Alex-M's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, June 22nd, 2020 4:00 AM

Closed

What style splitters and maybe filter(s) for system with second TV

I tried to replace 2 splitters on my Moms system that was having problems with the new second small TV box upstairs. The new ones I got from Radio Shack do not seem to work, no internet or TV even downstairs. Do I need to get MoCa (rated?) splitters. These are 75-ohm, 5-1100MHz.

Also the system has a splitter by the electric meter outside (under a deck) where it also has a ground and a filter. One line goes upstairs to the new small TV Box and the other goes downstairs to another filter, splitter and to the Wireless Gateway and a full size set top box. I'm wondering if there could be a problem  because of that second filter which is effectively between the 2 TV boxes.

The system did work when I originally set it up a few months ago but now all she gets are stations over the wireless app on the new "smart" TV.

Thanks for any help.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Like I posted above, remove the filters. There should be one at the point of entry or on the input of the first splitter. That splitter is what techs use

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Do you get onscreen error messages and are on the proper tv input?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks, Yes it is on the HDMI input the box is connected to (I have tried a different cable and a different input). And after about 2 min of searching there is a mesage that - there was a problem, please make sure cables are tight and restart - or similar, I am not at her house right now.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

So From your iquiry does that mean that the 2 issues I asked about have no bearing on a box not working? Or were you asking just to cove the basics?

Thanks, Alex

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Just additional information to try to help you. If it’s a moca filter, there should be one at the point of entry and that’s it. Can’t say for sure if it’s moca because you didn’t post any equipment models

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you, I will try and get all the box, modem, splitters and filter numbers tomorrow. The system is nothing fancy, 2 TVs (one is a new Samsung smart 4K one) and the wireless router. No DVRs or AV units. There is a blueray player but it has its own HDMI and works fine. (other than the remotes getting messed up ocasionally, but that I imagine is to be expected as my mom is 92.)

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Here is the list of equipment:

Main TV box; XG2v2-5

wireless gateway; TG1682G (no MoCa light on)

small box that is not working; XiC-C (Cisco D01AN1 or I)

2 splitters; Extreme BDS102H  -3.5dB(on outputs) 5-1002/EMI-130dB

2 filters SNLP-1GCWWS  PPC-347 attached to inputs of both splitters

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you, I will give that a try next time I can get there.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

All is working now. I suspect it was that 2nd filter but to be sure I replaced the coax to the TV box in question (it was 2 parts with a joiner) and replaced 2 splitters and the filter.

Thanks

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here