mattishere65's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, October 15th, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

Wireless Cable Box Still Works while in Router in Bridge Model?

I currently have the Xfi system and have my main modem/router set in bridge mode as I have it connected to a mesh wireless system (Linksys Velop Mesh Network).  From my research, I found out that I couldn't use a wireless cable box if my modem/router was set in bridge mode.  I wanted to try it so I picked up a wireless cable box and connected it to my new Sony TV.  I thought functionality would be limited but it worked perfectly fine. I was able to view the guide, watch TV, use voice commands on the remote, use the DVR and access the apps (YouTube, Netflix, etc.).  So I'm a bit stumped as I'm happy that it's working as I don't have coaxial in the room where the TV is located but don't know why Comcast indicates this will not work when the router is in bridge mode. What am I missing? Why is it working if Comcast indicates it can be used if your router is in bridge mode?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@mattishere65 wrote:

I currently have the Xfi system and have my main modem/router set in bridge mode as I have it connected to a mesh wireless system (Linksys Velop Mesh Network).  From my research, I found out that I couldn't use a wireless cable box if my modem/router was set in bridge mode.  I wanted to try it so I picked up a wireless cable box and connected it to my new Sony TV.  I thought functionality would be limited but it worked perfectly fine. I was able to view the guide, watch TV, use voice commands on the remote, use the DVR and access the apps (YouTube, Netflix, etc.).  So I'm a bit stumped as I'm happy that it's working as I don't have coaxial in the room where the TV is located but don't know why Comcast indicates this will not work when the router is in bridge mode. What am I missing? Why is it working if Comcast indicates it can be used if your router is in bridge mode?

using the xi6 play back a completed recording. when the navigation bar goes away press the OK button. do you see DVR bottom left of screen or 'cloud icon' DVR?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I see the cloud icon followed by "DVR."

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

What is IPTV? Also, I was told the wireless box wouldn't work at all and I'm able to see the guide, watch live TV, recorded TV, use the NetFlix app, etc.  So why does Comcast indicate this can't be used if your system is in bridge mode? It seems to work right? What am I missing here?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@mattishere65 wrote:

I see the cloud icon followed by "DVR."

that set top box is not able to 'see' your in-home DVR so it is using the cloud DVR similar to how your smart phone would be able to play cloud DVR recordings. basically the set top box is limited to IPTV. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@mattishere65 wrote:

What is IPTV? Also, I was told the wireless box wouldn't work at all and I'm able to see the guide, watch live TV, recorded TV, use the NetFlix app, etc.  So why does Comcast indicate this can't be used if your system is in bridge mode? It seems to work right? What am I missing here?

before MoCA and wireless MoCA (ethernet over wireless) the devices were connected via in-home coax cable. MoCA allows the devices to use tuners from a hub (xg1 DVR or xg2 companion), and play recordings from the in-home DVR from other MoCA connected devices. since your non-DVR set top box is not communicating with  an in-home DVR it goes to the cloud DVR. Same for inability to reach the hub's tuners for cable TV delivered channels, the non-DVR wireless box is going to the Comcast servers in the cloud (IP delivered TV aka IPTV). if you have an in-home DVR, the in-home network is not working so that your companion wireless set top box can communicated via MoCA.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for explaining that.  I appreciate your help.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

4 years ago

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I read through this post and am trying to setup a Google Nest mesh network with an XB6.  I have 3 TVs, one cabled, the others wireless.  When I put the XB6 in bridgemode I loose my wireless sets.  If I switch to an XB7 will the wireless TVs still work in bridgemode?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@Mike-77 wrote:

I read through this post and am trying to setup a Google Nest mesh network with an XB6.  I have 3 TVs, one cabled, the others wireless.  When I put the XB6 in bridgemode I loose my wireless sets.  If I switch to an XB7 will the wireless TVs still work in bridgemode?

when not in bridge mode the MoCA adapter is 'on' and the xi5/xi6 wireless can communicate with MoCA over ethernet. When in bridge mode (like my xb7) the MoCA is automatically disabled (off) and no wireless radios available to let the xi5/xi6 communicate. the Xb7 will only let one internet ethernet device be connected at a time, so an unmanaged switch is needed to connect any ethernet devices. So far no one at Comcast has explained why the xi5/6 do not have coax connection as an option. your own wireless router would have to determine how the google nest devices connect.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@Mike-77 wrote:

So it seems that there is no way to use any mesh network with Xfinity other than Xfinity's if you still want to use wireless connected TV boxes.  This stinks!! It also seems that the many reviews I have read on the net that recommend using Google Nest with Xfinity must not have any wireless tv boxes.  This is a major hole in their recommendations.  Am I missing anything?

Thanks

have you considered using (instead of set top boxes at some locations) using a modern roku or firestick Tv device?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

So it seems that there is no way to use any mesh network with Xfinity other than Xfinity's if you still want to use wireless connected TV boxes.  This stinks!! It also seems that the many reviews I have read on the net that recommend using Google Nest with Xfinity must not have any wireless tv boxes.  This is a major hole in their recommendations.  Am I missing anything?

Thanks

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here