97.1.2 as of 4/2/2019 

Gold Problem Solver

Just for the sake of clarifcation, X1 service is roughly 6 years old. If memory serves me properly, this forum started around May 2013. I first installed X1 in September 2013.

I think it is important for people to understand that Comcast is constantly pushing out fixes that are not reflected by version number changes. I learned many years ago that watching and trusting X1 version numbers (XRE which is guide software, STB which is box firmware) can be a waste of time.

My point is... if you are waiting  around for a certain version to arrive, it may come weeks later and may not fix what you were hoping or expecting. Then Comcast may push the fix out quietly a day or two later yet not change the version numbers.

Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

New software and firmware roll out in waves across the country. It can be a  week or two before everyone has the latest. Comcast never provides exact dates.

@jmg1951 wrote:

Guess we’ll (I will See). I’ve been dealing with for many months (Check  my posts from Jan) a member on the forum suggested a couple of months ago that I not select the UHD going into my Samsung 2017 Q7  TV from the X1 box. It worked for a few months since he suggested.  After seeing some posted there were Comcast updates that had come out   I tried turning the UHD HDMI PORT BACK ON.  guess what.?  The next morning when I turned everything on again, the HANDSHAKE propblem back.  Had to restart the X1.  Then I once again put the HDMI Port back to UHD.  Now NO MORE HANDSHAKE ISSUES. just like before

anyway for me the issue was resolved a few months ago my turning off UHD to that HDMI port

just one thing I have seen a few posts that some said that by turning off the UHD to the port you will not get a UHD 4K picture.  Well, for me just as the person said that suggested that, IT IS TRUE (at least for my system) there is no detoriation in picture quality.  The person that suggested doing that said that it  is because of the way the X1 sends the signal.   I have no idea BUT what that forum person said was correct, at least for me and my system. 

Hope this is helpful because I’ve seen so many conflicting posts

rlee131

Contributor

Just got 97.1.3
Contributor

Let me know if it works for you. Have to clean and see what have.
Contributor

A lot of conflicting info in all these posts.
Let me summarize. The problem is that when an update is sent to the box with video set to the best UHD setting and the TV is off, the screen and sound do not come back when TV is turned on requiring a reboot.
This seems to affect many different TVs including Samsung, Sony and Visio.
No fix recommended by Comcast or anyone had fixed the issue permanently. We went two weeks until an update and it came back.
Comcast seems to be oblivious to wanting to fix this.
My local tech is aware but has no solution.
Going to power save seemed to work but I think it also stops the update. Yesterday I took it off and an update put 97.1.3 on the box but of course I needed to reboot.
Maybe this one will fix the issue.
Gold Problem Solver

Repeating myself,

I don't consider turning off the UHD Deep Color setting on my LG OLED to be an acceptable solution because it disables HDR on that input.

It certainly appears this issue applies to certain brands of TV sets. But I also think it is important to note that the XG1V4 looks SUBSTANTIALLY better when set to 1080p vs 4k which appears to resolve this issue for some if not many people. Personally, I think there is something wrong with the XG1V4 when it is set to 4k. The picture is really soft. I don't know if the issue is hardware, firmware or both but something does not look right...

Frequent Visitor

All,

This forum is getting totally out of hand.  There is really no useful reason to post any further messages because of the facts:

a. We all know that the XG1 box has an issue - Which Comcast appears to agree about.

b. Comcast could care less about fixing it or they would show some real customer service action with a real PLAN and a suspense date.

c. Comcast is clueless about how a company should process updates and managing configuration control by exhibiting a behavior of just pushing updates with no revision control and what appears to be a "cross your fingers and hope this works" approach.

Why not just leave this forum dormant until somebody actually gets some resolution for a problem that is well over a year old now.  

I just shake my head at the whole situation and can't understand how anyone at Comcast can be proud of the company they work for given the quality and service they provide for the cost.

Valued Contributor

The summary is accurate. setting my 4K DVR to 1080p has improved the quality of the picture and color of the TV. It's been about a week since I changed my DVR settings and so far I haven't had any connection problems with the TV.

Contributor

Agree!!!
Contributor

Clarify - ad I also wrote, there is no news and just conflicting statements so time to stop
Gold Problem Solver

I think it is reasonable to continue this conversation simply because I have no issues with the XG1V4 (other than picture quality when set to 4K) so we should continue to explore this issue.

If we are going to resolve this problem we need to eliminate variables and find common denominators. People need to talk about their equipment and their market area. We need to know the brands and age of the the gear.

One of the biggest problems with this thread is very few people provide enough helpful information to move it forward.
Contributor

I think that’s the point - no useful information and nothing from Comcast. My understanding is that they gave an internal forum where theses thing get discussed among the techs. But as I wrote, none of us had found a solution ad I believe there is none from the user side. What I think and you think will not stop this discussion. I’d only ask that if you are new to it, read all the previous posts.
Gold Problem Solver

New to it???

I have had X1 service since 08/13 and have been a member of this forum since 09/13. So no... I am not new to it. I did receive the first XG1-A that arrived in Minnesota and it is very possible that I received the first XG1V4 that arrived in MN.

So let's go over this again. Here are the reasons I believe that I do not have HDMI handshake issues with X1 boxes:

1. I leave my X1 boxes turned on 24-7-365. The difference between in power draw between turned on and standby is pennies per year.
2. I do not use any power save or ECO modes on any of my AV gear. It causes more problems than it is worth.
3. I do not use ARC. The AV industry has not fully accepted this standard and it is not reliable.
4. I do not use HDMI-CEC features. Once again, the AV industry has not fully accepted this standard. It is not predictable.
5. I constantly check for firmware updates on all of my gear, especially my AV receivers and TVs. Manufacturers post updates for a reason and they often involve HDMI fixes.
6. I use high end HDMI cables and power conditioning.
7. I do not use the 4k setting on the XG1V4. It is much too soft looking and I am convinced there is something wrong with the 4k setting.

@radnortx1 wrote:
I think that’s the point - no useful information and nothing from Comcast. My understanding is that they gave an internal forum where theses thing get discussed among the techs. But as I wrote, none of us had found a solution ad I believe there is none from the user side. What I think and you think will not stop this discussion. I’d only ask that if you are new to it, read all the previous posts.

Contributor

I guess I like to get what I pay for and what is advertised. The box should be able to be set to the ultra high def setting and not need rebooting. Yes, there obviously is something not right with it. But to duck the issue like you suggest and not use what should be usable is giving Comcast a pass on putting out problematic hardware and not be accountable.
Valued Contributor

@radnortx1 wrote:
I guess I like to get what I pay for and what is advertised. The box should be able to be set to the ultra high def setting and not need rebooting. Yes, there obviously is something not right with it. But to duck the issue like you suggest and not use what should be usable is giving Comcast a pass on putting out problematic hardware and not be accountable.

In general I agree with you. If I'm paying for it then I want it and I want it to work properly. However, in this case since I'm not seeing anything being broadcast in 4K the point is kind of moot for me.

However, if I had too choose which bothers me more I would work on making the 4K UHD setting look as good or better than the 1080P setting since I paid more for the 4K TV I want to watch 4K and have it look good. Then work on the reconnection issue. I can temporarily fix the reconnection issue by hardbooting the DVR. I can't make the 4K setting look as good at 1080P setting. That is out of my control.

Gold Problem Solver

I am not ducking anything. In fact I am winning both the battle and the war. Why? Because I recognized immediately that there was something wrong with the XG1V4 when set to 4k so I use other sources for 4k programming. The XG1V4 looks much better when set to 1080p and I feel sorry for anyone that can't see it. 

The other reason why I am not ducking anything is because I have provided a detailed list of reasons why I believe that I am not having handshake issues on any of my X1 boxes, not just my XG1V4. It's not just the 4k setting. 

Here are the reasons I support the XG1V4:

1. It is small and it runs cool and quiet.
2. It is easily the fastest responding X1 box.

3. The 1080p picture quality ain't bad (except for very dark scenes).

My issues with the XG1V4:

1. I truly believe there is something wrong with the 4k picture quality. My Sony UHD Blu-ray player and Roku Ultra look MUCH better when set to 4k. 
2. The infrared signal receiving sensitivity is very poor. 

My greater concern here is anyone who is setting their XG1V4 to 4k and leaving it there is really missing out.

@radnortx1 wrote:

Contributor

What if you watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon in 4K and the box is on 1080, no 4K . Turning the HDMI color input off and leaving the box in 4K setting should give you the 4K .
Gold Problem Solver

My Sony UHD Blu-ray player and Roku Ultra look MUCH BETTER on 4k Netflix than the XG1V4 does. As does my TVs built-in streaming app.
Contributor

Got the 97.1.3 update over the weekend and it  did't change anything as far as receving video but now the audio comes thru which didn't happen with previous updated.I nturned my Color HDMI off and everthing works again when first turned on in the morning. Comcast needs to get a better Enginnering Dept, this is a embarrassment to a a multi million dollar company. I'm a retired Areospace Engineering and this would of never been allowed to go on as long as this has in my industry!

Official Employee

@WindsurfMaui, I did not hear back from you in our private message regarding this connection loss you have been experiencing, so I will be locking this thread. Please send me a private message if you still need assistance with this. Please create a new Public post if you need assistance with any new issues or concerns. We're here to help! Thank you and we appreciate you being the best part of Comcast!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Tv screen is back but has sound

Mine does same. Annoying.
Valued Contributor

Sorry Amira I didn't get an email message that you had sent me a message.  I sometimes don't get email messages that new posts have arrived. No idea why. Anyway, As for my connection problems I have been following the advice in that thread. I changed my settings from 4K UHD to 1080p on the new DVR and I haven't had the problem since. I, like everyone else, am waiting for Comcast to fix the problem with a software update. In the meantime it works with 1080p. Thanks 

Silver Problem Solver

What version is the XG1v4 HDMI port - 2.2 or 2.1?

Contributor

There is no answer , were all waiting for a fix from Comcast. I think all of us have done everything possible for a work around and some have been successful and some not so much. Were all just waiting for a Comcast fix so that the 4k box can be used like it was intended.