RFed's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, November 16th, 2019 4:00 PM

Closed

Wi-Fi Passwords

Who is the genius (or dummy) that had the bright idea to allow for the wi-fi name and password to be diplayed on the TV screen when requested via the remote voice command? Don't you people know that passwords are best kept secret? If a guest wants to connect to the home wi-fi all they need to do is ask for the name and password, and not be able to use the remote voice command and have it displayed on the TV screen. BAD MOVE!!! You should eliminate that.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You can also go into settings and block that information if you don’t trust your guests

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

So, you are telling me to disable the voice command function on the remote because the "genius" at Xfinity saw it convenient to make it available via the remote. I'm sure you know that one needs to login to the gateway using a password to see what is the wi-fi password. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Nope, reread above, there’s nothing about disabling voice remote. Go into your settings to disable being able to see account information, that’s all you have to do. True, you still need a different password to get into the gateway but you’d have to share it, that one isn’t available to be seen

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

But most functions you can just browse through and see.  Why would anyone enter a PIN on their device without knowing what options it can control first?  I didn't so I can't explain what I would see if I did.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

Maybe there should be step-by-step instructions to do to that posted somewhere.  You can't even get to the right place to even see the option without setting a PIN first so you can't expect people to have found it on their own or even know the option exists.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

There’s a lot of nuances you won’t know or find unless you get into it and play around with menus and settings. There isn’t going to be step by step instructions for every little function but since you asked
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-parental-controls-service-locks
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-app

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I couldn't find within the settings using the Xfinity remote a feature to turn off viewing of the account info. However, when I logged on to xfinity.com/profile, in the settings there I could turn off viewing my account info so that it requires a PIN to be entered first. This action did not eliminate being able to see the wi-fi name and password using the remote's voice command "What's my wi-f- password".

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

RobertWy - Doesn't look like your answer will help solve my original question of how to prevent the wi-fi name and password from showing on the TV screen when asked using the remote's voice command. That question, "What's my Wi-Fi password", should be removed from the remote's voice command requests.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

Did you set a PIN and application lock on 'XFINITY xFi'?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

After a long coversation with the Xfinity agent looks like the only way to disable the wi-fi password viewing using the remote's voice command is by locking all the apps in the Parental Control app; a PIN needs to be entered to show the information. We discussed whether the "What's my wi-fi password" app could be set up like the "My Account" app, where one can go and set a lock to it without affecting any other apps, and view the account by entering a PIN. Note that by locking the "My Account" app on one TV does not lock it on any other TV's you may have in your house. To lock all of them with one action is best to go to xfinity.com/profile, Settings, and lock it in there; then it is locked from view on all TV's and the PIN is the numerical equivalent of the first four characters of your password for your Xfinity account. We'll see whether Xfinity takes the next step and provides some security to the wi-fi password display request.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I did this, both on xfnity.com/profile/settings, etc. and on the TV, and STILL, if you say Wifi Password into my remote, my PRIVATE password (or, not so private) shows up on the screen for anyone to view.  UGHHHH!!!  

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I followed the instructions to lock down all apps and then set a parental control pin.  Still, when I saw "Wifi Password" into my remote, my "private" password is displayed on the tv for anyone to see.  Very frustrating!!!!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here