Afritalian's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, October 29th, 2018 11:00 AM

Closed

X1 Intermittent Sound Cut Out Skipping Audio Issue

Hello! I am posting to hopefully help others in the same boat. I have been experiencing intermittent audio issues on my X1 DVR (not 4k). It would be so random and occur on live TV, on-demand as well as recorded shows, although it was usually worse during recorded shows and on-demand. Sometimes it would occur 6-10 times a minute. AARGH!! I checked the settings on my TV (Samsung 65" curved) as well as the Samsung soundbar and everything was set and connected just fine. Also, it only happens on this TV, not the two in the house connected to invidual HD boxes.

I did a ton or research and I FINALLY saw a suggestion in another post that immediately solved the issue: change the audio setting in the DVR to "Stereo" instead of the "Best Option" it auto-selects (Dolby 5.1 in my case.) As soon as I changed it, bam: no more glitchy audio. YAAAAY!

I hope this helps other people experiencing this extremely frustrating issue.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

6 years ago

Unfortunately that solution also disables Dolby Digital 5.1, which diminishes your enjoyment of movies and other programming that supports this audio codec when you have supported equipment. Of course, if you don't have audio hardware that supports this, you can disable it. 

I had a similar problem some time back, and I was able to fix it by turning off HDMI Link /CEC in my TV, resetting it to factory defaults, and using the optical connector from my TV to my Dolby Digital 5.1 soundbar rather than the HDMI-ARC connector. Mind you, it only affected my XG1v4 box when I had the resolution set to 2160p60 on HDMI 5, which is the only port that supports that resolution. 

Nowadays, my Apple TV 4k is connected to that port.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Your present DVR (pace) has been known to have intermittent audio issues. Looks like you may have a new 4K dvr on the way?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Hi darkangelic,

Thanks for the reply. I will have to tinker with my TV setting again and try your solutions. Hopefully they work with my configuration!

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote:
Your present DVR (pace) has been known to have intermittent audio issues. Looks like you may have a new 4K dvr on the way?

Hello Andrew,

Unfortunately, I tried the 4K box already and had issues getting picture to my Samsung 65" curved TV. I went through two boxes and even called a technician, who couldn't figure out the problem either. The signal wasn't coming through to the Samsung (he tested it on a portable monitor, and the TV in my bedroom was working just fine.) The set-up kept getting stuck after selecting the language on a screen that basically said to turn on the STB to continue. But, the remote wouldn't let me select the botton on the screen (my TV remote would select it, but nothing happened.) Then the TV would go black due to inactivity.

I just read in a different thread the culprit most likely is the CEC funtion on the Samsung TV. I'm going to go pick up another 4K box today and try disabling the CEC and hope it works!

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Hello Friends!

I have a few updates since my last post. The second 4K box I picked up didn't work on my Samsung 65" UHD TV, either. So, a tech came out that Saturday to troubleshoot. Long story short, he couldn't figure it out either and I ended keeping the HD DVR on my account since that one worked just fine....except for the still rampant audio glitches that only seem to happen on the Samsung; not the Visio or the Sceptre 4k TVs.

I read in a different thread the culprit most likely is the CEC/ARC funtion on the Samsung TV. I disabled the settings and the TV seemed to work fine for almost a week...then BAM! Audio glitches again. Meanwhile, I decided to give the 4K box another try since someone in another thread said it solved their problem with connecting the box to the Samsung TV. I picked another box up last week and instead of hooking it up to the Samsung, I hooked it up to the Sceptre in the bedroom. Lo and behold: the box connected with NO problems. I then hooked up the HD satellite box I had in the bedroom to the Samsung...and guess what? Hooked up with no problems. So far, no audio glitch problems. I even reenabled the CEC/ARC function and still no problems.

Fingers crossed...it's only been four days...LOL. But, hopefully hooking up the 4K box to my non-Samsung TV resolved the audio glitch problems for good. I'll post again should something change.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I've been reading your problems and solutions with your TV, etc.  We've had a terrible time with ours for weeks.  Video has been cutting in and out and garbled like we were losing Internet connection and even the screen would go blank.  To make it worse, every few words were muted for several seconds.

I called Xfinity and got tired of waiting online for Tech Support.  I called back and tried the automated help.  I asked to connect with TV issues.  Big surprise, the automation said the Xfinity box was offline!  It looked like it was online but a reset was done.  It didn't fix the problem.  I called back and used the automated help again but this time I requested help with Connection.  WiFi was reset.  I'm watching TV with no garbled screen and audio is perfect. 

I never use automated help, ever, but this time and so far, the resets fixed an unwatachable TV with no sound.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

In my observation, the audio drop-outs have nothing to do with a setting: When I’m having drop-outs, I un-plug the power to my DVR for a few seconds, then plug it back in: POOF, no more drop-outs. The responsiveness of the user interface exhibits the same behavior: It gradually becomes intolerably sluggish, eventually taking as many as five to ten seconds to respond to a click. I cycle the power off and on (by unplugging it, NOT just using the remote to shut it off and turn it on), and POOF, the user interface becomes fully responsive.

In my opinion as a software development engineer since the 1970’s, these two performance issues are related, and are caused by incompetent programming. The root cause is sloppy memory allocation/deallocation, leading to memory fragmentation and the resultant memory starvation, forcing memory paging to disk.

In my business, we have a simple saying to explain the cause: “C”-students should never be allowed to write software!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@RHenningsgard wrote:
In my observation, the audio drop-outs have nothing to do with a setting: When I’m having drop-outs, I un-plug the power to my DVR for a few seconds, then plug it back in: POOF, no more drop-outs. The responsiveness of the user interface exhibits the same behavior: It gradually becomes intolerably sluggish, eventually taking as many as five to ten seconds to respond to a click. I cycle the power off and on (by unplugging it, NOT just using the remote to shut it off and turn it on), and POOF, the user interface becomes fully responsive.

In my opinion as a software development engineer since the 1970’s, these two performance issues are related, and are caused by incompetent programming. The root cause is sloppy memory allocation/deallocation, leading to memory fragmentation and the resultant memory starvation, forcing memory paging to disk.

In my business, we have a simple saying to explain the cause: “C”-students should never be allowed to write software!

please use the voice command 'about' and reply with the line STB version...

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

STB Version PX001AN_3.0p26s1_PROD_sey

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@RHenningsgard wrote:
STB Version PX001AN_3.0p26s1_PROD_sey

you have the very oldest DVR that is known for audio dropout issues. swap for newest version 4 (yours is version 1) it is smaller and has no clock on the front. XG1v4

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5K Messages

5 years ago

Hello and thank you for using the Xfinity Forums for your concern, were you able to get this resolved?

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

I tried the stereo option on my LG tv it worked for awhile today is football and of course it's skipping like crazy. I had a tech out about 3 months ago and they tried to say it was my equipments fault and charge me for it. I can see I'm not the lone ranger but it's really frustrating to have to constantly be dealing with this. 4k TV with 5.1 Dolby soundsystem and I'm listening to stereo and it's skipping

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I’m having the same problem. It makes you mad enough to smash your tv. I have the version 1 box because the guys at the xfinity store were out of stock for the newest box. Going to go back in and get one and hopefully fixes it. I just spent 2 hours dunking with settings and replacing cords/cables and the Patriots game is nearly over now. Thanks Comcast fora
Charging so much for substandard service.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@wolfgirl wrote:
I tried the stereo option on my LG tv it worked for awhile today is football and of course it's skipping like crazy. I had a tech out about 3 months ago and they tried to say it was my equipments fault and charge me for it. I can see I'm not the lone ranger but it's really frustrating to have to constantly be dealing with this. 4k TV with 5.1 Dolby soundsystem and I'm listening to stereo and it's skipping

please use the voice remote "About". what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@The801Jerk wrote:
I’m having the same problem. It makes you mad enough to smash your tv. I have the version 1 box because the guys at the xfinity store were out of stock for the newest box. Going to go back in and get one and hopefully fixes it. I just spent 2 hours dunking with settings and replacing cords/cables and the Patriots game is nearly over now. Thanks Comcast fora
Charging so much for substandard service.

please use the voice remote "About". what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here