What happened to Smart Resume?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: What happened to Smart Resume?

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

deleted

RoberyWy.....oh my goodness....they have deleted the feature already? What  happened?

No, I just erased my reply.

=

WHEW! Thanks.  The feature has gotten so bad and I don't understand why no one at Comcast will address this on the forum.  Hardly any recorded HD shows on major networks are working with Smart Resume now. Very frustrating and disappointing. It worked much better when it was in LABs.

Highlighted
New Poster

I was watching  The Voice on DVR  just now  and my cable box in the middle of it suddenly turned itself off.  After  trying to figure out what happened. It came back on but the smart resume dissapeared. Upon further inspection it's gone out of all the shows I recorded. To make it worse,  NBC would not let me fast forward the commercials out at all.  I checked a few of my other shows and I could  fast foward but it's only a matter of time before that stops. I am going to call  Xfinity tomorrow but to me the obvious reason would be  pressure from the all  and advertisers. I always wondered about that when we got smart resume.  Ridiculous  with advertising spam telemarketers calling me all day.. we should be ALLOWED to stop it all when we have the option. Money talks.

Highlighted
New Poster

I don't believe you. they took out  because of pressure from advertisers.  There was no reason to remove it other then that.. 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@hawkmail wrote:

I don't believe you. they took out  because of pressure from advertisers.  There was no reason to remove it other then that.. 

It was there yesterday; they may have removed it from some channels, but I think this is still valid:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@hawkmail wrote:

----

Are you responding to something someone else posted on this subject? Reason I ask is that I don't see any post between the two of yours so looks like whomever replied to you deleted their response.

This Smart Resume issue is escalating as more and more shows are not  showing it. What really bothers me is that NO ONE from Comcast has said a word on this forum about what is happening. If the feature is going away...JUST SAY SO.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@hawkmail wrote:

It was there yesterday; they may have removed it from some channels, but I think this is still valid:

===

Robert....have you not been reading the reports on here of how erratic the feature has been for quite some time?. I will not address the 'new' cable network channels that supposedly have been added.  Basically..... Smart Resume  only works sometimes on primetime shows on NBC/FOX/ABC/CBS and you never know when it will work....no pattern.   On series recordings on those four major networks you never know which episodes its going to work on.  Why we have not had one peep out of a Comcast Forum Moderator is totally beyond me. Surely there has to be some explanation available.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@hawkmail wrote:

===

Robert....have you not been reading the reports on here of how erratic the feature has been for quite some time?. I will not address the 'new' cable network channels that supposedly have been added.  Basically..... Smart Resume  only works sometimes on primetime shows on NBC/FOX/ABC/CBS and you never know when it will work....no pattern.   On series recordings on those four major networks you never know which episodes its going to work on.  Why we have not had one peep out of a Comcast Forum Moderator is totally beyond me. Surely there has to be some explanation available.

Mine is working with my recordings of the supported networks.

Just saying; others may still have issues.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
New Poster

ok..  I went into the preferences of my X1 system  as suggested and it says it's on.. i turned it off and on. again.  Some SR's  are now  back working but most  shows that I pre recorded  are  missing the smart resume.. I hope they do work in the future.  ... Seems a bit odd that for a year it was working fine and now  they say it has issues.. anyway.  Hopefully Xfinity will allow this feature to remain.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Mine is working with my recordings of the supported networks.

Just saying; others may still have issues.

Robert....well you are one of the lucky ones but for the many for whom it is not working most of the time...we need some kind of input from official Comcast personnel on the forums. From years of experience its not like them not to address it when so many are voicing their concerns on here.

I have called several times to support and even with details provided to them as to how erratic it is.... all they offer is the channels/times  it is supported on and how to set it up. No escalation even offered. Its like they have no clue whatsoever. 

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@hawkmail wrote:

ok..  I went into the preferences of my X1 system  as suggested and it says it's on.. i turned it off and on. again.  Some SR's  are now  back working but most  shows that I pre recorded  are  missing the smart resume.. I hope they do work in the future.  ... Seems a bit odd that for a year it was working fine and now  they say it has issues.. anyway.  Hopefully Xfinity will allow this feature to remain.

===

I have tried that trick of turning it off/on several times but makes no difference here. I have restarted/refreshed too and no change.

If its not going to work as designed I think I would rather not have it than to be so frustrated when it doesn't work.  So  many "Oh No" echoing in my ear from hubby.

Highlighted
Expert

nothing has turned off any recording's ability to be fast forwarded, etc.  for information the described issue shows a bad recording 'fell over' to using the on-demand. since the normal fall-over is to cloud it is likely the home recorder didn't record at all (if a physical DVR is indeed in the home) and that is the reason it changed to on-demand. 

easy way to check is when that happens press the ok button when just the video is playing. lower left hand corner will display source (DVR, "cloud icon" DVR, on-demand, live TV wil show channel number). all of that is all off-topic to the OP re: smart resume. smart resume does not show except on home DVR playback.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

nothing has turned off any recording's ability to be fast forwarded, etc.  for information the described issue shows a bad recording 'fell over' to using the on-demand. since the normal fall-over is to cloud it is likely the home recorder didn't record at all (if a physical DVR is indeed in the home) and that is the reason it changed to on-demand. 

easy way to check is when that happens press the ok button when just the video is playing. lower left hand corner will display source (DVR, "cloud icon" DVR, on-demand, live TV wil show channel number). all of that is all off-topic to the OP re: smart resume. smart resume does not show except on home DVR playback.

Rustyben...I am really not clear as to what you are trying to say but let me offer this in my situation. All my current 100+  recordings are DVR...no cloud, no ON Demand. The ability to FF using Smart Resume is erratic at best and not specific to a network or time slot.

Highlighted
New Poster

Sorry but I've been with Comcast for at least 15 years. I think they get off on trying to torture their viewers like the smart resume thing if you're not sick to death of commercials and they are getting more and more numerous every break then you've got more patience than I do. The smart resume was to my mind the best thing that could ever happen especially when I'm busy with my hands making something, like toys for my birds or food for my family, whatever I don't have to sit there and wait to stop it when the commercials finally end and now that's gone.I think I'm just going to give up watching TV all together. Comcast has way too many problems already and canceling of smart resume just added to the many problems I have with Comcast.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

You can say 'forward two minutes" to your voice remote. to get close.

Highlighted
New Poster

Smart resume

Does anyone know why smart resume doesn’t work on Bravo hd first run shows recorded at 7 or 8 pm central?  It does appear to be working on RHOD, but not any of the others.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Smart resume

@Abvb wrote:

Does anyone know why smart resume doesn’t work on Bravo hd first run shows recorded at 7 or 8 pm central?  It does appear to be working on RHOD, but not any of the others.

If the channel number is higher that 999, that may be the issue?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@Abvb wrote:

If the channel number is higher that 999, that may be the issue?

---

I have never recorded anything on any channel higher than the 800s.

Highlighted
New Poster

The shows are all on channel 1463.  One show at 7 pm has the smart resume breaks in it.  Five others, recorded at 7 pm or 8 pm, don’t.  All are set up as series recordings with the same settings regarding hd and first run only.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Abvb wrote:

The shows are all on channel 1463.  One show at 7 pm has the smart resume breaks in it.  Five others, recorded at 7 pm or 8 pm, don’t.  All are set up as series recordings with the same settings regarding hd and first run only.

I have a duplicate channel below 1000; if you have it, you might try recording from it.

Highlighted
New Poster

What I did was reboot my main TV. I turned the power off for a few minutes and restarted it. Smart Resume is working again on the main channels.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Smart Resume now works with the Xfinity Stream website/app.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@LSC2 wrote:

What I did was reboot my main TV. I turned the power off for a few minutes and restarted it. Smart Resume is working again on the main channels.

Glad that worked for you! I have done that more than once along with restart/refresh and it didn't help at all......<sigh>

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It’s no longer shown as a feature in Comcast Labs, so I’m going to assume it’s gone for whatever reason. Probably return as a optional feature for a monthly fee.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

It's under Preferences>General now.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well, yes, yes it is. Thanks. Wonder why it didn’t work on programs recorded on Monday night that previously worked liked DWTS?
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@bagman01 wrote:
Well, yes, yes it is. Thanks. Wonder why it didn’t work on programs recorded on Monday night that previously worked liked DWTS?

There are regular - and somewhat random - complaints about it here.  My best guess is that the way it is processed for local broadcast channels sometimes doesn't work so there are different results in different areas. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well whether it works every time or not I still think it’s one of the best features offered. Glad to get it back. Thanks for your help.
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@lesmikesell wrote:

@bagman01 wrote:

There are regular - and somewhat random - complaints about it here.  My best guess is that the way it is processed for local broadcast channels sometimes doesn't work so there are different results in different areas. 

----

I sure hope thats not true. Mine worked very well as long as it was in Labs and sometimes after it was moved to the platform. Now its not working except on a few 30 minutes shows  and even those work randomly . I live in the  Wash DC Metro Area  and our 'local' channels are not exactly small town USA.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

I sure hope thats not true. Mine worked very well as long as it was in Labs and sometimes after it was moved to the platform. Now its not working except on a few 30 minutes shows  and even those work randomly . I live in the  Wash DC Metro Area  and our 'local' channels are not exactly small town USA.

Still, it is something with lots of places it can go wrong - and probably not a lot of local expertise to fix it everywhere.  I'm in the Chicago area and a few days ago our NBC station had audio cutting in and out all day.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@lesmikesell wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Still, it is something with lots of places it can go wrong - and probably not a lot of local expertise to fix it everywhere.  I'm in the Chicago area and a few days ago our NBC station had audio cutting in and out all day.

----

Seriously?  Comcast better have  expertise for the entire country and every locality therein. They have several tiers of technical support and can usually diagnose and fix issues remotely unless its a signal or equipment problem  in  a costomer  premise. This is not an isolated problem even if many locations are not having the issue.  Its been going on for quite some time and its time its addressed.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Smart Resume magically started to work on the major networks again a couple of months ago although no one posted to the thread.  I was afraid to jinx it so kept my hands off the forum.......lol.  All was well but now it will not work on recorded shows on CBS and this has been going on for two weeks. I have done all the appropriate resets,etc.

Anyone else?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Haven’t specifically noticed this on CBS but have noticed that the feature is kinda hit or miss on all the major networks. Have also noticed that the closing program scene is often included within the last commercial block. At least the feature is back . . . sometimes!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@bagman01 wrote:
Haven’t specifically noticed this on CBS but have noticed that the feature is kinda hit or miss on all the major networks. Have also noticed that the closing program scene is often included within the last commercial block. At least the feature is back . . . sometimes!

---

The feature was hit or miss for me and many others for months and  'crickets' from anyone from Comcast to explain it. Cust service was a joke too . When it came back we were elated and now its just CBS (so far) that does not work on any show recorded in prime time. I don't expect any explanation from any Comcast employee on here but thought I would throw it out there that its failing again.

Highlighted
New Poster

I think you should relax more about the Smart resume feature. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Enjoy it while you have it.

You basically said in the thread you would rather not have the feature than it be so hit or miss. So if it stresses you out you can turn the feature off.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Nope, never said that I would prefer not to have it if it didn’t work as well as before. Just commented on it being hit or miss.
Highlighted
Contributor

Right, don't think of Smart Resume as something you PAY FOR.  Think of it as something given to you out of the goodness of Xfinity's heart.  If it doesn't work, you have nothing to complain about.  It isn't like you're paying for it, right?

WRONG.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Got that right! And usually the only time you actually get any help from customer service is if they can talk you into upgrading your service to correct a problem.
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@DaveCrofton wrote:
I think you should relax more about the Smart resume feature. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Enjoy it while you have it.

You basically said in the thread you would rather not have the feature than it be so hit or miss. So if it stresses you out you can turn the feature off.

Bottom line is that the feature worked better when it was in Labs. It should NOT be hit or miss as so many of us have expressed. Its such a wonderful feature and should work OR they should fix it. Whats really frustrating is that unlike other features these forums have addressed  is that  over the months of complaints we have not gotten any input at all from any of the Comcast employee moderators as to what may be wrong and/or what they are going to do about it. They usually tell us that  an issue has been turned over to the developers, engineers, etc and Silence is NOT Golden when no one from Comcast has offered anything at all.  All we get is Crickets!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

TerriB I couldn't agree with you more. It's part of a service that we pay for dearly. And yet, we still get treated as if they were doing us a favor. Is a wonder why their base continues to drop as clients turn to streaming. One must as the question as to why you would offer/provide a service and not maintain it properly.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

I just logged in to check on this same concern. It was working 100 percent of the time and as of these last two weeks it is working 5 percent of the time.

Also, this is no longer a Beta feature. Why has it suddenly stopped working most the time?

This is definitely one of the best things Comcast has added to X1 and now it does not work.

Tek
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

My experience is that the Smart Resume feature does not always appear on every recording on my X1 boxes.  It seems to be random, but I need a larger sample to be sure.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

When it was working it would only function on the large networks, CBS, Fox, NBC, TNT, TBS, and such. 

The advertisers probably got to Comcast. 

Tek
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm beginning to believe that you're right. Frankly, I was kinda surprised the first time I noticed the feature. I remember saying to the wife, "Gee, that can't make the companies buying TV ads too happy." Perhaps, they're becoming less and less  happy and, consequently, the feature is becoming less and less useful.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@Tek wrote:

When it was working it would only function on the large networks, CBS, Fox, NBC, TNT, TBS, and such. 

The advertisers probably got to Comcast. 

The original description was that it would only work on the big 4.....NBC,FOX,ABC AND CBS.  Then they added CW, Bravo, HGTV, Discovery, MTV and TLC . We never had it at all except on the big 4 and then it went away and then  hit or miss and then it came back and now its hit or miss again.  

As far as the advertisers raising the roof over  skipping commercials........DVR  recording functionalality has allowed users to  FF thru commercials for many years (not just on Comcast) so I don't see the difference just because we had Smart Resume.  Its just another way to skip commercials....if only it worked. We started recording more than usual so we could avoid the commercials .

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, but the feature has been working on my box, just with fewer applicable channels than when it was originally put online.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

smothertucker4,

Just out of curiosity, what is the source of your info?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sorry, what info do you speak of? I’m just telling you about the capabilities on my device.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

bagman01, I wasn't talking to you, I was asking smothertucker4 how he/she found out about the software glitch.

Highlighted
New Poster

It used to work great but now it doesn't.  So why change?

Highlighted
Problem Solver

It is working fine for me. Do you not have it enabled in General Settings? 

Tek