CCGwen's profile

Contributor

• 

235 Messages

Monday, October 6th, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@nguyenmickey wrote:

Well, I am an EE (Electrical Engineer) so it helps for sure.If the signal was bad all the time on all the channel it probably would be easier to troubleshoot.

My signal seemto only degrade during primetime on 2 channels, NFL Network and NBC HD (406 and 432 here in Tallahassee). I can't show/confirm the Comcast tech my problem so they can't fix it if they don't see it.

I suppose, I could have Comcast added the amplifier but the few times that they did my wiring I ended up have to redo the work anyway (leaving the cable above the ground, using cheap components and not tidy up the wires and such). I figure if I am going to have redo what they did, I might as well do it the first time to save me the aggravation. Besides, they are only responsible for the signal 'outside' your home. It cost extra, if they have to troubleshoot inside the house.

As you probably already know, the X1 box seem to require a much stronger signal to work properly compare to the previous generation boxes. According to Comcast, they can only guarantee a 4-terminal splits (example: a 4-way splitter) for X1 box. Each split level reduce the signal by -3.5 dB. In addition to that the cable length also reduce the signal strength.

The best way to confirm that signal strength is the main cause is to split the main line using a 2-way split and go directly to the main box and see see if the pixelation stops. If it fixed it then it almost always the signal strength issue.

Your EE background is a blessing. I have a telcom network engr background and that doesn't help one iota! We have one X1 box and no splitters or sat. boxes and pixels come and go on network and cable stations and premiums. Drives us nuts.  Of course it won't happen if a tech comes. They better not charge me if they have to put a signal booster/ amplifier inside the house where the cable comes in if that is the issue.....!  We are on a dedicated drop as we don't live in a development.  I don't blame you for doing what you did to save aggravation and know that it was fixed! Good for you!

From Andrew: You have a splitter somewhere ( you have a modem too). No charge for amps but you don't need one for one device. Have a tech out to actually track down the cause.

Andrew, I have cable/internet/phone and  of course I have a modem.... DOCSIS 3.0. Installed it all my little female self. Then had to get/install a personal T Mobile  cell spot in conjunction  with the modem because  Xfinity wifi  signal won't go past  the room  the modem sits in. I feel that you are talking down to me which is not helpful. I  am not an amateur at this just because I am not an EE. If you are talking about the splitter for the cable/internet...yep got one of those and it has not been disturbed since it was put in long long ago. I don't have any other splitters as we only have one stb/dvr.   Not only do I have pixelation but screen goes black and sound goes away and round and round we go.  Just so happens I have just been watching a recorded ABC program and the entire hour was pixels and black outs.

I have gone to the diagnostic screens and reported my readings to one of the user gurus on these forums and he told me they were  unacceptable.

Not sure now about the tech coming after Nguyenmickey said  something about them charging for any inside troubleshooting. The splitter is in the house...duh.

Problem Solver

• 

1.6K Messages

8 years ago

Not sure how you can say ComcastAndrew is talking down to you.  He just pointed out that in one of your previous posts (see below) that you have no splitters in your setup.

You also pointed out that splitter "has not been disturbed since it was put in long long ago".  Splitters can degrade due to environmental effects (corrosion, etc), manufacturing defects, etc.  All Andrew was suggesting was for you to have a tech out to try to diagnose your pixelation issue, which you seem to be complaining about for a while now.  If you are so against having a tech out, why don't you first replace the splitter yourself.  If the pixelation goes away great, if not, then it would probably be in your best interest to have a tech out. Why suffer through bad service if you don't have to?

@TerriB wrote:
@TerriB wrote:

Your EE background is a blessing. I have a telcom network engr background and that doesn't help one iota! We have one X1 box and no splitters or sat. boxes and pixels come and go on network and cable stations and premiums. Drives us nuts.  Of course it won't happen if a tech comes. They better not charge me if they have to put a signal booster/ amplifier inside the house where the cable comes in if that is the issue.....!  We are on a dedicated drop as we don't live in a development.  I don't blame you for doing what you did to save aggravation and know that it was fixed! Good for you!

Andrew, I have cable/internet/phone and  of course I have a modem.... DOCSIS 3.0. Installed it all my little female self. Then had to get/install a personal T Mobile  cell spot in conjunction  with the modem because  Xfinity wifi  signal won't go past  the room  the modem sits in. I feel that you are talking down to me which is not helpful. I  am not an amateur at this just because I am not an EE. If you are talking about the splitter for the cable/internet...yep got one of those and it has not been disturbed since it was put in long long ago. I don't have any other splitters as we only have one stb/dvr.   Not only do I have pixelation but screen goes black and sound goes away and round and round we go.  Just so happens I have just been watching a recorded ABC program and the entire hour was pixels and black outs.

I have gone to the diagnostic screens and reported my readings to one of the user gurus on these forums and he told me they were  unacceptable.

Not sure now about the tech coming after Nguyenmickey said  something about them charging for any inside troubleshooting. The splitter is in the house...duh.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Not sure how you can say ComcastAndrew is talking down to you.  He just pointed out that in one of your previous posts (see below) that you have no splitters in your setup.

You also pointed out that splitter "has not been disturbed since it was put in long long ago".  Splitters can degrade due to environmental effects (corrosion, etc), manufacturing defects, etc.  All Andrew was suggesting was for you to have a tech out to try to diagnose your pixelation issue, which you seem to be complaining about for a while now.  If you are so against having a tech out, why don't you first replace the splitter yourself.  If the pixelation goes away great, if not, then it would probably be in your best interest to have a tech out. Why suffer through bad service if you don't have to?

@TerriB wrote:
@TerriB wrote:

To me Andrew's 'language' sounded condescending. I have worked with him before and like him very much and did not mean to dis-respect him but I did feel dis-repected like I was a moron but I will get over it. My splitter is inside and you hinted that they would charge me. I thought they only charged if a problem turned out to be house wiring related and I am sure this is not the case. Thats my hesitation to have tech come out. I will have to talk to Comcast before I let them come here.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

@TerriB wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@TerriB wrote:
@TerriB wrote:

To me Andrew's 'language' sounded condescending. I have worked with him before and like him very much and did not mean to dis-respect him but I did feel dis-repected like I was a moron but I will get over it. My splitter is inside and you hinted that they would charge me. I thought they only charged if a problem turned out to be house wiring related and I am sure this is not the case. Thats my hesitation to have tech come out. I will have to talk to Comcast before I let them come here.

I apologize if you thought I was condescending I was merely pointing out what to look for in your own house. If the splitter is inside it's considered a part of your inside wiring. The diagnostic screen isn't going to tell anything about individual channels, only a tech onsite will be able to diagnose individual frequencies and troubleshoot any channels that you are having issues with. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is ridiculous - X1 is not really progress becaus eit dont work 50% of the time. 

I have been a 20 year customer - never had tech come out to the house for anything until the rep told me they would switch my system to upgrade X1 for being  agreat customer  -   "It is the Best system yet" he said.  . . ..   apperantly that is just a sales speech.  I have 5 rooms with boxes - My  boxes all take turns working, tech have been to the house  every week, wasted countless hours on the phone, changed all the cables in and outside, been back again to put filters on the lines, they have changed all the boxes about 10x.   This is getting really old.  I am switching to verizon as i am sure comcast will not give me my old set up back.

This is just ridiculous.  Worst transition ever.  It cant be great if it dont work.  Reliability is way more important to me than having another 100 HD channels and a talk remote. I can push the buttons - no problem.

rrrrrrrrrrrr 

Silver Problem Solver

• 

11.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi wboffthelake, is this happening on both of your cable boxes?

Thank you

Silver Problem Solver

• 

11.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi Turtles50,  this is a channel tuning error, please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue.  

Thank you

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

Calling on a Comcast rep.....

Can you move this new thread to appear under technical issues where  I believe

it belongs please...it needs attention

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/No-Longer-Receiving-Prompt-to-Delete-Show-after-Watching/m-p/2796674#M112612

Thanks

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I have an older Samsung TV (LN46A550P3FXZA) and recently swiched to the X1 platform. When X1 was instaled by a Comcast tech all was fine. He rewired the house and hooked up the DVR and three sat boxes along with a new modem. Recently whenever the TV is turned off for an extended amount of time (overnight), there is a handshake issue.  When turned on the screen is a bunch of colored lines. It turnes off and turns back on with the same lines and a loud harsh stactic noise. It turns off once more and then connects correctly.The TV is HDMI 1 to the DVR box and all other connections have been disconnected. I have tried using other HDMI ports with the same result. Its seems if I unplunge the DVR before turning it on in the morning it connects properly, but that is not a viable solution. I know it's an old TV but works fine other that for this issue. No filmware update are available for the TV an longer. Is there any way to resolve this issue other that buying a new TV and hopeing that I don't have any issues with Comcast and it?  Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

The other possibility is possibly swapping out the box and see if it continues with the new one.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Any-net was on. I turned off and will see if that was the issue tomorrow.

Thanks

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I turned Any-net off but issue still exists. I wish I never swiched to X1 !!!!!!

Expert

• 

18K Messages

8 years ago

@hilake wrote:

I turned Any-net off but issue still exists. I wish I never swiched to X1 !!!!!!

I would take Andrew's advice and have the box swapped out in case there is an issue with the HDMI port in the box....  short of swapping out the HDMI cable I think you are pretty much at the end of the line as far as self-troubleshooting goes....

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have had two technicians tell me that there is an outage with the video feed, but when I check my connection status it says that the TV is working.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

How can I find out if there is an outage and when the cable will work?
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here